Bricktown
Current

no

Address: 310 Johnny Bench Dr.
Phone: (405) 231-0254
Hours:
Development: Lower Bricktown
Links:
Official Website (http://www.tobykeithsbar.com/)
Menu (http://www.tobykeithsbar.com/sites/default/files/TobyKeith-2013Menu-Bricktown-Web.pdf)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/toby-keiths-i-love-this-bar-and-grill-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/501603/restaurant/Bricktown/Toby-Keiths-I-Love-This-Bar-Grill-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tobywiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

Patrick
07-14-2004, 01:18 PM
-----------------------
Here's the article:

Toby Keith eyes Bricktown site

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Toby Keith is coming to Bricktown - and he may bring some friends.
Restaurateur Hal Smith and developer Randy Hogan confirmed Tuesday they have completed a sale of property along the Bricktown Canal that will allow for construction of a 12,000-square-foot restaurant and music hall to be christened “Toby Keith’s Road House.”

Because the attraction will be along Interstate 40, Smith said he and Keith expect it will be a frequent performance stop for musicians traveling between Nashville, Tenn., and Los Angeles.

“This particular site, I-35 and I-40, is where America meets,” Smith said. “You couldn’t ask for a better crossroads. And the visibility from the interstate is phenomenal.”

Smith and his partners paid Hogan $1.5 million for the property, which the developer bought from the city last year after years of negotiations. Smith said discussions about the project began about a year ago with the Oklahoma-based national recording artist and Hunter Miller, son-in-law of former Sooners coach Barry Switzer.

“Toby is very proud to be from Oklahoma,” Smith said. “And he really loves a good steak. Part of our discussion was to build a steak house Oklahoma could be really proud of. His thoughts are for it to be a fun place that appeals to people of Oklahoma and those in surrounding states.”

Smith wants construction to start later this year, with an opening by next summer. The $4.5 million restaurant, once complete, will employ about 120 people.

While designs aren’t complete, Smith said the exterior probably will include native stone similar to that found along the south segment of the canal, but also will match surrounding Bricktown architecture.

An outdoor patio, shaped like a guitar, will overlook the waterway across from the Sonic headquarters. Smith hopes outdoor fire pits will keep patio diners warm on chilly nights.

Visitors also will be treated to a display of memorabilia representing not only Keith’s career, but also the accomplishments of other native Oklahoma performers and song writers, Smith said.

Early on, the partners considered sites along the Interstate 40 and Meridian hotel corridor and near Interstate 240 and Shields Boulevard. They began to look at the Bricktown site after construction had started on the nearby Bass Pro Shops but before announcement of the adjoining 16-screen Harkins Theatres.

“The more we looked at it, and this particular site, I-35 and I-40 is where America meets,” Smith said. “You couldn’t ask for a better crossroads. And the visibility from the interstate is phenomenal.”

Chad Huntington, operator of the Bricktown Water Taxis, said speculation about the project has been rampant since Hogan first confirmed to The Oklahoman that he was negotiating a deal with a then unidentified recording artist.

“This will be tremendous,” Huntington said. “The people who are already coming in, thanks to Bass Pro Shops and other new developments, will really appreciate a venue like this. Obviously, Toby Keith has a national presence and is going to attract the attention of a lot of people from outside Oklahoma City.”

Dave Lopez, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., said Bricktown already is a tourist destination - but the Keith project takes the city to a new level of prominence.

“It puts us on a national map, certainly in the music industry,” Lopez said.

With Tuesday’s announcement, only three building sites remain undeveloped in the newly christened “Lower Bricktown.” Hogan said talks are under way with three different groups for a building site northwest of the theater. He expects heightened interest in the site immediately east of Toby Keith’s Roadhouse.

Hogan also thinks the combination of Toby Keith and one of Oklahoma City’s top restaurant operators will prevent the project from going the way of unsuccessful theme restaurants that were popular in the late 1990s.

“The entertainment feature of our project has always been important,” Hogan said. “This just adds to the mix. The Bass Pro Shops has its form of shopping and entertainment. Harkins is all about entertainment. Now we’re bringing live music to the project. It’s a combination that will be unbeatable.”

floater
07-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes, the details look good for Roadhouse. Even better are the potential performers who'll come through Lower Bricktown. Out of the other performers you mentioned, Vince Gill and Amy Grant have been the most involved in OKC. I actually hope that if upper market single-family housing lands on the river, they should get a spot. Anyway, what I would like to see from them, in Bricktown or in the Arts District, is a recording studio. But another music hall would be divine, too, as Amy could make it a gospel venue.

Patrick
07-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Either way, I think a music venue from either Gill or Grant would be awesome. And them having a recording studio in the Arts District would only had to the diversity of the type of art that's there.

But, Amy Grant and Vince Gill both have high dollar venues and studios in Nashville, so not sure if they'd want to move here or not. Maybe when they get older, they could retire here and open up a theater here. That's pretty much what's happened in Branson with other artists.

If they built a house here, it would definitely have to be huge, because the one they have now is larger than any house in Gaillardia!

Patrick
09-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, the designs have been released for the new Toby Keith venue, next to the theater, on the Bricktown canal.

http://newsok.com/tempimages/s16keith.jpg

Also, you'll notice that discussions are underway to build either a highrise hotel or residential tower. Personally I hope they go with the hotel. We still need hotel space downtown, and I'd reserve canal space for tourists. Residential complexes can be built in surrounding areas, like in the Redhawks lot. But wait, Hogan mentions at th eend of the article that the residential development might be a mix of hotel space and residential space. That might be nice.

Anyways, the Toby Keith venue sounds interesting. Sounds very similar to the Grand Palace in Branson, which has many different stars come through. I think this will be a great addition to Bricktown. And I'm glad to see that the building, while not having two stories, will appear that way on the exterior to match the other buildings.
---------------

"Designs unveiled for Toby Keith's
By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

Design work is complete and construction could begin next month on a $3.5 million Toby Keith's Roadhouse.

Randy Hogan, developer of "Lower Bricktown," also confirmed Wednesday discussions are under way on whether to build a midrise hotel or residential tower along the Bricktown Canal.

Designs for the Toby Keith venue were unveiled to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority, which is overseeing development of "Lower Bricktown" -- a commercial complex being built south of Reno Avenue along the canal.

Dave Zimmer, project manager for the Toby Keith venue, said the one-story building will be built with a two-story facade and will seat up to 600. The restaurant and music hall is being built by country music star Toby Keith and the Hal Smith Group, which owns and operates 68 restaurants, including Charleston's, Boomerang Grill and the Red Rock Canyon Grill.

The restaurant and music hall is scheduled to open by April.

Zimmer said the entertainment side of the operation will be overseen by Keith's booking agents, who will try to schedule music acts at least five days a week.

"You're going to have acts stopping by that are just passing through now," Zimmer said. "It's going to be a lot of fun."

Hogan predicted the restaurant and music hall will be a tourist destination, hopefully, he said, "similar to a miniature Austin City Limits."

Hogan said the neighboring 16-screen Harkins Theater is still scheduled to open Oct. 1. An elaborate fountain and plaza, meanwhile, will be dedicated Friday.

Other tenants scheduled to open over the next couple of months include an Earl's Rib Palace, a Nothing But Noodles, a sit-down Sonic restaurant and a Marble Slab Creamery.

Construction is to begin in April on a $35 million, 235-room Embassy Suites to be built between the Bass Pro Shops and the Sonic Restaurants corporate headquarters.

Hogan said he is developing "concepts" for a multistory hotel or residential tower that would be built southwest of the canal's Reno Avenue bridge.

"We're looking at two types of hotel products, and one potential combination of residential and hotel," Hogan said.

"We want to make sure what's left is a perfect fit into this mix."

Nuclear_2525
09-17-2004, 12:07 AM
I hope it is a mix. Bricktown needs much much more hotel space for the upcoming tournaments...but I can't imagine passing up a chance for residential. Even though there is already tons of new residential planned and being proposed, I don't think the city should pass down the opportunity for any of it.

Patrick
09-17-2004, 04:56 PM
By the way, does anyone know of a great example of a building with mix hotel/residential space??? I've never seen one before. I know they exist though.

floater
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM
One of the neighboring apartment buildings close to mine is actually the core of a complex that includes a commercial arcade, streetfront businesses, a small office building (which includes the local CBS affiliate), a garage and an Embassy Suites:

The Reserve Square complex:

http://reservesquare.com/media/rs_building_02.jpg

The tower on the right hosts the Embassy Suites. The streefront businesses are just below the Suites. The curved corner just above it hosts the TV station. The arcade is underneath the pool you see. The apartments are on the other tower. The pool, the park, and the tennis courts are for Reserve Square residents only.

This is the west entryway:

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/hotels/content/CLEESES/media/images/CLEESES_home_large.jpg

True to function, the Embassy Suites-signed entryway in the middle is the one to the hotel. The entryway on the left (with the gold double doors) takes you to the commercial arcade, whose tenants nicely serve the apartment residents and hotel guests. From the arcade, you can enter the apartment building.The arcade features a concierge, grocery store (where I get my groceries), dry cleaning, coffeeshop, bar, florist, and a stock brokerage firm. Instead of the firm, the complex would have been better served with a commercial bank branch. The arcade:

http://reservesquare.com/media/shops2.jpg

Of course we don't have the space in Lower Bricktown to accommodate two towers separated with such distance, but if you stack one use on top of another with a common streetlevel arcade, you would have nice mixed-use community for Bricktown.

Patrick
09-18-2004, 07:16 PM
That's cool floater! Man, I need to make a trip to Cleveland sometime soon. If and when I do, I'll let you know.

floater
09-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Patrick, you're always welcome! If you come, you'll see the region's assets. But you'll also go back to OKC appreciating more what's there (and in some cases, what's not there).

The Reserve Square is a great example of the subtle benefits of mixed use. Rarely do I come out with my bags of groceries without dodging visitors checking in. It makes things interesting.

By the way, I like the design of Toby Keith's Roadhouse. It's obviously not brick, but I think it will fit in easily and contribute to the uniqueness of Bricktown. Yet it's real value will be in the frequency of topnotch acts it brings in; it could be the venue that blows the doors off OKC's country music scene.

Nuclear_2525
09-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Not Brick? I just figured that the brick on it was brown instead of red. I didn't think OKC would let any type of building, Toby Keith or not, build in BRICKtown without some brick on it.

???

floater
09-19-2004, 11:10 AM
It doesn't look like it from the sketch...but the article doesn't say anything about materials...

BG918
09-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I would think that it would HAVE to include at least some brick. Is this right next to the Harkins cinema?

mranderson
09-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Look closely at the artists rendering. You can tell on the first level where it contains brick. The rest looks like it may be stucco. A design element quite under used in Oklahoma. Stucco, to me, looks better than brick.

Hey, Now that is a novel idea... Stuccotown.

HOT ROD
09-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Patrick:

A great example of mixed use is Vancouver's Wall Centre. The complex consists of three towers with over 700 hotel rooms. The tallest tower (currently the tallest tower in Van City) has condo's on the top 12 floors. This is arguably the best Sheraton hotel anywhere!

Wall Centre, downtown Vancouver
http://www.sheratonwallcentre.com/ [be sure to watch the film!]

Vancouver has many other mixed use examples. Another example is the soon to be built Living Shangri-La, a 60+ storey tower that will be the tallest in Van City. The bottom 12 will be a 5-star Shangri-La hotel (adding to the 4 other 5-stars downtown Van), while the upper will be condos. It would be great to own the top penthouse in that tower! I will try to copy/paste pics in here.

How do I post a pic, I have a great image of Living Shangri-La. Plz PM. Thx
Living Shangri-La, downtown Vancouver

Another supertall will be built at Georgia and Howe. It will look like a giant crystal, but will have the same config as Living Shangri-La. I believe it will also be a five star hotel with condos on top. As if Van did not have enough fine accomodations downtown, more are coming to the New York of the West Coast.

There is a downtown conference there in a few weeks. I sent an email to downtownokc and okc muni to make sure they knew about it and/or were attending.

Vancouver surely has lead the world in downtown living and design. I sure wish OKC could implement some Vancouver condo concepts! We in Seattle are trying, but they are priced out of our market right now (most are over $1mil).

Luke
09-19-2004, 06:15 PM
I think a mixed-use hotel/condo would be great for downtown OKC. Not only would it be very immediatelyfunctional, but having a development like this would give OKC a further forward thinking, cosmopolitan feel.

I hope it happens!

HOT ROD
09-19-2004, 07:22 PM
I hope it happens!

Me too, luke. Me too :)

Patrick
09-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks Hot Rod for the info. It's great to see successful examples of hotel/residential mix. Living in Oklahoma, it's ard to see good examples of that, because we just don't have any. That's why I asked! Anyways, those examples make me think even more, that if we're truly going to be a big city we need to seek some of these great developmental concepts.

Back to the Toby Keith venue......I think the color on that sketch is just bad.....from what I have been told from various sources, it will be very similar to the Sonic building......red brick on the bottom half, and white stucco/concrete on the top half......exactly like the Sonic Building.

Patrick
11-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm glad to see another Lower Bricktown project breaking ground. Lower Bricktown is starting to fill up nicely.

--------------
"Toby Keith eatery start scheduled

Country music star and Oklahoma native Toby Keith will break ground Thursday on his 600-seat restaurant and music hall at 310 Johnny Bench Blvd. in Bricktown.
Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill is being built by Keith and the Hal Smith Restaurant Group.

After an announcement at 2 p.m., Keith, Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, Smith and developer Randy Hogan will shovel the first mound of dirt to officially start construction. "

Patrick
11-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Just another article relating to this topic:

"Country music star Toby Keith breaks ground on downtown restaurant

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004
OKCBusiness NewsWire

Country music star Toby Keith breaks ground on downtown restaurant

Toby Keith, Oklahoma native and Country Music Entertainer of the year, joined business and civic leaders today for the groundbreaking ceremony of the singer’s restaurant, Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill.

The $4.7 million project is scheduled to open in Spring 2005 and is being built along the canal, south of Reno Avenue.

“The whole concept reflects my passion for Oklahoma and where everyone will feel comfortable,” Keith said.

The restaurant is named after a Keith’s “I Love This Bar” song from his 2003 Album of the Year SHOCK’N’ Y’ALL.

Hal Smith Restaurant Group is building the 12,000-square-foot venue.

“This is by far the most exciting restaurant I’ve been a part of,” said Hal Smith, principal of Hal Smith Restaurant Group.

Mayor Mick Cornett said the newly developed area in which the restaurant will be a spot hot spot for businesses.

“This has the potential to be the marquee spot in Oklahoma City,” Cornett said.

Keith said there was one main criterion for the restaurant.

“The food had to be great,” he said. “I’ve been in all the themed restaurants, and the food is terrible.” Keith said he was going to be sure to give hungry Oklahomans what they want.

“I don’t want somebody coming up to me at an OU game and say, ‘Hey, your steaks suck.’”

Keith said he believed his restaurant would bring synergy to the area. The restaurant is positioned in the newly developing area called Lower Bricktown, which is being developed by Bricktown Entertainment, LLC.

Randy Hogan, principal of Bricktown Entertainment, LLC, said the new restaurant will cause more people to come and experience Lower Bricktown’s attractions."

Patrick
11-07-2004, 01:52 AM
In a news story I heard, Keith said artists pass through our city all the time, on their way to concert venues. Most concerts are on the weekends, so most of the artists usually pass through during the week. In the past, we've had nothing to lure them off the highway. Now Keith hopes to lure them to his venue to perform during the week. This is awesome.
One can only hope that this will be so successful that other similar venues will move to the Bricktown area.

Keith
11-07-2004, 05:59 AM
I just hope that he doesn't pull a Barry Switzer, and shut down his restaurant, just so that he can have a tax write off. Barry has a big influence on Toby (which is sad). I'm sure that Toby plans on having success, however, if he doesn't..what next?

Patrick
11-09-2004, 12:00 AM
The sad part is that Barry made everyone think he was losing money on his restaurants. He was actually making money, just not a killing like he probably first hoped for.

swake
11-09-2004, 08:30 AM
I don’t care for country music, but this sounds like a cool concept. I wish Garth Brooks or his girlfriend would open something like this in Tulsa, sadly I think they are too happy being retired. Even Roy Clark could do it.. Hopefully they will consider it if this does well there.

mranderson
11-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I heard Keith wants a sign like you see at places like MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

That would be great, however, would it violate the billboard ban on 40.

Midtowner
11-09-2004, 08:52 AM
I heard Keith wants a sign like you see at places like MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

That would be great, however, would it violate the billboard ban on 40.

I've always said, it'd actually be really nice to have 'landmark' type billboards along I-40. I'm sure if you made enough demands on the billboards, that it would get rid of your 1800-DNA-TEST type ads.

Patrick
11-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Well, this won't really be right off the new I-40.....as you know the new I-40 will chart off from Bass Pro to the towards the south, so the new highway will actually be a ways from the Toby Keith restaurant. Actually though, from what I understood the projection screen will ne on the south wall of the building, and not a separate billboard. That's what they said on New 9.

mranderson
11-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I guess you are right, Patrick. I forgot about the reroute. I wish the sign was on a pole like Las Vegas. Some things were BORN to be copied, and it appears that this one just missed the cue.

Patrick
11-09-2004, 05:25 PM
You might be right about where the sign will be re-located. I'm not 100% sure it will be on the wall of the building, but that's just what I thought I remembered hearing. Anyways, in Branson several of the theaters have large video screens on the facades. I still think they're impressive.

metro
05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/204

I have updated pics of the venue, not much has changed since last time although I bet they have done more on the interior. I will try to sneak some pics from inside next time I'm down there with the digicam

BG918
05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Eh I don't like the design very much, and I think it should have to be multi-story. It should be a fun place though and I definitely can't wait to try it. A mixed-use hotel/residential for the Embassy Suites would be AWESOME. We should all write Hammons and tell him what we think. Show him some examples of successful projects, I believe Austin is currently building one in their downtown. Also demand that all parking be in a garage or better yet underground! Does Bricktown really need 10 stories for a hotel? Isn't the height limit 12 stories? 8 could be for the hotel, and 4 for condos on the top floors with great ballpark and skyline views.

Karried
05-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Great pics, thanks for posting. Does anyone know when the grand opening is going to be? I thought someone said July 2? Anyone?

metro
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, July 2nd. On another note, the sign went up yesterday, pics are in todays issue of The Oklahoman. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

ahhnna1
05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Does anyone have any info on when Toby Keith's restaurant will be opening in Bricktown? We will be traveling to OKC in the next couple of weeks and wanted to check it out. Thanks for any info anyone has!

Karried
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I believe it is July 2 - welcome to OKC!

Keith
05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Does anyone have any info on when Toby Keith's restaurant will be opening in Bricktown? We will be traveling to OKC in the next couple of weeks and wanted to check it out. Thanks for any info anyone has!
I believe Karried is correct....July 2nd (which happens to be my 24th wedding anniversary, also). BTW, ahhnna1, welcome to okctalk. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

metro
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
yes, as mentioned in the other toby keith's thread, july 2nd is the grand opening. on another note, i have updated pics and my gallery and some new nighttime shots will be added as soon as the mods approve them

terrared
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
And my husband's band "Arrowhead" is playing that night. They put on a good show. My hubby grew up in Tulsa and is always happy to head back to Oklahoma! It would be cool to meet some of you that night!

ahhnna1
05-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Well, my kids will be dissappointed. All the news releases said early spring. We will be there Memorial day weekend thru the next weekend. My husband is dying to go back to the Cowboy Hall of Fame. Not my thing, but if it keeps him quiet :)!!! Thanks for the info!

metro
05-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Just thought I would let you know, it is now known as the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum. They enlarged and modernized the facilities and wanted to bring a more modern feel and sound to the museum.

Karried
05-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Here is a link to some 2 for 1 coupons - http://www.travelok.com/hot_deals/coupons.asp

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/

Have fun!

ahhnna1
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
coupons?? Its like you know me :)!! I love coupons. Thanks for the links.

Karried
05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes, coupons help when traveling - it can add up!

Where are you visiting from? And what brings you to our sunny state? Visiting? or Business?

ahhnna1
05-20-2005, 06:09 PM
We are coming from Fort Knox KY. My husband is military and grew up in Cordell (West of OKC, near Clinton). His oldest child gave birth to the first grandbaby last month and we are coming to squeeze the heck out of him!! Can't wait to see that baby! My mother-in- law lives in Enid, so we will be visiting her as well. We always try to spend time in OKC while we are there. Although we visit Oklahoma yearly we haven't been to Bricktown since maybe '96 or '97. Can't believe how much it has changed. Looking forward to exploring.

swake
05-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Is anyone under the impression that this place is a bad idea?

I mean come on, OKC needs an urban hip downtown, Bass Pro and Toby Keith are not that.

I hear you are finally getting a wine bar downtown and the Skyy place is doing well, those are what you want, not a "road house".

Luke
05-22-2005, 01:44 PM
While many may prefer an urban NYC "style" in Bricktown, OKC can't deny it's outdoorsman and country roots. I think the confluence of these two typically contrasting styles make OKC's Bricktown a unique, eclectic entertainment district all it's own.

jenncole
05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Bass Pro and Toby Keith are good for Bricktown.

You have to realize Bricktown is still growing you we cannot expect to attract more real things there til we can get some more names into Bricktown.

Right now, Bricktown or even OKC cannot support urban NYC "style" things. Gotta start small and then work our way up.

Curt
05-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Bass Pro and Toby Keith are good for Bricktown.

You have to realize Bricktown is still growing you we cannot expect to attract more real things there til we can get some more names into Bricktown.

Right now, Bricktown or even OKC cannot support urban NYC "style" things. Gotta start small and then work our way up.
Just please dont become another NYC. OKC is unique and fine the way it is, keeps me comming back the way it is.

floater
05-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Guys, you have to remember that swake participates in TulsaNow, where condescension toward OKC is the rule. NYC was a throw-in to imply that downtown OKC is not hip. Even swake knows that NYC is not a perfect model of urbanity.

Bricktown and Lower Bricktown for the most part do offer the kinds of establishments NYC boasts -- cool lounges like Lit, fine restaurants such as The Mantel, even a Mickey Mantle's. Of course we don't have them on a similar scale -- OKC is a smaller city, like the rest of American cities. But we do have them and they must be supported.

My only concern about ILTB&G is what will happen to it once Toby's star fades. But if it continues to book topnotch talent and serve great food, it can have a vibrant life beyond TK's celebrity. Hopefully the Hal Smith organization has a plan to ensure its longevity.

Curt
05-23-2005, 05:33 AM
Why would OKC even want to be like NYC. I would not set foot in NYC, OKC, stay the way you are, your doing fine, take that from a "BIG" city person. I think Toby Keiths road house fits right in and I cant wait to see it someday.

metro
05-23-2005, 11:37 PM
yes swake, I take it you have not been to downtown OKC recently?? Downtown boasts many cool-urbanite hipster spots. Lit, the Purple bar, Nonna's Euro-Ristorante, Museum Cafe, Cocktails on the Skyline, SKYYBar, the former Lotus, the Beacon Club, Deep Deuce, many lofts, the Montgomery, the Classen, Cosmopolitan Salon and Spa, Museum of Art, Civic Center, Stage Center, Bricktown Live, the new ultra mod library, and many others including some "underground" bars and clubs that have yet to be announced. A group of us twentysomethings have ultra hip wine tastings, gatherings, etc. at minimum twice a month. We also have tons of additional downtown housing and condos on the way. Additionally, OKC has something NYC cannot offer, a quaint more relaxed setting for those who are not hipsters who prefer a more relaxed conservative entertainment experience such as TKILTBG and Bass Pro and the Theater. Bricktown and downtown OKC, just like NYC on a smaller scale, is a multifaceted place for all walks of life.

Keith
05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
yes swake, I take it you have not been to downtown OKC recently?? Downtown boasts many cool-urbanite hipster spots. Lit, the Purple bar, Nonna's Euro-Ristorante, Museum Cafe, Cocktails on the Skyline, SKYYBar, the former Lotus, the Beacon Club, Deep Deuce, many lofts, the Montgomery, the Classen, Cosmopolitan Salon and Spa, Museum of Art, Civic Center, Stage Center, Bricktown Live, the new ultra mod library, and many others including some "underground" bars and clubs that have yet to be announced. A group of us twentysomethings have ultra hip wine tastings, gatherings, etc. at minimum twice a month. We also have tons of additional downtown housing and condos on the way. Additionally, OKC has something NYC cannot offer, a quaint more relaxed setting for those who are not hipsters who prefer a more relaxed conservative entertainment experience such as TKILTBG and Bass Pro and the Theater. Bricktown and downtown OKC, just like NYC on a smaller scale, is a multifaceted place for all walks of life.
Very well put, metro...thanks.

swake
05-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Guys, you have to remember that swake participates in TulsaNow, where condescension toward OKC is the rule. NYC was a throw-in to imply that downtown OKC is not hip. Even swake knows that NYC is not a perfect model of urbanity.

Bricktown and Lower Bricktown for the most part do offer the kinds of establishments NYC boasts -- cool lounges like Lit, fine restaurants such as The Mantel, even a Mickey Mantle's. Of course we don't have them on a similar scale -- OKC is a smaller city, like the rest of American cities. But we do have them and they must be supported.

My only concern about ILTB&G is what will happen to it once Toby's star fades. But if it continues to book topnotch talent and serve great food, it can have a vibrant life beyond TK's celebrity. Hopefully the Hal Smith organization has a plan to ensure its longevity.

I never said anything about NYC, that wasn't me. As for the rest, I stand by the idea that Toby Keith is viewed by a vast majority of Americans as a hick and his restaurant and Bass Pro are bad ideas when you are attempting to escape an entrenched image. And anyone that calls themselves ultrahip, isn't

Curt
05-24-2005, 08:11 PM
It is the things like Toby keith and Bass pro shops that keep this big city boy comming back to OKC, so Swake, you have no idea what you are talking about. Come to Detroit, they will chew you up and spit you out, but I guess that is the kind of big city **** you want OKC to be like.

jenncole
05-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Be proud of what we have in OKC OR stand up and really try to do something about it. I do not mean attend a few city council meetings or somethin like that, really become a leader and not a constant complainer. (that includes everyone, not anybody in particular)

BDP
05-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I think some miss the point of criticisms of Keith's place and Bass Pro. I am sure they are fine establishments, but they are an odd fit. They are inspired by suburban developments and not by their neighboring Bricktown. Both would be great fits for I-240 and Memorial or, especially for Keith's place, Reno and Meridian, but almost seem to be mocking Bricktown at their current locations.

The mentioning of NYC is kind of irrelevant. OKC is not going to be that, nor should it try. However, some of the larger developers and especially those in Bricktown have been content to simply repackage things already offered in OKC. If we have to weather this stuff to get traffic, then so be it. But Oklahoma City leaders seemed convinced that the only way to generate traffic is to give the people what they already know and already have in a shiny new package. We'll never know otherwise, because nothing else has ever been tried.

But one can only look the emergence of Dallas's unique and original businesses in Deep Ellum that made it a stronger entertainment force than its mundane and rather staid area on the other side of town, the West End. One only needs to go to the two places and realize that, while the West End seems familiar and prefab, Deep Ellum seems uniquely Dallas and warrants repeat visits more so than the “been there done that” feel of the West End.

So, yes, the Lower Bricktown establishments draw traffic (I myself go to Harkins for movies all the time), but I also can understand the frustrations of some who hoped that Lower Bricktown would be an expansion of Bricktown's uniqueness, as opposed to a rehash of developments already present all over the city. It’s not about being NYC, but about bringing new things and new experiences to Oklahoma City, which is the only way to locals a reason to visit the area and to get visitors to come back.

In my mind, it's still possible, but there is little indication that developers want that. They simply want to take advantage of the draw of Bricktown’s uniqueness, but do nothing to add to it or participate in it.

ccsokc
06-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know that I drove by Toby Keith's Restaurant this afternoon and there is sign posted saying it will open June 22 and 3 PM daily. I am assuming this means it will be open only for Dinner to probably 2 AM, since it is part bar. News9 did a story on it last week and showed some updated pictures....It looks like it will make a very nice addition to Bricktown, and will kind of be our "Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe" type restaurant/anchor for Bricktown, at least for the time being. I personally would rather have Toby's restaurant then a Hard Rock...there everywhere you go now of days.

Patrick
06-07-2005, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about his star fading. Branson seems to do pretty well with faded stars. I wouldn't mind seeing us become the Branson of Country music. We'll never steal new talent from Tennessee, but we have a shot at attracting some of the retired singers. Of course, Branson already has a few of those, but we can compete. Branson seems to be more diversified when it comes to music and entertainment.

By the way, people don't view Tennessee as hickish, so I don't think country music really has anything to do with our image. I think it's our people that create that image.

swake
06-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Which people don't view Tennessee as hickish? I would say that outside of Memphis, Tennessee is very much viewed as a hick state. And Branson would be the very center of hickdom.

Luke
06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Tennessee isn't so much "hick" as it is "hillbilly"

Tulsa has hills, too. ;)