View Full Version : Housing Market in OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Plutonic Panda
06-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Good news according to The Oklahoman. The housing market seems alive and well in Oklahoma City with the exception of a few suburbs.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-homebuilders-are-acting-like-its-2002/article/3688768

Questor
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
It's interesting that Moore and Norman are still posting negative figures, I wonder if anyone has theorized on why that is. Also I am surprised that Yukon isn't mentioned at all, it seems like it has grown enough in recent years to be occasionally checked for a pulse in articles like this.

Plutonic Panda
06-30-2012, 10:20 PM
It's interesting that Moore and Norman are still posting negative figures, I wonder if anyone has theorized on why that is. Also I am surprised that Yukon isn't mentioned at all, it seems like it has grown enough in recent years to be occasionally checked for a pulse in articles like this.
Yeah now that I think about it that is very wierd, because I just had a friend who moved out there and there really is alot going on there esp. new housing developements.

As for Moore and Norman, I have no clue about Norman, but it seems like Moore is doing pretty well IDK why they are negative.

Plutonic Panda
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
BTW. I meant to type Housing Market.

ljbab728
06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
The down numbers in Moore and Norman are really insignificant when looking at exact numbers. It's nothing to be concerned about for either city.

Snowman
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM

The city lines get a bit murky where the growth is around Yukon, it seems like more growth stopped in the West OKC and North Mustang areas near it than in Yukon itself.

ljbab728
06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
The city lines aren't murky at all. They are very specific. The Oklahoman has just traditionally never included Yukon or Mustang when giving housing figures. The area in OKC between Yukon and Mustang is still very active and is included in the overall OKC figures.

Snowman
06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
What I was saying is many people mistake the areas that are West OKC and North Mustang for Yukon, which those areas did slow housing starts which could easily make someone feel Yukon's was slowing

ljbab728
06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
What I was saying is many people mistake the areas that are West OKC and North Mustang for Yukon, which those areas did slow housing starts which could easily make someone feel Yukon's was slowing

I know those areas can get confused by the general public but not by anyone doing official figures. I'm not sure what you mean by North Mustang being confused for Yukon. I've never heard that before. Mustang ends at 59th Street so it doesn't go very far North. I've seen no evidence that those areas are slowing. Do you know something that I don't?

SoonerBoy18
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I am dissapointed that Yukon wasnt mentioned, I really want to see Yukon and Mustang continue growing and eventually be the size of Edmond one day. Dont see how Moore is the fastest growing suburb at all.

ljbab728
07-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I am dissapointed that Yukon wasnt mentioned, I really want to see Yukon and Mustang continue growing and eventually be the size of Edmond one day. Dont see how Moore is the fastest growing suburb at all.

Mustang has 12 square miles so it's impossible for it to ever achieve Edmond's population. Yukon has a little over twice as much area. Edmond has about 88 square miles. Mustang and Yukon combined will never match Edmond in population.

Moore's numbers weren't the largest for the suburbs. It was the greatest percentage increase for the larger suburbs, however.

kevinpate
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I suppose they could always begin to build upwards, but I suspect that would chafe more than a few folks in town if things began to grow that direction.

beatlesteve
08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Right know we are at 6400 single family permits..over 20% from last year>>

RealEstateCop1
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
The last few homes that I've had listed have sold very fast. The housing market in the OKC metro area is doing well in my opinion.

Plutonic Panda
12-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Oklahoma City metro area sees increase in new homes for the holidays | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-metro-area-sees-increase-in-new-homes-for-the-holidays/article/3741443)

Jesseda
01-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Oklahoma City metro area sees increase in new homes for the holidays | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-metro-area-sees-increase-in-new-homes-for-the-holidays/article/3741443)

Is Moore almost out of land to build new homes? I know that its is wedged between okc and norman.

venture
01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Is Moore almost out of land to build new homes? I know that its is wedged between okc and norman.

Not quite. Still plenty of land left. Most of it will be in the area bordered by Bryant on the West, SE 4th/134 on the North, and the sections north of Indian Hills on the south. There are also still many places of open land in the core of Moore.

Bill Robertson
01-02-2013, 07:03 AM
The last few homes that I've had listed have sold very fast. The housing market in the OKC metro area is doing well in my opinion.I know houses are selling quickly around the Rockwell to County Line, Britton to 122nd area. Seldom see signs up for more than a couple of months before SOLD pops up.

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Surge in Oklahoma City metro-area home starts keep builders busy | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/surge-in-oklahoma-city-metro-area-home-starts-keep-builders-busy/article/3746388)

catch22
01-24-2013, 07:50 PM
In the state of the city address, it was mentioned 2,000 people move to OKC every month. That's an average of 66 a day. It's an interesting thought.

bchris02
01-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Good news according to The Oklahoman. The housing market seems alive and well in Oklahoma City with the exception of a few suburbs.

Oklahoma City homebuilders are acting like it's 2002 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-homebuilders-are-acting-like-its-2002/article/3688768)

It said Moore was down 16%, but isn't the Moore city limits pretty much built out? I imagine most of OKC's huge increase in starts was in the far SW side in the Moore school district or far NW side in the Edmond or Deer Creek school district. For suburban areas, those two areas are really the best in the metro.

bchris02
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
In the state of the city address, it was mentioned 2,000 people move to OKC every month. That's an average of 66 a day. It's an interesting thought.

That's a pretty cool statistic. I wonder how many people are moving out of OKC every month, and what the net population increase is?

catch22
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
That's a pretty cool statistic. I wonder how many people are moving out of OKC every month, and what the net population increase is?

Not sure, I assume that was the net population growth. 24K a year in growth / 12 months = 2,000.

ljbab728
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
It said Moore was down 16%, but isn't the Moore city limits pretty much built out? I imagine most of OKC's huge increase in starts was in the far SW side in the Moore school district or far NW side in the Edmond or Deer Creek school district. For suburban areas, those two areas are really the best in the metro.

Moore still has a fair amount of undeveloped land.

http://www.cityofmoore.com/sites/default/files/main-site/MooreOKMap2011.pdf

catch22
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
You would think Moore would be encouraging more dense, urban development since they will be running out of land in the next several years if trends continue.

ljbab728
01-24-2013, 11:28 PM
You would think Moore would be encouraging more dense, urban development since they will be running out of land in the next several years if trends continue.

And what would they do to encourage that?

catch22
01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
And what would they do to encourage that?

They seem to be able to encourage every other style of development....

ljbab728
01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
They seem to be able to encourage every other style of development....

So you think they don't want any higher density development? They are obviously giving some incentives but you have to have someone who wants to develop higher density first to give an incentive to. That isn't easy to find in a suburb. Finding developers for the kind of development they are getting who are willing to take incentives isn't that difficult.

catch22
01-24-2013, 11:40 PM
The dense development would occur if they laid a foundation for it. Provide a space to build around. Instead of a place to just build on. Just throwing money out the door on ever-widing roads and new subdivisions isn't going to do squat.

ljbab728
01-24-2013, 11:59 PM
The dense development would occur if they laid a foundation for it. Provide a space to build around. Instead of a place to just build on. Just throwing money out the door on ever-widing roads and new subdivisions isn't going to do squat.

I'm sorry but that doesn't really say anything about what they should do. What does laying a foundation mean? Every city improves roads so Moore isn't any different. They certainly can't tell land owners of undeveloped land that they can't build a new subdivision if it's properly zoned. I understand what you're aiming for but there is only so much the city can do without developers who want to do dense development and that isn't likely for Moore anytime soon.

catch22
01-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Instead of just investing in roads. Invest in public spaces. Change your city codes. Provide a transit system. Any basic urban features to just get something started before they are completely out of land and unable to further expand their population.

Snowman
01-25-2013, 12:11 AM

Most of their land is near the perimeter of the city, the likely spot I think could work for a start is fields and a couple warehouses adjoining where their central park (http://www.okctalk.com/moore/31868-new-central-park-moore.html) is proposed near the railroad. With part of their plan moving their old station to the park, it makes it a natural park and ride if commuter rail ever gets established or for an Amtrak stop, dense development alongside cements that as the best place for a rail stop in Moore. The space is fairly long but relatively narrow, with single family housing backing the narrow side. So assuming they would want that and could incentivise dense development there, they would probably have to limit the entire project height to either two or three stories instead of having a tapper before they get a lot of push back (it probably would need some good PR to for people not to complain about density anyway).

ljbab728
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Instead of just investing in roads. Invest in public spaces. Change your city codes. Provide a transit system. Any basic urban features to just get something started before they are completely out of land and unable to further expand their population.

Sounds nice, but you still have to have investors wanting to build dense development in a suburb. Those aren't common. What kind of public spaces are you talking about and change what city codes? How would that encourage dense development by investors?

Plutonic Panda
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Central Oklahoma homebuilders surge in 2012 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/central-oklahoma-homebuilders-surge-in-2012/article/3749218)

BBatesokc
01-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Oklahoma City homebuilders are acting like it's 2002 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-homebuilders-are-acting-like-its-2002/article/3688768)

I would agree with the article. With our only kiddo out of the house and no more college expenses to pay for we finally decided to move after 15 years in the hood.

Interest rates are just too low and prices pretty decent if you wanna build or buy used.

We locked in 3.275% on a nice home in a great wooded neighborhood on 2.5 acres in Edmond near 33rd and I-35.

We decided to go with a used home over a new one. We could have gone new, but for the same price we'd be on some small flat piece of land in some new edition with no trees and virtually every other house looking the same and only an arms length apart. The wife and I prefer 'character' and a lack of neighbors over that cookie cutter high end apartment look (probably because we are getting old and grumpy).

But, like the article said, closing was a nightmare. Even though we set the date over a month out, the underwriters still waited until the last week to even look at the paperwork and make their laundry list of requests. Even going conventional with a big downpayment on a place appraising for more than we were paying, it was still stressful.

We had friends who built a new place near Chesapeake and the Classen Curve and even with 50% down they were denied by the first lender (picked up by a second).

Selling on the other hand has been no fun either. Two bedrooms in a not real desirable neighborhood proved to be a chore to sell.

Richard at Remax
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Shameless of shameless plugs but I am putting my house in Edgemere Park on the market next week after labor day. 3 beds and 2 baths, 1825 sq feet with almost 700 sq feet in basement not included in price.

So if you know anyone who is interested it is on Edgemere Ct just south and west from Eubanks St

PM me if you want any extra details

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Oklahoma City keeps mopping up home listings | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-keeps-mopping-up-home-listings/article/5379529)

Plutonic Panda
01-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Demand builds: Homebuyers face inventory shortage in OKC metro | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2015/01/08/demand-builds-homebuyers-face-inventory-shortage-in-okc-metro-real-estate/)

Plutonic Panda
03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Oklahoma City-area home sales as warm now as in early 2014, except for Edmond | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-area-home-sales-as-warm-now-as-in-early-2014-except-for-edmond/article/5399218)

Plutonic Panda
10-10-2015, 03:50 PM
County sees $1M homes on rise | News OK (http://newsok.com/county-sees-1m-homes-on-rise/article/5452705)

Canoe
10-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Nice break down by zip code

oklip955
10-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Seems like a lot of new houses are still going up. Hope they get sold. Its looking like anything over $300K is moving slow, is that correct? Any real estate people in this group?

Pete
10-11-2015, 12:21 PM
The core is still red-hot.

Anything decent sells very quickly and at a pretty good premium.

okatty
10-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Seems like a lot of new houses are still going up. Hope they get sold. Its looking like anything over $300K is moving slow, is that correct? Any real estate people in this group?

I was in a meeting last week with a builder, banker and realtor. Their basic consensus was that the $300-500K market has softened. They were not talking about a particular area but probably NW and Edmond as opposed to the core would be their focus. The lower market still seems strong and interestingly the very high upper end market pretty strong especially customs. I understand there will be 9 homes build in the 16 Street of Dreams in Edmond (Iron Horse Ranch) and all will be at or over $1mill.

cxl144
10-19-2015, 12:12 AM
Living in the Yukon District/WOKC I can say the pace of development is really picking up on this side of town. At the SE corner of SW 29th and Mustang Road dirtwork has begun on Meadow Park, a full 1/4 section that will eventually be 420 homes. The last development started near my house was sold out before they could complete the infrastructure for the next phase.

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2015, 01:47 PM
'Unprecedented market': The trials and tribulations of the first-time Oklahoma City home buyer | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/5456151)

AP
10-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Just went through this experience. To say it was the most stressful period of my life would be an understatement.

sooner88
10-27-2015, 02:00 PM
I've been in the market off and on for the past year/year and a half and that was my exact experience. Any house that is worth buying is gone in days if not hours. Also, like she mentioned, there are a lot of houses where they made cosmetic updates (i.e. kitchen, etc.) yet left the major updates untouched. Had I not had my realtor with me as an unexperienced buyer it would difficult to know what all to look for and what questions to ask.

AP
10-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Luckily, I used Verbode and they were able to show me another Verbode listed house a day before everyone else saw it so I was able to get in an offer 24 hours in advance.

Canoe
10-27-2015, 02:06 PM
What price range are y'all looking in. There is a difference between 100k, 200k, and 300k.

LakeEffect
10-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Verbode rocks.

I was really annoyed with how many homes we saw (back in 2012) that had spent a good amount of money on updates that were far from my family's taste. We passed on quite a few because the upgrades had driven up the cost, and the upgrades were of poor taste, poor quality or both.

Teo9969
10-27-2015, 02:48 PM
It's only begun.

I fully expect to see everything in the Interstate Loop selling for over $100/sf by 2020, and most things selling for $150/sf+ especially if it's near a "district" (Classen/Western/Uptown) or in one of the stronger historic neighborhoods (Crown Heights, Putnam Heights, etc).

North of 23rd and West of Classen is the place right now for people who want to get in cheaper and see more upside from their investment, that area hasn't been near as flipped as everything to the East of Classen and South of 23rd.

Great pointers in the article about foundations and other infrastructural issues. Kitchens, Bathrooms…those are cheap. A bad foundation doesn't go away.

FighttheGoodFight
10-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Verbode rocks.

I was really annoyed with how many homes we saw (back in 2012) that had spent a good amount of money on updates that were far from my family's taste. We passed on quite a few because the upgrades had driven up the cost, and the upgrades were of poor taste, poor quality or both.

This is why we bought an unupdated house. Some of the houses we saw.... I really don't know what they were thinking when updating. It made the houses look worse somehow...

AP
10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
It's only begun.

I fully expect to see everything in the Interstate Loop selling for over $100/sf by 2020, and most things selling for $150/sf+ especially if it's near a "district" (Classen/Western/Uptown) or in one of the stronger historic neighborhoods (Crown Heights, Putnam Heights, etc).

North of 23rd and West of Classen is the place right now for people who want to get in cheaper and see more upside from their investment, that area hasn't been near as flipped as everything to the East of Classen and South of 23rd.

Great pointers in the article about foundations and other infrastructural issues. Kitchens, Bathrooms…those are cheap. A bad foundation doesn't go away.

If you look at sales in Mesta Park over the last year, they're already averaging 145-150/sqft. Paseo is right at 97/sqft

John1780
10-31-2015, 05:04 PM
We paid $92/sq ft in Crestwood back in April, and that was after extended negotiations beginning at $112/sq ft for a mostly un-updated house other than central HVAC and appliances.

Plutonic Panda
01-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Stable growth is projected for Oklahoma real estate in 2016 | News OK (http://newsok.com/stable-growth-is-projected-for-oklahoma-real-estate-in-2016/article/5472539)

warreng88
01-15-2016, 03:24 PM
We paid $92/sq ft in Crestwood back in April, and that was after extended negotiations beginning at $112/sq ft for a mostly un-updated house other than central HVAC and appliances.

We paid $84/sf for our home in Crestwood in 2007 and could sell it all day for at $115/sf.

oklip955
01-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Not sure that I agree with the take on the 2016 housing market. If oil drops to say $10-20 a barrel. There will be more layoffs. I'm guessing more houses on the market with prices falling and foreclosures in the future. I hope i'm wrong. Anyone else with some more expert knowlege??

coov23
01-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Not sure that I agree with the take on the 2016 housing market. If oil drops to say $10-20 a barrel. There will be more layoffs. I'm guessing more houses on the market with prices falling and foreclosures in the future. I hope i'm wrong. Anyone else with some more expert knowlege??

Oil does effect the economy, but only 3% of the employment is energy based in okc metro. My mom is vice president of mortgage company and they are swamped. Same with my real estate friends. Its not the end all it was in the 80's.

Tundra
01-16-2016, 09:37 AM
12091 this is how 2015 finished up.