View Full Version : Golds Gym is a Scam

ExtremistPullup
06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Golds Gym is a Scam. They have no idea whats going on with the cost of there memberships or who is in charge. They bait and switch with misleading ads.

I'll stay a member at the YMCA

ljbab728
06-26-2012, 09:56 PM
I know nothing at all about Golds Gym but I think it would be helpful if you would elaborate a little on your statement. You're obviously upset with them but you're not giving anything to support how you feel.

ExtremistPullup
06-26-2012, 10:42 PM
First time going to the Quail Location the salesman Chad told us 16.99 bi-weekly 30 dollar enrollment fee 20.99 yearly maintenance fee; for each person.

Saw their ad in the paper, went back in and Paul Dales said it didn't apply for the Quail location only the Edmond and NW expressway location, their rate is 14.99 per person bi-weekly.
I wonder what happened to 16.99??
Called the NW expressway location and they said that offer was only for the quail springs location. Called the quail location and spoke to Paul Dales and told them what the NW expressway location said, he rushed me off the phone saying there price was 13.99 bi-weekly, but with a 99 dollar enrollment fee for each person. My wife called Quail back and Kenton said I talked to him and Turell not Paul when I went in.
They told her it was 14.99 bi-weekly with 29.99 enrollment fee 20.99 per year, per person and the 13.99 is only for the Edmond location.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/extremistpullup/golds.jpg

I bet when I call the Edmond Location they will say "Oh the 13.99 is only good at the Quail Location"

ExtremistPullup
06-26-2012, 10:48 PM
It works out to be.

For two people at golds gym for the first year it runs 1037.46. 977.64 a year after the first year.
For a family at YMCA for the first year it runs 769.00. 699 a year after the first year.

OkieHornet
06-27-2012, 12:35 PM
i got a deal at fitness 19 in edmond a few months back. $9/month, $39 one-time enrollment fee, $20 annual maintenance fee.

golds in edmond were not willing at all when i tried to negotiate a better monthly rate. i'd been a member for 3 years since it was aspen athletic, and talked to the same guy who signed me up when it was aspen, and he was fairly rude and pretty much brushed me off. never hurts to ask, and i didn't feel i was owed anything, but the customer service attitude was inexcusable.

fitness 19 is great. no frills, but has what i need and it's cheap and clean.

OSUPeterson
06-27-2012, 12:45 PM
This is the same as what Aspen would pull.

They have a crazy high base rate that if you just go in and join and don't ask questions they will give you. Depending on who you press on and how hard you press, they just seem to make up rates. I knew several people who worked out at Aspen in Edmond when I worked up there, they all paid different rates. I really do not feel like you get your money's worth with these types of Gyms. They are nice and flashy and dont have all the kids that the Y has in the summer during the day, but you do not really get anything that other gyms or a Y cannot provide. There's also just as much eye candy at the Y as there is at Golds.

IMO, the YMCA is the place to be if you live even near one. You get to use all of them in the area, and they have deals worked with the other Y's across the nation that you can use when travelling. They aren't the cheapest overall, you can usually find a decent strip mall gym that you can get a better rate at, but at least the Y is up front with their cost and doesn't yank you around. Plus, your rates at the Y go towards helping others less fortunate so you can feel better about yourself a little.

Bill Robertson
06-28-2012, 06:33 AM
i got a deal at fitness 19 in edmond a few months back. $9/month, $39 one-time enrollment fee, $20 annual maintenance fee.

golds in edmond were not willing at all when i tried to negotiate a better monthly rate. i'd been a member for 3 years since it was aspen athletic, and talked to the same guy who signed me up when it was aspen, and he was fairly rude and pretty much brushed me off. never hurts to ask, and i didn't feel i was owed anything, but the customer service attitude was inexcusable.

fitness 19 is great. no frills, but has what i need and it's cheap and clean.Pretty much the same happened to us with the Aspen then Golds on NW Expressway. We moved to Planet Fitness. Not as flashy but it has what we want and is much cheaper.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Just wait until you try to cancel your membership. They're almost as bad as XM Radio to get off your monthly ledger.

JayhawkTransplant
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I just wish the Y had better weekend hours. The Sunday hours are ridiculous.

Larry OKC
07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
What are the Y's Sunday hours? I know All American's are bad. Not sure why they even bother opening at all on Sunday.

Speaking of Sunday hours, noticed for the 1st time, Gold's parking lot at Portland & Xprswy was practically deserted the other day (think it was Sunday). There was 1 car near the entrance and it could have been a car for one of the other businesses. That place is usually PACKED and filling up the adjacent Buy-4-Less parking. Is Gold closed on Sunday's?

boscorama
07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Doesn't anyone go to Anytime Fitness? 24/7-365!

SSEiYah
07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I've been quite dissatisfied with golds since I was "bought" from Aspen. Rates have gone up 50%, they promised me the rates would not increase.

Its quite busy from 5-7pm, hard to use machines/free weights.

I'm thinking about switching to Planet Fitness, but I dont hit the gym too hard in the summer, its a fall-spring thing for me.

JayhawkTransplant
07-08-2012, 10:06 AM
What are the Y's Sunday hours? I know All American's are bad. Not sure why they even bother opening at all on Sunday.

The metro-area Ys are open 1-5 on Sunday. And only to 5pm on Saturday. I was actually turning in my membership application a few years ago at the downtown Y, and pulled on the door at 4:40pm on a Saturday and found that it was locked. I then realized that the Y just wasn't going to work for me. I love the facility, and sometimes go as a guest with a friend, but I like to work out in the evening.

BBatesokc
07-08-2012, 12:32 PM
The metro-area Ys are open 1-5 on Sunday. And only to 5pm on Saturday. I was actually turning in my membership application a few years ago at the downtown Y, and pulled on the door at 4:40pm on a Saturday and found that it was locked. I then realized that the Y just wasn't going to work for me. I love the facility, and sometimes go as a guest with a friend, but I like to work out in the evening.

Been a Y member for probably 18 years. Even when I was still a member of All American. I kept my All American membership for years because it only cost me a $99 yearly renewal. Then they opened the MWC location and told me I didn't qualify to workout there under my current membership since it was a new location. That's when I dropped All American.

We workout at the downtown Y 3-7 times a week. We also occasionally workout at the Midtown and Edmond Y's.

My major complaints with the Y are their hours (not nearly long enough on weekends), no racquetball downtown, and you never 'buy in' - you just keep paying month after month, year after year. I estimate I've paid $11,000 to be a member for the last 18 years (originally as an individual member, then as a family membership).

At least with some of the big franchises you pay higher initially, but then you're only obligated to a low yearly renewal.

There are also some major lewd act concerns with the downtown Y. So much so I actually ran into an undercover OKC Vice officer at the downtown Y on two occasions and he was conducting a sting at that location (very unsettling considering my teenager also worked out there).

But, the downtown Y's are usually very clean and there is lots of staff on hand and very little of the stereotypical gym rats or meat heads I've seen at the other popular gyms. Also, the girls tend to not feel any need to put on makeup to workout at the Y.

However, if not for the classes we attend regularly at the Y we probably would not be members. The downtown classes are so popular they are often filled to capacity and people have to be turned away - and in a city known for obesity, that's saying something.