View Full Version : Any places that would take in a abandoned dog?

Achilleslastand
08-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Someone abandoned a dog which i rescued and after months of trying to get her to fit into the household ive pretty much decided its not gonna work out as a have a 6yr old black cocker that dosnt like the newbie at all. Taking her to the pound is not an option and i was just wondering if there are any places that would take her in and place her in a wonderful home? Of course if anyone here is interested please pm me.
She approx 6-12 months old and i have had her fixed as well as her rabies,parvo and distemper shots.
Thanks!

JayhawkTransplant
08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
What type of dog do you think she is?

You should call the shelter (297-3100) and ask them if they will take your information and provide it to the pertinent rescues/fosters (some of them prefer certain breeds). And you should place an ad on craigslist.

I'd like to mention that I have taken probably 10 dogs to the shelter in the past 2 years (I live in an area with many, many transient dogs). Every time I take one, I let the shelter know that I would like to be contacted if the dog is in danger of being euthanized. And every dog, except two, has been adopted within a WEEK of me taking it there. One of the other dogs was 'lost' and was taken back by its family, and the other dog took a bit longer to be adopted, but was indeed adopted.

Just wanted to throw that out there so the shelter isn't completely crossed off your list. Yes, there are many rescue/foster groups out there, but many that I know of work specifically with the shelter dogs, as they are the ones in the most dire situations.

Achilleslastand
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Actually im not sure the breed. Shes weights about 20lbs and is all black but has some facial features that are very Chihuahua like.
I do have an ad on GL at the moment with pics but so far no one has called.

PennyQuilts
08-12-2012, 04:22 PM
What type of dog do you think she is?

You should call the shelter (297-3100) and ask them if they will take your information and provide it to the pertinent rescues/fosters (some of them prefer certain breeds). And you should place an ad on craigslist.

I'd like to mention that I have taken probably 10 dogs to the shelter in the past 2 years (I live in an area with many, many transient dogs). Every time I take one, I let the shelter know that I would like to be contacted if the dog is in danger of being euthanized. And every dog, except two, has been adopted within a WEEK of me taking it there. One of the other dogs was 'lost' and was taken back by its family, and the other dog took a bit longer to be adopted, but was indeed adopted.

Just wanted to throw that out there so the shelter isn't completely crossed off your list. Yes, there are many rescue/foster groups out there, but many that I know of work specifically with the shelter dogs, as they are the ones in the most dire situations.

Kudos to you!

JayhawkTransplant
08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
No, kudos to the OKC Animal Welfare folks! Over the years, I've collected my menagerie of animals from shelters across the region, and I think the OKC one is one of the easiest to work with. The workers/volunteers I've encountered there have always been very patient, kind, and willing to call me back if I request it, even though their phones are ringing off the hook and there's a line of animals out the door. I've also been very impressed with the services they offer, such as discounted neutering and animal training. The animal shelter 'industry' is something that is dear to my heart, so I'm quite pleased to have landed in a city that has such a well-run program.

Roadhawg
08-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Good job on the rescue and the attempt to make her fit in. I have two rescued dogs myself and they are the best pets. Good luck on finding a good place for her.