View Full Version : Blimp in OKC today?

old okie
07-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know why the blimp was flying over OKC this morning about 10:45? Couldn't quite make out the writing on it, but it appeared to be the Met Life one. Saw it flying over downtown then on up by Penn Square, where we were heading.

Just curious. A blimp isn't the 'usual' thing we see in OKC skies.

MikeLucky
07-07-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.metlife.com/about/advertising/MetLife-blimp/blimp-tracker/index.html

Looks like the Snoopy 2 was flying from San Francisco to the Quad Cities and unless they followed that straight line route, could have been what you saw yesterday.

RadicalModerate
07-07-2012, 11:45 PM
With all of the "eye-in-the-sky" "reports" of "Obese People in Oklahoma" how did anyone manage to spot a blimp?

Plutonic Panda
07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Well thats interesting. I don't suppose anyone took a picture of this blimp.

OKCTalker
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Saw it Friday mid-morning, high, northbound over the antenna farm.

old okie
07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Well thats interesting. I don't suppose anyone took a picture of this blimp.

Unfortunately, not; didn't have the camera with us. Had a hard time seeing if it was the Met Life or Goodyear, so it could have been the latter, but it looked like two words on the side, not just one. Have seen blimps in TX & NM before, and only once here a number of years ago. Think they are fascinating, but they are usually out for a special occasion.

old okie
07-08-2012, 09:19 PM
http://www.metlife.com/about/advertising/MetLife-blimp/blimp-tracker/index.html

Looks like the Snoopy 2 was flying from San Francisco to the Quad Cities and unless they followed that straight line route, could have been what you saw yesterday.

Looked at the url you provided; am thinking they flew the straight route and might not have been S2. It might have been the Goodyear one, as I really couldn't read the name from the distance while hubby was driving and watching the road.

old okie
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Saw it Friday mid-morning, high, northbound over the antenna farm.

Thank you for the additional confirmation. ;)

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, not; didn't have the camera with us. Had a hard time seeing if it was the Met Life or Goodyear, so it could have been the latter, but it looked like two words on the side, not just one. Have seen blimps in TX & NM before, and only once here a number of years ago. Think they are fascinating, but they are usually out for a special occasion. Well darn, I wish I would've seen it. That must of been pretty cool just seeing a blimp in OKC haha. :)

mmonroe
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
I remember watching a Hot Air balloon go up from the field across from the Goodyear Downtown where the Apartments are now, there use to be a large open field. I wish we had more things like this... balloons... blimps... News 9 Blimp has a ring to it.

RadicalModerate
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I think that OKC needs to lead the nation in the banning of blimps in our airspace.
Especially the ones with swastikas on their vertical tail fins.
(Not to mention Red Stars . . . regardless of the direction of their tail fins.)

F54rqDh2mWA

I know . . . I know . . . There's "bringin' down the room" . . . and "there's bringin' down the room" . . .
(It ain't like I ain't never seen Ron White fer cryin' out loud . . . =)