View Full Version : New York Times mentions Red Earth Festival

HKG_Flyer1
05-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Today's Sunday New York Times travel section contains two mentions in the "Datebook" section:

1) Art Basel, in Basel, Switzerland; and
2) Read Earth Native American Cultural Festival in Oklahoma City.

I like the crowd OKC is starting to run with.

NewPlains
05-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Indeed. It'll be even better when the native american cultural center is finished.

mranderson
05-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Today's Sunday New York Times travel section contains two mentions in the "Datebook" section:

1) Art Basel, in Basel, Switzerland; and
2) Read Earth Native American Cultural Festival in Oklahoma City.

I like the crowd OKC is starting to run with.

And that listing does nothing but reinforce the stereotype image that Oklahoma City is nothing but rednecks and sterotype Indians. I would rather see Opening Night or the arts festival listed as they are cosmoplitain.

chrisok
05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
And that listing does nothing but reinforce the stereotype image that Oklahoma City is nothing but rednecks and sterotype Indians. I would rather see Opening Night or the arts festival listed as they are cosmoplitain.

I couldn't disagree with your more. Red Earth has nothing to do with being a "redneck". This festival is one the best events this city, state, and region for that matter has going for it. People from all over the country and in some cases the world come to this. And this is one the few opportunities we have to show what Oklahoma City is all about. (Perhaps that Oklahoma City is something more than stereotypical "rednecks" and Indians.) Our Native American culture is one that we should embrace and promote. It sets us apart from other places.

While you may not consider Red Earth cosmopolitan (and depending on your perspective, I may agree with you), I can assure you that event is in a different stratosphere than the Arts Festival or Opening Night. Every major city has both of these in some manner or another, and you would be hard pressed to find that many out of state visitors that come to Oklahoma City specifically for those events.

metro
05-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I couldnt agree with you more chrisok. I think that is a stereotypical ignorant attitude more than anything. Being cosmopolitan consists of all walks of life and culture and what better to promote Native American culture than the worlds largest Pow Wow.

HKG_Flyer1
05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
I think the fact that the Red Earth Festival was mentioned in the first place is proof in and of itself that the event is viewed as a cosmopolitan "happening." Events that are mentioned in that section of the New York Times are typically selected based upon their prospective appeal to an audience with sophsticated tastes looking for something to do which is somewhat off the beaten track.

Sooner&RiceGrad
05-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I happen to be very good friends with the advance ticket sales director at Red Earth, and she was thrilled when I told her that Red Earth had been ranked among the best in the world.

Karried
05-24-2005, 08:35 PM
How exciting, national coverage, hey any press is good press! Do we have a link to the article?

Here is some info on the festival which I can't wait to attend....

http://www.redearth.org/v2/festival_set.htm

"It has been voted in the Top 100 events to see in the United States and is the largest cultural festival of its type in Oklahoma. The Red Earth Festival was conceived in 1986 by local businessmen, civic leaders and government officials in cooperation with leaders of Oklahoma Indian tribes. Their goals and dreams have been continued by the community, 26 volunteer planning committees and over one thousand volunteers, who devote their knowledge and time throughout the year."