View Full Version : Why do people around here decide to be fat?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
While you're busy pointing out your 'facts' - can you point to the one where bandnerd claimed to be 'obese.'

There are many published studies that show an overweight person can still be healthy (or even healthier) than a person within their 'normal' weight range that is not active.

I go to many classes at the Y and a couple are taught by women who are obviously overweight to probably even technically 'obese' by most BMI charts. However, they can outlast virtually anyone in the room in their cycling or cardio classes. I know one that runs 1/2 marathons regularly and I'm betting she's at least 50lbs overweight.

Sure, being overweight can often be about 'excuses' - but I could apply the same 'logic' to many facets of life (careeer, education, etc.).

Yeah, don't you love when people put words in your mouth? I was obviously too busy stuffing my face to respond to this comment earlier. :cool:

bandnerd
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Like I said, you won't be healthy for long, if you are now. Since you are hell bent in telling me there is a doctor that says its healthy to be obese, then do share.

Are you a Tarot reader? Crystal ball psychic? You don't know my health history or future, just like I don't know yours. Did you actually read the articles I posted? I'm not being defensive here, I'm posting information relevant to the point I'm trying to make. You just keep harping on me because you can't accept that fat people CAN be healthy.

SoonerDave
08-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I seriously doubt you are. And even by the slim chance you are, you won't be for long. But hey, work is more important than your health, right?

And there represents an archetype of precisely the point I made above....if you don't abide by the people making the "right" choices, you must be stupid. That kind of associational condescension is precisely what has to stop.

Not everyone will ever behave in what someone else decides is in their own best interest merely for someone else deeming it to be so. It does not make them stupid. It means they've made a choice.

Power to ya, bandnerd.

SoonerDave
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
There are many factors to health, weight is just one of them. We all know the thin person who drops dead of a heart attack while out running or who has scarily high cholesterol and the smoker who lives forever. There are a lot of things at play. However, people who are fat are "unattractive," as SoonerDave put it, and so they are easily vilified and made to be the scapegoat for all of society's ills. It's easy to point out an obese person, it's harder to point out the seemingly "healthy" attractive person who actually has a lot of health problems.

But, whatever, I'm obviously going to die soon because I have a fat butt.

Some light reading: Overweight People Live Longer (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer)

Healthy obese people may live as long as thin folks (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44149775/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/healthy-obese-people-may-live-long-thin-folks/#.UCrjf_ZlS_c)

Read the two middle paragraphs: Nice people live longer, and being fat isn't always bad for your heart (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/05/nice-old-people-live-longer-being-fat-isnt-always-bad/52829/)

Perhaps we should all be a little nicer, and a little less judgmental. Seems like an easy way to squeeze out a couple of more years.

...Especially considering that what passes for some medical "conventional wisdom" is very often repackaged pharmaceutical sales literature. There's plenty of dissent about cholesterol (particularly in England), other studies that show fat plays a role in protecting against certain neurological problems such as seizures, and on down the line we go.

My mom is 76 years old, and her cholesterol is what most doctors would go into spontaneous hysterics over. She also happens to be one of the generally healthiest 76-year-old women you'll ever meet, and she told her doctor she wasn't about to take the statins she was prescribing. Her mom's cholesterol was even higher, and she eventually passed away a decade ago just shy of 90 from complications of heat stroke brought on by mowing her grass in 100-degree heat.

The point is that unilateral proclamations are very dangerous. In the last year, I dropped 38 pounds (and counting), not because anyone else thought I was stupid or fat, but because I wanted to. Decisions. Liberty. And all that rot.

boscorama
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Notice Mayor Mick hasn't been mentioned in this thread. His City Diet is/was a good thing, and he set an example.

ljbab728
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Im too lazy to read the article so Ill through this out there and hope it applies.

If they are calculating "obese" off of BMI, then it can be really off. Technically, I am obese (5'9 - 200lbs) but Im not fat. I compete in triathlons and running events regulary and workout almost every day of the week. What we define as obese is far different than what we think of as fat.

I will say this city sucks on being athletic. I cannot wait to live in a city where there are trails and sidewalks and outdoor events. Oklahoma is getting better yes, but I would love to be able to get from downtown to near lake draper where I work by bike, but there is not a way I can without braving some very sketchy roads with awful drivers on them. Hopefully oklahoma continues to improve, and starts hosting more running events and cycling events and installing more trail systems.

The basis for this article was a survey done entirely by phone which asked people their height and weight. Take from that what you will.

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
sure, i'll play! define obese. -M

http://www.webmd.com/diet/what-is-obesity

Martin
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.webmd.com/diet/what-is-obesity (http://www.webmd.com/diet/what-is-obesity)

can't post in your own words? -M

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
excuse after excuse after excuse. And people wonder why they are fat. It really is simple, yet people want to make excuses, why is that?

Bostonfan
08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
can't post in your own words? -M

Either you can't read (which I know is not true), or you you are obese and facts are hitting too close to home.

Martin
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
sounds like an excuse... do you want to troll or actually discuss the topic? can you define the term 'obese'? -M

wallbreaker
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
The basis for this article was a survey done entirely by phone which asked people their height and weight. Take from that what you will.

I caught that too, and it makes me question the ranking. Maybe people in the south are a little more honest/critical in their self evaluation that those on the coast who automatically think they're better than everyone?

Additionally, I was surprised by the race divide. Native Americans had a significant higher of obese. So much so, that without them Oklahoma would have been in a whole other bracket. Don't know what conclusion to draw there, but at the end of the day, a verbal survey seems to me to be lacking something...

RadicalModerate
08-14-2012, 10:50 PM
. . . yes: A verbal survey needs just a hint of a thread on the topic started by someone with a very thin brain who will probably suffer the ironic fate of being run over by a bicycle on the same sidewalk on which he just used a fat old lady walking with a cane as a hurdle.

(and a musical interlude)

vjJaH40rArU

But what can one expect from a fan of Boston?

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2012, 01:16 AM
excuse after excuse after excuse. And people wonder why they are fat. It really is simple, yet people want to make excuses, why is that?

Don't turn into Torea with his rant on train whistles. You can't tell me that offensive/defensive linen aren't fat! Your New England Patriots would be disgusted by your rant and personally Id like to take a fat person and slug you with them like a baseball out of this state into a Redsox mitt!

rcjunkie
08-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm 6'6 and weigh 255 lbs, work out and run daily, have a body fat of 15%, by all standards and gauges, I'm considered obese.

SoonerDave
08-15-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm 6'6 and weigh 255 lbs, work out and run daily, have a body fat of 15%, by all standards and gauges, I'm considered obese.

Bingo. Ironically enough, I read this morning that a significant percentage of citizens in Great Britains are considered obese, so I guess they're all lazy slobs, too :)

We have a slew of statistical nonsense being thrown at us as fact, when a great deal of it is carefully crafted to create the illusion proof of a predetermined conclusion. Internet polls, phone surveys, surveys of surveys, each seemingly less reliable than the one before. If the data doesn't fit the conclusion, move the criteria for the proof. Believe it or not, that's largely how the original criteria for hypercholesteremia were established - one that (surprise, surprise) finally matched the percentage of the population that the pharmaceutical companies making the statins wanted on them.

The point here isn't about statins (which deserves its own thread, though), but the extent to which statistics and surveys are used to manipulate public opinion, policy, and perception. The amount of deception leveraged in them borders on the criminal IMHO.

Bostonfan
08-15-2012, 06:33 AM
well, well, looks like I got on everyone's bad side. I tell you what, I won't say anything else about this topic because it seems to hit too close to home for many. I guess there are no fat people here in Oklahoma........ everyone is slim, trim, and in wonderful health! Let's all make excuses and be in denial!! Yee Hawwwwww

Martin
08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
well, well, looks like I got on everyone's bad side. I tell you what, I won't say anything else about this topic because it seems to hit too close to home for many. I guess there are no fat people here in Oklahoma........ everyone is slim, trim, and in wonderful health! Let's all make excuses and be in denial!! Yee Hawwwwww

this kind of behavior will get you banned. can't say i didn't try to give you a chance. -M

bandnerd
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM

No one said that. Several people in this thread fessed up to not having the perfect physique. It's nothing to berate someone about. I know I'm not in denial. I never have been; I'm very aware of how I look. I'm also very aware that despite how I look, I am in very good health. Much better health, I might add, than some thin people in my life. Weight is not the only indicator of health, and that's what we're trying to impress upon you.

It must be awful to have your eyes accosted by imperfect bodies every day. I think maybe the Shallow Hal treatment would be good for you.

BBatesokc
08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
No one said that. Several people in this thread fessed up to not having the perfect physique. It's nothing to berate someone about. I know I'm not in denial. I never have been; I'm very aware of how I look. I'm also very aware that despite how I look, I am in very good health. Much better health, I might add, than some thin people in my life. Weight is not the only indicator of health, and that's what we're trying to impress upon you.

It must be awful to have your eyes accosted by imperfect bodies every day. I think maybe the Shallow Hal treatment would be good for you.

Bostonfan has been 'banned.' Just remember, that was the same individual who attacked a poster for simply inviting people to a 'movie night' sermon at her church.

This is just another example of why I wish public forums could remove anonymity.

If you ever peruse the public comment sections of the local news media sites you can see good examples of what happens when posters can be anonymous vs. 'verified' through signups and/or social media sites like Facebook.

KWTV Ch9 is a complete free-for-all and it shows - virtually every story degrades into name calling and agenda pushing. The ones that require signing up or even Facebook verification have far fewer comments in general and hardly any playground behavior. Remove the anonymity and you begin to level the playing field. I guarantee you BostonFan most likely would have been more reserved if we knew who he was and could even click on a Facebook profile. I'm betting he has some attributes we could create more than one thread on.

MadMonk
08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I think he was given pleny of chances to cool down and was handled well. No need to go hunting him down like a mob with pitchforks. If the forum is policed well, he just fades away. If its better for you, just think of him as "sleeping with the fishes". :wink:

You of all people should know the dangers of putting your personal information on the Internet. "Anonymity...is like a warm blanket." :p

wallbreaker
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
For a while I've liked the idea of forums like this having two classes of users. Regular, "hiding behind usernames", users, and certified "Real Name" folks (using an ID verification service to certify). Then users on the site would have the option to show all posts, or just posts by certified posters. And maybe even the default is just the certified posters. Those who are nervous about using their real name can certainly remain hidden, but their posts wouldn't (and shouldn't) have the same visibility and impacts as those who are willing to stand by their posts.

I think the civility level and quality of the discussions would increase quite a bit.

SoonerDave
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
If the notion of removing anonymity could be coupled with no increase in personal risk, I'd be all for it. Realizing that the Internet is kind of like a world-wide back-alley of dimly lit streetcorners, knife-wielding thugs, and urban legend-spamming goons, I prefer to keep my public identity fuzzy. Not to say I disagree with the benefits of making people more accountable for what they say, but putting too much identity information out there just carries too much risk IMHO. And I'm definitely not ready to say that those unwilling or less willing to "publish" their identity should be afforded less access. The obvious use of pseudonyms surely seems to do that without a formal identity mechanism.

Having had my real identity stolen earlier this year, I've developed a new appreciation for keeping personal info close to the vest - and its at least part of the reason why Facebook and I have all-but parted company. That place is a cesspool.

Pete
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
For quite I while I posted under my full, real name and encouraged others to do so.

However, I had a horrific experience as a result (will not share the details but some here will know what I'm talking about).

Keep in mind that while you might not have anything to hide, people that disagree or are just merely unstable/bizarre can still hide behind anonymity and do all types of crazy things to your reputation. I'm very web/tech savvy and used to scoff at people who worried about such things but turns out I was the one being naive.

And BTW, with the thousands and thousands of on-line forums, I've yet to see one where even a decent percentage of posters use their real names. Turns out, there are good reasons for this.

Roadhawg
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
But there are the cases where some people (BBates) posts a persons name (mine) because he was having a disagreement with them and wanted to play ISpy.

Just the facts
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I'll second Pete's comment. I used my real name on OKC related message boards for over 12 years. I had to stop.

BBatesokc
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
But there are the cases where some people (BBates) posts a persons name (mine) because he was having a disagreement with them and wanted to play ISpy.

And there are cases of grown men who can't seem to pass up any opportunity to remind everyone they have an issue with another forum member. The list of times you've taken personal shots at me is long indeed. 'Getting personal' works both ways and your full name was never posted that I recall. And, considering your screen name on this site is not the only place you use it, its not like you're trying too hard to be anonymous.

BBatesokc
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
For quite I while I posted under my full, real name and encouraged others to do so.

However, I had a horrific experience as a result (will not share the details but some here will know what I'm talking about).

Keep in mind that while you might not have anything to hide, people that disagree or are just merely unstable/bizarre can still hide behind anonymity and do all types of crazy things to your reputation. I'm very web/tech savvy and used to scoff at people who worried about such things but turns out I was the one being naive.

And BTW, with the thousands and thousands of on-line forums, I've yet to see one where even a decent percentage of posters use their real names. Turns out, there are good reasons for this.

I forgot about the instance you referred to. Yes, that is a perfect example of where non-anonymity can bite you in the butt.

Roadhawg
08-15-2012, 01:47 PM
And there are cases of grown men who can't seem to pass up any opportunity to remind everyone they have an issue with another forum member. The list of times you've taken personal shots at me is long indeed. 'Getting personal' works both ways and your full name was never posted that I recall. And, considering your screen name on this site is not the only place you use it, its not like you're trying too hard to be anonymous.

It's not that long, just seems long to you *lol* Still, if you choose to use your real name that's peachy but to post somebody else's is just tacky.

Martin
08-15-2012, 02:08 PM
you two need to resolve your differences or ignore one another. this continual public rivalry is a nuisance and will not be tolerated. if you have any questions, send a pm.

back to topic.

-M

bretthexum
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
I moved from OKC to Minneapolis metro a few years ago. I literally saw more people biking in 1 day than I saw in 5 years in OKC.

It's a definite culture thing. It doesn't help when there's not enough trails like others have mentioned.

MDot
08-15-2012, 02:24 PM
It's not that long, just seems long to you *lol* Still, if you choose to use your real name that's peachy but to post somebody else's is just tacky.

I like you as a poster and you make some good points most of the time and you have a sense of humor, and I'm not really trying to get involved, but I'm gonna throw this out there anyways as someone who observes this little "war" you two have going; you do take "cheap shots" at Brian even when he has not mentioned you and you do it fairly often and this is a prime example of you doing it. You two obviously have problems with each other, but you seem to take shots for no reason at times other than you really dislike him. Brian may have done something that affected you directly, I don't know the history of you two, but you act a little immature about it a lot of the time.

Not trying to call you out, but since the subject was at hand, just thought I would give an opinion of someone who watches and is unbiased about either side or doesn't have a vendetta against either of you. I find myself rolling my eyes quite frequently, though, when you two comment on the same thread.

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I moved from OKC to Minneapolis metro a few years ago. I literally saw more people biking in 1 day than I saw in 5 years in OKC.

It's a definite culture thing. It doesn't help when there's not enough trails like others have mentioned.

It's a culture to bicycle in Minneapolis. I saw a video on YouTube that showed all of the trails that they've done. Really amazing!

Martin
08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
mdot, i'm not going to disagree with what you typed but this discussion needs to get back to topic. -M

Richard at Remax
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
to answer the OP question. I don't think people decide to be fat. I think they are just too lazy to try and be healthy.

and I know that there are overweight people who are healthy so I am not talking about them.

At the end of college i weighed about ~215 for obvious reasons, and I knew I could either continue down that path or shape up. So i radically changed my diet, excercised, lost over 40 lbs, and now ive been hovering around 180-85 for the past few years. It was really tough the first 6 months, but it paid off and I feel great.

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Discipline has a lot to do with being health conscious. I had the drive when I lost 40lbs in 08. I'd ride Hefner Lake once a week. Then I got a car I couldn't transport my bike in and that mode of fitness disappeared. I have weights but when I get home from work I choose to do other things.

You just have to set a regiment and stick to it. If you're lazy then that's definitely going to be an uphill battle.

MDot
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
mdot, i'm not going to disagree with what you typed but this discussion needs to get back to topic. -M

Understood. I apologize, mmm.

MDot
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Discipline has a lot to do with being health conscious. I had the drive when I lost 40lbs in 08. I'd ride Hefner Lake once a week. Then I got a car I couldn't transport my bike in and that mode of fitness disappeared. I have weights but when I get home from work I choose to do other things.

You just have to set a regiment and stick to it. If you're lazy then that's definitely going to be an uphill battle.

My brother lost 50 lbs last year because he started eating right, went on walks, exercised, etc. He started gaining weight back because he lost the dedication and got lazy, but he gained control and is losing weight again.

MDot
08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
It's a culture to bicycle in Minneapolis. I saw a video on YouTube that showed all of the trails that they've done. Really amazing!

Minneapolis takes pride in their outdoor amenities, cycling especially. Portland is the same way.

TaoMaas
08-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Were people always bicycling in Minneapolis and so they built trails? Or did they build trails and more people began biking? Based on what I've seen here in Oklahoma, I would tend to think it's the latter. In the places where there are good trails here in OKC, I see people using them. Same thing in Tulsa. There's always people on the trails along the river. Maybe it's a case of, "if you build it...they will come." lol

Dubya61
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
This really seems like a cheap one to fix, though. I certainly don't want to take away from the crowd that says we don't have enough sidewalks, or JTF's comments saying that we are too car-centric. Even so, Oklahoma (as a state or other smaller governments to include the tribes) could work to promote outside events more (maybe not in 113F heat, but anyway...). We really do have a lot of 5Ks and other events that promote fitness. Why doesn't the state (or smaller) promote them, and work to get grants/advertising dollars and local involvement so that these turn into a local street fair/block party. Get the Thunder and Barons to host small local tournaments and have a sports-themed block party all around the metro. Get the councilmen/women to hold town meetings that involve some walking (do a weekly walk here or there and promote that people who walk with you can ask questions and give input. Get the governor and state staff to do the same, or at least support other such events. Mayor Cornett's diet was a great idea, and ought to be pushed again. Get some native celebrities (sports or otherwise) to sponsor a 1 mile walk each week around downtown, or Norman, Edmond, Shawnee, or _________ (your locale). I don't know where the odd 5320 campaign was funded from, but I still see 5320 billboards. There's probably some money out there for just that purpose. Get the state to petition First Lady Obama or Chef Jamie Oliver to make Oklahoma their next target. This really seems like an easy solution, but one that would take the state to say that it's a priority and start smaller governments to talk about it.

Disclosure: I'm overweight and don't want to be, but I rarely find time to do anything about it. An event that I could take my family to (within certain bounds) would be something that I can easily find time for, though. Maybe I just need to do it on my own for me and my family.

WilliamTell
08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Minneapolis takes pride in their outdoor amenities, cycling especially. Portland is the same way.
Here we complain about bike riders and reward them with 1-3 deaths per month.

Pete
08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Were people always bicycling in Minneapolis and so they built trails? Or did they build trails and more people began biking? Based on what I've seen here in Oklahoma, I would tend to think it's the latter. In the places where there are good trails here in OKC, I see people using them. Same thing in Tulsa. There's always people on the trails along the river. Maybe it's a case of, "if you build it...they will come." lol

It's obviously a bit of both but the only thing that can really be driven by the community at large is to put in trails and other rec facilities. As you said, most of them are used extensively.

Oklahoma also needs tougher smoking laws. I know this is controversial and some will strongly disagree but I can assure you that once California implemented their very strict laws, behavior changed. At first, people just continued to smoke (it is an addiction, after all) but before long you wouldn't even see many people outside bars smoking. It's a pain the arse for them and I'm sure many people just never picked it up in bars and clubs because you absolutely can't smoke in them any longer.

Oklahoma's smoking rate is among the highest in country. We can talk all day long about why one person or another smokes or eats badly, but the bottom line is that municipalities and communities can do things that help shape behavior. You can see the plain difference in communities and states that have been proactive in these areas.

OKCTalker
08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
My wife and I compete in running and cycling events, and we train all the time. Perhaps because of that we know all of the big weekend runs, rides and races, and the never-ending group runs/rides throughout the week. There are many throughout the metro, each varying in day, time, length and intensity.

We also see great leadership from the private sector, especially in social media. The running stores (especially Red Coyote) and cycling shops (Schlegel and Charley's Bicycle Lab) are very active in organizing/promoting training runs/rides and races. The same goes for the OKC Running Club (a/k/a Landrunners) and several cycling clubs too numerous to mention.

People don't need Mick Cornett, Michelle Obama, state agencies or professional sports teams to encourage them to eat less and exercise more. They simply need to know where to turn for one-on-one help to take the first steps, and a place where they can ask a few questions without being treated like the noobie that they are (we all remember that we started somewhere too). Here's my part:

OKC Running Club: www.okcrunning.org
Run Hers (women-specific running group): www.runhers.com
Red Coyote: www.redcoyoterunning.com & 840-0033
Schlegel Bicycles: www.schlegelbicycles.com & 232-4040
Charley's Bicycle Lab: www.charleysbicyclelab.com & 603-7655

Get ready to get on the road - cooler fall weather is just around the corner.

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Here we complain about bike riders and reward them with 1-3 deaths per month.

That's why I don't ride my bike at Hefner anymore. I could ride there, but I'd have to share myself with crazy car drivers and I'm a big target. Sorry, I don't want to be put in a plot so early.

It's obviously a bit of both but the only thing that can really be driven by the community at large is to put in trails and other rec facilities. As you said, most of them are used extensively.

Oklahoma also needs tougher smoking laws. I know this is controversial and some will strongly disagree but I can assure you that once California implemented their very strict laws, behavior changed. At first, people just continued to smoke (it is an addiction, after all) but before long you wouldn't even see many people outside bars smoking. It's a pain the arse for them and I'm sure many people just never picked it up in bars and clubs because you absolutely can't smoke in them any longer.

Oklahoma's smoking rate is among the highest in country. We can talk all day long about why one person or another smokes or eats badly, but the bottom line is that municipalities and communities can do things that help shape behavior. You can see the plain difference in communities and states that have been proactive in these areas.

Speaking of, whatever happened to that 5120 plan? I could quit smoking a whole lot easier if it was just outlawed at public places. The first time I quit smoking (lasted for 3 years) was after the smoking in restaurants with more than 50% food sales passed. I would hang out at The Varsity Sports Grill and that helped to curtail my habit.

RadicalModerate
08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Speaking of "The Cities"/MN . . .
Did you know that it is 120 winding, decaying, steps down to the upper part of the bottom of "Swede Hollow" in St. Paul?
And when you get to the bottom you encounter friendly bicyclists and joggers and etc. who cruised in from trails leading up to various paved roadways "up above"? It's true.

So, how about, as flat as the terrain is in the OKC Metro . . . We (OKC) make a building code regulation that while you are standing in line to order your Big Mac Meal (supersized) you have to keep walking on a treadmill like those they used to put in Fun Houses o' The Fifties? Just for kicks, a small generator could be attached to it to show--by its brightness--how many calories you are burning . . . =)

bretthexum
08-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Even if its only usable for 4-5 months out of the year!

ThomPaine
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Even if its only usable for 4-5 months out of the year!

Not realy true, when you live in places where it is cold and or rainy, you do your normal outside activities in the cold and or rain. You can always put on more clothes to get warmer or stay dry. My commuter bike has fenders on it to reduce the spray from wet roads, but I seldom use it here (even when dry) because it is literally too dangerous to ride alone in the early morning twighlight, and worse, in afternoon rush hour.

For some reason, we here tend to look down upon folks jogging, walking, or riding on the roads. I have lost count of how many times I have had to jump into the weeds while jogging, or have had to take verbal abuse because I had the audacity to ride a bicycle on a roadway that was "meant for cars."

As for the earlier debate about who is and who isn't fat/obese, and how many people are in great shape, but heavy... Give me a break! Have you been to the mall, or a restaurant lately? Holy cow. I have the opportunity to travel a lot, and we Oklahomans are, by and large, large. I have my opinions as to why, but the bottom line is that for most folks its a lack of self respect or discipline. Good Lord, look in the mirror, or look at your feet. If you can't find a shirt long enough to tuck in your pants, or you can't see your toes without sucking in your gut, lose some danged weight - you're giving the rest of us a bad name!

And for goodness sake, if you see a cyclist, jogger or walker, instead of running them into the ditch, give them room and offer a wave of encouragement.

Sorry to rant, touchy topic...

okcpulse
08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Here is where I keep getting confused about this annual debate of Oklahoma's obesity rate. We can point to lack of trails, fried-food culture and lack of outdoor activites. But Oklahoma is no different culturally today than it was in the 1970s or 1980s. Food culture wasn't any different. In fact, there are more trails today in OKC than just 20 years ago. In 1985, Oklahoma's obesity rate was less than 12%. In a snapshot photo of the Great State Fair of Oklahoma in the late 1970s, there were so few overweight people in the crowd that it was pointless to take a headcount.

So can someone answer this question: What was Oklahoma doing different in 1985 that it is/isn't doing today?

JayhawkTransplant
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Here is where I keep getting confused about this annual debate of Oklahoma's obesity rate. We can point to lack of trails, fried-food culture and lack of outdoor activites. But Oklahoma is no different culturally today than it was in the 1970s or 1980s. Food culture wasn't any different. In fact, there are more trails today in OKC than just 20 years ago. In 1985, Oklahoma's obesity rate was less than 12%. In a snapshot photo of the Great State Fair of Oklahoma in the late 1970s, there were so few overweight people in the crowd that it was pointless to take a headcount.

So can someone answer this question: What was Oklahoma doing different in 1985 that it is/isn't doing today?

Portions. We eat and drink much more than we used to. This is true everywhere in the country--the difference is that some cities have more of an exercise culture than OKC.

Also, less activity. Even though we didn't have many recreational facilities in OKC a few decades ago, people have become more sedentary in their day-to-day activities.

boscorama
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Perhaps it's the baby boom + middle age spread, the more the merrier? Forty/fifty years ago, the masses were younger and skinnier.

That's not an answer or solution, but just an observation.

PennyQuilts
08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Inactivity, big portions and that poison that is sugar.

PennyQuilts
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Honestly, I don't even know anyone who smokes other than my husband (who smokes a pipe) and one of his friends who smokes when his wife isn't watching. I grew up with everyone and their brother smoking - that has completely turned around.

onthestrip
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Honestly, I don't even know anyone who smokes other than my husband (who smokes a pipe) and one of his friends who smokes when his wife isn't watching. I grew up with everyone and their brother smoking - that has completely turned around.

Okla still has one of the highest smoking rates in the country. Maybe Sen Crain next year will allow a smoking bill to be heard next year.

HewenttoJared
08-16-2012, 07:01 AM
We had a large family get-together in Colorado this last week and all of us remarked that it didn't feel like we were even in America anymore based on the weight of the people there. Whatever they are doing about obesity we should do the same. More bike paths was the only thing I really noticed right off the bat.

HewenttoJared
08-16-2012, 07:02 AM

Advertisers for sugary drinks have had time to snag whole generations.

BBatesokc
08-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Another reality check is that is only takes about 15 minutes to consume 400-1,500 calories at many of the restaurants people these days frequent - yet it takes a solid hour of intense working out or jogging to burn 400-700 calories. Then you consider many people will repeat that caloric consumption 3-4 times a day and then fool themselves into thinking its okay because "I exercise." But they have no idea they are burning far fewer than they are consuming.

Pete
08-16-2012, 07:53 AM

25% (!!) of all adults in Oklahoma smoke compared to the national rate of 20%.

Even in the 60's when health hazards were just being learned, the rate was only 40%.

Since the U.S. has almost doubled in population between then and now, that means there are the same amount of smokers in this country as there was 50+ years ago.

You could argue the general population is actually less healthy now than the flipping 1960's if you take into account the skyrocketing obesity rate. Unbelievable given all the great science and information.

People live longer but that's due to advances in medical treatment not healthier lifestyles.

MadMonk
08-16-2012, 07:55 AM
We had a large family get-together in Colorado this last week and all of us remarked that it didn't feel like we were even in America anymore based on the weight of the people there. Whatever they are doing about obesity we should do the same. More bike paths was the only thing I really noticed right off the bat.

Its the thinner air. They have to burn more energy for every breath. :wink:

LaceyNewman
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know, I see what many of you are saying about needing more trails, etc... but come on, is that really the reason? I mean, are the majority of fat people going to all of a sudden get off their butts and start running when all these trails are built? Are they all of a sudden going to put the donuts down?

I run in the neighborhood at least 5 times a week, and within the last month, I have seen one other person running. There are a few more that walk, but even walkers are far and few between. When it's all said and done, it comes down to excuses. Really and truly all one has to do is put on his/her tennis shoes and walk out the door. Start walking/jogging until their body is used to it and gradually work up to a run. It really is that simple. No need for gyms, trails, treadmills, etc..........

I know, somewhat pointless to reply to someone who is already banned, but...here goes.

Providing more trails, community sponsored physical activities, safe play areas, etc. actually may not do anything for those already extremely overweight, but it can help prevent the growing trend towards obesity for future generations. When I was a kid I didn't go anywhere without parental supervision. There were no safe areas to play in my neighborhood and my parent's drove 30 miles twice a day to take me to a private school because our district had a large amount of gang activity. Parks were more for homeless people to sleep in than for kids to play. In the past 30 years there has been a much stronger feeling that it's not safe for kids to go outside unsupervised and it's certainly not safe for them to walk to school, walk to their friends houses, etc. It's just easier for parents to keep kids in the house than take them places and have to watch them. Overweight children become overweight adults who already have a head start on the health problems that come with obesity as well as an ingrained pattern of behavior and usually struggles with depression to boot.

I live in Edmond now and I see people jogging constantly, even in bad weather. It's a safe community that has invested in sidewalks and trails (in some parts of town at least) and people are using them. They also have farmer's markets, a couple of YMCAs, and a ton of parks. So yeah, I think it makes a difference.