View Full Version : Been to San Franciso?

MadMonk
08-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Edit: Or even better, San Francisco, dang fat fingers.

Fill me in! ;)

I'm going there in a few weeks for about a week. I'm staying around Union Square and attending a conference at Mascone Center. Not getting a rental car. I've never been, and I'm unsure of the how/where of getting around. What's the best ways around? Taxi? BART? Just walking? Looking at Google street view, there seems to be plenty to keep me busy (if I have any energy after spending all day at a conference).

wallbreaker
08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
I've done the city pass route, which gets you so much for your money. For like $60 something, you get 7 days of unlimited transport on the cable cars and buses. You also get into a bunch of stuff for free with a city pass like the Aquarium, the Academy of Sciences, and the Art Museum, so it's worth it.

Oh, and take a sweatshirt or a jacket. Or else be one of the millions that own their "had-to-buy-it-because-SF-gets-cold-in-the-evening-even-in-the-summer-overpriced-sweatshirt". I have one myself.

MadMonk
08-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I've done the city pass route, which gets you so much for your money. For like $60 something, you get 7 days of unlimited transport on the cable cars and buses. You also get into a bunch of stuff for free with a city pass like the Aquarium, the Academy of Sciences, and the Art Museum, so it's worth it.

Oh, and take a sweatshirt or a jacket. Or else be one of the millions that own their "had-to-buy-it-because-SF-gets-cold-in-the-evening-even-in-the-summer-overpriced-sweatshirt". I have one myself.

I'll have to look into that pass. I should get some sweatshirts printed up with that text on it. I might be able to sell a few there (at an enormous profit of course). :wink:

poe
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
San Francisco was good. I second the jacket suggestion; I went in July and it was FREEZING at the wharf and on the bay. The city itself is very iconic with great old buildings and plenty of hills to walk (and ride). Union Square was fantastic for people-watching and Lombard Street was really fun to see.

On the downside, I thought San Francisco was expensive. Also, I ended up in what I thought was a "risky" part of downtown; looked like a large concentration of transients (near the Hilton).

In all, it was a fun place to visit. Hope you have fun!

Double Edge
08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I've only passed through the airport but have several friends who live there. One works at the Exploratorium where there seems to always be interesting events and exhibits going on. Not just for kids, sometimes just for adults and they frequently have evening stuff.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/index.php

boscorama
08-17-2012, 07:48 PM
The hills are amazing. Last time I was there (in the 90's) panhandlers were ever-so-prevelant. To their credit, many of these people offered endearing entertainment as opposed to just asking for a handout.

ljbab728
08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
My brother used to live there and I visited many times when he did. It's a great city for just walking if you are in good shape for the hills. Don't miss Golden Gate Park. It's an ideal place for people watching along with the other attractions. There are too many wonderful restaurants to even begin mentioning. poe is correct that it's not an economy destination though. Although it's been too many years ago to remember, it's the first city I ever paid over $100 for a hotel room. Gee I wish that was available now. LOL

Lauri101
08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
It may sound hokey, but Alcatraz was really cool! We did the night tour and it was a bit spooky but also interesting.
If you aren't in good physical shape, definitely think about the City Pass for public transportation. Also - ride the trolley down as well as up. Walk to wharf, see the street performers. Eat ice cream at Ghirardelli Square - and get fudge samples.
Be careful in area around Chinatown after dark - lot of people who'd like to lighten your wallet and not always in a nice way. Be prepared to spend way more money than you planned - nothing cheap. We went in August and also had to buy a jacket, so assume you will need something.
All that being said - it's a place that should be on everyone's bucket list!

Just the facts
08-18-2012, 03:20 PM
To repeat what a lot of the other have said.

1) Don't get a rental car - you won't need it. Use BART for travel to the East Bay, CalTrain for West Bay and San Jose, Muni for San Fran, and Cable Car (will pick you up right in Union Sq.) to go to Fisherman's Warf. Once in San Jose you can use VTA light rail.

2) Lots of homeless - be prepared to be asked for money constantly. Make a sign that reads "I don't have any money" and hold it up while walking, unless you want to give them money, in which case you will quickly go broke.

3) Do not, I repeat, do not use a public bathroom. Piss your pants if you have to (you will fit right in - trust me). Hold it until you get back to your hotel or go while eating in a quality restaurant.

4) Bring the light jacket/sweater. My wife has two of those ""had-to-buy-it-because-SF-gets-cold-in-the-evening-even-in-the-summer-overpriced-sweatshirt". Also take one of those pocket umbrellas that fold up real small. If you do buy a sweatshirt, turn it inside-out before buying it, just to make sure the material on the inside matches the outside. I bought one that appeared to be made from 2 or more, possibly used, materials. On the outside a logo was screen printed over the seam and wasn't noticable.

5) Things to see off the beaten path: Alcatraz is a must do. You woun't be sorry you went. Go to the Cliff House, but don't eat there - the food sucks, however, the views are great. If you do rent a car go to the Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley at sunset and check out the view of San Fran.

6) Find out where the Tenderloin District is and then stay far away from it (FYI - it is about 3 blocks from the convention center). Broadway is were you will find the red light district. Go to Chinatown about 8AM and then decide if you ever want to eat there (you will find restaurants buying all kinds of animals from cages in the backs of white vans - no joke!). Alas, if you are going to eat pigeon, it might as well be fresh pigeon.

7) Finally, watch this video. It might save you from needing a hemoglobin shots when you get back.

D_0gr-oT-iM

adaniel
08-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with Just the Facts. Maybe because I was expecting Full House, but there is a certain "ick" factor about San Francisco. I've been to NYC (all boroughs except Staten Island), Philly, New Orleans, and Chicago and SF is more disguising than all of those. So just kind of brace yourself, and bring lots of Purel. The BART trains are nice but they have a "leaky sewer" smell to them. The MUNI buses are alright, but they can be very slow. Everyone is spot on about the relentlessly cold, damp weather.

Its not all bad, though. Make sure you go to Golden Gate Park. Also, make an effort to go to a taqueria for some burritos. SF kinda pioneered those Chiptole-style burritos. Taking a car down Lombard Street makes it almost worth it to rent a car (although personally I wouldn't). Some would say Fisherman's Wharf is overrated but I think its worth it for a quick visit. One thing I did not do but have had friends do is take a walking tour of Haight-Ashbury. In addition to having some relics of the hippie movement, there's great picture taking opportunities of "painted lady" Victorian Houses.

Just the facts
08-18-2012, 09:46 PM
So just kind of brace yourself, and bring lots of Purel.

Put a bottle of that stuff in a holster on your hip. Everytime I touched something I felt like I had to take a shower.

While in Fisherman's Wharf get some clam chowder in a sour dough bowl and visit Ghirardelli Square. Parking in the Warf area is very expensive (north of $30) but if you eat at Pier 39 you can get your parking validated for 2 hours after 6PM. Also, Hard Rock cafe is as good as any of the other 'local' restaurants and is actually cheaper.

RadicalModerate
08-19-2012, 07:38 AM
If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
(this helps to ward off panhandlers)

Swake2
08-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Edit: Or even better, San Francisco, dang fat fingers.

Fill me in! ;)

I'm going there in a few weeks for about a week. I'm staying around Union Square and attending a conference at Mascone Center. Not getting a rental car. I've never been, and I'm unsure of the how/where of getting around. What's the best ways around? Taxi? BART? Just walking? Looking at Google street view, there seems to be plenty to keep me busy (if I have any energy after spending all day at a conference).

Going to Dreamforce I am guessing?

stick47
08-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Red Garter Saloon. 1969. That's all I'll admit to. :Smiley208

MadMonk
08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
It may sound hokey, but Alcatraz was really cool! We did the night tour and it was a bit spooky but also interesting.
If you aren't in good physical shape, definitely think about the City Pass for public transportation. Also - ride the trolley down as well as up. Walk to wharf, see the street performers. Eat ice cream at Ghirardelli Square - and get fudge samples.
Be careful in area around Chinatown after dark - lot of people who'd like to lighten your wallet and not always in a nice way. Be prepared to spend way more money than you planned - nothing cheap. We went in August and also had to buy a jacket, so assume you will need something.
All that being said - it's a place that should be on everyone's bucket list!
Thanks. I've heard that if you want to see Alcatraz, you'd better have reservations ahead of time. Was that your experience?

To repeat what a lot of the other have said.
1) Don't get a rental car - you won't need it. Use BART for travel to the East Bay, CalTrain for West Bay and San Jose, Muni for San Fran, and Cable Car (will pick you up right in Union Sq.) to go to Fisherman's Warf. Once in San Jose you can use VTA light rail.

2) Lots of homeless - be prepared to be asked for money constantly. Make a sign that reads "I don't have any money" and hold it up while walking, unless you want to give them money, in which case you will quickly go broke.

3) Do not, I repeat, do not use a public bathroom. Piss your pants if you have to (you will fit right in - trust me). Hold it until you get back to your hotel or go while eating in a quality restaurant.

4) Bring the light jacket/sweater. My wife has two of those ""had-to-buy-it-because-SF-gets-cold-in-the-evening-even-in-the-summer-overpriced-sweatshirt". Also take one of those pocket umbrellas that fold up real small. If you do buy a sweatshirt, turn it inside-out before buying it, just to make sure the material on the inside matches the outside. I bought one that appeared to be made from 2 or more, possibly used, materials. On the outside a logo was screen printed over the seam and wasn't noticable.

5) Things to see off the beaten path: Alcatraz is a must do. You woun't be sorry you went. Go to the Cliff House, but don't eat there - the food sucks, however, the views are great. If you do rent a car go to the Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley at sunset and check out the view of San Fran.

6) Find out where the Tenderloin District is and then stay far away from it (FYI - it is about 3 blocks from the convention center). Broadway is were you will find the red light district. Go to Chinatown about 8AM and then decide if you ever want to eat there (you will find restaurants buying all kinds of animals from cages in the backs of white vans - no joke!). Alas, if you are going to eat pigeon, it might as well be fresh pigeon.

7) Finally, watch this video. It might save you from needing a hemoglobin shots when you get back.

Holy shnikes, thanks for the info, especially about the escalators. I've spent time in NYC, Boston, St. Louis and Chicago, so I don't think much will shock me, but its good to know some specific things to watch out for. I'm not interested in the red light district and I'm not really looking to experience a first-hand episode of Bizzare Foods in Chinatown. ;)

I have to agree with Just the Facts. Maybe because I was expecting Full House, but there is a certain "ick" factor about San Francisco. I've been to NYC (all boroughs except Staten Island), Philly, New Orleans, and Chicago and SF is more disguising than all of those. So just kind of brace yourself, and bring lots of Purel. The BART trains are nice but they have a "leaky sewer" smell to them. The MUNI buses are alright, but they can be very slow. Everyone is spot on about the relentlessly cold, damp weather.

Its not all bad, though. Make sure you go to Golden Gate Park. Also, make an effort to go to a taqueria for some burritos. SF kinda pioneered those Chiptole-style burritos. Taking a car down Lombard Street makes it almost worth it to rent a car (although personally I wouldn't). Some would say Fisherman's Wharf is overrated but I think its worth it for a quick visit. One thing I did not do but have had friends do is take a walking tour of Haight-Ashbury. In addition to having some relics of the hippie movement, there's great picture taking opportunities of "painted lady" Victorian Houses.
I'm not sure I'm going to have enough free time to do so much stuff, but I'll give it my best shot.

Going to Dreamforce I am guessing?
No, think more techie and less esoteric (also a few weeks earlier).

boscorama
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Point of interest: Scott McKenzie (Flowers in Your Hair) died today.

metro
08-20-2012, 08:21 PM
San Fran is one of the best cities to visit in the U.S. IMO, especially if you are a foodie. I disagree it's not as dirty as others lead you to believe. Plenty of hippies though. Now Oakland is scary though.

Go to Kara's cupcakes while in Ghiradelli Square (right next to Fishermans Wharf and Alcatraz) and not too far from Golden Gate Park or Chinatown. Really the whole city is very walkable.

Bunty
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM

] Why not use a public bathroom? Because the city doesn't have money to clean and maintain them? Someone there always waiting to grab your wallet?

And what's so bad about the Tenderloin? Is it a ghetto where the homosexuals hang out? If so, heck, I ain't afraid of any homosexuals. Since I'm just a troll, I could count on them to stay far away from me!

adaniel
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Why not use a public bathroom? Because the city doesn't have money to clean and maintain them? Someone there always waiting to grab your wallet?

And what's so bad about the Tenderloin? Is it a ghetto where the homosexuals hang out? If so, heck, I ain't afraid of any homosexuals. Since I'm just a troll, I could count on them to stay far away from me!

If JTF is referring to the little huts on Market Street that serve as the "self-cleaning" pay public toilets, then yes they should be avoided at all costs. I saw one and the door didn't even work, and what I saw just peeking in was pretty filthy. If you absolutely MUST go to the bathroom in public in big cities, go to one at a Starbucks and just grab a $4 cup of coffee. I figured this out in NYC.

The Tenderloin isn't terrible but should be avoided by tourists. It's the red light district/bum hangout of SF (the gay neighborhood is the Castro, if that's what you are thinking). The bad thing about the Tenderloin is its very close to some of the better neighborhoods of SF, like Nob Hill and SoMa (South of Market area). So the element in the Tenderloin bleeds out into these areas.

In any event SF is a cool town. I just think I'm more of a SoCal person lol.

Just the facts
08-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Why not use a public bathroom? Because the city doesn't have money to clean and maintain them? Someone there always waiting to grab your wallet?

Tenderloin District

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenderloin,_San_Francisco

The Tenderloin is a high-crime neighborhood, particularly violent street crime such as robbery and aggravated assault. Seven of the top ten violent crime plots (out of 665 in the entire city as measured by the San Francisco Police Department) are adjacent plots in the Tenderloin and Sixth and Market area. The neighborhood was considered to be the origin of a notorious Filipino gang Bahala Na Gang or BNG, a gang imported from the Philippines. In the late 1960s to the mid 1970s, the gang was involved in extortion, drug sales, and murder for hire.

Graffiti art is a common feature in the neighborhood as a featured artist Tie One was killed in the neighborhood.[15] Dealing and use of illicit drugs occurs on the streets. Property crimes are common, especially theft from parked vehicles. Violent acts occur more often here and are generally related to drugs. The area has been the scene of escalating drug violence in 2007, including brazen daylight shootings, as local gangs from San Francisco, and others from around the Bay Area battle for turf.[16] 14 of the city's 98 homicides took place in the area in 2007.[17]

Public Bathroom

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/It-s-time-to-raise-a-stink-over-public-toilets-2393868.php

Read the photo captions. What do you think those 2 people are doing in there? Clearly they weren't picking up the transh.

Bellaboo
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
If you want to see the redwoods, you'll need a car, and go to John Muir woods just to the west of Sausalito, which is just north of the Golden Gate bridge. It's about a 30 minute drive but well worth it. Stop in Sausalito, that is where 'Dock of the Bay' was written about....nice little laid back area.

I took a little tour bus from the warf area, which was a converted trolley car, for about 20 bucks. It was a great way to see the sights and learn the history for a couple of hours. But take a jacket, I went in August a few years back and it was 39 degrees in the morning.
If you want to go to Haight/Ashbury area, you can do it by public transit, I believe using the BART line from the Union station.

Go to Boudins at the warf for sourdough bread and you can get dungeness crab just accross the street. Alcatraz was great and if the stundents are back in school, you'll have no problem getting on the boat, otherwise, check with your concierge service at the hotel asap.....also Pier 39 is where the sea lions are on the barges....it's fun and all within a few blocks of each other.

If you want to rent a car for the day, there is a parking garage right in the warf area that you can do this, and it's not that expensive for a day. Several rental car companies are all in the same garage. It just north of Holiday Inn and the Hyatt.

bretthexum
08-21-2012, 09:24 AM
VMWorld?

boscorama
08-21-2012, 08:09 PM
John Muir woods? Is it the same John Muir who wrote the VW "Compleat Idiot" masterpiece?

Mel
08-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm bald. Can't wear flowers in my hair.

soonerguru
08-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Where the **** is San Franciso?

MadMonk
08-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Where the **** is San Franciso?
It's in Californa. ;)

MadMonk
08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
VMWorld?
Bingo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/DSCN3403.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/DSCN3405.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/DSCN3406.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/DSCN3407.jpg

Stan Silliman
08-30-2012, 06:26 PM
When my wife lived in San Francisco, her apartment was in the Tenderloin. She didn't realize it was a bad place. It was what she could afford and maybe, in the early 60s, it wasn't so bad.
We've always made a stop by her old apartment whenever we visit. Maybe not next time.
There's a cute boutique hotel called the Hotel David in the Theater District. We've stayed there and it was worth the money.
Fisherman's Wharf (take the trolley), Sausilito, Golden Gate Park, Top of the Mark, all worth while.
I'd rent a car just for one day to tour the neighborhoods and see some of the more scenic residences (if you're an architecture buff)
San Francisco U (Haight-Ashbury), and the other hoods are worthwhile.

MadMonk
08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Heading home this morning. It was a fun trip, I just wish I had more time for sightseeing. Thanks for the suggestions!