View Full Version : Gay Man's Car Blown Up in NW OKC; Homophobic Slur Spraypainted on Car

soonerguru
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Hopefully this thread won't devolve into people assuring us that "this was not a hate crime." And "everything would be OK if the gays don't kiss at Chik-Fil-A."

From News 9:

http://www.news9.com/story/19087334/okc-man-injured-in-fiery-attack-that-may-be-hate-crime

HewenttoJared
07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Terrible. There are consequences to demonizing people.

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Apparently the people that did this have no stock in their lives. Truly despicable...

WilliamTell
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Hopefully this thread won't devolve into people assuring us that "this was not a hate crime." And "everything would be OK if the gays don't kiss at Chik-Fil-A."

From News 9:

http://www.news9.com/story/19087334/okc-man-injured-in-fiery-attack-that-may-be-hate-crime

Everything would be OK if those 'coloreds' just went to their own restaurants instead of trying to turn this into a big deal.

Or

If those 'colored's' don't like it they don't have to eat there.

I'm not a big fan of the gay lifestyle, but i just blank out the word 'gay' and insert any other race/sex/ whatever to ensure that i dont end up some simple minded bigot.

stratosphere
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
This is terrible. I hope that he recovers and that the police are able to catch whoever did this dispicable act.

PennyQuilts
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Do they know what it was that caused the explosion?

Roadhawg
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Sad

Dustin
07-25-2012, 10:42 PM

The article said the vandals threw something in the back of his car which caught it on fire. Probably a Molotov type explosive.

It's sad that people just can't accept other people for the way they are. If you're gonna be against gay marriage because it says so in the bible, then you also better be against haircuts (Leviticus 19:27). You can't pick and choose.

Maynard
07-25-2012, 10:57 PM
The article said the vandals threw something in the back of his car which caught it on fire. Probably a Molotov type explosive.

It's sad that people just can't accept other people for the way they are. If you're gonna be against gay marriage because it says so in the bible, then you also better be against haircuts (Leviticus 19:27). You can't pick and choose.

No theologian here, but I reckon that Ruth and Naomi were 'together', as were David and Jonathan.

Spartan
07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
McAffrey's flag.

PennyQuilts
07-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Did they get a desription of the vandals? Seems odd that they'd go to the trouble to write on the car and then come prepared to torch it. That's moving up the type of criminal offense from tiny to enormous and to go to the trouble of building a molotov cocktail suggests they had time to think it through.

PennyQuilts
07-26-2012, 06:06 AM
No theologian here, but I reckon that Ruth and Naomi were 'together', as were David and Jonathan.

meh. Unlikely. They were mother-in-law and daughter-in-law and in that culture, the mother-in-law pretty much ruled supreme and was the object of a lot of respect and hero worship.

HewenttoJared
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Did they get a desription of the vandals? Seems odd that they'd go to the trouble to write on the car and then come prepared to torch it. That's moving up the type of criminal offense from tiny to enormous and to go to the trouble of building a molotov cocktail suggests they had time to think it through.

You're thinking the guy torched his own car? I had the same thought initially, but he was injured fairly badly, so it seems less likely.

bucktalk
07-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Uhmmm --nope!

Just the facts
07-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Old Testament - go talk to the Jews about it. Christians live under the New Testament. You can't pick and choose.

Reading that news story - any chance he torched his own car? I mean, he had to be pretty darn close to it - even closer than the person who set it on fire unless other people were also at the burn center that night.

Double Edge
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
No way. Everyone knows homosexuality didn't start until the '80s.

Double Edge
07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
A friend of mine lives in a pretty decent neighborhood on Kindling Lane off Sooner road. Someone parked and torched a car in the middle of the night across the street from his house a few weeks ago. I never saw anything about it in the news. Not a trend I want to see shape up.

Just the facts
07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Someone parked and torched a car in the middle of the night across the street from his house a few weeks ago.

That was probably a stolen car and used during the commission of another crime. That is how car thieves get rid of the car after they are done with them (no finger prints or other evidence). Or the person couldn't make the payments anymore.

venture
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Old Testament - go talk to the Jews about it. Christians live under the New Testament. You can't pick and choose.

Though most Christians these days tend to keep pulling from the Old Testament. So perhaps they need the lecture more than anyone. :)

The whole situation is just scary and sad. As long as the person didn't stage it himself, it is sad that these type of people still exist in society. Granted they will until this rock get absorbed by the Sun or we get wiped out sooner. :)

People just need to learn to live and let live. If someone's life bothers you then move on and don't give it a second though. Stop caring what others think and just enjoy life. People getting all worked up based on who people are wanting to share their life or based on which deity they want to believe in is just so beneath what the human race is capable of.

Practice the golden rule and move on.

Just the facts
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Though most Christians these days tend to keep pulling from the Old Testament. So perhaps they need the lecture more than anyone. :)

The whole situation is just scary and sad. As long as the person didn't stage it himself, it is sad that these type of people still exist in society. Granted they will until this rock get absorbed by the Sun or we get wiped out sooner. :)

People just need to learn to live and let live. If someone's life bothers you then move on and don't give it a second though. Stop caring what others think and just enjoy life. People getting all worked up based on who people are wanting to share their life or based on which deity they want to believe in is just so beneath what the human race is capable of.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is about arson.

kevinpate
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
On a side note, when did Rusty Surette and News 9 get back together? I hadn't noticed him on air since the last time I saw him as part of RC, so his name on the by-line of the article stood out.

venture
07-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is about arson.

Hmm, maybe just the first sentence which was in response to your religious remark (which was in relation to someone else's...but you saw fit to still comment on it). The rest is abut the situation where an apparent crime of harassment and hate took place. Unless of course you are privy to new information that it was his own doing?

Just the facts
07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Hmm, maybe just the first sentence which was in response to your religious remark (which was in relation to someone else's...but you saw fit to still comment on it). The rest is abut the situation where an apparent crime of harassment and hate took place. Unless of course you are privy to new information that it was his own doing?

Sorry, I thought you were refering to the Chick-fil-a situation and were telling the people upset by it to just move on. I thought this thread was about a car fire, which is a crime and needs to be resolved.

venture
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Sorry, I thought you were refering to the Chick-fil-a situation and were telling the people upset by it to just move on. I thought this thread was about a car fire, which is a crime and needs to be resolved.

Well Kerry I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and clear things up for you. My comment is directed towards people that do the act that this thread is about against someone based on their orientation. Which is obviously related to this.

Just the facts
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Got it - car burning homophobes need to move on. Religophobes meet at Chick-fil-a.

Maynard
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Uhmmm --nope!

Don't reckon Paul was a repressed 'mo, either.

Lord Helmet
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM

At first glance I would say anti gay bigotry.

NoOkie
07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
At first glance I would say anti gay bigotry.

If that has moved from politically incendiary to literally incendiary Westboro Baptist is going to need their own traveling fire department.

kevinpate
09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Got it - car burning homophobes need to move on. Religophobes meet at Chick-fil-a.

It's a whole new day for the oh shucks huckabee parades
Chick-fil-A agrees to stop funding antigay groups, Chicago alderman says | The Lookout - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-funding-anti-gay-groups-175154249.html?_esi=1)

ThomPaine
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM

You are absolutely the most passive-aggressive person I have ever seen...