View Full Version : Best place for meat

rondvu
08-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Just purchased a small deep freeze and want to buy some beef and chicken to fill it up. Who has suggestions for the best place to by meat. Quality and price are my biggest concerns.

Easy180
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Wheeler's on SE 44th just east of I 35

WilliamTell
08-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Ask around your work, you might have a co-worker who has a family member that runs cattle or knows someone who you could buy a quarter (you will be amazed at how much meat a 1/4 cow is) cow from. you might be surprised at how many people have connections within their family in this state and its going to be considerably cheaper than anything you could purchase at a store.

I would also suggest waiting till spring time if you were wanting to do bulk purchase of beef.

ctchandler
08-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Rondvu,
Years ago I purchased a side of beef about twice a year from Country Home Meat Co., and it was always good. Then my boys grew up and left and I lost my wife so the need for that amount of beef was no longer there. Check their web page http://www.countryhomemeats.com/beef.htm and it shows their prices, including the below for sides. I would wait a little bit for some feedback because it has been a while for me and a lot can change in a few years. Also, wherever you purchase, tell them the size of your freezer in cubic feet and they should be able to tell you how much you can store. I have a full size and it holds a full side (whole beef), but it's packed tight. Remember, if the information with your freezer says 10 cubic feet, that's 10 cubic of feet of sand. In other words, there is no way it will hold 10 feet of irregularly wrapped steaks, roasts, and all the other odd shaped things that come with a side of beef. I always enjoyed having plenty of beef. I don't think we saved money but the convenience was worth it. Also, most reputable companies will replace a side if the meat is tough. Just ask what their policy is. Good luck,
C. T.

SIDE/QUARTER $2.89 PER POUND FIGURED ON A 300 POUND DRESSED WEIGHT
FORE QUARTER $2.79

PER POUND FIGURED ON A 150 POUND DRESSED WEIGHT
HIND QUARTER $3.19 PER POUND FIGURED ON A 150 POUND DRESSED WEIGHT

tuck
08-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Take that freezer back and start buying fresh beef and chicken.

ctchandler
08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Tuck,
Explain please. I don't understand the difference. Are you just saying don't freeze beef?
Thanks,
C. T.

WilliamTell
08-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Huh?

Each year we get a side of beef that is grown by a family member, 100 percent hormone and antibiotic free, and fed what ever we specify. Then that cow is transported to a private butcher who packages the meat exactly as we specify and by law cannot be mixed with any other customers orders. Then we take it home and put it in our deep freeze to use throughout the year.

Maybe your idea of buying fresh means - Some old dairy cow who is no telling how old, what diseases , or where from (mexico), or some cow that was fed whatever and that was artificially fattened up before slaughter. That has spent weeks being transported from feed lot to feed lot by semi trucks before spending a few days without water or food before they are processed with thousands of other cows each day and all mixed into a hodgepodge meat slurry, then the whole cuts are injected with chemical solutions to rehydrate the meat and 'enhance flavor'. Then that meat slurry is frozen for months before being shipped to a distributor, then to a store where it goes from frozen storage to refrigerated, mixed with older beef that hasnt been sold, and injected with food color and dyes to make it look edible at the meat counter all so you can buy it 'fresh'....

I think i'll stick to my way.

tuck
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Fresh is always better than frozen when dealing with like quality product, farms, shipping, etc... This day and age, it is extremely easy to buy local (sometimes grass-fed), fresh-never frozen beef. It is more expensive. My parents and grandparents would also load their freezers up and it worked fine I'm sure. Also, never spent any money on a dairy cow.

WilliamTell
08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Fresh is always better than frozen when dealing with like quality product, farms, shipping, etc... This day and age, it is extremely easy to buy local (sometimes grass-fed), fresh-never frozen beef. It is more expensive. My parents and grandparents would also load their freezers up and it worked fine I'm sure. Also, never spent any money on a dairy cow.

What are you talking about?

Do you even know anything at all about beef cattle besides tired buzzwords that people who only live in the city use ?

You want the OP to go buy hamburger from a fresh never frozen, local farmer this time of year, after this summer heat and drought? Then you want him to do that each and every time he wants a burger?

Might as well demand it only drinks 'coconut water' and fed 'guacamole', while getting 'energy boosting' 'probiotics' to make it a 'superfood'.

ctchandler
08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't want to get into any arguments but when I want a nice steak for tonight I might go to Rhetts, Cusack, The Meat Market, Kamp's and others. That would also include steaks for the weekend. But there is nothing wrong with fresh meat flash frozen by a place like Country Home and placed in my freezer for day-to-day use. Lots (actually, too much) of hamburger, round steak. Tuck, where am I going wrong?
C. T.

tuck
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't want to get into any arguments but when I want a nice steak for tonight I might go to Rhetts, Cusack, The Meat Market, Kamp's and others. That would also include steaks for the weekend. But there is nothing wrong with fresh meat flash frozen by a place like Country Home and placed in my freezer for day-to-day use. Lots (actually, too much) of hamburger, round steak. Tuck, where am I going wrong?
C. T.

Nothing at all wrong with that...

Celebrator
08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
We buy all of our meat from producers at the Oklahoma Food Cooperative....much of it is grass-fed and organic, and ALL of it is raised in our great state! http://www.oklahomafood.coop/

IBLEEDRIMSON
08-13-2012, 01:09 AM

I have to agree with Tuck. If you live in OKC there are too many options for never frozen meat. I'm admittedly a foodie and dont like compromise flavor, texture, etc on something as expensive as meat. I'm also from rural Oklahoma and I understand storing large quantity of meat including deer. Obviously your wanting to store meat so I'd suggest just walking into the closest meat market and them. I really like Rhett's. My only real advise is don't get a tub freazer. Get an upright with that looks like a fridge or mini fridge.

ctchandler
08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
IBLEEDRIMSON,
It still gets back to good meat a few feet away rather than 10+ miles away. I always bought good steaks from Cusack's on SW 12th, then they opened their retail stores, the first one where Rhett's is located, and the second one at 15th and Bryant in Edmond. But I still had a nice stash in walking distance when I needed it. By the way, I have an upright freezer, but I know people, mostly farmers or ex-farmers and they seem to prefer the chest freezers. The chest freezer holds more, but you have to be organized. We weren't, so we stayed with the upright style.
C. T.

metro
08-13-2012, 09:05 AM
What are you talking about?

Do you even know anything at all about beef cattle besides tired buzzwords that people who only live in the city use ?

You want the OP to go buy hamburger from a fresh never frozen, local farmer this time of year, after this summer heat and drought? Then you want him to do that each and every time he wants a burger?

Might as well demand it only drinks 'coconut water' and fed 'guacamole', while getting 'energy boosting' 'probiotics' to make it a 'superfood'.

You do realize that tuck owns the nicest restaurants in OKC don't you? He buys the highest quality prime grade, Wagyu and dry aged beef. You should go try one of his steaks at Red Prime sometime.

WilliamTell
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
You do realize that tuck owns the nicest restaurants in OKC don't you? He buys the highest quality prime grade, Wagyu and dry aged beef. You should go try one of his steaks at Red Prime sometime.

Do you even know what wagyu beef is, or where its from?

You guys kill me. We can get into some semantics about how its impossible to get actual kobe beef or true wagyu that was born and raised here in oklahoma(hence the whole local thing). Now if you want to buy AMERICAN waygu beef (which is really angus, its just sold to yuppies as wagyu) then yes its possible. But you're forgetting the whole meaning of the thread....

-A kid bought a 160 dollar deep freeze and he wanted to fill it up and was looking for suggestions.
-He didnt ask to be told to take it back and that he should only buy never frozen 30-40 dollar a pound 'american waygu' beef.

Anyone who has been around cattle knows that there are certain times during the year when you are going to get better quality meat and buying cattle that is slaughtered after summer (let alone a drought) is not going to be as good as something you get in the spring. But to most self proclaimed 'foodies' who have never left the city, been around animals, let alone raised and slaughtered them are oblivously more aware on the subject.They say marbling of the fat in the meat is what makes it taste good. Maybe eating a cow that has been dehydrated for months, drinking stagnant pond water and chewing on dried up dead grass and sagebrush while it loses 100's of lbs of fat might have an effect on the ‘local’ waygu beef (read – angus). But hey..its never frozen.

As for redprime, ive been there twice and I honestly make better filets than they serve. The crust on the steaks and the roasted garlic on the side are the best part. Excellent service though.

Roadhawg
08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not going to take sides but I was raised in the county and my parents always had a freezer full of beef or pork, most of the time our own livestock, and it was delicious every time we had it. I've carried that tradition with me and get beef from a friend that has a farm. He lives in Missouri so I don't always get as much as I like but have never had bad meat after it's been frozen. Maybe if you left it in the freezer for a long period of time but that rarely happens in my family. Now this is not to say I don't enjoy going out for a nice steak and I've been wanting to try Red Prime for quite a while so that's next on my trying different places.

Martin
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
buying cattle that is slaughtered after summer (let alone a drought) is not going to be as good as something you get in the spring.

so what you're saying is that this is probably one of the worst times of year to fill a freezer full of meat... maybe the op would be better off buying fresh until a better time of year?

As for redprime, ive been there twice and I honestly make better filets than they serve. I would put my hand on a bible and swear to it.

i will happily judge this throwdown.

-M

Roadhawg
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
With the drought the price of beef, and most all other food is going up and will stay high for a while.

bobodod
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
The Oklahoma Food Coop http://www.oklahomafood.coop/ sells only Oklahoma-produced goods, including beef and other meats. You can find buffalo and organically-raised beef as well.

RPVIII
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Schwab Meat. Hands down the best.

WilliamTell
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
so what you're saying is that this is probably one of the worst times of year to fill a freezer full of meat... maybe the op would be better off buying fresh until a better time of year?

i will happily judge this throwdown.

-M

I see what you did there. :) Yes, I am suggesting that he stays away from purchasing large amounts of beef until the winter or spring. Now might be a good time to really get a good idea what types of cuts you want, if you like grass/ corn/whatever fed and if you really see yourself needing to purchase a 1/4thof a cow. Like i said earlier it really is alot of meat and will prob over flow a small chest freezer.

I think once you make the switch from super market to having your own butchered you will taste the difference and be amazed at how you could eat the other stuff for so long.

Personal story about why im so against buying beef in summer - When i was growing up I had a uncle pass away during the summer and my dad helped his wife sell all of the cattle that he had. My uncle was having some health problems but we all didnt know how serious it was until it was too late. Unfortunately we found out that he wasnt able to tend to the cattle that he had over the summer so they were pretty much left on there own to graze on brush and the water that was in the stock ponds. We had one of the cattle butchered for outselves and split it between our family and hers.It was a limousin hefer that was kept around the rocky lake eufaula area and it was the rankest beef i've ever tasted. No amount of taco or chili seasoning could cover up how bad it was. He tried everything we could to try to neutralize the taste but nothing helped, not even cutting it with half store bought ground beef. He eventually ended up just throwing it all away and that's a lot of cow.

If you've ever hunted - It was like eating a deer from kansas that has fed on corn all year long and then trying a bite of an oklahoman one. It was just rank.

PennyQuilts
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
All interesting. I've learned a few things from this thread. I would have thought that people would be selling off their cattle, cheap, since the drought has made it expensive to feed them. I could see not wanting to buy scrawny beef but after last year, I would have thought people would have been qucker to pull the trigger on selling and less likely to hold out, hoping the rains (and grass) would return. I'm not much of a beef eater so not in the market but this is interesting. Thanks.

BoulderSooner
08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
if you are interested in "american kobe" ... http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

not to say that american wagyu is not great ( i think it is)

Dubya61
08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
All interesting. I've learned a few things from this thread. I would have thought that people would be selling off their cattle, cheap, since the drought has made it expensive to feed them. I could see not wanting to buy scrawny beef but after last year, I would have thought people would have been qucker to pull the trigger on selling and less likely to hold out, hoping the rains (and grass) would return. I'm not much of a beef eater so not in the market but this is interesting. Thanks.

My contacts in the cattle business say that the outlook for beef prices is so good that it's worth it to pay a premium to feed them and keep good cattle, since a lot of herds were severely reduced already in the past. A good buddy of mine says he's gonna sell only what he absolutely has to with an eye to the going price.

WilliamTell
08-15-2012, 05:32 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

Thank you for posting it. I think more people should read it before they spend extra money on what they think is kobe or wagyu beef...

I like Tuck and Metro, but im going to share this last little tidit of information (sorry tuck). Ok, restaurant owners are all about 'fresh' never frozen beef AND also dry aged beef. So you take fresh beef, then let it sit in the fridge for weeks to let the bacteria break it down and sell it for more....yuppies think about that one for awhile.

One more thing(sorry tuck). Most people dont actually get dry aged beef that they think they are buying. Making dry aged beef is extremely difficult, expensive, takes up alot of room, and you lose a lot of the steak because you have to cut off the dense dehydrated mold that forms around the steak. Most places sell what is actually wet aged beef (doesnt sound as good) which is beef that is sealed in a cryovac bag (like you get meat in at sams) and you keep it in the fridge for a few weeks. Its a lot cheaper and safer to let meat break down in a controlled bag that doesnt have oxygen in it than it is to truly dry age beef.

So think about those things the next time you sit down and enjoy that 45 dollar - Wagyu, fresh never frozen, dry aged beef filet.

I'm reposting this because i think its internet gold.

BoulderSooner
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
dry aging is not that hard .. but wet aging has is now the preferred process ... either way aging beef 100% improves the tenderness and flavor of the meat

Dubya61
08-15-2012, 11:56 AM
I've had it and liked it (aged beef -- I assumed it was dry, but don't know), but can't help but put it into the category of food that is improved in ways I'm not willing to accept ... like the coffee beans that have been through a rare cat's digestive track, or others.

JuJuBeans
08-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I heard Bill Kamp's was the best meat market? I'm not really sure though.. But, If you want good price and decent meat, I'd consider Sam's Club (since, I agree with some others that good quality meat should never be frozen..) they have decent meat to put in your freezer. My mom and I have been buying beef and chicken at Sam's Club for years to marinate Korean short ribs and spicy chicken bulgogi and then put them in the freezer to thaw and cook all the time. Today, I thawed two plain chicken breasts that I got from Sam's Club months ago to make BBQ chicken sandwiches for me and my husband, and for something simple like that to eat at home.. I think it is great to have a freezer to store meat and make meals out of them! But, I'm also not a fan of frozen then cooked steak, but that's just me.. If I want a good filet mignon I'll go to the Ranch Steakhouse, but for every day cooking just go to Sam's Club and buy meat by the bulk and freeze it, lol!

RadicalModerate
08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
We almost never eat steak so when we do, I like to buy something worth eating. I know that I'm going to get some jeers and sneers here, but the last time I did steak for a special occassion I used a couple of Angus Prime NY Strip Steaks from the meat counter at the Homeland at May and Britton. They were not inexpensive, but I think they turned out as good as any steak I've ever eaten in any restaurant or steakhouse. The cooking may have had something to do with it, but those steaks had to have been exceptional to begin with.

WilliamTell
08-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I know that I'm going to get some jeers and sneers here, but the last time I did steak for a special occassion I used a couple of Angus Prime NY Strip Steaks from the meat counter at the Homeland at May and Britton.

Nothing wrong with that. IMHO I think at grocery stores with meat counters you can get better tasting meat than some of the yuppie branded steaks at the higher end grocery stores, most places just over charge you for some added buzz words. The only place i really do not like is walmart, or places that sell prepackaged meat that isnt cryovac'd. Although I will say I did get a great flank steak from Whole Foods a couple of weeks back after i found out that someone ate all of mine!

Here's what I have going on tonight. 1 inch bone in rib eye steaks, going to trim them down just a little bit, coat them them with olive oil, garlic, and cracked black pepper (always add salt last at 5-10 minutes before hand, earlier will pull out moisture) and throw them in a searing hot cast iron skillet with butter.

foodiefan
08-17-2012, 04:26 PM
a friend swears by The Meat House in Edmond. .

SSEiYah
08-17-2012, 09:46 PM
The best steaks for the price are in Mustang. Their choice grade is similar to other more expensive butcher's prime cuts.

I do not think their meet has been frozen. It is mostly locally sourced from what I was told by an employee there. Either way I dont care, its darn good and I will make the 20 mile drive to mustang to load up on steaks.

Wheelers is good, and cheaper/better than supermarket cuts but hit or miss. When they have good sales on NY strip, they are good but I avoid other cuts as they are a little too fatty it seems like. (large chunks of fat).

If you have money check out the place near britton and may, Rhetts.

Martin
08-18-2012, 06:56 AM
The best steaks for the price are in Mustang.

are you referring to cossey's? some freinds of mine swear by them. -M

metro
08-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks WilliamTell. What does everyone typically stock up on in an average purchase?

WilliamTell
08-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Out of the 1/2 cow we got this year a 1/4 of its at my parents and we have the rest in my freezer. If I had to go off memory on the 1/4th thats in my freezer....

-45 -60 bags of ground beef (typically 1lb- 1 1/2)
-about 6-8 good sized roast (my wife and i like them, plus you can put lots of vegetables in there)(round, tip, arm)
-2 stew meat
-4 ribeyes
-4 tbones
-4 filets
-2 ny strips
-skirt steak
-4 packs of fajita meat
-6 packs of tenderized beef for chicken fried steak(cube)
-2 beef cutlets
-2 huge sirloins (should really been made in 4 packs) which are great. We made 1 into asian style beef and the other carneasda and both were great. this quickly becoming my go to steak. Lean, tender, flavorful if you dont over cook it.

If I remember correctly i think we paid around 800 dollars for a 1/2 cow and that included processing, that's on the cheap side. This year I wish I wouldnt of asked for so much hamburger because we dont have people over for cookouts/burgers like we once did. Plus getting older our metabolism is slowing down and my week night dinners are more along the lines of turkey sandwiches or leftovers from the weekend. Plus with little kids running around you find yourself eating more chicken nuggets that a grown man should.

metro
08-21-2012, 07:33 AM
I hear you on the chicken nuggets

kevinpate
08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Enjoy a nugget or two with them when they want nuggets.
Savor real food once they are in bed.
Graduate them beyond chicky-bites to real food early.

Let them help, in any age appropriate way possible, to make good nuggets at home.
It will help them understand f-food stuff is for rush times, not a first choice.

cattleman
10-11-2012, 11:09 AM
If anyone has any questions on this topic, I would be happy to try and answer them. I personally raise, finish and sell 6-8 steers from my herd a year to co-workers and friends. So if you have any questions, fire away.

RadicalModerate
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
We visited an organic farm up in Wisconsin run by some old friends of my wife. He raises lambs, chickens and some cattle under VERY strict regulations and guidelines. He said something about grass-fed cattle having a different taste from regular beef and that some people like it and some people don't. Apparently, he has all of the business he can handle, so a lot of people must like the difference in flavor. (BTW: I hadn't seen dozens of chickens, and a few roosters, running around loose since I was a child and we'd come down here to visit my grandparents. I'm not crazy about eggs, but the eggs from these chickens were the best I've ever had.) So . . . What about that Organic, Grass-Fed Beef?

BBatesokc
10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Current Groupon for the Edmonds, The Meat House.

The Meat House Deal of the Day | Groupon Oklahoma City (http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-meat-house-edmond)