View Full Version : Oklahoma City 2012: Visitors and Newcomers Guide

okcpulse
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
For the last several years, I had been working on a book that would serve visitors and those relocating to Oklahoma City. Finally, I got it published as an eBook in April. After revisions to the book were posted at the end of May, I am proud to announce that the book is available for purchase as an eBook on the Barnes and Noble Nook and the iBook store for the iPad or iPhone.

I originally desired to have this published in print, however unexpected budget constraints and other issues that came up ultimately led to my decision to publish as an eBook. At least it saves a few trees, right?

Putting together the book was not an easy task. Revisions were made several times because of changes in Oklahoma City's dynamic over the last few years. I wanted to make sure the best information was available to the reader, and that the material would be both helpful for people visiting or moving to OKC.

For visitors, I gave a brief history of our city and a general overview of what we have to offer. I then went into detail and organized the tour by different parts of the city. Attractions, musems, districts, dining and lodging are covered of course and I gave a brief history of some of Oklahoma City's most long-standing attractions. Included as well is information on Oklahoma's wineries and recommended day trips.

For those relocating, I included a brief overview of the state's history, general information on getting started after you move to OKC, as well as schools, utilities, supermarkets, banks and medical facilites. Color-coded transportation maps and additional illustrated maps are avaiable. Feedback is welcomed and I hope you find this book to be helpful. It will be updated once every two years as Oklahoma City changes, and I know the images are dated (they were taken by a friend of mine on 2009), but I hope to change that with the next edition.

Nook Book
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/oklahoma-city-2012-chris-benkendorf/1111816096

iBook
http://itunes.apple.com/au/book/oklahoma-city-2012/id520274587?mt=11

CaptDave
07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
This is a great idea. I also think publishing as an ebook will benefit you in the long run. It is something new and indicative of a city that embraces technology - a place that should attract young, well educated people to relocate or remain in OKC. I hope you are very successful with this project.

LocoAko
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Very nice! Are there any plans to make it available on Kindle? I'd love to buy it but only have a Kindle.

okcpulse
07-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, I am currently working to try and get it on the Kindle. Kindle requires a different format than iBook and the Nook.

adaniel
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
This is great!

You should contact the Chamber of Commerce or OKC Realtors Association about buying some copies to distribute to relocating families. I think this would be a really useful tool for people moving to OKC.

okcpulse
07-27-2012, 10:34 PM
This is great!

You should contact the Chamber of Commerce or OKC Realtors Association about buying some copies to distribute to relocating families. I think this would be a really useful tool for people moving to OKC.

I will be doing exactly that this weekend. Thanks adaniel!