View Full Version : No Whoopie for you!! HA! Love this!!!

FFLady
08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220815pie_in_the_sky_bakers_attempt_to_block_ebt _users_from_buying_sweets_is_deemed_/srvc=home%26position=0

MadMonk
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
This lady needs to set up a website to sell her pies ASAP. She'd make millions.

Roadhawg
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree with her.

Dubya61
08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't agree with her. Since when are pies a luxury. She's taking a stand. That's great. As a businessperson, she's restricting her customer base. EBT users should be able to buy any food they want with the card. Maybe they scrimped and saved all ... what? week? month? (I don't know) to give themselves a sweet treat but, like me, are rotten bakers. Can't they buy a pie? Maybe they've really been out there hitting the pavement really looking for a job or better condition and just don't have time to bake? I know I'm making excuses, but using EBT doesn't mean you have to eat ramen noodles and cheap mac and cheese all the time. Sometimes it feels good to have dessert. What I'm against is using your EBT card at the Murphy gas pump. Maybe I'm confusing WIC and EBT, but EBT should be for food, I think, and until I've seen anybody's weekly, monthly, whatever period EBT comes out in food consumption, I'm not gonna ridicule someone for using their card on pies.

Is there a line? maybe lobster when you don't live on a coast.

Easy180
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Usually annoyed by this kind of thing but siding with the lady on this one

Achilleslastand
08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Good for her...........
I say we do away with the EBT cards altogether.......which sadly they have made to look like a Visa.
Give them the old school booklets with all the food stamps denominations inside printed on pink paper to at least bring back some of the shame involved.

Roadhawg
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Good for her...........
I say we do away with the EBT cards altogether.......which sadly they have made to look like a Visa.
Give them the old school booklets with all the food stamps denominations inside printed on pink paper to at least bring back some of the shame involved.

What shame is there when you don't have the ability to feed your family and need assistance? The only shame I see is jackasses who look down on people who need help.

Achilleslastand
08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
What shame is there when you don't have the ability to feed your family and need assistance? The only shame I see is jackasses who look down on people who need help.

You know exactly whom i am talking about here......
I have no problem with people who are genuinely in need.....Its the people that abuse the system and use them as a way of life instead of a handup.

mcca7596
08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I have no problem with people who are genuinely in need.....Its the people that abuse the system and use them as a way of life instead of a handup.

Which is a good half or more of them.

BBatesokc
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Good for her...........

I agree 100%.

They have removed all shame from being on welfare and food stamps, etc. Certainly those services have a place, but far too many exploit those services and even brag about them.

I say do away with foodstamp cards that can be used anywhere and require recipients to shop at the WIC type stores. You can get all the fresh fruits, veggies, grains, dairy and meat you want - but there will be none of the other crap people stand in line at 7-11 to buy with their cards.

Off the top of my head I'd prefer food stamps to be available like they are now but for a set (and strict) limited time unless you are either deemed disabled, elderly, or full time in school.

As for the woman in this story - I say good for her.

I'm a bit confused on the buy a token with your foodstamp card to redeem for something else (seems ripe for abuse). Would that even be legal in Oklahoma?

Roadhawg
08-16-2012, 08:20 AM

I agree the system is abused but you made a blanket statement that covered all who used them.

kevinpate
08-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm a bit confused on the buy a token with your foodstamp card to redeem for something else (seems ripe for abuse). Would that even be legal in Oklahoma?

While I don't agree with the position taken by the woman, she is free to take it as a business decision for her operation.

If that particular market develops a business decision that all their vendors will participate, she is free to retain her objection, though she would then need to stand her ground elsewhere and not in the spaces they make available.

Her position is valid for her, as is their position for the market as a whole, irrespective of which way they go.

That being noted, I don't think OK is set up to permit a buy tokens and then use tokens in lieu of the provided cards. There are certain food items which can not be purchased on existing cards (if memory serves.) I don't see how a open ended token option would be workable here at all.

Lord Helmet
08-16-2012, 09:43 AM

I would imagine that using the EBT cards is actually cheaper for the government...no printing...no paper...etc.

I do think there should be limits as to what you can buy though...much like the WIC program.