View Full Version : State of Emergency Declared in DALLAS.

ou48A
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
DALLAS | Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11pm EDT

DALLAS (Reuters) - The mayor of Dallas declared a state of emergency in the ninth largest U.S. city on Wednesday to combat the spread of West Nile virus infections, which have been more prevalent than usual in Texas and other states this year.

There have been more cases of West Nile virus reported so far this year than any year since the disease was first detected in the United States in 1999, the Centers for Disease Control said on its website.

Nearly half of the 693 human cases of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus infections reported this year to the CDC have been in Texas, along with 14 of the 26 deaths confirmed by the federal agency as of Tuesday.

The Texas health department said the number of cases of West Nile in the state had reached 465 and there had been 17 deaths. There is a lag in the CDC confirming cases and deaths.

The emergency declaration by Mayor Mike Rawlings followed a similar action last week by Dallas County officials and paves the way for aerial pesticide spraying to begin this week.

Aerial spraying also is being used elsewhere, including in neighborhoods in New York City and Sacramento, California, to combat the spread of West Nile virus. Officials say such spraying is the most effective way to fight the mosquitoes that carry the disease despite safety concerns about exposing people to chemical pesticides.

"We are on track to have the worst year ever for West Nile virus in Texas," said Christine Mann, a spokeswoman for the Texas health department, adding that the number of cases was triple the previous high year of 2003.

It is not clear why the number of West Nile cases in Texas is so high. It could be related to a warmer winter and rainy spring that has contributed to an increased mosquito population, Mann said.

West Nile virus usually flares up in the summer because it is most often transmitted by mosquito bites. People infected can suffer fever and aches that can become severe or even cause death, especially of the elderly, children and other at risk groups. There is no specific treatment for the West Nile infection.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/15/us-usa-health-westnile-idUSBRE87E0ZO20120815

ou48A
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM
If it ever rains this is likely to be an even bigger problem around our area.
I hope our city area governments have an aggressive plan to protect our population.

Roadhawg
08-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Debzkidz
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a relative that is one of those Texas statistics. This stuff can be scary. This stuff caused a healthy, active woman to require a walker just to be able to get around her house, and can usually spend no more than a few minutes at a time even sitting up. She's been sick with this stuff for more than a more than a month, and spent several days in the hospital. I used to not real think much about it, but now when I go outside, I freak out. I'm constantly thinking there's a mosquito on me. Spray people. Spray!

SoonerDave
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Bring back DDT.

Seriously.

OKCisOK4me
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, News9's little story about it last night freaked me out. Seriously. Mosquitos love me. What is it? A scent? A pheromone? My blood type? I'm going somewhere tonight to buy spray or whatever.

SoonerDave
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, News9's little story about it last night freaked me out. Seriously. Mosquitos love me. What is it? A scent? A pheromone? My blood type? I'm going somewhere tonight to buy spray or whatever.

I don't know, but man they go crazy for my wife, but typically leave me alone. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I sweat *a lot*, but it takes quite a bit for her to start perspiring. I wonder if the sodium naturally present in the perspiration does something to put the bugs off...

OKCisOK4me
08-16-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know, but man they go crazy for my wife, but typically leave me alone. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I sweat *a lot*, but it takes quite a bit for her to start perspiring. I wonder if the sodium naturally present in the perspiration does something to put the bugs off...

Found this little article on the web. It's from 2010, but research to determine what draws them toward certain people and not others is still going on. I read about 4 articles and this one seemed the most informative.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/33/75510-mosquito-magnet-bugs-summer

boscorama
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Popular stuff says that a Bounce sheet rubbed on ones body repels mosquitoes. The critters leave me alone but other pests that sting seem to be attracted to me. Working outdoors I wear a Bounce sheet and have never been stung while doing so. Not claiming Bounce helps but hey, I'm going to keep one in a pocket (or somewhere) till this situation runs its course. Won't hurt, might help.

bandnerd
08-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Popular stuff says that a Bounce sheet rubbed on ones body repels mosquitoes. The critters leave me alone but other pests that sting seem to be attracted to me. Working outdoors I wear a Bounce sheet and have never been stung while doing so. Not claiming Bounce helps but hey, I'm going to keep one in a pocket (or somewhere) till this situation runs its course. Won't hurt, might help.

It works for me, as well.

ou48A
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Something that seems to help’s me is taking Oil of Oregano.
If I know I likely to be someplace where mosquitoes are I will take one pill…. With food….

HewenttoJared
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I like how all the press releases about this story mention that involves a change in climate patterns and that the change is a sign of things to come and still somehow avoid making the obvious connection to climate change.

http://evol-eco.blogspot.com/2009/04/climate-change-increases-west-nile.html

ljbab728
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Sighhhhhhh.

metro
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I like how all the press releases about this story mention that involves a change in climate patterns and that the change is a sign of things to come and still somehow avoid making the obvious connection to climate change.

http://evol-eco.blogspot.com/2009/04/climate-change-increases-west-nile.html
We must alert Al Gore

UnclePete
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Did you see the lame excuses in Saturday's paper for not spraying? The two people whose names were mentioned should be embarrassed and ashamed. If the city did not want to spend the money to spray, then just say so.

HewenttoJared
08-21-2012, 06:18 PM
We must alert Al Gore

He's a reader, so I'm pretty sure he already knows.