View Full Version : Where should I buy new iPad

Spartan
08-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I think I want one of the new iPads. Where should I buy one? They're the same price everywhere I think... is there any way I can support a local business if I'm going to shell out $500 for something that weighs less than a ballpoint pen??

... or do you guys know anywhere that would throw in a free case or any goodies like that? :)

BBatesokc
08-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Apple requires retailers to all sell their products for very close to the same price. Last I checked (months ago), Sam's had them for maybe $10 cheaper than Apple.

MacMall would give you $20 off if you opened a charge account.

Apple has them refurbished for around $50 cheaper and they come with the original warranty (so no risk).

At this point you could also probably find one used online. Kids get them as gifts and then school starts up and they want the cash. Just verify the serial number is still valid for warranty and its in good physical condition and you're good-to-go.

I always get the additional warranty (prefer SquareTrade).

Also, rumor has it a newer model may be released next month (possibly the Ipad4 or a smaller version of the current iPad).

BoulderSooner
08-16-2012, 05:55 AM
never get an additional warranty ... they are a huge waste of money ..

BBatesokc
08-16-2012, 06:28 AM

True in many circumstances. But not with portable electronics or those you use all the time. - like iPods, iPads, Laptops, iPhones, etc. Those items tend to get dropped, spilled on, used to death or otherwise abused and/or overused. And, you can rarely fix them yourself or cheaply. I don't buy extended warranties for things like my car (because it never seems to cover what actually goes wrong), my TV (mine seem to last 5+ years before I get rid of them), refrigerators, other appliances, etc.

I've used my SquareTrade warranty already to fix two things with my iPhone and once already to replace to iPad screen after I dropped it.

My Macs are on all the time and I'm constantly burning DVD's. I've already had to replace the superdrives in my MacBook Pro and my MacPro. I also had to have a $1,000 monitor replaced two years in (I never turn them off) and it was a free replacement under my $205 warranty.

Apple warranties and SquareTrade warranties are known for their coverage.

When I bought my MacPro from MacMall it was about $15,000. An additional two year warranty (which covered the desktop computer and the four cinema displays) was only $205. I've already had almost $2,000 in warranty replacement done (1 cinema display, a Superdrive, and some other issue).

Also, if I buy my video cameras (they are often donated by the manufacturer) then I get an extended warranty because I am very rough on them.

BoulderSooner
08-16-2012, 06:51 AM
you must be the most unlucky person in the world .. with your electronics

BBatesokc
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
you must be the most unlucky person in the world .. with your electronics

Not really. Its VERY common to drop a phone or iDevice and end up with a broken screen. Charging pins often break from constant charging (plugging/unplugging).

My computers are never turned off and I'm at them up to 12 hours a day.

Most people don't realize when the color from their computer monitors is no longer accurate to print production. When mine cannot be calibrated then I have it replaced under warranty.

DVD drives are notorious for breaking when used a lot (I average burning 30 DVDs a week) and processors overheat. Nothing exceptional or 'unlucky' about it. Just a cost of business.

Not only are is the cost of the warranty pretty low compared to out of pocket repair or replacement, but having an existing warranty when you sell an item like a higher end computer also increases its value.

The decision to buy a warranty is also a no brainer if you work for yourself. Its a deductible expense, so there's really no reason not too.

onthestrip
08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Arent you a student Spartan? If so its a no brainer to buy from the apple store. Students get something like 15% off.

BBatesokc
08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Arent you a student Spartan? If so its a no brainer to buy from the apple store. Students get something like 15% off.

Actually, last I saw, students pay full price but get a $50 credit to buy apps at the app store.

Lord Helmet
08-16-2012, 12:23 PM

I never do on iPads, iPhones etc...but I ALWAYS get Applecare on my MacBooks. Laptops have moving parts etc and don't hold up as well as a solid state device like an iPad. With my last MacBook I had 3 different things go wrong or break. They always replaced it or fixed it. No questions asked. I'd have ben SOL without it.

Spartan
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Well not a student anymore, but I have all my student cards still, including one from the last year. I'm also adjunct teaching one course and should be getting a faculty card if that's worth anything. I've never gotten a student discount before because my old iPad was a gift, so unsure how it works.

Can I get a refurbished iPad 3 at the Apple store? And there is no way to buy an iPad at any local business? (SMDH)

flintysooner
08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I think I saw an iPad in the CPR store in Moore.

OkieHornet
08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
i got my ipad at target. like brian said, most every place sells for the same price, but target had a deal where you got a $25 gift card with purchase of an ipad.

i didn't get the applecare because i put it on my discover card, which doubles manufacturer's warranties.

BBatesokc
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
You can buy them at WalMart, Target and Best Buy for sure.

Refurbished is only through Apple.com as far as I know.

I usually hold off on the Apple extended warranty until the original warranty is a week or so from expiring.

1972ford
08-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Help best buy stay in business lol

Spartan
08-25-2012, 08:32 AM
So iPad cases... Do they have to be so flimsy? None of these appear to have any protective qualities whatsoever, purely aesthetic. I'm terrified of dropping this thing :/

okieinindy
08-25-2012, 08:45 AM
So iPad cases... Do they have to be so flimsy? None of these appear to have any protective qualities whatsoever, purely aesthetic. I'm terrified of dropping this thing :/
http://www.brookstone.com/bluetooth-keyboard-portfolio-case-ipad2?bkiid=World_Landing_Page_Electronics_Accesso ries_for_Apple|CategoryWidget|774921p&catId=

bluedogok
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Apple and HP control their pricing greatly, you rarely see anything "on sale" from Apple and HP items "on sale" are usually that way everywhere because it is an authorized HP sale. They do not discount to resellers near as much as some manufacturers so there is less margin to discount. I know that Micro Center here in Denver has the current iPad line "discounted" about $20-30 off list.

Spartan - Here's a Pelican iPad case (http://pelican.com/1075/) if you really want protection.

I guess others are just harder on their stuff than I am, I rarely drop those type of items and other than some wear on the case my 2 y.o. Droid Incredible looks almost new. A co-worker had his new iPhone (renewed his contract last March) stolen so I gave him my old Cingular Samsung Blackjack to use until he figured out what he was going to do, he asked if I had ever used it. It is a 6 y.o phone that I used for two years prior to getting an iPhone 3G, which I gave away last year since I left AT&T when I got the Incredible and the iPhone hardly had a scratch on it and I don't tend to use cases/sleeves on them since they are bulkier in my pocket. I have bought extended warranties on the last two vehicles, my wife's 2007 4Runner and my 2012 Kawasaki Concours14 just because of the amount of electronics in them, they were extensions of the factory warranty (the 4Runner was a CPO and the C14 was new) and verified that major components like that were covered, on most other items I don't get extended warranties because I have rarely had a need to use them.

metro
08-27-2012, 08:51 AM
There are TONS of industrial strength cases.
Otterbox comes to mind, although I prefer the armored cases from Griffin, they're cheaper and mil-spec. I think the DoDo cases are cool too.

BBates - I disagree on the warranties for personal use, you are a super power user. I'm a power user and have never had to replace anything in the last 4 years. For what you do, which is rare, then yes it makes sense.

onthestrip
08-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Try the metal cover that doubles as bluetooth keyboard and ipad stand made by Zagg. Its slim, keeps it fairly protected and props up you ipad