View Full Version : The Role of the Moderator

Todd
08-27-2004, 08:26 AM
When I started this site in May, 2004 it was pretty easy to maintain just a handful of forums, and only 10 members - lol. Now that the site is growing and harvesting over 500 new posts each month, it isn't always easy for me to be in every thread, in every forum, all the time. I knew this day would come, so we recently implemented the beginnings of the "moderator" program. I've spoken with several other forum administrators and with their help developed a basic outline for the role a moderator should play.

The role of the moderator is simple. Communities are emotionally demanding. You want a community moderator who is able to deal with anyone who enters the community without creating flare-up and problems. This requires a calm, firm, gentle hand and a mixture of warmth and resiliency. Imagine you have to leave this person alone with your children and you'll have a pretty good handle on the set of characteristics you're looking for. This is probably the most important trait, and one at which people are notoriously bad at self-assessing.

A successful community will require lots of personal attention at the start and then eventually become too big to manage. The community moderator has to have both a strong nurturing ability, and the wisdom to know when to stop nurturing and hand control over to the leaders who will naturally arise within the community. What you want to avoid is someone who likes to manage every detail of a project - these people will not give over control gracefully, and will eventually crush the life out of the community. Instead, you want someone who can oversee lots of different things, without feeling the need to directly control any of it. When talking to references, you might probe how they managed projects in the past.

Communities grow in ideas. A good community moderator is interested in new ideas, receptive to different opinions, and can help organize information in a way that promotes new learning.

Flexibility in thinking, and active-seeking of new ideas and knowledge, is imperative. Also, an ability to organize materials is helpful.

The community moderator should have a good handle on the subject area. Someone who has gone through the same experiences as their members is liable to have a better ability to guide a discussion.

Now, let's chat for a second about the more pragmatic, realistic side of being a moderator. Moderators here are mostly traffic cops, and ocassionally, part riot control cops. Their primary duties include:

Moving off-topic threads to the proper forum. No, we don't live in a world where every thread has to be "sanitized" and placed in its own little "bucket". That's silly. We try to do it to (A) afford the poster with a better chance of sparking a discussion and/or getting the help they need from the folks who are best suited to participate in the thread, and (B) to make it easier for new members down the road to locate threads that will be useful/helpful to them.
Keep threads focused, and on-topic. This is important, for obvious reasons.
Settle the ocassional debate which invariably will arise between community members
On a final note, I'd like to expand a bit on the last point above. If the moderators need my help in making a decision, or you disagree with their decision, I am of course, ready to jump in and help sort things out. However, please give them a chance to resolve conflicts before doing something silly, like leaving the community. Most of the time, conflicts here are a simple matter of miscommunication. Electronic text does a poor job of conveying intent.

Remember, our moderators are volunteers. They do what they do simply out of their passion for their respective areas of expertise, and this community.

Cheers.
Todd

Patrick
08-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Todd, thanks so much for taking the time to spell this all out. I know I'll come back to this thread often for advice, so I'm glad you stuck it to the top of this forum.

I want everyone to know, that both DarlingDiva and I are available anytime you have a problem with the forums, or simply have a question about something. In fact, I've already received one concern from a member on this forum. I had to expain the circumstance to the individual, provide advice on how to deal with the problem, and let the person know that I was available to handle the problem, should one arise out of the concern.

By all means feel free to contact either of us, or Todd if you have a concern about this forum. We'd be glad to help!

Also, if you haven't read the "Reporting Abuse" thread, you might take a look. Basically I was just pointing out that in any arena of debate, there's always a possiblity that a discussion can get out of hand. Try to think before you post, and if you start feeling threatened, leave the thread, and contact myself or DarlingDiva....We're more than happy to help coach and provide advice on how to deal with the issue. The last thing we'd recommend is for you to go ahead and reply to the post and post something that you later regret. And if we find that a post contains questionable material, we will deal with it in an appropriate manner, after talking with the poster.

Anyways, I'm hoping this will never have to happen! Just stay positive and play fair!! We're here to help if you need us!