View Full Version : Raising Cane's

Pages : [1] 2 3

metro
10-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Eatery plans Norman site

By Ja'Rena Lunsford
The Oklahoman

Baton Rouge, La.-based Raising Cane's did not allow Hurricane Katrina to deter its expansion efforts.
While reopening damaged locations, the chicken fingers restaurant continued with its plans for franchises, including Oklahoma's first location, scheduled to open Nov. 9 in east Norman.

Norman franchise owners Amanda and Chad Achord said the home of the Sooners was their first choice for business.

"We wanted to be in a big college town," Amanda Achord said.

College towns are the staple of Raising Cane's, marketing manager Juan Simoneaux said.

Founded in 1996 in Louisiana State University territory, Raising Cane's has more than 28 locations in college towns including Columbus, Ohio, and Fort Collins, Co.

Simoneaux said although LSU helped make Raising Cane's successful, there's no doubt the late-night restaurant can have the same experience in Norman.

"Even though we're based in Baton Rouge, it really does become a part of the community and the college culture," Simoneaux said.

College life is what drew the Achords to Raising Cane's. Amanda Achord said when the restaurant first opened, she and her husband were students at LSU and spent plenty of time hanging out at the chicken finger joint.

"It was very much a buzz on campus when it opened," she said.

The buzz never left her mind, and in 2003 she decided to become a franchisee, soon convincing her husband as well.

The Achords started out as shift managers at two locations in Baton Rouge and worked their way through the company's Pillar Program, which is designed to help prospective franchisees.

Simoneaux said Raising Cane's simple concept -- chicken fingers, Texas toast, cole slaw, fries and Cane's sauce -- allows the company to have quality product and quality atmosphere.

"One of the things we tell people is that we sell chicken, but the unique thing about Raising Cane's is the culture," Simoneaux said.

Amanda Achord said Norman's culture will be an important part of the new location, which will consist of historic photos of the city and OU memorabilia. Chad Achord said he would like to eventually open locations in west Norman and Oklahoma City.

"The sky's the limit and that's the good thing about this company," he said.

Pete
10-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I wonder what they mean by 'East Norman'?

If it's opening Nov. 9th, they must almost be done with construction... Why not give an exact address?

Here's a few photos from their website (www.raisingcanes.com) -- looks like a fast-food place:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/canes1.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/canes2.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/canes3.jpg

metro
10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Norman is divided in two, east and west, east Norman is the side east of I-35, west is opposite. Basically the east side is the campus side, the west is the suburban side of Norman

Pete
10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
If they are talking about east of I-35, then my money is on Lindsey Street.

John
10-13-2005, 01:35 PM
It is at 12th and Alameda, in the parking lot of the old IGA, now an Ace Hardware and Dollar Tree.

The shell is done, just interior/landscaping work remains.

cad_poke
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Noticed last night that dirt work had started on the corner in front of Target and after checking the Direct Development web site, it looks like it's going to be a Raising Cane's. Guess it's something we don't already have but not excited for another fast food place.

Easy180
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
19th definitely has burgers and chicken covered

progressiveboy
01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Noticed last night that dirt work had started on the corner in front of Target and after checking the Direct Development web site, it looks like it's going to be a Raising Cane's. Guess it's something we don't already have but not excited for another fast food place. There is a location in Norman. My understanding it has been there for about 3-4 years? They are opening several locations in DFW as well.

kevinpate
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
There is a location in Norman. My understanding it has been there for about 3-4 years? They are opening several locations in DFW as well.

My youngest, now 19, is passionate about Cain's sauce but prefers the chicken from Chicken Express to Cain's or Chik Filet. His chicken fixes will generally require two stops by him. Me, I prefer his momma's chicken.

Jesseda
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
its is getting crazy.. what fast food place is not off of 19th yet!!

catch22
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM

In N Out Burger....

kawititnow
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah I'm not that crazy about Raising Cane's... It's OK, but I'll definitely go to Chicken Express before I go to Cane's.

AAC2005
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Steak 'n' Shake...

Jersey Boss
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jesseda

White Castle/Krystal's

venture
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
There is a location in Norman. My understanding it has been there for about 3-4 years? They are opening several locations in DFW as well.

Try probably closer to 6 or 7 if not more at 12th and Alameda.

I agree with others that Chicken Express is probably a bit better, but Cane's is still good. I don't really care for their fries though, but no biggy there. Their sauce is pretty good though.

bbhill
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Cane's sauce is good, but their chicken is meh at best. What really turns me off is their coupon club. Stuff like "free cup of sauce with purchase of meal between 2 and 6pm on a certain date" or "free chicken finger with purchase of $50 of food May 25 from 8pm to close". Also, I hate their fries. Coleslaw is good. I've just summed up the entire menu.

metro
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I love Raising Canes but yeah their policies are nuts and they are sauce nazis.

Easy180
05-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Had it tonight for the first time and I was definitely impressed with the chicken and their sauce

GoOKC1991
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.raisingcanes.com/locations/results.php?state=OK

It's going in next to Chick-Fil-A

jn1780
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.raisingcanes.com/locations/results.php?state=OK

It's going in next to Chick-Fil-A

I wonder how long before they decide to build a stand alone store on this side of town?

RealEstateCop1
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Is it any good?

ou48A
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Is it any good?

Their restaurant in east Norman is good…. but it’s a bit pricey for chicken IMHO.
It also has a very hot and blinding west sun that keeps me from ever going during the summer.
They do offer 2 for the price of one coupons at times.

Stew
06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Is it any good?

I've only had it in Louisiana and it was pretty awesome.

Easy180
06-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Great fresh chicken and their sauce is pretty yummy...They only do chicken fingers but they damn sure do it well

metro
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I wonder how long before they decide to build a stand alone store on this side of town?

They're going in Edmond as we speak, they bought out the Steak N Shake on 2nd and converting it to Raising Canes.

jbkrems
06-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Steak N Shake closed ??? WOW !

RadicalModerate
06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
So, how do Cain's Chicken Fingers compare to, say,
Popeye's Authentic Louisana Style Chicken?
Or KFC's Grilled?
Or Walmart's Rotiscerre?
Or Home-Cooked Pan-Seared Spatchcocked/Butterflied Mediterranean Polish/Italianesque?
Favorably I would bet.

unless, of course, it's from an overpriced, non-permitted, Food Truck not owned by the most recent scofflaw in the restaurant business on the rebound . . . so has Freddie's Frozen Custard considered a "WaffleChickenBurger" to go with their shoestring fries? Maybe "Quiche-On-A-Stick"?

sorry . . . somehow i just got caught up in the "Manliest" as compared to "Fattest" and "Least Exercising" reputation of OKC

as a placebo allow me to offer this . . .

RRdWntqCLwg

again, i apologize, please find it in your heart to forgive.

Debzkidz
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
They're going in Edmond as we speak, they bought out the Steak N Shake on 2nd and converting it to Raising Canes.

I wondered what was going on there. I drove by a couple of weeks ago and noticed Steak and Shake was gone, then drove by again yesterday and could tell they were already doing something with the building.

Larry OKC
06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Saw one in Moore the other day...in a bunch of new development where the Target, Starbucks and a slew of other places are at

BradR
06-22-2012, 09:29 AM
I thought they were pretty good, kind of chicken express-ish without the good corn nuggets (unless I missed them) but ok for fast food.

BAreteH
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm craving corn nuggets now. I have never understood the hype behind Cane's. Several of my friends really like the chicken but it's nothing special in my opinion. To each his or her own though.

Debzkidz
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I was in Quail Springs Mall today and noticed Raising Canes in opening a location inside the mall. It's were Chick-fil-a used to be. I didn't even realize Chick-fil-a was gone. I don't go to that mall often, but I was in there last week and walked by the food court and didn't even notice this. Had to go back today, and saw the banner. It looks like they are going in the space where Chick-fil-a as as well as the space next to it.

GoOKC1991
07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Raising Cane's is going next door, but Chick-Fil-A is NOT closed

From their Facebook page...

Chick-fil-A at Quail Springs Mall
9 hours ago near Oklahoma City via mobile
The cows are hard at work remodeling the store. If all goes well, we will reopen on Thursday. Thank you for your patience.
Like · · Share
3 people like this.

BradR
07-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I'd take chikfila any day over raisin canes

Larry OKC
07-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Even if Chick-fil-A was gone from inside the mall, didn't they open a stand alone location in front of the Target Super Center?

MDot
07-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Even if Chick-fil-A was gone from inside the mall, didn't they open a stand alone location in front of the Target Super Center?

Yep, they did.

Debzkidz
07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Well, both the Chick Fil A and the spot next door area boarded up with one of those big mall wall things they use when a store is closed or being built and the Raising Canes banner is hanging across part of it. Nothing saying anything about Chick Fil A being remodeled, so it appears to be gone. No way anyone would know by looking at it that they were just remodeling.

GoOKC1991
07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, both the Chick Fil A and the spot next door area boarded up with one of those big mall wall things they use when a store is closed or being built and the Raising Canes banner is hanging across part of it. Nothing saying anything about Chick Fil A being remodeled, so it appears to be gone. No way anyone would know by looking at it that they were just remodeling.

They also put those things up when a store is being remodeled, the store's own facebook page wouldn't say it's being remodeled if it wasn't...

Also, a couple weeks ago Raising Cane's had a rep there in front of the spot next to Chick-Fil-A (Where it is going) and he said how interesting it was going to be having two chicken places next to each other...

Chick-Fil-A is NOT gone....

Debzkidz
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
They also put those things up when a store is being remodeled, the store's own facebook page wouldn't say it's being remodeled if it wasn't...

Also, a couple weeks ago Raising Cane's had a rep there in front of the spot next to Chick-Fil-A (Where it is going) and he said how interesting it was going to be having two chicken places next to each other...

Chick-Fil-A is NOT gone....
I'm not trying to say that you are wrong. Just trying to explain why I was wrong. All I was trying to say was that it is easy for people to mistake it for being closed, because of the way it's set up. Just that it APPEARS to be closed. No signs saying otherwise, so it's easy for people to come to the incorrect conclusion that the store is closed. That's all.

Larry OKC
07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Agree, if they are going to post it on their facebook page, they should put some effort at the physical location as well to let folks know...not everyone uses those social media outlets yet everyone that might be wanting to eat there while they are there need to know

jn1780
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Their probably not worried about it since they have a external location now on Penn and they will be closed for only 2 weeks.

Larry OKC
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Maybe so, but it is stupid not to let folks know what is going on...

Jon27
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not trying to say that you are wrong. Just trying to explain why I was wrong. All I was trying to say was that it is easy for people to mistake it for being closed, because of the way it's set up. Just that it APPEARS to be closed. No signs saying otherwise, so it's easy for people to come to the incorrect conclusion that the store is closed. That's all.

The funny thing about this, we were at Quail a few weeks ago before Chiiick-Fil-A started the remodel. A couple of reps for Raising Cane's were out giving job applications. They were trying to hide the drinks from Chick-Fil-A they both had behind their podium. It was pretty funny!

metro
07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Maybe so, but it is stupid not to let folks know what is going on...

It's a MALL location. It's not like people intentionally drive to the mall to eat there, especially when there is a stand alone across the street. Pretty sure they do just fine without the notification. They rely on random mall foot traffic, not destination eaters.

rezgirl
06-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I'd take chikfila any day over raisin canes

I agree... Chick-fil-A is a lot better! We tried Raising Canes and not as good. :-(

RadicalModerate
06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I've eaten at Raising Caine's twice and really liked it both times. (I got the three strips with fries). Their dipping sauce is especially good. Still, I think $7.00 is just a bit "spendy" for what you get. I don't think I've ever had Chick-fil-A's comparable strips (or dipping sauce) but I'll bet they are good too. What do you have to pay for that at C-f-A? This, to me, would be a major factor in deciding which place is "better" overall.

Hawk405359
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I agree... Chick-fil-A is a lot better! We tried Raising Canes and not as good. :-(

I'm the exact opposite, I'm not a big fan of Chik-fil-a. It's better than the average fast food place, but it's never anything I set out to buy if there are any other options.

Raising Canes is great to me though, I love their sauce and their chicken is really good.

HangryHippo
06-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I love both. When I want a chicken sandwich, I go to Chick Fil A. When I want chicken strips, I go to Raising Cane's. And their sauce... My god it's good.

RadicalModerate
06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
On a recipe/cooking board I used to frequent, I once extolled the virtues of Arby's Horsey Sauce.
The lady (a virtual friend) who ran the board commented back something along the lines of:
"So . . . A 'roast beef' sandwich as a 'carrier'or 'platform' for the sauce. Interesting concept."

I think Raising Cain's has elevated the concept to include what used to be called "chicken fingers."

(c/o Mitch Hedberg: "I don't want chicken fingers . . . I want chicken thumbs. They have to be accumulating somewhere . . .")

Dustin
06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
And their sauce... My god it's good.

The sauce is heavenly... Mmmmm.

Also, Raising Canes > Chik-Fil-A

Hawk405359
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll get the chicken sandwich at Canes, but one thing Chik-Fil-A does well is make their chicken consistently moist. Never had a dry piece there, but I have at Canes. But enough of that sauce will make me overlook any dryness, tbh.

MadMonk
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I tried Raising Cane's last weekend, and while the sauce is definitely good, the chicken strips were just okay. I found myself regretting not getting Chik-Fil-A. If I could get the Chik-Fil-A sandwich with the Raising Cane's sauce, that would be the best of both worlds. ;)

Roger S
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
If I could get the Chik-Fil-A sandwich with the Raising Cane's sauce, that would be the best of both worlds. ;)

You could do that where they have locations near each other. Just go to Cane's and buy the sauces for $0.25 each.

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
You could do that where they have locations near each other. Just go to Cane's and buy the sauces for $0.25 each.

Good Suggestion!!!
yet word on the street has it that those angels with flaming swords, guarding the entrance from food--or sauces--purchased offsite are serious. witch angels? the ones at Chick-fil-A. on Sunday this isn't a problem because an unwillingness of the Chick-fil-A guy to pay overtime.

I'm not really sure if that is accurate, but maybe The Lost Ogle knows . . . =)
"founder and publisher" indeed. more like flounder and oracle i would guess.
just kidding.

CaptDave
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I love both. When I want a chicken sandwich, I go to Chick Fil A. When I want chicken strips, I go to Raising Cane's. And their sauce... My god it's good.

The sauce is heavenly... Mmmmm.

Also, Raising Canes > Chik-Fil-A

The sauce is actually pretty easy to duplicate. Very similar to Zaxby's (east of the Mississippi mostly.) A quick Google search will yield the recipe.... :D

Larry OKC
06-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Good Suggestion!!!
yet word on the street has it that those angels with flaming swords, guarding the entrance from food--or sauces--purchased offsite are serious. witch angels? the ones at Chick-fil-A. on Sunday this isn't a problem because an unwillingness of the Chick-fil-A guy to pay overtime.

I'm not really sure if that is accurate, but maybe The Lost Ogle knows . . . =)
"founder and publisher" indeed. more like flounder and oracle i would guess.
just kidding.
You are joking, right? I worked in various fast food places including Wendys, McDonalds, Taco Bueno and a couple of others for over 15 years and all were all open on Sunday, yet overtime was virtually unheard of. i can't see that being the reason for them being closed on Sunday...

Rover
06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Like Hobby Lobby & Mardel's, it is a religious belief about the Sabbath being a day of rest. It isn't about overtime.

RadicalModerate
06-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Like Hobby Lobby & Mardel's, it is a religious belief about the Sabbath being a day of rest. It isn't about overtime.

I know that . . . but "honoring the Sabbath" would mean closing on Friday night and all day Saturday.

Rover
06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
No. 7th day for day of rest...unless you are Islamic or Jewish, which they aren't.

RadicalModerate
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Or Seventh Day Adventists . . . Or Jehovah's Witnesses . . . =)

I wonder if the people who work for the places that close down on Sunday sit at home without turning on the TV, radio, computer, or electricity so that nobody else is deprived of their day of rest.