View Full Version : 14 Dead

ljbab728
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
http://newsok.com/authorities-trying-to-id-14-killed-in-texas-crash/article/feed/407238

This is a story that's been virtually overlooked by the national media in the wake of the massacre in Colorado. Maybe illegal immigrants deaths don't matter? I understand the difference in an accident and a planned event but they deserve at least some consideration.

BBatesokc
07-24-2012, 05:13 AM
*Warning: Any mention (positive or negative) of seat belts, human trafficking, illegal immigrants and/or US/Mexico border issues will result in an immediate backlash unless done so after the funerals of all involved.

Bostonfan
07-24-2012, 06:44 AM
So now we are going to post every death that happens? Or are the only deaths that matter the one's that happened in bunches? What's the number we should be looking for, 8 deaths, 10, 12???

I really don't mean to be rude ljbab, but deaths happen every day, as you well know. My point is, why do the deaths of this accident make OKCTALK forum, while all the others don't?

Roadhawg
07-24-2012, 07:12 AM
I did see that story and first thought of how that pickup was packed full and also wondered what made the driver lose control like that, other than too many people in the cab. It looks like they were going pretty fast when it happened too. A sad thing to happen to anybody. This is an open topic forum so there's no reason to not put it in here and Brian you're being a dick to post that on a thread about 14 people being killed.

RadicalModerate
07-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Five people were killed in a car wreck in New York a couple of days ago.
They were in a Mercedes Benz. The police chief said it was the worst wreck he had seen in his 26 years of service.
(It was an SUV, not a sedan like the one Princess Diana was riding in.)
I would bet that texting was involved in both "accidents".

Roadhawg
07-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Overcrowding in the cab of the pickup could have been a factor as well. Sorry to hear about those killed in the other accident.

BBatesokc
07-24-2012, 08:20 AM
I did see that story and first thought of how that pickup was packed full and also wondered what made the driver lose control like that, other than too many people in the cab. It looks like they were going pretty fast when it happened too. A sad thing to happen to anybody. This is an open topic forum so there's no reason to not put it in here and Brian you're being a dick to post that on a thread about 14 people being killed.

And there was no reason to attack myself and others in the other thread for simply posing some questions and scenarios. So, get over it - and trust me, being 'a dick' is no stranger for you.

Just the facts
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Don't under-estimate the "it could have been me" response to these two incidents. I go to movies, I don't smuggle Humans.

Roadhawg
07-24-2012, 09:31 AM
And there was no reason to attack myself and others in the other thread for simply posing some questions and scenarios. So, get over it - and trust me, being 'a dick' is no stranger for you.

LOL you're right, you're no stranger to me.

Martin
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
you guys know better. enough with the personal attacks... -M

RadicalModerate
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
The saddest part of this whole incident is the lack of seat-belt checkpoints at which ID cards could be checked and deportations be arranged.
Well . . . Maybe not the "saddest" but in the top two.

(Did the Re-Structured On-Line Edition of Le Oklahoman du Jour Nuveaux drop The Obit Section?)

OKCisOK4me
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
http://newsok.com/authorities-trying-to-id-14-killed-in-texas-crash/article/feed/407238

This is a story that's been virtually overlooked by the national media in the wake of the massacre in Colorado. Maybe illegal immigrants deaths don't matter? I understand the difference in an accident and a planned event but they deserve at least some consideration.

I don't think the general public is going to care about illegal immigrants being killed considering they're here ILLEGALLY (it's unfortunate that children were involved but...). The point of this thread is only good if you're going to also mention the # of Arab citizens who were labeled as "collateral damage" while our troops fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. Let's not also forget the large amount of kids that die each day from starvation? Do I need to go on?

ljbab728
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't think the general public is going to care about illegal immigrants being killed considering they're here ILLEGALLY (it's unfortunate that children were involved but...). The point of this thread is only good if you're going to also mention the # of Arab citizens who were labeled as "collateral damage" while our troops fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. Let's not also forget the large amount of kids that die each day from starvation? Do I need to go on?

You're absolutely right. Let's also not forget the amount of coverage that was afforded the OKC bombing when the numbers killed pale in comparison to those locations. My point is right on. I'm not saying the two incidents deserve equal coverage but the fact that someone would think that it's of little concern because they were here illegally is beyond belief.

OKCisOK4me
07-24-2012, 11:23 PM
If they were citizens of this country then I would feel obliged to weep with you..

ljbab728
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
If they were citizens of this country then I would feel obliged to weep with you..

I don't weep anymore than I weep for any death of someone that I don't know or don't have feelings for. That isn't my point at all so that obviously went right over your head

Our own Woody Guthrie said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njNWjTkLVs&feature=related

http://www.schweich.com/geoCAFreLosGatosCynCrash.html

ljbab728
07-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Or another version by our American icon who obviously by her passion disagrees with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec0A-bVqLlw&feature=related

Lord Helmet
07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

I'm not weeping fo them as I didn't know them...I do think it's sad that they were killed. Doesn't matter to me their nationality.

Beastboii
07-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow. Just wow. Illegal or legal god still put them on this earth

HewenttoJared
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM

What kind of person says this?

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
What kind of person says this?

The kind that's not afraid to hold back what they're actually thinking when they went out earlier in the night previous to typing it. I can't undo what I said and at the same time, Im still wondering why you care so much considering there are thousands dying per day that you don't even care about yourself. Don't be hypocritical.

Just the facts
07-25-2012, 10:32 PM
People killed or injured during the commission of a crime typically get less sympathy. That is just how it is. People kill or injured doing stupid stuff get little sympathy as well. Combine the 2 into one act and ...

ljbab728
07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
People killed or injured during the commission of a crime typically get less sympathy. That is just how it is. People kill or injured doing stupid stuff get little sympathy as well. Combine the 2 into one act and ...

There's no doubt about that, Kerry. I'm at a loss to figure out how an 8 year old child fits into either of those categories, however. Woody Guthrie's lyrics are still spot on.