View Full Version : Massaman Curry

PennyQuilts
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I know we've discussed Thai restaurants, in general, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for my latest food passion - Massaman Curry. We usually go to Panang but I discovered that SalaThai has a great Massaman. I tried the Sweet Basil, in Bethany and theirs was pretty good but I like SalaThai's, better. Anyone know of any really fantastic Massaman Curry joints?

RadicalModerate
08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Aren't Massaman Curry joints a little soggy and hard to light?

sorry . . . just kidding . . . what is "Massaman Curry" anyways?
(actually, the question should be: What is "Massaman" as i am familiar with "curry"...)

BAreteH
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I really enjoy the massaman at Sweet Basil in Norman. I have tried it at Thai House 2 on 23rd and wasnt that impressed. Moon Thai really surprised me with their massaman but I have only been there the one time. I started making my own massaman curry almost 2 years ago because I enjoy it so much and have found that its pretty easy to cook.

Massaman Curry is a curry made up of meat (usually beef, Chicken, tofu), Coconut milk, potatoes, peanuts, palm sugar, fish sauce, chili sauce, onion, red pepper, and tamarind or lime juice. I have tried a few different recipes and find most of them turn out tasting about the same. Try it! This a great dish!!

RadicalModerate
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
If it has tamarind in it, it has to be good. (really. i love that flavor)
Plus the rest of it sounds good too! (i've been meaning to buy some fish sauce for a long time. this will give me a good reason to do so.)

I made something "Mexican" the other day and the only "tamarind" flavored base I could find at the store was some Tamarind Nectar (two cans of which I reduced to concentrate the flavor). I don't want to mess with prepping fresh tamarinds (and don't know where I would find them) but I hear that there is a tamarind paste available. I just wonder where that place is.

OKC Localvore
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I have heard Charm Thai Cuisine in OKC/Warr Acres has good Massaman Curry, although I haven't tried it. I also love Sweet Basil and Thai Thai in Norman. I'm so hungry for Thai food now!

Charm Thai Cuisine
5805 NW 50th St.
Warr Acres, OK 73122
405-792-2153

www.okclocalvore.com (http://www.okclocalvore.com)

ljbab728
08-01-2012, 10:38 PM
As a coincidence, I happened to come across a segment on "Tommy Tang's Easy Thai Cooking" tonight on OETA Create that was featuring Massaman Curry.

rjstone208
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
If it has tamarind in it, it has to be good. (really. i love that flavor)
Plus the rest of it sounds good too! (i've been meaning to buy some fish sauce for a long time. this will give me a good reason to do so.)

I made something "Mexican" the other day and the only "tamarind" flavored base I could find at the store was some Tamarind Nectar (two cans of which I reduced to concentrate the flavor). I don't want to mess with prepping fresh tamarinds (and don't know where I would find them) but I hear that there is a tamarind paste available. I just wonder where that place is.

For anything Asian or for pretty much any kind of ethic food ingredients the place to go is Cao Nguyen just off 23d & Classen. They have everything and stuff you've never even thought of. Also highly recommend Sweet Basil in Norman.

RadicalModerate
08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the tip!
I'll bet they used to have it (tamarind paste or alt.) at that huge Indian grocery on N. MacArthur around 50th but that place went away awhile back.

eataroundokc.com
08-02-2012, 07:45 AM
I would second the mention of Charm in Warr Acres. One of our writers just wrote about it last week, with great things to say about their Massaman. Here's a link if you are interested -> http://www.eataroundokc.com/charm-authentic-thai/

PennyQuilts
08-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I would second the mention of Charm in Warr Acres. One of our writers just wrote about it last week, with great things to say about their Massaman. Here's a link if you are interested -> http://www.eataroundokc.com/charm-authentic-thai/

Thanks!! It will go on my short list.

sooner88
08-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Pad Thai in Norman has some very good curry... They have a lunch special where your choice of curry is included, and is relatively inexpensive.