View Full Version : OKC development slowing down?

dankrutka
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been a regular on this board and I can't remember the last time there was so little developmental news concerning n-going, new, or projected projects. Very few new developments recently. Current ones seem to be in a lull (e.g., Sandridge, Devon). There is even little news on on-going projects (e.g., aLoft). No one has commented on a suburban project in over a week! Maybe just less people are taking photographs, or maybe Devon helped generate hits on other threads...

Anyway, is development slowing or is it just the board?

OKCisOK4me
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm just waiting for Pete to upload all his pics. That should make a difference. But I do agree with what you're saying.

Pete
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm just waiting for Pete to upload all his pics. That should make a difference. But I do agree with what you're saying.

What pics are you waiting for? I uploaded dozens from my trip a couple of weeks ago.

There is tons and tons of development!! We have lots in construction phase, a bunch of stuff ready to start (11-story Bricktown hotel, big apartment complex in DD, East Bricktown project, almost all the MAPS 3 stuff and dozens of smaller ones) and lots being planned.

If I made a list of everything recently finished, just wrapping up, under construction, ready to begin construction and being planned it would be well over 100 projects of all types and sizes.

When I was in town, I spent a whole week running around trying to see everything and I didn't even fit it all in.

I've been working my arse off on other projects that are starting to slow down, so I'll turn my attention back to the board soon. Once I get the wiki stuff squared away, you'll be able to pull up every project under way, planned, or anything else. You just forget how much is going on because it's scattered all over the place.

Pete
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
This is just off the top of my head (will add more later):

Recently Finished
Complete renovation of the Myriad Gardens and Crystal Bridge
Skydance Bridge
Most of Devon Tower
Much of Project 180
City Place Condos
23rd Street Courts (with more construction underway)
The Cline
Hadden Hall
Packard Building
Seiber Apartments
Bike share program
Finish Line Tower
Devon Boathouse
The Hill Phase I
Scores of little projects in Midtown, 23rd Street, Auto Alley and 9th Street
Great streestscape and all types of projects in Film Row

Nearing Completion
Devon Tower: South entry; LED lighting; connection to Colcord; Illy Coffee Shop; connection to skybridge/Underground system; Vast Restaurant; 50th floor banquet facilities.
Colcord: Rooms be remodeled; new park between hotel & Devon; new, swank patio for Flint; finish outdoor sidewalk dining area.
Project 180: Robinson, Main, Hudson and Sheridan including streetscape; Colcord/Walker; lots of other things.
Braniff Building: New A Good Egg Group restaurant; new barber shop; ultra-slick restoration with 2 modern facades.
Sandridge Tower: Finishing complete gut & remodel of each floor; massive metal canopy; huge plaza with extensive landscaping.
Chesapeake Arena: massive addition, improvements and new SW entry.
I-40: still wrapping up the east and west ends.
Level Apartments; Native Roots grocery and proposed restaurant.
18th Street Studios
1212 N. Walker
Aloft Hotel with multiple bars and restaurants
Dowell Center
OIPA Headquarters

Just Starting
SandRidge Amenities building; multiple restaurants
Guardian Building (north of Packard) plus converted alley way / mixed use
Complete revamp of Kerr Park
Bicentennial Park, tons of Project 180 work
Lots more in Midtown and 23rd Street
Sherman Ironworks renovation
11-story Bricktown Hotel complex
Mayfair Apartments (Midtown Renaissance)
430 Lofts (Midtown Renaissance)
SandRidge youth pavilion and zip line on OK River
Hart Building, screening room / cafe and other projects on Film Row
Several projects in Plaza District

Ready to Go
Replacement for Hale Photo building
House of Bedlam in Bricktown
Kevin Durant Restaurant
Carnegie Centre Apartments
OU, UCO Boathouses
Osler Hotel Conversion
The Edge in Midtown
Maywood Apartments
Calvary Church renovation
Pedestrian areas between Devon, Oklahoma & Corporate Towers
Downtown parking on Main Street with possible offices above
Massive remodel and parking expansion at the Century Center
Convention Center / CC Hotel
Central Park Phase I
First MAPS 3 boathouse row improvements
10th & Broadway properties
OKC Arts Council (13th & Broadway)
The last round of funded Project 180 work

Further Down the Line
OKC Boulevard
American Indian Cultural Center and Museum
New SandRidge Tower
Expansion / renovation with retail of Broadway / Kerr parking garage
Maywood Apartments Phase II
The Hill Phase II & III
Stage Center
Central Park Phase II
Whitewater facility, grandstand, other boathouse row improvements
Mystery tower(s)
Rick McCown DD project behind Maywood Lofts
Finish Project 180
Sidewalk /trail project
Streetcar!!!
Multi-modal transit center

Spartan
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I don't think we're lacking in new announcements, honestly every week there are a few new developments I learn about on here, mostly through Pete - last week the old Habitat bldg renovation at 10th/Broadway was news to me.

I think that we're going to see a lot of news and new development activity especially regarding Edge, Maywood, Homewood/Hilton, East Bricktown (ie., some renderings hopefully soon), MidtownR progressing through their portfolio (OSLER!!), etc.

For those of you who want to know what the future may include, I would look for a LOT more in East Bricktown, another project from McKown (LEVEL guy), a bunch of new restaurants (I am worried if we can support all of them), and whatever may replace Hale. I would also expect the new development announcements along the streetcar route, especially as we get closer to breaking ground on that.

Spartan
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Ah, you beat me to it!

This is just off the top of my head (will add more later):
Downtown parking on Main Street with possible offices above

Huh?

Pete
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The new downtown garage on Main Street with either offices or residential above being designed by TAP.

Spartan
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I was not aware that offices were part of the picture?

dankrutka
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Maybe perception is not reality. Or maybe expectations have risen. That would be good too.

Bellaboo
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Maybe perception is not reality. Or maybe expectations have risen. That would be good too.

I think we've been ruined by 'The Devon Tower'. Or spoiled maybe...

G.Walker
07-03-2012, 07:04 AM
I think what KilgoreTrout's point is that Oklahoma City, especially the urban core, has not had any fresh new projects announced/planned in a while, with the exception of East Bricktown apartments. Most of the projects mentioned are projects we have known about for years, and are just now coming to fruition. I really don't think that public projects (ex. Myriad Gardens, Skydance Bridge, MAPS3) hold the same merit as pure private development.

I am still waiting on the next project that will just make me say, WOW!

G.Walker
07-03-2012, 07:10 AM
We need some big development projects to start coming in...

Spartan
07-03-2012, 07:12 AM

I would say this. However I'm quite content with the development activity right now. Remember after 2008? I was frustrated because we were a lot more stagnant and dead than we needed to be and the financial crisis couldn't have accounted for ALL of that. At that time we were seeing a lot of people sitting on the sides waiting for some big players to make their move. I think we'll continue to see those people who took a timeout in 2008 get back involved after having a few of their questions answered.

Oh, and Preftakes anyone?

G.Walker
07-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Preftakes? Really? At this point, I see no upside in anything that he is doing with is block. Its been 4 years since he announced he had something planned for his block, and nothing official has be announced yet.

BoulderSooner
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I think what KilgoreTrout's point is that Oklahoma City, especially the urban core, has not had any fresh new projects announced/planned in a while, with the exception of East Bricktown apartments. Most of the projects mentioned are projects we have known about for years, and are just now coming to fruition. I really don't think that public projects (ex. Myriad Gardens, Skydance Bridge, MAPS3) hold the same merit as pure private development.

I am still waiting on the next project that will just make me say, WOW!

the main st garage with maybe 5 floors of apt above was just anounced

Pete
07-03-2012, 07:56 AM
The Century Center renovation was just announced as well and SandRidge has all types of things under construction and in the queue.

By it's nature, the central core usually only features bigger projects so of course they are going to be further between.

It shouldn't be too long before the convention center hotel gets rolling and that along with the cc, will make a huge difference in the CBD.

mmonroe
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
is development slowing or is it just the board?

Don't jinx ANYTHING!!!

SoonerBoy18
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Why wasnt Core to Shore mentioned in "Further Down the Line"?

OUAriakas
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry to sound like such a noob, but is the East Bricktown project the apartments that will replace the metal buildings on the North side of Sheridan as you enter from the East? If not, did this project ever get approved? Thanks!

Pete
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry to sound like such a noob, but is the East Bricktown project the apartments that will replace the metal buildings on the North side of Sheridan as you enter from the East? If not, did this project ever get approved? Thanks!

Yes, you are correct. And we were all new once! Welcome to the site.

Nothing has been formally approved but the tentative plan is for apartments plus an 8-story hotel. They are trying to get everything square away but there was a demolition permit for most those metal buildings, so things seem to be moving along.

More info here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=East+Bricktown+Apartments+and+H otel

Spartan
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
We will probably have to wait till later this year for renderings. This will be kinda like the Edge, developer could come up with something vague and then change it later on, but in this case Brooks won't because there isn't an RFP.

Pete
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
The East Bricktown project will also have to contend with the Bricktown Design Review Committee, so like the planned hotel, you can bet there will be several iterations of their design concept before everything gets approved.

beatlesteve
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
The new parking gargage will be buildt accross my city office at 420 w. Main st