View Full Version : Dusty Dvoracek, Teddy Lehman are in a rush

ou48A
07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Dusty Dvoracek, Teddy Lehman are in a rush

http://newsok.com/dusty-dvoracek-teddy-lehman-are-in-a-rush/article/3694496

blangtang
07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
The time is coming when I occasionally listen to local sports talk shows, I'll have to give this one a try...

ou48A
07-23-2012, 08:05 AM
If you are an OU fan after a couple of weeks of listening you will probably realize how bad the others are.
When it comes to football sports talk radio discussions and knowledge of the sport, these 2 are far ahead of anybody else in our market.
The station also has Toby Roland who also has a very high quality show. Because of this line up I listen to WWLS very little these days.

onthestrip
07-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Saying its better than the Sports Animal isnt saying much at all. But listening to a quick tempered meat head who likes to put his friends in comas...nah, Im good. Thanks though.

soonermike81
07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I've listened just a couple of times now; I usually listen to Traber and Al when I'm in town and love those guys even though Jim can be a jerk off sometimes. But honestly, I don't really feel like Teddy is listenable. He doesn't have a good radio voice in my opinion and doesn't keep me captivated. Everytime I hear him talk, I feel like turning stations. I'm actually surprised at how good Dusty sounds on the radio though; didn't think I would enjoy listening to him, but he is good. Haven't listened enough to know if they are knowledgeable enough in all sports, so I can't write them completely off just yet. But so far, b/c of Teddy's voice, I'll probably tune into the Animal more often when I'm around. JMO.

ou48A
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I've listened just a couple of times now; I usually listen to Traber and Al when I'm in town and love those guys even though Jim can be a jerk off sometimes. But honestly, I don't really feel like Teddy is listenable. He doesn't have a good radio voice in my opinion and doesn't keep me captivated. Everytime I hear him talk, I feel like turning stations. I'm actually surprised at how good Dusty sounds on the radio though; didn't think I would enjoy listening to him, but he is good. Haven't listened enough to know if they are knowledgeable enough in all sports, so I can't write them completely off just yet. But so far, b/c of Teddy's voice, I'll probably tune into the Animal more often when I'm around. JMO.

Try listening to the content, rather than the tone of voice?
If Al can make a career on local talk radio with his voice, Teddy’s voice won’t be a problem.

They talk about other sports but their specialty is football.
They clearly bring an insight to the sport that has been missing on our local air ways.

soonermike81
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Try listening to the content, rather than the tone of voice?
If Al can make a career on local talk radio with his voice, Teddy’s voice won’t be a problem.

They talk about other sports but their specialty is football.
They clearly bring an insight to the sport that has been missing on our local air ways.

I do listen to content, but if their expertise is confined to OU football... As much as I love OU, I want to listen to a wide range of topics. But like I said, I haven't listened enough to know how knowledgeable they are. And when I have listened to the Animal in the past, I never really felt like they weren't covering OU enough or were too heavy with osu talk.

As far as comparing Teddy to Al, it's not even a contest. Al's voice is extremely unique, and his personality accentuates his voice in my opinion. I can listen to Al all day; he's extremely entertaining. So far, Teddy seems a little dull to me. I'm thinking if can be paired up with someone else, the show would be better. Also, do we need two guys with probably a very similar competency of all sports, and heavy on OU sports. I would rather have somone be devil's advocate to Dusty, so we can have two perspectives. But again, if I listen to them more... maybe I'll be surprised.

ou48A
07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
I do listen to content, but if their expertise is confined to OU football... As much as I love OU, I want to listen to a wide range of topics. But like I said, I haven't listened enough to know how knowledgeable they are. And when I have listened to the Animal in the past, I never really felt like they weren't covering OU enough or were too heavy with osu talk.

As far as comparing Teddy to Al, it's not even a contest. Al's voice is extremely unique, and his personality accentuates his voice in my opinion. I can listen to Al all day; he's extremely entertaining. So far, Teddy seems a little dull to me. I'm thinking if can be paired up with someone else, the show would be better. Also, do we need two guys with probably a very similar competency of all sports, and heavy on OU sports. I would rather have somone be devil's advocate to Dusty, so we can have two perspectives. But again, if I listen to them more... maybe I'll be surprised.

We all have our personal likes and dislikes, and that’s ok.

Both Teddy and Dusty have at times been very critical of current OU players and even the OU football coaches and fans at times. But they do it out of wanting the program to be better. They seem to be straight shooters.

Their expertise is actually football, not just OU football. Together and along with many of their guest they are clearly able to convey more information about how the sport of football is played at the college and pro levels than any other talk show host or publication in Oklahoma. It helps them that they have Stoops and many recent former OU players as enthusiastic supporters of their show.
They have only been doing this for a few months……As they gain experience their knowledge will expand and they will be better able to talk about other football teams and other sports.

But Teddy and Dusty are able to discuss present day OU football in a way that very clearly cannot be found anywhere else.
I personally enjoy that far more than wasting my time hearing excessively worn out story’s about Al’s and Traber’s personal lives or about sports that I have little to no interest in.

If you like a Jerry Springer train wreak show a person might like Al for his type of entertainment
Beyond the Thunder I don’t see how most of the WWLS show host should ever expect anyone with a 3 digit IQ to ever take them as a serious source of sports news. In varying amounts the main WWLS show host live to stir the pot just to gin up callers. Then they wonder why they get so many dumb a$$ callers. With the WWLS show host there is actually very little original local substance beyond the Thunder, and the Thunder is their main focus now. Most of what they talk about has already been published someplace else.

Because of their uniqueness in this market this is why as an OU fan I find Teddy and Dusty so refreshing. As more OU fans learn about their show and as they hone their skills, their foot print will be much larger in the coming years.

If you’re and OU fan try and give them a chance by tuning into 3 or 4 pre and post-game shows this fall. Then turn it back to WWLS for about 15 minutes. You’ll still need to wade though some bad callers but I think most OU fans will notice the difference in the quality of substance.

dankrutka
07-28-2012, 04:06 PM
If you're listening for knowledge about a broad range of sports, and you listen to Jim and Al, then you know little about sports. Their lack of knowledge is astounding. They're totally incompetent, and don't attempt to keep up with things.

soonermike81
07-30-2012, 09:46 AM
If you're listening for knowledge about a broad range of sports, and you listen to Jim and Al, then you know little about sports. Their lack of knowledge is astounding. They're totally incompetent, and don't attempt to keep up with things.

Never said I listen to Al and Jim for their broad knowledge of sports. I said, "I want to listen to a wide range of topics." And I also said, "I haven't listened enough (to Dusty and Teddy) to know how knowledgeable they are." It just seems like having two former OU guys on the radio only gives us primarily OU talk, which isn't the worse thing in the world. But then again, I would rather have someone else in there with Dusty to give another perspective and possibly refute what he has to say. I think it'll help keep our fan base grounded a little bit; a lot of our fans are already delusional as is.