View Full Version : Website Publishes Mug Shots, Then Charges $200 to Remove Them!

Bunty
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Quite possibly a business plan that is guaranteed to attract threats of violence, a Kansas City native is reaching out to arrested people to charge them a hefty fee to stop publicizing their arrest on the Web. As detailed by the Kansas City Star this week, 30-year-old Matthew Creed has developed and launched a site called BlabberMouth in order to bring public attention to local arrests.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/website-publishes-mug-shots-then-charges-arrestees-200-to-remove-them/#ixzz1zLARtViH

ljbab728
07-01-2012, 12:53 AM
There's nothing quite like American free enterprise at work.

BBatesokc
07-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Would love to see someone challenge this in court. Don't know what the exact legalese would be, but I'm guessing one could make a case somewhere in the realm of blackmail/extortion (as eluded to in the linked article).

Of course, if its challenged and he won, I think I might expand my business model! Just kidding. Figured I'd go there before someone else did.

Personally, I think this crosses the legal line (and coming from me, that's saying something).

BBatesokc
07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Just checked out their website. Looks like the recent legal heat on them is having an effect.

windowphobe
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Not quite two hours ago, I posted an article about the site; not quite an hour later, the guy's corporate name and telephone number showed up on Caller ID. Damage control? I dunno. He didn't leave a comment, and it's not like it's hard to find my email address. I duly put up a link to this thread, so he can be further perplexed.