View Full Version : Chespeake expanding...Laredo's Moving

Patrick
05-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Laredos Mexican restaurant has been mentioned many times on this forum. Many people here seem to like it, and a few think it's just as good if not better than Ted's. Well, it won't be found on NW 63rd St. for too much longer. Chesapeake is once again expanding and they purchased the restaurant. Personally, I feel this is a win win for both establishments. I think it's great that Chesapeake continues to expand, while, I'll look forward to seeing Laredo's in the same area, but an updated facility. Glad to hear also that Chesapeake has been nice and fair about it all. That's probably why the owner was so willing to work with Chesapeake. I'll bet the offering prce wasn't too bad though either! :)

Not sure where Laredo's is moving, but I'd imagine it will still be in the Belle Isle/Western Area. Belle Isle Station might be a possiblity.

By the way, some of the state office buildings in the same area have also been bought out, OKDHS being one of them. Not sure where they're moving yet. Maybe the state will build them a new building on Lincoln to fill in some of that empty space Keating left us with.

-----------
"Restaurant moving to make way for progress
By Charles Bassett
News9

The following is a script from a News9 broadcast
A popular metro restaurant is about to shut it doors temporarily to make room for growth.

It's not the only one -- in the coming months, you will see several of your favorite eating spots relocating.

Charles Bassett shows us how one business is adjusting to the change.

Laredo's Mexican Restaurant has been at this location for the past 19 years.

Tomorrow, they will close the business and the building will be torn down.

But management doesn't see that as a bad thing.

Fine Mexican foods are what Laredo's is known for -- it's a family tradition. Luis Alvarado, great uncle of the present owners, opened the first Mexican restaurants in the city.

Julian Gonzalez's father built the present facility at this location. But now he's about to say goodbye to the family jewel.

Laredo's is one of several businesses along 63rd between Western and Classen bought out by Chesapeake Energy so the company can expand.

"Change is always inevitable. You can choose to look at the glass half-full or half-empty and we definitely have the half-full attitude here," Gonzalez said.

That's a good attitude to have, especially when you have to break the news to loyal customers like these.

Virginia Campbell has been bringing her family here for the past 15 years.

The restaurant won't leave its customers high and dry. It plans to reopen in six to eight months -- but in a different location.

Architects are already drawing up designs for a completely new building

While the look will be different, management says some things won't change.

Gonzalez tells us throughout this buyout, Chesapeake Energy has been fair and easy to work with.

Laredo's has about 30 employees who will be temporarily laid off until the new restaurant opens."

brianinok
05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
That would be nice if they moved to Lincoln and built them a nice building. There is quite a bit of open land there. Although, I like that open land better than the slums that were there before that.

Larado's is good, IMO. I like it better than Ted's. But that's not saying much-- I don't see what all the fuss is over Ted's. It's good enough, but not wait-3-hours-for-a-table good.