View Full Version : Oklahoma's backward liquor laws.

jett713
07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this. But I would be really PO'd if I was cut off after three or four drinks. I go to the bar to unwind and get tipsy. It's no wonder the rest of the country laughs at us for our outdated liquor laws.

http://newsok.com/bricktown-bar-managers-arrested-for-patrons-actions/article/3690882

and the manager being arrested for one woman's lack of underwear. That is just being a bit prudish IMHO. But you go to the bar to drink and have a good time. Being cut off like that is going to ruin a lot of bars and people won't come back. I know i wouldn't. Something has to be done about this or am I the only one that thinks so?

SSEiYah
07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I liked the lost ogle post on this article.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/07/05/five-things-not-to-do-when-you-let-it-all-hang-out-at-rok-bar/

I think the bartender should have some responsibility, but its not like he has the ability to run a breathalyzer on everyone, some people appear sober and are very drunk. (not bragging here) but if I have food in my stomach, I can drink 8-10 drinks in a couple hours and still be coherent and appear "not drunk".

If someone is stumbling around, and out of control, yes they should be cut off.

BBatesokc
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Its called responsible service. Laws against public drunkenness inside a bar are nothing new and not unique to Oklahoma and certainly are not 'backwards.'

I bartended for many years and even taught bartending at night.

What's backwards is, in this day and age being of the mind its socially acceptable or even expected that you should be allowed to go into a bar and get hammered off your ass. With the thousands of people that are killed by drunk (or even buzzed) drivers, I'm thankful local law enforcement takes this seriously.

You wanna get hammered, stay home and drink.

Also, the bartender is often held responsible (along with the manager) for over-serving. However, in larger establishments or in cases where waitstaff is utilized, often individual bartenders have no idea how many drinks a patron has had - so the manager is held responsible.

Determining drunkenness doesn't require a breathalyzer. A good bartender knows if he's served someone as much as they should - regardless how the patron claims they feel.

jett713
07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I know all about "responsible service" and what it is. I didn't say anything about getting hammered. I said get a little "tipsy". What I'm talking about is cutting someone off after three or four alcoholic drinks or 6,7 beers. Last Time I checked people go to the bar to drink and be social. I can drink 8-12 beers and still be fine not bragging or anything. But I would be pissed If I had 6 beers and they said i couldn't have another.

ljbab728
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I know all about "responsible service" and what it is. I didn't say anything about getting hammered. I said get a little "tipsy". What I'm talking about is cutting someone off after three or four alcoholic drinks or 6,7 beers. Last Time I checked people go to the bar to drink and be social. I can drink 8-12 beers and still be fine not bragging or anything. But I would be pissed If I had 6 beers and they said i couldn't have another.

jett, there is no set number of beers or drinks that apply in this policy. It is subjective and judgement has to be used. It the management thought you were impared after 6 beers I think they have every right to curtail your service and I would support that. Many people have much different tolerances for alcohol and while you may be fine after 6 beers, the 90 pound girl next to you might be ready to fall on the floor.

BBatesokc
07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
jett, there is no set number of beers or drinks that apply in this policy. It is subjective and judgement has to be used. It the management thought you were impared after 6 beers I think they have every right to curtail your service and I would support that. Many people have much different tolerances for alcohol and while you may be fine after 6 beers, the 90 pound girl next to you might be ready to fall on the floor.

Agreed. I think Jett713 was reading something that was not stated. As a bartender I was legally responsible for your actions in many cases after serving you. That may mean 1 drink or it mat mean a dozen.

'How many drinks' is subjective. Depends on the type of drink - beer, highball, cocktail, shot, wine etc. Each has its own unique amount of alcohol.

Additionally, it doesn't matter in the slightest how you 'feel' when it comes to impairment. Many people claim to feel fine but they'd still fail a breathalyzer and THAT is the legal line for everyone involved. There is really no truth in being 'high tolerance' for alcohol when it comes to impairment. Its simply math based on roughly your size, physical condition and amount of alcohol consumed over a period of time. Same goes for sobering up - alcohol only leaves your body at a certain rate and there is nothing you can do to aid that but wait.

Also, for many people, once you feel 'tipsy' its too late - you're legally drunk and your motor skills and judgement just went out the window.

Jesseda
07-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Its called responsible service. Laws against public drunkenness inside a bar are nothing new and not unique to Oklahoma and certainly are not 'backwards.'

I bartended for many years and even taught bartending at night.

What's backwards is, in this day and age being of the mind its socially acceptable or even expected that you should be allowed to go into a bar and get hammered off your ass. With the thousands of people that are killed by drunk (or even buzzed) drivers, I'm thankful local law enforcement takes this seriously.

You wanna get hammered, stay home and drink.

Also, the bartender is often held responsible (along with the manager) for over-serving. However, in larger establishments or in cases where waitstaff is utilized, often individual bartenders have no idea how many drinks a patron has had - so the manager is held responsible.

Determining drunkenness doesn't require a breathalyzer. A good bartender knows if he's served someone as much as they should - regardless how the patron claims they feel.

Such a great response BBatesokc. I wish all bartenders cut people off after a couple. My brother and his fiance Died due to a drunk driver, its one thing to go out and have a couple drinks to unwind its another to go out and get tipsy-wasted and get behind a wheel. If oklahoma is backwards because they are cutting people off at a couple drinks then so be it, I dont mind at all, actually I love it that I live in a Backwards drinking law state

Bunty
07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Maybe you better get a breathalyzer to help you determine if you're safe to drive. That's what I do. If the reading registers higher than .4, I don't consider myself safe enough to drive and put off driving for a while. As for me, I know I wouldn't be safe to drive after 8-12 beers and would have to wait until well after the bars close before driving home. If I have to drive, I never have as much as 8-12 beers in one night. People who think they're fine to drive have checked out to levels as high as .15 or higher by the police.

BoulderSooner
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
who was talking about driving???

Jesseda
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
who was talking about driving???
Sorry I guess reading the story on the link about being served liquor to people in bars and them getting tore up then leaving has nothing to do with them possibly driving home intoxicated, sorry for the mistake

BoulderSooner
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry I guess reading the story on the link about being served liquor to people in bars and them getting tore up then leaving has nothing to do with them possibly driving home intoxicated, sorry for the mistake

yes because that is how we make laws and enforce things as a society ...

x person might drive later so they can't have another drink now ...

y person might kill someone later so we better not sell them a gun or a knife for that matter

Jesseda
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
yes because that is how we make laws and enforce things as a society ...

x person might drive later so they can't have another drink now ...

y person might kill someone later so we better not sell them a gun or a knife for that matter

WOW and I was the one who was leading away from the intoxicated liquor story? lol

bandnerd
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
There's no way to know what a person's limit is. Everyone metabolizes alcohol at different rates, and you can't tell that by looking at someone. It also depends on what you're drinking. Most can have a lot more Bud Light than Long Island Iced Teas, because the alcohol content is so different. I would say someone who has had three Bud Lights over the course of a few hours is totally fine to drive...the person drinking three LIT's in the same amount of time likely wouldn't be. The bartender unfortunately has to make that call, and sometimes they make the wrong one.

Really, though, the only alcohol laws in this state that are really backward are the no sales on Sundays, holidays, and election days (did they change that one?) laws.

RadicalModerate
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
There's no way to know what a person's limit is. Everyone metabolizes alcohol at different rates, and you can't tell that by looking at someone. It also depends on what you're drinking. Most can have a lot more Bud Light than Long Island Iced Teas, because the alcohol content is so different. I would say someone who has had three Bud Lights over the course of a few hours is totally fine to drive...the person drinking three LIT's in the same amount of time likely wouldn't be. The bartender unfortunately has to make that call, and sometimes they make the wrong one.

Really, though, the only alcohol laws in this state that are really backward are the no sales on Sundays, holidays, and election days (did they change that one?) laws.

Excellent observations.
(even for a musical instructor person =)
No kidding.

So . . . How does all of this fit with "Open Carry" as compared to "Concealed Carry" within this paradigm . . .?
(vis-a-vis/spec. ref.) personal intentions to "do the right thing"--not to be confused with "the left thing")

I once was a bartender, empowered by the club owner to use the pistol stashed under the bar. I only pulled it out once. And had every intention of using it. Thank [goodness] the asshole (suited Oil-Field Trash) banging his "girlfriend's" head on the windshield of his car after I extended the opportunity for both of them to exit the premises pulled a knife on me. I returned to my station, grabbed the pistol, and went back outside. Thankfully, the dust and gravel he sprayed while making his hasty exit from the parking lot still hung in the air. Instead of the alternative. =)

Sorry . . . That was Off-Topic:
Oklahoma should consider adjusting the laws regarding "Spirits" and other intoxicating beverages to reflect the fact that this is now the 21st Century and if people don't know how to behave properly in a social setting they can Google the answer. I think that the Missouri and/or Wisconsin Models could provide workable input for consideration.

bandnerd
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Excellent observations.
(even for a musical instructor person =)
No kidding.

I'm not sure whether to be insulted or flattered ;)

Bunty
07-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Liquor stores can now open on election days. Getting rid of 3.2% beer needs to be done, also and allowing sales of wines in grocery stores.

bandnerd
07-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Liquor stores can now open on election days. Getting rid of 3.2% beer needs to be done, also and allowing sales of wines in grocery stores.

I wasn't sure about the election day thing, but if I could have put money on it, I would have said we could. I know Memorial Day, Independence, Christmas, T-Day, and all those other family-oriented holidays (where we need alcohol the most, most likely) are all out fo' sho'. It would be nice to have wine in grocery stores, and I have never understood that pesky 3.2 law.

Soonerman
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM

This

Midtowner
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
I guess it depends on the bar. I can't say that I've only seen a drunk at a bar piss his pants just once.

onthestrip
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Was a letter to the editor in todays Oklahoman from a wine broker complaining how this new ballot measure that wants wine sold in groceries in 50,000+ populated counties will hurt local businesses. While he may be right we wouldnt be in this position if the liquor lobby wouldnt be so resistant to any change. Oklahomans that want convenience will try any incremental steps that allow us to buy wine and strong beer at groceries and on Sundays, even if that means some quasi ridiculous law that allows counties with 50,000+ people to have it in their grocery stores.

Id be for allowing liquor stores to sell other items if they would back off there hard stance.

bandnerd
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I guess it depends on the bar. I can't say that I've only seen a drunk at a bar piss his pants just once.

God, that was pathetic.

Midtowner
07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Was a letter to the editor in todays Oklahoman from a wine broker complaining how this new ballot measure that wants wine sold in groceries in 50,000+ populated counties will hurt local businesses. While he may be right we wouldnt be in this position if the liquor lobby wouldnt be so resistant to any change. Oklahomans that want convenience will try any incremental steps that allow us to buy wine and strong beer at groceries and on Sundays, even if that means some quasi ridiculous law that allows counties with 50,000+ people to have it in their grocery stores.

Id be for allowing liquor stores to sell other items if they would back off there hard stance.

So Oklahomans are supposed to be conservative. Are we going to pick the winners and losers or let the free economy find the most efficient way for a product to find its way to the consumer?

ljbab728
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM

I read that letter and found it rather amusing. It started off by stating that there were misconceptions about what the proposed law would do and then provided absolutely nothing to show that anything was a misconception.

rcjunkie
07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

This is a definite 10 on the BS meter. After consuming this many beers, you are no longer "safely" capable of operating a vehicle and I pray that you don't.

bluedogok
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
It isn't just Oklahoma, all states have some weird laws and even stranger interpretations by the various regulatory agencies. A couple of years ago in Austin the TABC was arresting people inside bars for PI with no breathalyzer or blood tests. The Texas AG finally had to weigh in on it and stop this practice.

BoulderSooner
07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
This is a definite 10 on the BS meter. After consuming this many beers, you are no longer "safely" capable of operating a vehicle and I pray that you don't.

where did they say the could safely operate a vehicle??

okcpulse
07-12-2012, 06:37 AM
It's no wonder the rest of the country laughs at us for our outdated liquor laws.

The rest of the country isn't laughing. This is not an Oklahoma matter. This is a moron matter. Since July 1, Montgomery County's task force here in Texas have made 79 DUI arrests after a huge crack down following two seperate incidents that occurred in less than a week where intoxicated drivers entered I-45 driving the wrong direction and hitting another driver head-on. The first crash killed two people. The second crash, which occurred just three days later, killed three. In both cases, the driver survived.

Officers here in TX are using the same restrictions that officers in Bricktown are using, including arresting the manager of the bar/restaurant, which happened over the fourth of July holiday at a local Fox and Hound.

While I am all about going out on the town and enjoying a few drinks with friends, responsibility is always the number one priority. Driving with open containers is a huge problem down here, and it puts my young children's lives at risk everytime we are out on the freeway. It shouldn't be about antiquated liquor laws when it comes to stupidity.

Bunty
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I've met a driver coming at me in the wrong direction on I-35 once before at night north of OKC. Fortunately, the driver came at me while not in my lane. I wonder if people actually try to drive while so drunk they can't focus their eyes? If so, it's worse than moronic.

Oil Capital
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
nm

bluedogok
07-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I've met a driver coming at me in the wrong direction on I-35 once before at night north of OKC. Fortunately, the driver came at me while not in my lane. I wonder if people actually try to drive while so drunk they can't focus their eyes? If so, it's worse than moronic.
I had one around 10:00 PM heading to El Paso on I-10 about 20-30 miles west of Fort Stockton, Texas, pitch black and in the middle of nowhere. He evidently had been on the wrong side for awhile since there aren't too many ramps out there. A trucker in the eastbound lane was flashing his lights wildly and then I realized why, I just started slowing down and moved over to the shoulder and he went flying by me on the inside lane.

bsoreal
07-19-2012, 07:20 AM
There is something to be said for bar keeps that watch how they serve drinks. I thank them. Truly though OKC has some terrible liquor laws. Why can’t I even get beer and wine from the local Crest or Wal-Mart? Hell in Chicago, Dallas, NYC, and San Diego i can get hard liquor and spirits from the local CVS. The city does need to revisit these sorts of laws. I can imagine the tax revenue just from an increase in alcohol sales would be useful.

Hell, even DFW has begun the revisit some the of archaic laws they have in place.

BBatesokc
07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
There is something to be said for bar keeps that watch how they serve drinks. I thank them. Truly though OKC has some terrible liquor laws. Why can’t I even get beer and wine from the local Crest or Wal-Mart? Hell in Chicago, Dallas, NYC, and San Diego i can get hard liquor and spirits from the local CVS. The city does need to revisit these sorts of laws. I can imagine the tax revenue just from an increase in alcohol sales would be useful.

Hell, even DFW has begun the revisit some the of archaic laws they have in place.

I agree the laws about where alcohol is sold by the bottle should be changed but I don't think the winning argument is that 'it increases alcohol sales.' While it very well may - to me, that's a reason not to do it. I just find additional availability to be more convenient - but considering I have a bottle of vodka in the freezer from over a year ago, I don't think I find finding a liquor store that inconvenient though either.

Larry OKC
07-19-2012, 02:16 PM

It is my understanding (I don't drink) that it is a State issue, cities just have ordinances that align with the State law...so OKC can't change it until the State does (or allows cities do decide for themselves)

okcpulse
07-19-2012, 02:20 PM

The only state in the country where liquor laws are addressed on a municipal level and not state level is Nevada. In all other states, liquor laws are controlled at the state level but are micro-managed at the municipal or county level as long as the ordinances are within the boundaries of state law.

BBatesokc
07-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Who knew you can't sell beer to naked people!

OKCTalker
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
All that stood between him and an arrest was "clothing" the size of a cocktail napkin.