View Full Version : Nordstrom Rack

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
08-16-2012, 09:04 AM
$2 million building permit today to remodel 33,455 square feet in Belle Isle Station for Nordstrom Rack.

This would be the old Linens n' Things space, C1 below and the first of any type of Nordies in the state:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bistation.jpg

Skyline
08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Noting says Oklahoma like a Nordstrom rack next door to a Super Wal-Mart.

Pete
08-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Nordstrom Rack always goes in these types of "power centers".

Of course we would love to get a full-scale Nordies but a Rack will be a nice addition to the local market. I predict a smash hit.

Skyline
08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Yes, this is a nice addition for Okc and I agree with your prediction it will be a "smash hit".

I hope the people shopping at the Rack aren't surprised by what they see next door, the Belle Isle WM has a reputation.

Oil Capital
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Great news!

Larry OKC
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Will this be our second one? I was thinking we have one at the Outlet Mall???

Pete
08-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Will this be our second one? I was thinking we have one at the Outlet Mall???

No, this will be the first Nordstrom presence in the state.

Racks are massive stores, almost 35,000 square feet in this instance. An outlet store is usually well less than 10,000 sf.

progressiveboy
08-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Will this be our second one? I was thinking we have one at the Outlet Mall??? There is not one at the Outlet Mall? You may be thinking of Saks Off Fifth which is owned by Saks Fifth Avenue. Last time I was in the city, found some great shirts and shoes at Off Fifth! Nordstrom Rack will be a great addition to the OKC shopping scene. I shop at the NR at Park Lane in Dallas and it is absolutely a great store! I find lots of good things there as well!

potsy
08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice! Any inkling of completion dates yet?

BoulderSooner
08-16-2012, 10:55 AM
great add this is a wonderful addition to okc

Rover
08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Racks are massive stores, almost 35,000 square feet in this instance. An outlet store is usually well less than 10,000 sf.

I have been to one at Ontario Mills Outlet and it was very large, and they are in Grapevine Mills also, aren't they. They take anchor spots in Outlet malls too.

okcfollower
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I have been to one at Ontario Mills Outlet and it was very large, and they are in Grapevine Mills also, aren't they. They take anchor spots in Outlet malls too.

I wonder how fast this will move...since the building already exists.... Could we see it open before year end?

Pete
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Ontario Mills is 1.5 million square feet compared to OKC's Outlet stores which total about 350,000 sf.

Not nearly comparable and in OKC, Saks is the only larger tenant and it's only 25,000 sf.

My point was the Belle Isle power center is more typical for them than a small outlet mall. Most of their stores in California are not in an sort of outlet mall.

Soonerman
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

I think you're referring to Last Call by Neiman Marcus at Grapevine Mills.

onthestrip
08-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I wonder how fast this will move...since the building already exists.... Could we see it open before year end?

No reason it shouldn't be if they get started within the month.

Pete
08-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm sure they will push hard to be open before the Christmas season.

Their build-outs are pretty bare bones, so they may be able to knock it out pretty quickly.

http://mcparent.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/nordstrom-rack-store.jpg

jbkrems
08-16-2012, 05:41 PM
This is great news for OKC. At some point they will be finding space to get a real Nordstroms, now. But this is the first step!

soonerliberal
08-16-2012, 05:57 PM
This is AWESOME! I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more if this one goes well.

poe
08-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Fantastic!! Definitely wish Walmart wasn't next door, but you take what you can get.

okcfollower
08-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Fantastic!! Definitely wish Walmart wasn't next door, but you take what you can get.

I could see maybe one more opening as well...but maybe not as Dallas only has 4 of these stores total so having one will probably be it

ljbab728
08-16-2012, 10:23 PM
No, this will be the first Nordstrom presence in the state.

That's not possible, Pete. We're always being reminded that Tulsa gets everything first. LOL

http://newsok.com/nordstrom-rack-seeks-permit-for-belle-isle-station-in-oklahoma-city/article/3701538

Larry OKC
08-17-2012, 08:46 AM
There is not one at the Outlet Mall? You may be thinking of Saks Off Fifth which is owned by Saks Fifth Avenue. Last time I was in the city, found some great shirts and shoes at Off Fifth! Nordstrom Rack will be a great addition to the OKC shopping scene. I shop at the NR at Park Lane in Dallas and it is absolutely a great store! I find lots of good things there as well!

You are correct...I was thinking of Saks Off Fifth...Thanks!

Larry OKC
08-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm sure they will push hard to be open before the Christmas season.

Their build-outs are pretty bare bones, so they may be able to knock it out pretty quickly.

http://mcparent.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/nordstrom-rack-store.jpg
Looks like a K-Mart. I am a bit surprised by this, although it is clearance/overstock merchandise, seems like they would be interested in protecting the upscale image of the overall brand?? Looks like that could be accomplished in a couple of weeks, max.

BoulderSooner
08-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Looks like a K-Mart. I am a bit surprised by this, although it is clearance/overstock merchandise, seems like they would be interested in protecting the upscale image of the overall brand?? Looks like that could be accomplished in a couple of weeks, max.

the service people are very good .. and it has very high quality merch ... but other wise it is not much different than ross or marshalls ..

Larry OKC
08-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Went to Ross for the first time yesterday and was surprised by how much it looked like what Pete posted...the quality may be better but I would think they would want to protect the brand name more that what that pic showed. Considering the building and space already exists, does that pic look anything close to a $2 million building permit? How expensive can shoe & clothing racks be?

okcfollower
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Went to Ross for the first time yesterday and was surprised by how much it looked like what Pete posted...the quality may be better but I would think they would want to protect the brand name more that what that pic showed. Considering the building and space already exists, does that pic look anything close to a $2 million building permit? How expensive can shoe & clothing racks be?

The ones ive been in have been much cleaner and more space than what that picture shows.

progressiveboy
08-19-2012, 07:11 AM

One has to realize that this is not a "flagship" Nordstrom. The department stores are upscale and very nice in appearance. The "Rack" stores are considered a division of Nordstrom and they carry overstock items, last seasonal items etc.. I have found many great things at Nordstrom Racks including their private label items and overstock items. In some ways it is pretty much is like an Nordstrom but does not have the "overhead" or all the bells and whistles that a "Nordstrom" department store would have.

Snowman
08-20-2012, 06:56 AM

If they are doing anything to the interior walls, floors or exterior 2 million can get spent pretty fast. Also they probably do not have do get a permit on the racks unless they are built into the walls.

Mastermind
08-20-2012, 09:24 AM
If it's true, I will be so so happy because I've only been in OK for ten months, and living without a Rack was just killing me!
But I'm sort of skeptical... Racks usually open if there is an actual Nordstrom nearby; the pattern is Nordstrom first, THEN a Rack.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Rack opening before a full-line Nordstrom.. I honestly hope I'm wrong, but right now it's not making sense to me :/
I also checked Nordstrom Rack's fb, and when someone asked if they were really opening in OKC, they replied, "We don't have anything to announce at this time".

Larry OKC
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Mastermind: welcome to Oklahoma. I wouldn't read too much into the corporates "no comment". Corporations can do funny things. Think it was Dick's Sporting Goods that denied they were doing anything when they already had banners up at the locations "Dick's Sporting Goods Coming Soon". Steak and Shake opened a new location and it wasn't even listed on the companies site at all, not as a location or even a coming soon.

BoulderSooner
08-21-2012, 12:40 PM
If it's true, I will be so so happy because I've only been in OK for ten months, and living without a Rack was just killing me!
But I'm sort of skeptical... Racks usually open if there is an actual Nordstrom nearby; the pattern is Nordstrom first, THEN a Rack.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Rack opening before a full-line Nordstrom.. I honestly hope I'm wrong, but right now it's not making sense to me :/
I also checked Nordstrom Rack's fb, and when someone asked if they were really opening in OKC, they replied, "We don't have anything to announce at this time".

there are plenty of places with "racks" and no nordstroms

bluedogok
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
It isn't that uncommon for stores in the same class to have an outlet in a location without a main store. There was a Neiman-Marcus Last Call in Austin years before there was a main store. It wouldn't surprise me for a Rack to go in a market where a main store is not.

Pete
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Most the stores in the new OKC outlet mall don't have "full" stores in the area.

Mastermind
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Mastermind: welcome to Oklahoma. I wouldn't read too much into the corporates "no comment". Corporations can do funny things. Think it was Dick's Sporting Goods that denied they were doing anything when they already had banners up at the locations "Dick's Sporting Goods Coming Soon". Steak and Shake opened a new location and it wasn't even listed on the companies site at all, not as a location or even a coming soon.

Thank you! And again, I hope I'm wrong :redface:

there are plenty of places with "racks" and no nordstroms

Really? Can you give me a list of states? I was only under the assumption because a friend of mine is an Assistant Manager at a Rack..

Mastermind
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
So after some googling, I read an article about a Rack opening in Boise, ID back in April. It's apparently the third city to open a Rack without a full-line Nordstrom (the other two being Tucson and Manhattan. But Arizona has several full-line stores, and New York has one in Garden City, but is finally getting one in Manhattan in 2018. IMO it would be correct to say Boise is officially the first city to open/have a Rack only).
I will now join everyone else in this thread without any skepticism whatsoever :D

the michigander
08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I love this store everytime I visit my hometown in grand rapids, Michigan I stop there.

Teeg
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
REALLY?? Yay! I just visited a Nordstrom Rack for the first time in Chicago, and I threatened to move into their shoe department. Having one in the city is much more practical.

ShiroiHikari
08-30-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm excited for this.

dcsooner
08-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Why is everyone so excited? an Oklahoma store is not listed on their site as "coming soon". Has anyone seen construction or Pad buildout to support this enthusiasm?

Pete
08-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Why is everyone so excited? an Oklahoma store is not listed on their site as "coming soon". Has anyone seen construction or Pad buildout to support this enthusiasm?

If you look at the previous posts, you'll see there was a building permit under their name for this center.

There hasn't been an official announcement yet, but it's underway.

lifeistherapy
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Fresno, Ca has a rack without the main nordstrom...

Plutonic Panda
11-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know whats going on with this?

metro
11-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I haven't seen any movement on it, and the for lease sign is still up.

Plutonic Panda
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I haven't seen any movement on it, and the for lease sign is still up.:(

Stinger
12-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Any news?

Soonerman
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah whats the hold up??

progressiveboy
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Any news? According to the link below, it is slated to open in Spring 2013.

Nordstrom Rack seeks permit for Belle Isle Station in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/nordstrom-rack-seeks-permit-for-belle-isle-station-in-oklahoma-city/article/3701538)

Plutonic Panda
12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
I haven't been down there in awhile. Have they even started any work yet?

Pete
12-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm sure they've been concentrating on the stores they can get open by Christmas.

Betcha they'll get busy after the first of the year.

metro
12-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm sure they've been concentrating on the stores they can get open by Christmas.

Betcha they'll get busy after the first of the year.

Surely they could have remodeled by now. The permit was back in August. It's a basic remodel.

Pete
12-19-2012, 09:55 AM
As with all retail chains it's almost always a matter of limited resources to merchandise stores, not the construction itself.

These chains all have in-house personnel that can only handle so many projects at a time, and there is always a prioritization of the queue.

metro
12-22-2012, 05:26 PM
True that

Soonerman
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
So any news on Nordstrom Rack??

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
I knoooooow!!!!! What is the deal with this? I thought some were saying it might be open by Christmas.

ljbab728
02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
I knoooooow!!!!! What is the deal with this? I thought some were saying it might be open by Christmas.

Is it Christmas again already?

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I hope not lol

Mississippi Blues
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Did they ever say which Christmas they were talking about? ;)

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Come to think of it, nooooo. lol. ;)

Pete
04-04-2013, 06:57 PM
This has now been confirmed:

Nordstrom plans new Rack stores in San Francisco, Oklahoma City - Puget Sound Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/morning_call/2013/04/nordstrom-plans-new-rack-stores-in.html)

The approximately 34,000-square-foot store at Belle Isle Station in Oklahoma City is scheduled to open in fall 2013 and will be the retailer's first location in the state.

Dustin
04-04-2013, 08:07 PM
This is great for that area.