View Full Version : New Forum: Hi-res Aerials from 1969

Pete
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I've been working on this for months and decided to release it even though it's not nearly finished:

http://www.okctalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

We have a hi-resolution aerial for every square mile in OKC. We'll been adding the Mid/Del, Moore and Norman areas soon. We also want to label as many items as possible and then link to more about that particular business or building. I have almost one thousand ads from that year that I will post down the line.

Please be sure to read through the Users's Guide (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=29702) in order to see all the features:

Enjoy!

OKCTalker
08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
This is a treasure - thanks Pete!

Lauri101
08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Very Cool! Yet another way to avoid housework or website updates!
Thanks, Pete!

OKCisOK4me
08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I have to guess you've been working on that for a minute! Thanks Pete!

Pete
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
This turned out to be much more work than I had imagined, and I knew it was going to be a lot!

I've been sitting on this for months and realized I was never going to get everything the way I wanted, so figured I'd get it out there sooner rather than later.

I really want to label everything on every major intersection then tie that back to an article on each business/building.

I also want to have the same type of aerials for the 50's, 70's and 80s but of course, those are very long-term projects.

Dubya61
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
These are fantastic. My first few looks were sufficient, since my youth wasn't spent in OKC, but the resource sure got stuck in my brain. I keep thinking of something that interests me and I go to see what it looked like in '69. I think the best way to enjoy an area is to understand its history and this helps to fill in some gray area. Question(s), though: What is the source of these? Were they taken by plane? blimp? Did they focus on the one-mile intersections like your presentation does? You say that there's more to come (Mid/Del, Norman, etc.) -- why the interest in OKC and environs for these pictures? Were they funded by a government? What level? Obviously, you don't have to give away all your trade secrets. I just found these pictures quite intriguing and was curious about more.

Pete
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
The aerials were taken by plane, just like any aerial you see on Google.

And NO they were not taken by intersection; I did all that one by one which is why it was such a painstaking exercise. None of them even had street labels.

The government takes comprehensive aerials on a periodic basis and has been doing so for decades and for virtually the entire U.S. I discovered a reasonable source for these and procurred them. There are lots of on-line resources that sell them.

Eventually, I'd like to have a set for the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's. Google has pretty much everything after that.

okcpulse
08-17-2012, 02:40 AM
This is awesome, Pete! Nothing like peering back through Oklahoma City's past through the sky. I am particularly fascinated by the tiny size of Edmond and the intersection configuration for what is today's I-44/Lake Hefner Parkway/NW 39th Expressway interchange. Not to mention many places I spent throughout my childhood.