View Full Version : Why do people around here decide to be fat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 07:26 AM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-adults-among-most-obese-in-country-new-data-show/article/3700641

Nearly one-third of adults in Oklahoma are obese, according to figures released Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Oklahoma is the sixth-most obese state in the country.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-adults-among-most-obese-in-country-new-data-show/article/3700641#ixzz23WiYKQ00

kevinpate
08-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Chicken fry .... an addiction to die for.

- An Addict

Jesseda
08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-adults-among-most-obese-in-country-new-data-show/article/3700641

Nearly one-third of adults in Oklahoma are obese, according to figures released Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Oklahoma is the sixth-most obese state in the country.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-adults-among-most-obese-in-country-new-data-show/article/3700641#ixzz23WiYKQ00

Why do people decide to smoke crack?
Why do people decide to drink?
why do people decide to smoke?
Why do people decide to be to skinny?
Why do people decide to ask stupid Questions?

a lot of people make poor choices in life and a lot of them try to change it, but its an addiction like almost everything else.

Roadhawg
08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
crake? ahh you fixed it :) Over eating and not exercising is an addiction? Asking stupid questions isn't an addiction but giving stupid responses might be.

Jesseda
08-14-2012, 07:34 AM
lol I created a new drug street word, lol. I corrected it. " some people turn to food others turn to drugs"

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
They have to drive a car for EVERYTHING. My wife is over-weight and you should hear her complain when I don't park as close to the door as I can. I was pushing the weight limit myself but I started riding my bike for local errands and parking as far from the 'front door' as I can. I lost 25 pounds in 12 weeks.

The math is pretty simple: calories in minus calories burned equals weight. If you don't burn any calories what do you think happens?

Roadhawg
08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
lol I created a new drug street word, lol. I corrected it. " some people turn to food others turn to drugs"

I was wondering if that was a new drug *lol* Not all people that are obese are addicted to food, in fact I'm willing to bet very few are.

CuatrodeMayo
08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
My wife is over-weight and you should hear her complain when I don't park as close to the door as I can.

She obviously never reads this message board...

Pete
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
It's cultural and it goes deep.

The amount of fast-food restaurants in Oklahoma is absolutely stunning and there are more all the time, so they must be making good money.

Add to that the non-recreation environment and you have a formula for fat.

People forget that until recently, there were virtually zero walking/biking/running trails. Lake Hefner -- situated right in the middle of the best area of town -- was nothing but mud and weeds and one small non-rec park for decades. And of course, there aren't even sidewalks in about 98% of the city.

Even now, there are more recreation options but we are still lightyears behind most cities.

If and when there is another MAPS, I would like it to focus on parks, sports facilities, trails, sidewalks and the streetcar. ANYTHING to get people out of their cars and the drive-thru.

And of course, the absurd sprawl makes it hard to provide these amenities to the majority of the population.

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 07:54 AM
She obviously never reads this message board...

She knows she's over-weight. The irony is she uses that as the reason why she wants me to park closer to the door.

To Pete's point about drive-thrus, I wouldn't mind if they were 100% banned. I NEVER use them. If you can't walk 50 feet to get a dang 2000 calorie meal you have a mental disorder. I am not sure it is cultural though, it is more environmental. Fat people today don't come for generations of fat people and for the first time in human history a single person in America can have a simultaneous poverty and obesity problem.

progressiveboy
08-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Like Pete stated it is a "Cultural Thing". The Southern diet has a big correlation with "fried". Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Okra, Fried Potatos, etc... I also believe it is a mindset with people. People have resigned to believing that they are addicted to these types of foods and believe they can not change their mindset. Basically, they made up their minds that they cannot change or they do not wish to change, or perhaps both?

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Like Pete stated it is a "Cultural Thing". The Southern diet has a big correlation with "fried". Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Okra, Fried Potatos, etc... I also believe it is a mindset with people. People have resigned to believing that they are addicted to these types of foods and believe they can not change their mindset. Basically, they made up their minds that they cannot change or they do not wish to change, or perhaps both?

The southern diet has been around since the early 1700's, obesity started about 40 years ago. Like I said, I don't think it is cultural because we don't have generations of fat people and fat people are not limited to the South. The correlation seems to be directly related to sprawl.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Obviously, the government needs to step up to plate and do something about this. First, They should make it illegal to eat in any publlic buildings or on any property belonging to the state. Next, they should take over all fast food outlets, ban the use of currency in exchange for doses of the societal poison that they--the evil "fat food" industry--foists on an unsuspecting public and begin issuing food rationing coupons that limit the intake of these substances. Eventually the public will be weaned from its addiction and goverment can take it out for a walk. Government could hire Jim Gaffigan as a spokesperson for the campaign.

"The correlation seems to be directly related to sprawl."
('we hold these truths to be self-evident' . . . =)

Jake
08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
It's true that the Southern diet has been around for a long time but in the past people would work outside almost all day. It might be possible to eat fried chicken and fried whatnot and stay skinny (I don't know about necessarily being "healthy") but be prepared to work your butt off working out and/or doing some sort of manual labor from sun up to sun down.

It's true what Just the facts said: If you don't burn off what you eat, you get fat.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2012, 08:39 AM
There was a time when carrying around a few extra pounds was a sign of prosperity . . .
It indicated that you let your money and other people do your work for you.
http://devan1.tripod.com/Pics/Jabba.jpg

(i can barely imagine how obese I would be if i really liked fried food)

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah, it really isn't hard to figure out. Exercise and watch what/how much you eat. When you're lazy and don't care enough about yourself you become obese and unhealthy. Seems many choose to be lazy.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Exactly. It's not a mystery. Except of course for folks with "slow metabolisms" . . . (and big appetites) =)

Quick, no kidding, question: How, exactly, is "fast food" defined?
I can make a really good--non-fried--fish dinner in less than thirty minutes.

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, it really isn't hard to figure out. Exercise and watch what/how much you eat. When you're lazy and don't care enough about yourself you become obese and unhealthy. Seems many choose to be lazy.

A lot of it has to do with making decisions that have unintended consequences (one of those being obesity). When you choose to live in area that forces you to drive a car (which burns the same calories as sleeping) to get everything you need then the side effect of that is that you don't burn many additional calories during your waking hours then you do during your sleeping hours.

Pete
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
The question isn't why people are fat, because that's easy to understand.

The real question is why are people in Oklahoma fatter than almost any other state?

I stand by my earlier statements. Yes, as a country we are fatties but the problem is particularly acute in Oklahoma for specific reasons.

And the only way to change things -- at least in OKC -- is provide and promote a culture of being out and exercising and trying to eat healthier. Those things can be shaped by the government if the citizens are behind it.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Or if the government is behind the citizens . . . with a cattle prod.
Maybe it's that it is so horrible, boring and depressing in Oklahoma that there is nothing to do for joy but eat?
Nah. That ain't it . . .
(note: i was NOT serious about my comment regarding joyful opportunities in the Sooner State, but that may only be my opinion.)

LaceyNewman
08-14-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/08/14/breaking-oklahomans-arent-all-fat/ The Lost Ogle just posted this list of suggestions as to how we can push our way to #1 status. ;)

A lot more of us have office jobs than we did 40 years ago. I don't think people used to have to go to the gym. They probably walked a great deal more and had more physical jobs. There is a heck of a lot more fast food in our face. I don't know how many people really *like* fast food as compared to those who have 10 minutes to get something for lunch and just grab the quickest thing. There is added sugar in pretty much every processed food from bread to meats, and that's added calories. Also as more of the state gets fat, there is more fat acceptance. As fat becomes normal, slim becomes more of an unobtainable goal, more freakish. There was an interesting article a few years back about peer pressure, peer acceptance, and fat friends making you more likely to be fat http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/25/health/25iht-fat.4.6830240.html?pagewanted=all

Although it is obviously not impossible to be slim, the bulk (haha) of the population will follow the path of least resistance. The cheapest, easiest food. The cheapest, easiest entertainment.

MikeLucky
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Why do people around here decide to be fat?

Because we have to drink twice as much beer to get the same affect as everyone else? I blame the baptists...

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
The real question is why are people in Oklahoma fatter than almost any other state?

The answer to that is even easier. It has to do with the timeframe in which the city developed. OKC mostly developed after the mass use of the automobile was common place. This is why large portions of OKC don't even have sidewalks. There was the assumption that people would quit walking. Of course that was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't make a place for people to walk and they won't walk.

We see the exact same thing with the new I-40 and the proposed elevated boulevard. Make a place for people to drive, and they will drive in record numbers (94,000 trips a day according to ODOT where 0 car trips occur today).

Roadhawg
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Because we have to drink twice as much beer to get the same affect as everyone else? I blame the baptists...

Best comment of the thread lol

Pete
08-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Those are good points JTF but there are lots of cities that have sidewalks in neighborhoods that were built after WWII.

A lot of this can be placed at the feet of OKC leaders, especially in City Hall. And of course, a citizenry that didn't care enough to do anything about it.

Roadhawg
08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
OKC is the first city I've lived in that doesn't have sidewalks. I was born and raised around Lincoln, Ne and they have many bike and walking paths around the city as well as bike lanes on the streets.

BoulderSooner
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM

only 20% more ...

we have to drink 5 beer to equal 4 from texas ..

progressiveboy
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Those are good points JTF but there are lots of cities that have sidewalks in neighborhoods that were built after WWII.

A lot of this can be placed at the feet of OKC leaders, especially in City Hall. And of course, a citizenry that didn't care enough to do anything about it. I have to agree. OKC has not been blessed with "true" visionary leaders. I find "generally" that the citizens of OKC are very complacent and do not place a "high" priority on quality of life issues such as demanding sidewalks! OKC residents need to believe and want change. Yes, MAPS was a start but OKC is just now catching up with their peer cities and has a long road ahead of them to truly being a city where outsiders and it's residents have a positive image of OKC.

Skyline
08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Okies aren't just fat either. Oklahoma ranks poorly in nearly every health related category that there is. (diabetes, smoking, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, obesity, malnutrition, dental hygiene, and more). Sure these are all national problems, but Oklahoma is leading the way and that is not a good thing.

OSUPeterson
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Im too lazy to read the article so Ill through this out there and hope it applies.

If they are calculating "obese" off of BMI, then it can be really off. Technically, I am obese (5'9 - 200lbs) but Im not fat. I compete in triathlons and running events regulary and workout almost every day of the week. What we define as obese is far different than what we think of as fat.

I will say this city sucks on being athletic. I cannot wait to live in a city where there are trails and sidewalks and outdoor events. Oklahoma is getting better yes, but I would love to be able to get from downtown to near lake draper where I work by bike, but there is not a way I can without braving some very sketchy roads with awful drivers on them. Hopefully oklahoma continues to improve, and starts hosting more running events and cycling events and installing more trail systems.

BBatesokc
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Im too lazy to read the article so Ill through this out there and hope it applies.

If they are calculating "obese" off of BMI, then it can be really off. Technically, I am obese (5'9 - 200lbs) but Im not fat. I compete in triathlons and running events regulary and workout almost every day of the week. What we define as obese is far different than what we think of as fat.

I will say this city sucks on being athletic. I cannot wait to live in a city where there are trails and sidewalks and outdoor events. Oklahoma is getting better yes, but I would love to be able to get from downtown to near lake draper where I work by bike, but there is not a way I can without braving some very sketchy roads with awful drivers on them. Hopefully oklahoma continues to improve, and starts hosting more running events and cycling events and installing more trail systems.

Common sense has to be applied. The BMI chart is not designed for people who are very athletic or weightlifters. However, people often disregard the BMI charts because they've heard others incorrectly proclaim them as inaccurate in all circumstances.

Most people think they know what 'obese' looks like, but they don't. It was when my doctor showed me where I scored on both the BMI chart and with calipers that reality set in. I'm 5'11" and was around 230lbs and by every measure 'obese.' This, even though most people would have described me as simply overweight or 'chubby' (myself included).

I'm 175lbs now and have to workout at least 5 times a week to maintain that.

Once you become aware of your own weight/health then you really notice the numbers of extremely out of shape people in this city.

As discouraging as a trip to WalMart can be, I am always encouraged when I go to places like the downtown YMCA. This morning the place was packed at 5:30am - the cycling, Body Pump and step classes are consistently full. So, fortunately some do really care about their health.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't know, I see what many of you are saying about needing more trails, etc... but come on, is that really the reason? I mean, are the majority of fat people going to all of a sudden get off their butts and start running when all these trails are built? Are they all of a sudden going to put the donuts down?

I run in the neighborhood at least 5 times a week, and within the last month, I have seen one other person running. There are a few more that walk, but even walkers are far and few between. When it's all said and done, it comes down to excuses. Really and truly all one has to do is put on his/her tennis shoes and walk out the door. Start walking/jogging until their body is used to it and gradually work up to a run. It really is that simple. No need for gyms, trails, treadmills, etc..........

Pete
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Bostonfan, it's not about the trails and sidewalks, it's about mentality and culture.

The more facilities there are, the more people use them and that just feeds upon itself.

We all know darn well that the culture in OKC is to sit around, go eat, sit around some more, snack, watch TV, eat again, etc.

I never realized it until I moved to California and then would come back to visit.

One contributing factor is the low cost of housing. Almost everyone not only has homes, but pretty big ones by the national standards. So, there is plenty of space to spread out, be comfortable in your cocoon, have people over, etc. I can assure you that in California, there are way more small apartments and condos and most homes are quite small. So, people go OUT and even when I do go to someone's home, we are outside, not on the couch in front of the TV.

BBatesokc
08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't know, I see what many of you are saying about needing more trails, etc... but come on, is that really the reason? I mean, are the majority of fat people going to all of a sudden get off their butts and start running when all these trails are built? Are they all of a sudden going to put the donuts down?

I run in the neighborhood at least 5 times a week, and within the last month, I have seen one other person running. There are a few more that walk, but even walkers are far and few between. When it's all said and done, it comes down to excuses. Really and truly all one has to do is put on his/her tennis shoes and walk out the door. Start walking/jogging until their body is used to it and gradually work up to a run. It really is that simple. No need for gyms, trails, treadmills, etc..........

I think the parks and sidewalks, etc. are necessary. Its about convenience. I think many people tend to get fat because the fatty foods and fatty lifestyle is much more convenient than say getting up and driving to a gym, making freshly prepared foods, ordering less satisfying meals, buying more expensive fresh ingredients, etc.

If the trials and sidewalks add convenience and make some people more attractive and remove more of the excuses, then I say 'do it.'

My wife and I would walk to the store more if we had sidewalks. I also see lots of people using the jogging trails that intersect with S. Rob and Grand. And this is an area you never used to see (non-hookers) walking.

Just the facts
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM

...and nobody walking on them because where ever they are going, it is too far to walk. The city was scaled for the automobile, not the human on foot. Your car doesn't care what you weigh, it has an engine that can lug you around. Your feet on the other hand care a lot (see women who yell at their husbands for not parking by the front door).

Pete
08-14-2012, 01:03 PM
There are plenty of walkable neighborhoods in other cities built after WWII.

Yes, cities changed with the advent of the suburbs, car and interstates but the point is that most other places are still infinitely more walkable than OKC. I haven't been to many cities that simply don't have sidewalks, which is pretty much the case in Central Oklahoma.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's near 63rd & Meridian and every time someone came to visit from elsewhere they would comment on the lack of sidewalks.

Oklahoma City is way, way behind other comparable cities and it's going to take a huge effort just to get up to an average level.

OKCTalker
08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
By almost any measure, Oklahomans are overweight, and would make the worst 20th percentile regardless of metric. Compared with other Americans, we live in virtually the same types of neighborhoods, have access to the same foods, and are genetically the same, so it has to be something else. I'd say it's cultural, and its a conscious decision - Oklahomans generally don't place as high a value on being fit and looking good as those in other states.

You can blame it on lack of sidewalks, or a surplus of fast food restaurants, or the heat, or that we live far from beaches and mountains. Or we can blame it on the man in the mirror.

SoonerDave
08-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Oklahomans generally don't place as high a value on being fit and looking good as those in other states.

I think you're almost on the right track.

This society places an immutable value on good looks. We make fun of people who don't "look good." We use posters of people who are "ugly" to discourage them from smoking. We have entire websites devoted to unattractive people so we can ridicule them (see PeopleofWalMart for starters). We see heavy, we judge that they're fat, lazy slobs who just can't stop shoveling the fried twinkies in their cheeks, right?

People have tied this preoccupation with looks to a decision that says, "you know what, I'll never be as good looking as XXX, so I'll enjoy life on my own terms and be happy with who I am." So the very same self-esteem gods to which we bow on the one hand to rationalize all manner of prohibitions on corrective behavior creates a perverse dichotomy in society of people who don't care if they're not attractive, and weight gets thrown into the mix as part of the appearance package. Pleas for people to stop eating food X or food Y are just seen as an extension of the implicit "you're not beautiful enough" morality, and thus ignored, even if the suggestion might be beneficial. And then we label foods as bad, yet we refuse to suggest that moderation in anything is the real key. A couple of slices of your favorite pizza aren't going to make you gain 100 lbs if you only treat yourself once in a while, but if it becomes part of a daily diet, that's a problem. We vilify the food, which is wrong. Look at how Paula Deen from Food Network is being treated publicly for her admission of having diabetes - she was crushed publicly - and do you think anyone cares that she emerged from near-homelessness by starting her own food business when her husband left her? Or that she would be the subject of such pointless judgment and scrutiny? She never held herself out to be a health maven. She just cooked food she and her family liked. Extend that to a broader region, and you have a whole cultural mindset of people who have taken their food and emotionally split themselves from the rest of society, especially when they hear that their food "choices" are stupid/uneducated or driven by lazy character.

The "eat healthier food" crowd has to determine a way to completely reinvent their message to eliminate the condescension and arrogance that comes with every implicit notion of stupidity that is cast every time someone is told to make "better" choices. We've got to stop blaming sprawl, cars, streets, whatever, and start figuring out how we go about undoing a socially engrained hatred of "unattractive" people that now operates under the guise of living a "healthier" lifestyle, thus rationalizing the hatred and meanness prevalent in the industry.

Physical unattractiveness, from whatever source, is the last socially sanctioned form of bigotry in our country. Figuring out a way to overcome that issue alone is the 800 lb gorilla in solving the broader issues of health and diet in our country. We should be offering a hand up, not a hand-slap in the face.

OKCisOK4me
08-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I have a bike that I can ride outdoors or prop up on an indoor stand and ride stationary. I walk past it everyday. I think, "I need to ride that thing and I want to ride that thing" but thinking and doing are two completely separate things. Luckily, I have a job where I'm not sitting on my butt all day so I hide what little fat I have under my clothes, lol.

onthestrip
08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I think we may be overthinking the reasons a bit. First reason is most people overeat, and they overeat many of the wrong foods. Secondly, Oklahomas weather for the better half of the year is not very conducive to outdoor activities. Not many people will be on sidewalks or biking trails when it is 105 or 28 degrees. There are reasons places like Colorado and Oregon are some of the fittest states. However that shouldnt be an excuse to being obese. People here need to eat in more moderation and somehow, someway get off their butts and do something every now and then.

jmpokc1957
08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Well, I live in the Portland, Oregon , area which is one of the most bike friendly places in the world, home to vegan this and eco that, innumerable farmers markets and, guess what, we have plenty of overweight people around.

Buying and eating unhealthy foods as well as driving everywhere has been made very easy. Why take the time to prepare food when you can go out and buy it and not even leave your car? You can even have it delivered to your home? Pizza or drive-thru at 2am!

Why buy your water in a plastic bottle when our city water comes direct from the mountains and is minimally treated? You couldn't buy better tasting and cleaner water than what comes out of my tap, yet plenty of people buy those plastic bottles.

What I'm saying is we live in a society where you have to make a choice and fight for it. Society isn't going to make it easy to buck the system as factory produced "food" makes big money for big corporations. So does buying the drugs that are a result of eating processed foods.

Make a choice; you can bring your lunch rather than go out and buy it. Save money as well as eat better food. It works, but it takes some effort.

May get one of our rare 100 degree days this week.

Skyline
08-14-2012, 03:20 PM
What if Oklahoma churches (and I don't mean the chicken), were to get more involved in the overall health of the community?

Then again I'm not sure that people would like to be preached to about their health, especially the lack of exercise and nutrition.

OKCTalker
08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
The conversation is starting to lean towards personal responsibility. Three more posts and our friends from the Politics section will pick up the scent!

Mayor Bloomberg was right - ban Big Gulps!
No he's not - I want the right to choose!

mcca7596
08-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I think you're almost on the right track.

This society places an immutable value on good looks. We make fun of people who don't "look good." We use posters of people who are "ugly" to discourage them from smoking. We have entire websites devoted to unattractive people so we can ridicule them (see PeopleofWalMart for starters). We see heavy, we judge that they're fat, lazy slobs who just can't stop shoveling the fried twinkies in their cheeks, right?

People have tied this preoccupation with looks to a decision that says, "you know what, I'll never be as good looking as XXX, so I'll enjoy life on my own terms and be happy with who I am." So the very same self-esteem gods to which we bow on the one hand to rationalize all manner of prohibitions on corrective behavior creates a perverse dichotomy in society of people who don't care if they're not attractive, and weight gets thrown into the mix as part of the appearance package. Pleas for people to stop eating food X or food Y are just seen as an extension of the implicit "you're not beautiful enough" morality, and thus ignored, even if the suggestion might be beneficial. And then we label foods as bad, yet we refuse to suggest that moderation in anything is the real key. A couple of slices of your favorite pizza aren't going to make you gain 100 lbs if you only treat yourself once in a while, but if it becomes part of a daily diet, that's a problem. We vilify the food, which is wrong. Look at how Paula Deen from Food Network is being treated publicly for her admission of having diabetes - she was crushed publicly - and do you think anyone cares that she emerged from near-homelessness by starting her own food business when her husband left her? Or that she would be the subject of such pointless judgment and scrutiny? She never held herself out to be a health maven. She just cooked food she and her family liked. Extend that to a broader region, and you have a whole cultural mindset of people who have taken their food and emotionally split themselves from the rest of society, especially when they hear that their food "choices" are stupid/uneducated or driven by lazy character.

The "eat healthier food" crowd has to determine a way to completely reinvent their message to eliminate the condescension and arrogance that comes with every implicit notion of stupidity that is cast every time someone is told to make "better" choices. We've got to stop blaming sprawl, cars, streets, whatever, and start figuring out how we go about undoing a socially engrained hatred of "unattractive" people that now operates under the guise of living a "healthier" lifestyle, thus rationalizing the hatred and meanness prevalent in the industry.

Physical unattractiveness, from whatever source, is the last socially sanctioned form of bigotry in our country. Figuring out a way to overcome that issue alone is the 800 lb gorilla in solving the broader issues of health and diet in our country. We should be offering a hand up, not a hand-slap in the face.

+1

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Portion sizes, the amount of genetically-modified/hormone-injected/high-fructose-corn-syrup/crap-containing food that is out there, suburban sprawl, a lean toward people spending more time on the computer and less time outside moving around; you could change all of this and there would still be overweight people.

I also didn't realize that there were so many perfectly thin, in-shape, healthy people on this board. My goodness. I'm not going to lie, I'm overweight. I know why I'm overweight. I'm still healthy, I move a lot at my job, and I know what a healthy plate of food looks like. But, here I am. I overwork, over-stress and overeat. Am I blaming anyone but myself? No. I'm a workaholic who eats and drinks too many calories. Simple as that. I am still a happy, healthy, productive member of society, though I evidently "choose" to be overweight.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
I think the parks and sidewalks, etc. are necessary. Its about convenience. I think many people tend to get fat because the fatty foods and fatty lifestyle is much more convenient than say getting up and driving to a gym, making freshly prepared foods, ordering less satisfying meals, buying more expensive fresh ingredients, etc.

If the trials and sidewalks add convenience and make some people more attractive and remove more of the excuses, then I say 'do it.'

My wife and I would walk to the store more if we had sidewalks. I also see lots of people using the jogging trails that intersect with S. Rob and Grand. And this is an area you never used to see (non-hookers) walking.

Totally agree about sidewalks and parks being necessary, but at the same time I wonder how effective they would be. It's not like there is a big demand for such a thing. Again, it's more about having excuses than anything. I just don't get how something so simple can be so difficult to understand. Obviously there are many people who simply don't give a damn.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Portion sizes, the amount of genetically-modified/hormone-injected/high-fructose-corn-syrup/crap-containing food that is out there, suburban sprawl, a lean toward people spending more time on the computer and less time outside moving around; you could change all of this and there would still be overweight people.

I also didn't realize that there were so many perfectly thin, in-shape, healthy people on this board. My goodness. I'm not going to lie, I'm overweight. I know why I'm overweight. I'm still healthy, I move a lot at my job, and I know what a healthy plate of food looks like. But, here I am. I overwork, over-stress and overeat. Am I blaming anyone but myself? No. I'm a workaholic who eats and drinks too many calories. Simple as that. I am still a happy, healthy, productive member of society, though I evidently "choose" to be overweight.

I seriously doubt you are. And even by the slim chance you are, you won't be for long. But hey, work is more important than your health, right?

CuatrodeMayo
08-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Wow.

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I seriously doubt you are. And even by the slim chance you are, you won't be for long. But hey, work is more important than your health, right?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure my doctor would love to talk to you about your expert opinion sometime.

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
There are many factors to health, weight is just one of them. We all know the thin person who drops dead of a heart attack while out running or who has scarily high cholesterol and the smoker who lives forever. There are a lot of things at play. However, people who are fat are "unattractive," as SoonerDave put it, and so they are easily vilified and made to be the scapegoat for all of society's ills. It's easy to point out an obese person, it's harder to point out the seemingly "healthy" attractive person who actually has a lot of health problems.

But, whatever, I'm obviously going to die soon because I have a fat butt.

Some light reading: Overweight People Live Longer (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer)

Healthy obese people may live as long as thin folks (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44149775/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/healthy-obese-people-may-live-long-thin-folks/#.UCrjf_ZlS_c)

Read the two middle paragraphs: Nice people live longer, and being fat isn't always bad for your heart (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/05/nice-old-people-live-longer-being-fat-isnt-always-bad/52829/)

Perhaps we should all be a little nicer, and a little less judgmental. Seems like an easy way to squeeze out a couple of more years.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure my doctor would love to talk to you about your expert opinion sometime.

Really? I know of no doctor that would say being obese is healthy. Do tell.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
There are many factors to health, weight is just one of them. We all know the thin person who drops dead of a heart attack while out running or who has scarily high cholesterol and the smoker who lives forever. There are a lot of things at play. However, people who are fat are "unattractive," as SoonerDave put it, and so they are easily vilified and made to be the scapegoat for all of society's ills. It's easy to point out an obese person, it's harder to point out the seemingly "healthy" attractive person who actually has a lot of health problems.

But, whatever, I'm obviously going to die soon because I have a fat butt.

Some light reading: Overweight People Live Longer (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer)

Healthy obese people may live as long as thin folks (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44149775/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/healthy-obese-people-may-live-long-thin-folks/#.UCrjf_ZlS_c)

Read the two middle paragraphs: Nice people live longer, and being fat isn't always bad for your heart (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/05/nice-old-people-live-longer-being-fat-isnt-always-bad/52829/)

Perhaps we should all be a little nicer, and a little less judgmental. Seems like an easy way to squeeze out a couple of more years.

Excuse excuse excuse... why so defensive? Just pointing out facts. Must hit pretty close to home.

OKCisOK4me
08-14-2012, 06:24 PM
The Devon Tower thread is pretty fat, but this thread will probably stay skinny...

kevinpate
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
OK, bottom line .. I likely fit in the "Day-um" category weight wise per the Gabriel scale. Have an issue with it? Fine by me. Just set your cheesecake down, back slowly away and be grateful I'm not on a total sugar rush. Nah, I'm just teasing. I don't get sugar rushes. But you really don't wanna challenge me over the last serving of cheesecake. It won't end well.

Conversely, if you wanna meet up for some good pasta (not faux food gunk) we can have some interesting conversations over the meal, but if you wanna weigh my portions, that's an odd hobby you have.

Am I a hottie? Nope. Nor was I in younger thinner days. But I have fm and friends who love me all the same, and given fam history I am likely to enjoy my generous pasta portions into my latter 70's. So yeah, no 90's for me but what the hell. We have a bike riding pronosticator saying everything craters in eight more years anyway.

I'll find something else to worry on I suppose. Be well.

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Really? I know of no doctor that would say being obese is healthy. Do tell.

And exactly where did you get your medical degree?

While my weight is higher than you would like it to be, my heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, and metabolic health are all within their normal ranges. Some even lower than necessary. But thanks for your concern. I do go for a check up every year and my doctor has never been concerned about my health. We've discussed my weight before, and she said she had no concerns because of how healthy I am. While you may not like how I look, my numbers don't lie. I'm in good health.

I also don't judge people, or make fun of them, or tell them they are probably unhealthy when I know nothing about them.

Martin
08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/96651/1817572-troll_threads.jpg

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
And exactly where did you get your medical degree?

While my weight is higher than you would like it to be, my heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, and metabolic health are all within their normal ranges. Some even lower than necessary. But thanks for your concern. I do go for a check up every year and my doctor has never been concerned about my health. We've discussed my weight before, and she said she had no concerns because of how healthy I am. While you may not like how I look, my numbers don't lie. I'm in good health.

I also don't judge people, or make fun of them, or tell them they are probably unhealthy when I know nothing about them.

Like I said, you won't be healthy for long, if you are now. Since you are hell bent in telling me there is a doctor that says its healthy to be obese, then do share.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Mmm, do you have anything to share about this topic or are you just trolling?

Martin
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
sure, i'll play! define obese. -M

BBatesokc
08-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Excuse excuse excuse... why so defensive? Just pointing out facts. Must hit pretty close to home.

While you're busy pointing out your 'facts' - can you point to the one where bandnerd claimed to be 'obese.'

There are many published studies that show an overweight person can still be healthy (or even healthier) than a person within their 'normal' weight range that is not active.

I go to many classes at the Y and a couple are taught by women who are obviously overweight to probably even technically 'obese' by most BMI charts. However, they can outlast virtually anyone in the room in their cycling or cardio classes. I know one that runs 1/2 marathons regularly and I'm betting she's at least 50lbs overweight.

Sure, being overweight can often be about 'excuses' - but I could apply the same 'logic' to many facets of life (careeer, education, etc.).