View Full Version : How far is too far?

bucktalk
07-25-2012, 06:08 AM
In light of the same sex kiss-in supposedly taking place at Chick-fil-'s soon - it made me think how far is too far in public displays of affection? What display of public affection is 'over the top' in your opinion?

For me? Holding hands or a very quick peck on the cheek is plenty! Other than that....find some privacy.

Roadhawg
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
More than a very quick peck on the cheek isn't appropriate in public?

bandnerd
07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
We walk as far away from one another as possible ;)

Seriously, though, as long as people aren't groping each other, I don't care. I personally don't care to engage in those behaviors in public. I might hold a hand or put an arm around my husband, but that's about it.

Or that thing where people walk with their hand in the other person's back pocket. That's just creepy to me for some reason. I might cringe when I see it but I don't pass out from the vapors because they're doing it.

Roadhawg
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
We walk as far away from one another as possible ;)

Seriously, though, as long as people aren't groping each other, I don't care. I personally don't care to engage in those behaviors in public. I might hold a hand or put an arm around my husband, but that's about it.

Or that thing where people walk with their hand in the other person's back pocket. That's just creepy to me for some reason. I might cringe when I see it but I don't pass out from the vapors because they're doing it.

My ex used to do that but then she was going for my billfold lol

PennyQuilts
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I was pretty disgusting as a young thing, I admit it. I'm still pretty tolerant of most things but it finally dawned on me that a lot of people don't like that sort of thing so I try to keep it to a quick peck, quick hug (longer at the airport) or a pat on the back. For me, personally, I don't mind seeing people engage in long hugs and being a bit clingy. I think open mouthed kisses are a bit much - these days, anyway.

MDot
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Agreed with bucktalk and PennyQuilts.

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
My ex and I used to make out in public all the time (granted that it was in a 21+ environment) but no groping.

But you know what I consider going too far?? Breast feeding in public. Being out at a restaurant and your sister whips one out so your nephew/niece can go to town on it, you get this 'I don't know this person' feeling!

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
My ex and I used to make out in public all the time (granted that it was in a 21+ environment) but no groping.

But you know what I consider going too far?? Breast feeding in public. Being out at a restaurant and your sister whips one out so your nephew/niece can go to town on it, you get this 'I don't know this person' feeling!

Has Braum's been made aware of this cultural anomoly? (potential battleground issue)
I hope so. Although most public breast-feeders are more likely to be spotted at the SnakBar in a WalmartSuperCenter. =)

kevinpate
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't suppose I'll ever understand why that rattles some folks. Look on the bright side of things, a breast feeding baby is a baby who is a tad too busy to launch into a lung power demonstration. Now, how can that be a bad thang?

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Nothing wrong with using a breast pump. Is that a bad thang? ;-)

bandnerd
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't suppose I'll ever understand why that rattles some folks. Look on the bright side of things, a breast feeding baby is a baby who is a tad too busy to launch into a lung power demonstration. Now, how can that be a bad thang?

Agreed!

PennyQuilts
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Nothing wrong with using a breast pump. Is that a bad thang? ;-)

Doesn't sound to me like you've used one. Ugh.

venture
07-25-2012, 06:18 PM

I've heard they are pretty uncomfortable/painful.

I have no problem with breast feeding if the mother is using one of the cloth covers to keep anything from being exposed in plain view.

As far as PDA in general. I'm not a very PDA type person...hug is about as far as you'll see me go.

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2012, 09:44 PM

My boss has and she wouldn't dare breast feed.

PennyQuilts
07-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Let me go on record that, given the health benefits to the mother and child, including passing immunity, that I am all in favor of breast feeding. Yes, people can be sloppy about it and at a certain point it is alarming if the child is too old, but I'm all for supporting them. Nothing sexual or nasty about breast feeding. People who get icked out by it probably can't help their feelings but in balancing health vs individual's personal distaste, I say go for a healthy baby. The alternative, frequently, is to expect women to stay home to feed the babies and THAT sounds a bit too oppressive - and unnecessary - to me. A nursing mother of a young baby is going to dry up if she doesn't nurse frequently. And it isn't good for the baby, either. Believe me, the breast pump is a necessary evil with the emphasis on evil. If you men don't know how awful it is, it is because the women around you are being stoic. My suggestion is to do the same and support healthy babies. That's all.

bucktalk
07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
One one occasion I saw a couple in line at a 'order here' type of restaurant who could not keep their tongues in their mouths while the rest of us in line were subjected to the moment. Would you consider this kind of tongue probing in public too far?

Larry OKC
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
No matter what the gender combination, too far is along the lines of the infamous Al & Tipper Gore...but for that matter the same when Bush gave Oprah a peck on the cheek...LOL

venture
07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Let me go on record that, given the health benefits to the mother and child, including passing immunity, that I am all in favor of breast feeding. Yes, people can be sloppy about it and at a certain point it is alarming if the child is too old, but I'm all for supporting them. Nothing sexual or nasty about breast feeding. People who get icked out by it probably can't help their feelings but in balancing health vs individual's personal distaste, I say go for a healthy baby. The alternative, frequently, is to expect women to stay home to feed the babies and THAT sounds a bit too oppressive - and unnecessary - to me. A nursing mother of a young baby is going to dry up if she doesn't nurse frequently. And it isn't good for the baby, either. Believe me, the breast pump is a necessary evil with the emphasis on evil. If you men don't know how awful it is, it is because the women around you are being stoic. My suggestion is to do the same and support healthy babies. That's all.

I like this point. Americans are far too uptight about the human body. The breasts especially have a key function for child care. If a baby needs to eat, a baby needs to eat. I guess I might be a bit more desensitized to it all coming from a medical family.

wallbreaker
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I like this point. Americans are far too uptight about the human body. The breasts especially have a key function for child care. If a baby needs to eat, a baby needs to eat. I guess I might be a bit more desensitized to it all coming from a medical family.

Yes. People who flip out or are bothered by breastfeeding either need to get the stick out of their ass, or grow up out of thier 13 year old "giggling" phase. They probably still laugh when someone says Uranus.

My wife was asked to leave K-Mart (when they were still here) with my first son when she tried to breast feed him there. She ended up getting an apology from corporate, and an affirmation that they know that breastfeeding in public is legal in Oklahoma. They got a nice letter from the state department of health as well.

venture
07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
We just make the human body too taboo in this country. I can understand covering up the reproductive parts, but everything else shouldn't get people worked up. There are some males with breasts larger than women's, but they aren't told to wear a bra or keep them covered. :-P

Stew
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
So long as somebody isn't touching me or impeding my travels I could not care less what they do. I don't concern myself with things that don't concern me.

PennyQuilts
07-26-2012, 05:46 PM
We just make the human body too taboo in this country. I can understand covering up the reproductive parts, but everything else shouldn't get people worked up. There are some males with breasts larger than women's, but they aren't told to wear a bra or keep them covered. :-P

But I wish they would. Oh, I wish they would.

Dustin
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Trying to lick your significant others' tonsils in public is too much for me. Kissing I have no problem with.

boscorama
07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Has it been mentioned that breast feeding doesn't add to taxpayers' burdens?

venture
07-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Has it been mentioned that breast feeding doesn't add to taxpayers' burdens?

Way to attempt to derail a thread. :-P