View Full Version : All Sports Stadium

Sonny_Crockett
07-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Anyone ever attend any 89ers games back in the day? I grew up at the old ball park at the fair grounds which is now a parking lit for the state fair. I really miss that place. Its been 15 years since we've seen the 89ers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathyandjohn/1744735833/lightbox/

Snowman
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Missing it is clearly absence makes things fonder, bricktown ballpark is better in so many ways. I went to some games there as a kid.

Matt
07-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Best username/avatar combo ever.

Ever.

Sonny_Crockett
07-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Best username/avatar combo ever.

Ever.

Thanks.

I prefer All Sports Stadium for nostalgia purposes plus they had the Marlboro man in Left Field. For years it hosted the Big 8 baseball tournament and the Sooner Athletic Conference tournament as well.

Bellaboo
07-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I went to All Sports for years. First game was about 1962 that I went as a kid. In all honesty, it totally sucks compared to the brick. Glad it's gone.

Oil Capital
07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I attended 89ers games at One Sport Stadium. I cannot imagine why anyone would miss it, especially when compared to the Brick.

SoonerDave
07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Anyone ever attend any 89ers games back in the day? I grew up at the old ball park at the fair grounds which is now a parking lit for the state fair. I really miss that place. Its been 15 years since we've seen the 89ers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathyandjohn/1744735833/lightbox/

Oh, yes, spun away many a summer evening as a teenager at One Sports Stadium watching the oft-hapless 89ers go through their paces. It was a surprisingly good place to girl-watch :), only problem was none of them watched back :(

I remembered the first inklings of them wanting to build a new stadium downtown, and I thought it was a *great* idea even then. All-Sports was a nice place in its day, but it had outlived its usefulness by about ten years by the time the Brick was built. I remember Harry Valentine, the 89ers old owner, often being one of the few in the stands, and the whole thing seeming to be a bit futile until the Hamptons took it over and made it a going enterprise. They were masters at understanding that you never really try to sell minor-league professional baseball, but the family entertainment value proposition. Go spend a night with the kids in the fresh air, fireworks, promotions, free hats, bats, t-shirts, gizmos, trinkets, you name it, and it drew people in.

Also remember the great Big 8 baseball tournaments there. Remember before OSU took hold and OU was really consistently great under Enos Semore; some great teams went through there. Also remember one year we watched baseball all day; stopped between games to walk over to the Bonanza steak house for supper, then walked back for the evening session.

I recall the last effort to update All-Sports was when they put some "skybox" suites on the top, to the west of the (ahem) press box. Also remember when Mick Cornett, as a Ch 5 sports guy, nearly got booed out of the stadium when he ran on the field to interview an 89er who had just hit a championship-winning homerun, and folks thought his antics would get the run disqualified (it didn't).

Good memories, all, but man, the Brick is soooooo much better in every conceivable way its hard for me to miss ol' One Sport Stadium too much.

Just the facts
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
The two best things about All Sports for me was the view of downtown (it looked very impressive from the grass hill behind 3rd base) and the stadium was on the flight path for WRWA. For some reason I always liked seeing the AA jets flying overhead making the turn from DFW. I always thought the Brick would have been better if the outfield provided a view of downtown. With the new hotel under construction this probably won't be a big deal anymore.

ljbab728
07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I always thought the Brick would have been better if the outfield provided a view of downtown. With the new hotel under construction this probably won't be a big deal anymore.

The players in the outfield have a nice view of downtown.

Just the facts
07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
The players in the outfield have a nice view of downtown.

Can you see downtown from the field? I have only been on the field once but I don't remember the view (I was too busy running from SpongeBob).

QLesHTi5d-Y

Soonerus
07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Great view of downtown from All Sports Stadium...somewhat ashamedly I admit I had a Suite at All Sports Stadium...

Sonny_Crockett
07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Bricktown is nicer by all means but I prefer All Sports Stadium. I only wish they were still the 89ers instead of the Redhawks. If I owned the team, the first thing I'd do is rename the team and bring back the old uniforms from the 90's and put the Marlboro Man back in Left Field where belongs.

Laramie
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
The old ballpark or dugout called All Sports Stadium was really rocking in its day. The Bricktown Ballpark is a much better facility; among the best in minor league baseball--right up there with Memphis' AutoZone Park & Harbor Park in Norfolk, VA.

Memphis AutoZone Park: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=memphis+autozone+park&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=569&wrapid=tlif134378068020910&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=5HgYUKiNPIL49QT4y4CIDw

Norfolk Harbor Park: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=memphis+autozone+park&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=569&wrapid=tlif134378068020910&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=5HgYUKiNPIL49QT4y4CIDw#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Norfolk+Harbor+Park&oq=Norfolk+Harbor+Park&gs_l=img.12..0i24j0i5i24.16423.29640.0.32838.21.15 .1.5.6.0.122.1362.12j3.15.0...0.0...1c.ohccZrws4RM&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=87d691c80a1b6c0a&biw=1024&bih=569

I do recall an announced crowd of 18,000 at All Sports Stadium on one occasion. We reached capacity of 13,000 plus at the Brick a number of times. Remember Charlie 89er and his shotgun? That thing sounded like a canon when it went off; and who could forget the old man that went around the stadium selling and shouting 'beer!'

Laramie
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Memories, All Sports Stadium, Oklahoma City: http://www.minorleagueballparks.com/alls_ok.html