View Full Version : When people are idiots!

bucktalk
07-19-2012, 05:53 AM
There are occasions when I read/hear people doing things that makes me think they must be idiots!!! Examples?
1. Throwing out a lit cigarette out a car window during a drought.
2. Parents 'forgetting' their kids are in the car either during a blazin hot day or when the parent went to work and 'forgot' their kid was in the car.
3. People thinking they'll win an argument over politics or religion.

Have others???

HewenttoJared
07-19-2012, 06:14 AM
The argument from personal incredulity is the one that typically amuses me the most.

bucktalk
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
There are occasions when I read/hear people doing things that makes me think they must be idiots!!! Examples?
2. Parents 'forgetting' their kids are in the car either during a blazin hot day or when the parent went to work and 'forgot' their kid was in the car.

Have others???

When people refuse to yield when coming onto the highway!
People who know the left lane ends but continue to drive in the left lane then cut in line!

UncleCyrus
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I am reminded of the three times in two weeks I have been almost run off the road by people talking and texting while driving work vehicles. I mean, do they not remember that the company name and phone number is right on the side of the truck? And yes, when I am off the highway, I do call.

UncleCyrus
07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
People who know the left lane ends but continue to drive in the left lane then cut in line!

Or when they stop on the 6th street exit lane to wait for a place to cut in on I-235. Let me off the darn highway already!

UncleCyrus
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Have others???

I can't even imagine any situation that would make me forget my child was in the car. That makes me ill as well as wonder about the parent's attention to the child in other situations.

Dubya61
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM

... or when they stop in the entrance ramp and THEN look to see if it's clear to enter ... 'cause it's much easier to merge safely at 25 MPH than the speed limit?!?!?

venture
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM
... or when they stop in the entrance ramp and THEN look to see if it's clear to enter ... 'cause it's much easier to merge safely at 25 MPH than the speed limit?!?!?

Mmmhmm. If people were actually smart and visually planned for the speed of traffic they are merging in to, chances are there would be no need to stop on the entrance ramp. However then you have people that want to do 35-40 mph on a long entrance ramp (say Hwy 9 to I-35 NB) when they could easily be up to 60 mph and able to ease into traffic without issue.

Then of course you have those in the right lane, all by themselves with no one in the left lane for a mile, that refuse to get over into the left lane and make a long line of entering traffic stop. Usually I forgive them if they are exiting at the very next exit, otherwise they earn a spot in my "dumbass book". :-P

Don't even get me started on people that tailgate, never use a turn signal, feel they must do 20 over the limit, stop well past the solid white line at a light, turn into the wrong lane, cross over the cross traffic's turning lane when making a left turn (it isn't that hard to make a left turn into the left lane without crossing), etc etc etc.

bucktalk
07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
People who purposely refuse to park between the white lines in a parking space but instead chose to straddle the white line so their new car won't get dinged. Grrrrrr.....

stick47
07-19-2012, 01:58 PM
People aren't idiots IMO. Lazy, yes. Thoughtless, definitely. Here's my two votes for thoughtless driving practices:

People who come to a stop in the left turn lane and leave 15-20 feet between their car and the one in front. Someone didn't think a car behind them might want to get into that lane also.

Also it will improve traffic flow if you close up the spacing when you're following another car on the road. Allow a safe distance but not double the safe distance. It's really thoughtless not to drive in this manner since not doing so makes it harder for other cars to cross or enter the roadway.

Larry OKC
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Folks that make up their own parking spaces...especially in areas that are clearly marked as NOT a parking space (red curb fire lanes, handicap spaces (without handicap insignia), striped pavement...one day I saw a car very carefully parked precisely in the striped area between 2 handicapped spaces (the area that allows for wheelchair lift access etc)

People that turn right from a left hand turn lane (and vise-versa)

OKCisOK4me
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
People thinking that just because they have a handicapped tag hanging from their rearview mirror, that they can drive any damn way they please.

Larry OKC
07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
People thinking that just because they have a handicapped tag hanging from their rearview mirror, that they can drive any damn way they please.
LOL Although not illegal (as far as I know), they shouldn't be driving while the tag is hanging from the mirror (it even says so on the tag)...as it obstructs the field of vision among other things

MDot
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Made me laugh.