View Full Version : OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

gjl
08-03-2014, 01:07 PM
If they returned that amount back or more in value for what they are being compensated, then no. Why would that be bad.

venture
08-03-2014, 01:45 PM
If they returned that amount back or more in value for what they are being compensated, then no. Why would that be bad.

Okay, so what amount of value being returned would be sufficient? Marsha Slaughter, director of utilities for OKC, makes around $160,000 a year. Should she get a pay increase up over a few million a year? She is leading a public utility after all - that just happens to be operated by the city.

How do you measure how much value a person is returning back to a community?

gjl
08-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Oh so you just want to play gotcha. Go find someone else to play with. That is not my area of expertise, but I'm sure the people who negotiate her salary are equipped to determine the value Marsha Slaughter returns for her compensation just like the board of directors for OG&E is able to determine their CEO's compensation vs the value he returns, just like the Ram's owner is able to determine Sam Bradford's compensation vs the value he returns. And if Marsha Slaughter thinks her value is more than she is being paid then she is free to sell her value elsewhere.

s00nr1
08-03-2014, 02:09 PM
High rate of 19c on Monday -- forecast high of 89.

venture
08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Oh so you just want to play gotcha. Go find someone else to play with. That is not my area of expertise, but I'm sure the people who negotiate her salary are equipped to determine the value Marsha Slaughter returns for her compensation just like the board of directors for OG&E is able to determine their CEO's compensation vs the value he returns, just like the Ram's owner is able to determine Sam Bradford's compensation vs the value he returns. And if Marsha Slaughter thinks her value is more than she is being paid then she is free to sell her value elsewhere.

Play gotcha? Not at all. If you've paid attention, which you apparently haven't for whatever reason, I've always advocated that public utilities and guaranteed monopolies of utilities should be be a pure for profit operation. Sure enough to cover expenses and have funds to fix things when needed (and build for future capacity), but not to where things are excessive. If we want utilities to operate as regular for profit operations, then we need to have a completely deregulated and open market for anyone to compete in.

I have no problem for someone shopping themselves to get the most compensation someone is willing to pay for them. However, when it comes to costs in dealing with a utility, why shouldn't they be held in check and with in reason? I haven't read anywhere that OG&E was projecting a loss, yet they needed to raise rates on everyone? Their net profit usually sky rockets in the summer, which is also when they are claiming their fuel costs are high as well. So anyway...

What value is being returned to customers of a utility that as a legalized monopoly when rates are being raised and executives are paid very well?

gjl
08-03-2014, 02:45 PM
When it comes to OG&E, 99.99999999999999999% of the time when I flip a switch or plug something in, there is all electricity there I want to use for what I feel is a fair price what they are charging me on residential flat rate billing. I don't need smart hours to save the price of a big gulp a day. If that means they have to pay their employees what they do from their CEO to their line men who keep everything flowing, that is fine with me. Doesn't matter to me that they are a public utility or not. If you want to share in the value they are providing, buy their stock. If you feel they are ripping you off, call them and have them pull your meter.

And you always have to start with the insult don't you.

venture
08-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Critical day tomorrow for those that want to know.

venture
08-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Another Critical on Friday. :)

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
19 cents tomorrow but I expect they'll call a critical event every day this week. How many are they limited to again?

120 hours per summer.

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 06:56 PM
I can't imagine living worrying about what my electricity is going to cost on a daily basis.

Because leaving your head in the sand about your energy use/costs is such a better plan. Let me not think about how much I drive or what gasoline costs while I'm at it.

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 07:01 PM
That isn't exactly how it works. .you program the thermostat.. they can only move it 5 degrees from what you have it set to. and if they do move it.. you can move it back to where you want it. even in a Critical price time they haven't moved mine to higher than 75 Degrees.. and I simply move it back to 72. I know to some that sounds like a HUGE amount of work.

The thermostat only does what you program it to do. YOU tell it how much you want the temp to increase during peak events. You can make it go up as many as 9 degrees or not all all. It's all in how you set the conservation/price response. The thermostat responds to energy price, not what "OGE wants it set at".

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Do any of you have a pool and are on smart hours? if so, assuming you adjust the timing of the pumps and chlorine generator (salt water pool) for off-peak times, has that had any affect on the water quality? I generally run my pump/generator from 10:00am to 8:00pm, mainly because the sun eats up the chlorine the most during those times and I've had great water quality. I'm not sure if it would make much difference running only on off-peak times.

Also, if you have two A/C units, do you get two smart thermostats? I currently have a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat downstairs that I can control and program from my cellphone, but just a plain old thermostat upstairs. I was thinking about replacing the upstairs thermostat with something like I have downstairs and linking them. Could you do this with the OG&E thermostats?

I think that's enough off-topic questions from me for today. :wink:

You can order up to as many thermstats as you have AC systems. If you have 2 systems and only want 1 stat, just order 1 stat. The thermostats CANNOT be linked to other thermostats (at least not officially).

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Yep. Just called and cancelled after that rate increase. Being constantly uncomfortable isn't worth saving a measly .02 cents a kWh.

Standard rates also went higher, doubt you will save anything by "switching back". Check the "how can i save" page on myogepower.

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 07:13 PM
When it comes to OG&E, 99.99999999999999999% of the time when I flip a switch or plug something in, there is all electricity there I want to use for what I feel is a fair price what they are charging me on residential flat rate billing. I don't need smart hours to save the price of a big gulp a day. If that means they have to pay their employees what they do from their CEO to their line men who keep everything flowing, that is fine with me. Doesn't matter to me that they are a public utility or not. If you want to share in the value they are providing, buy their stock. If you feel they are ripping you off, call them and have them pull your meter.

And you always have to start with the insult don't you.

Care to share with the rest of the group what your 'fair price' for electricity is?
The bottom line is know your total KWH per year, know your total COST per year. Get the plan that gives you the lowest cost for the power you use.
Would you buy gas w/o knowing the price at the pump or the number of gallons you bought?

Servicetech571
08-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Smarthours does save. 1600sqft family of 4. 75f off peak, 80f on peak.

Not sure why the attachments come out blurry, but the bill was $77 for July 2014

bombermwc
08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Is someone actually arguing that it doesn't save money? It will for sure save you money overall...there is absolutely zero question about that no matter who you are. Even if you're at home all day long.

The question is, based on the settings you put into that thermostat (and you HAVE to use OG&E's to be able to make use of the auto adjustments on pricing), if that higher temperature is worth the savings you get. The prices can change multiple times during peak hours ( I saw 4 times as a max while I was in the program). So simply saying you'll manually adjust it every day and not take their free thermostat (which you never have to return, even if you leave the program) doesn't really work. There are so many things it takes into account as it decides the set point of your house that the fancy ones at Lowe's or whatever cannot do because they do not link to your meter.

That being said, I strongly strongly strongly hated the program by the time I got out. sweating my balls off wasn't worth the savings I was seeing because of continued increases in rates for peak time. Mainly, the standard peak-time cost. I was still saving money, but I'd just simply rather pay more and be a comfy 74 than a balls hot 78-79 at those hottest parts of the day....and be able to run my washing machine/dishwasher/oven/etc without having to worry about what it would do. AND the number of months the program ran turned me off. If it were simply july-sep, ok fine. But being June-Oct....nope, not gonna happen for me. That's basically the entire AC year and that's not going to work for me. But that's me....that's not everyone.

I saw a $172 bill this month, which is my highest of the year every year. That's with wife/kids at home during the summer. My Smart Hours bill for the same period last year was about 130. So yeah it saved money, but I personally would rather pay 50 more and not have to walk around in my undies for 3 hours.

ylouder
08-11-2014, 09:11 AM
I read their responses and thought - misery loves company.

I agree it isn't worth the headache or hassle. If I want to adjust my lifestyle and save some real money each month it's by driving the speed limit or stop eating out.

But having a power company (whose ceo was paid over 12 million last year... ) dictate what I should do 5 hours a day/5 days (25 hours a week - 100 hours a month) or pay him even more money as a penalty...He could take the 40 dollars in 'savings' and shove it.

You think he would let me control the temp in his house .40 cents an day?

BBatesokc
08-11-2014, 10:12 AM
The question is, based on the settings you put into that thermostat (and you HAVE to use OG&E's to be able to make use of the auto adjustments on pricing), if that higher temperature is worth the savings you get.

Two things here.... One, you only need to use OG&E's thermostat if you want the maximum savings regardless of comfort level. Second, unless your comfort level dictates you must keep your house at 64 degrees 24/7 then you're going to see savings even if you don't raise the temp of your home during high and critical price times.

If you leave your thermostat at 78 degrees regardless of the price - you will save money on the SmartHours program vs. not being on the program and not suffer any 'ball sweating' discomfort. Will you save as much as if you let the smart thermostat set the temp? Probably not, but that doesn't mean you can't set it where YOU want it and still not save money.

I've never understood people whose argument is "I don't want to sweat just to save a few bucks." Only the nah-sayers claim this. I keep my thermostat on the same spot during the day regardless of the price and I still save money. Would I save more if I moved it to 80-82 degrees - probably, but I'm fine with the savings I get now.

Servicetech571
08-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Two things here.... One, you only need to use OG&E's thermostat if you want the maximum savings regardless of comfort level. Second, unless your comfort level dictates you must keep your house at 64 degrees 24/7 then you're going to see savings even if you don't raise the temp of your home during high and critical price times.

If you leave your thermostat at 78 degrees regardless of the price - you will save money on the SmartHours program vs. not being on the program and not suffer any 'ball sweating' discomfort. Will you save as much as if you let the smart thermostat set the temp? Probably not, but that doesn't mean you can't set it where YOU want it and still not save money.

I've never understood people whose argument is "I don't want to sweat just to save a few bucks." Only the nah-sayers claim this. I keep my thermostat on the same spot during the day regardless of the price and I still save money. Would I save more if I moved it to 80-82 degrees - probably, but I'm fine with the savings I get now.

Simply not running the dryer or dishwasher from 2-7pm will save most people $10-$20/mo.

Servicetech571
08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Is someone actually arguing that it doesn't save money? It will for sure save you money overall...there is absolutely zero question about that no matter who you are. Even if you're at home all day long.

The question is, based on the settings you put into that thermostat (and you HAVE to use OG&E's to be able to make use of the auto adjustments on pricing), if that higher temperature is worth the savings you get. The prices can change multiple times during peak hours ( I saw 4 times as a max while I was in the program). So simply saying you'll manually adjust it every day and not take their free thermostat (which you never have to return, even if you leave the program) doesn't really work. There are so many things it takes into account as it decides the set point of your house that the fancy ones at Lowe's or whatever cannot do because they do not link to your meter.

That being said, I strongly strongly strongly hated the program by the time I got out. sweating my balls off wasn't worth the savings I was seeing because of continued increases in rates for peak time. Mainly, the standard peak-time cost. I was still saving money, but I'd just simply rather pay more and be a comfy 74 than a balls hot 78-79 at those hottest parts of the day....and be able to run my washing machine/dishwasher/oven/etc without having to worry about what it would do. AND the number of months the program ran turned me off. If it were simply july-sep, ok fine. But being June-Oct....nope, not gonna happen for me. That's basically the entire AC year and that's not going to work for me. But that's me....that's not everyone.

I saw a $172 bill this month, which is my highest of the year every year. That's with wife/kids at home during the summer. My Smart Hours bill for the same period last year was about 130. So yeah it saved money, but I personally would rather pay 50 more and not have to walk around in my undies for 3 hours.

Would you mind looking up the "how can I save" tab on your myogepower page? How much more would smarthours have cost you with your current use habits?

zookeeper
08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
If I ate less - even when I'm hungry - my food bill would be less.
If I drove less - even when I really wanted to go somewhere - my gas bill would be less.
If I didn't go to the movies - when there are many I want to see, but don't - my entertainment costs would be lower.
If I let my grass die - even when I want it green - my water bill would be less.
If I turn the thermostat up - even when I would rather be cooler - my electric bill would be less.

This isn't rocket science. It may lower my bill, but at a trade-off I'm not willing to make.

I also agree with everything ylouder wrote. But, Brian makes good points and it really comes down to personal preference and comfort threshold. Personal choices.

Servicetech571
08-12-2014, 05:27 AM
If I ate less - even when I'm hungry - my food bill would be less.
If I drove less - even when I really wanted to go somewhere - my gas bill would be less.
If I didn't go to the movies - when there are many I want to see, but don't - my entertainment costs would be lower.
If I let my grass die - even when I want it green - my water bill would be less.
If I turn the thermostat up - even when I would rather be cooler - my electric bill would be less.

This isn't rocket science. It may lower my bill, but at a trade-off I'm not willing to make.

I also agree with everything ylouder wrote. But, Brian makes good points and it really comes down to personal preference and comfort threshold. Personal choices.

If kept doing the same things you have been doing would you be better off with smarthours? Click the "how can I save" tab and check. No sense in paying MORE for the same exact electricity. If "how can I save" shows you're better off at standard rates, stay with them.

ylouder
08-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Are you paid per post?

I went back through the thread and you are posting links to oge website, posting oge's customer service number, instructions for enrolling, telling people they will save, telling people to post screen shots of their bills and website screen shots, telling people to try it out or explain why they don't want to sign up...

Seems kinda like the recorded comcast employee phone call where he repeatedly demanded that the customer justify why they didn't want the service.

Some people would prefer to know before hand how much they will be charged per day for electricity instead of constantly reacting day by day whatever the company decides to set it at.

Below is just quotes from the last 3 pages -

ylouder
08-12-2014, 07:05 AM
If kept doing the same things you have been doing would you be better off with smarthours? Click the "how can I save" tab and check. No sense in paying MORE for the same exact electricity. If "how can I save" shows you're better off at standard rates, stay with them.

Some of us don't have that kind of money to throw away on being wasteful with electricity.

Looks like an easy $100 to me.

OG&E Guaranteed Flat Billing, Anybody Have It?

the entire $160 is over a 4 month period (smarthours is only a summer program), so a little over a $1/day. The $160 savings is for the stuff YOU ARE ALREADY DOING, you would save more by shifting use off of the peak hours/raising temp/etc. You basically overpaid OGE $160 over the last 12 months by NOT being on the program

Yes, you can switch back and forth each billing cycle if you like.

However, in order to use the 1st year guarantee you need to be on for 12 months continuous.

120 hours per summer.

Because leaving your head in the sand about your energy use/costs is such a better plan

The thermostat only does what you program it to do. YOU tell it how much you want the temp to increase during peak events. You can make it go up as many as 9 degrees or not all all. It's all in how you set the conservation/price response. The thermostat responds to energy price, not what "OGE wants it set at".

You can order up to as many thermstats as you have AC systems. If you have 2 systems and only want 1 stat, just order 1 stat. The thermostats CANNOT be linked to other thermostats (at least not officially).

standard rates also went higher, doubt you will save anything by "switching back". Check the "how can i save" page on myogepower

Care to share with the rest of the group what your 'fair price' for electricity is?

The bottom line is know your total KWH per year, know your total COST per year. Get the plan that gives you the lowest cost for the power you use.

Smarthours does save. 1600sqft family of 4. 75f off peak, 80f on peak.

Simply not running the dryer or dishwasher from 2-7pm will save most people $10-$20/mo.

Would you mind looking up the "how can I save" tab on your myogepower page? How much more would smarthours have cost you with your current use habits?

bombermwc
08-12-2014, 07:42 AM

That's entirely my point my friend. It's a balance between what you're willing to give up in comfort, compared to the savings you'll get from that discomfort. Each of us have a different tipping point. And like I said, I always saved money, but I'm willing to pay more to keep the level of comfort I had. For my family, that means a lower set point than yours. I'm not arguing, in fact I think you said the same exact thing I did. The point is, some people (like myself) became unhappy with the amount of savings we saw in comparison to what we perceive as discomfort. MOST (not all) people have to alter their lifestyle some in order to see the savings. Either they delay when they run appliances or turn the thermostat up. For some people it's a 100% win because they get home later or they keep the house warmer anyway. Those folks are going to see much higher savings (which is where im guessing you sit). It all depends on how you live and the choices you make (like so many things in life). But you also shouldn't disregard people who have left the program because of these reasons as nay-sayers. It's just a simple concept that for some people, it was not an attractive program. That doesn't mean they didn't save money. It's just like people that choose to go to Target and pay more, just so they don't have to go to WalMart.

Jim Kyle
08-12-2014, 09:21 AM
That's entirely my point my friend. It's a balance between what you're willing to give up in comfort, compared to the savings you'll get from that discomfort. Each of us have a different tipping point.While I have no love at all for OG&E, or any other utility monopoly for that matter, I don't see the sense of paying them more than I have to while keeping the same degree of comfort. Paying only half as much for 19 of the 24 hours in the day, and nominally the "normal" rate for the other five, looks like a no-brainer. Even though they (as they seem to be doing this year) run the cost up to double for those five hours, that increase spread over the other 19 still comes out to be less money. And there's a definite legal limit on the number of hours they're allowed to bump up to four times the normal rate.

Of course, those of us who want to save even more can do so by moving our other high-usage tasks such as drying clothes or using an electric stove to the times when the cost is lowest, even without changing the thermostat settings at all. And if you reject their "free" thermostat, you retain full control of the settings.

Certainly the utility would not spend money promoting the program unless they felt they had something to gain by doing so. However it's barely possible that their "gain" might be simply the delay of any need to increase generating capacity, or to buy power from the successors of Enron to meet their legal requirements. Unlike career politicians, businesses sometimes find it useful to tell the truth...

Servicetech571
08-12-2014, 07:27 PM
That's entirely my point my friend. It's a balance between what you're willing to give up in comfort, compared to the savings you'll get from that discomfort. Each of us have a different tipping point. And like I said, I always saved money, but I'm willing to pay more to keep the level of comfort I had. For my family, that means a lower set point than yours. I'm not arguing, in fact I think you said the same exact thing I did. The point is, some people (like myself) became unhappy with the amount of savings we saw in comparison to what we perceive as discomfort. MOST (not all) people have to alter their lifestyle some in order to see the savings. Either they delay when they run appliances or turn the thermostat up. For some people it's a 100% win because they get home later or they keep the house warmer anyway. Those folks are going to see much higher savings (which is where im guessing you sit). It all depends on how you live and the choices you make (like so many things in life). But you also shouldn't disregard people who have left the program because of these reasons as nay-sayers. It's just a simple concept that for some people, it was not an attractive program. That doesn't mean they didn't save money. It's just like people that choose to go to Target and pay more, just so they don't have to go to WalMart.

Would you mind posting your 'how can I save" numbers? I'd like to know if Smarthours really does cost more if people don't follow the program. I've seen one "how can I save" posting where it cost $3 more over the entire summer for not following the program. If being on smarthours really can cost money for those not wanting to sacrifice comfort I'd like to see the numbers. Then the question becomes how much stuff do you have to do in order to come out ahead with smarthours vs. fixed rate pricing.

I'm with Jim, there are savings to be had with Smarthours vs. fixed rates even if you don't touch the thermostat. FWIW you can LOCK IN the 2-7pm rate from 2-7pm weekdays @ 19 cents and still get the 6 cents off peak pricing. No 43 cent days, but no 6 or 10 cent days either.

Servicetech571
08-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Are you paid per post?

I went back through the thread and you are posting links to oge website, posting oge's customer service number, instructions for enrolling, telling people they will save, telling people to post screen shots of their bills and website screen shots, telling people to try it out or explain why they don't want to sign up...

Seems kinda like the recorded comcast employee phone call where he repeatedly demanded that the customer justify why they didn't want the service.

Some people would prefer to know before hand how much they will be charged per day for electricity instead of constantly reacting day by day whatever the company decides to set it at.

Below is just quotes from the last 3 pages -

Why are you even here if you aren't on the program and aren't willing to share FACTS of why Smarthours is more expensive? Lets talk NUMBERS.

Electric isn't the only thing I target. Tried doing one on ONG last winter, but most people didn't want to share use data. Most just want to complain the ONG is "ripping them off" without sharing actual use data. Then there is the whole cell phone thing, contracts that basically scam people into overpaying for service to get a "free phone". How about TV services? Talk about paying way too much for what 90% is JUNK !!!

BBatesokc
08-13-2014, 04:42 AM

You sort of touched on a point I'd love to see studied....... I do firmly believe that Smart Hours savings are not just the pricing structure. I believe that when you make the effort to signup for Smart Hours and are constantly reminded of the changing rates that you are conditioned to actually take notice and change your behavior (which I think is a good thing). I believe a lot of the savings is simply because users become more proactive and aware while on Smart Hours - its not a sign up and forget it program. You make adjustments from 2-7pm weekdays, you don't let the kids run in and out the front door so often, you learn you don't need the house at 64 degrees, you don't run the dishwasher or clothes washer as often, and you overall become more aware of your energy use. This plus the lower rates for most of the day is what creates the noticeable savings.

Those not on the program (IMO) tend to set it and forget it.

I know that since I've been on the program I've become more energy aware and I'm glad. I also know that if I gave up the program I would still save over my bills years ago, because I'm simply more mindful of my energy use.

Another great program (can't remember if I mentioned it or not) is OG&E's weatherization audit service (don't remember what they actually call it). The person renting/buying a house of ours had it done and I house-sat while they were doing the work. The made two visits and spent a good 6 hours at ZERO cost to me or the renter/buyer. The literally did a vacuum test on the doors and insulated all kinds of things - even under the sink. Excellent program from my perspective.

bombermwc
08-13-2014, 08:07 AM
That same sort of thought is becoming more and more common in health insurance with Consumer Driven Health Plans (CDHP). Those are usually high-deductible plans with a Health Savings Account (HSA). The thought being, just like you said BBates, when you are forced to look at it more closely, you're more likely to be conscious of how to spend it. You know that with the higher deductible, it's going to cost you more to do a procedure, so you might put it off or not go to the doctor for something that's not a big deal. In healthcare, I personally feel like it just makes things worse because you delay going in and the problem ends up much bigger because you couldn't afford that deductible overhead...but I digress. But I agree, when you are given more information and the price is tied to how you behave, people GENERALLY alter their behavior to save money.

ServiceTech - since I'm out of the program, I don't really want to go through all the number crunching again. After 2.5 seasons of the program, I got a good enough feeling for my particular case to know what I wanted to do, which was leave. So far, I'm still happy with the decision, even though it means a higher bill now. I don't do average billing either. Why? Because it really turns out to average out between gas/electric between summer/winter. I've always been more of a "pay for what you used" kind of guy and never really cared for averaging systems....again, just me.

ctchandler
08-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Bombermwc,
I didn't start averaging till I retired, knowing I would be on a fixed income. I'm not poor, but I ain't rich either and it's just easier to budget. You are correct, nature provides a natural sort of averaging, but it isn't as consistent as using the system. Before I retired, I really considered the lower bills of the fall as a sort of Christmas savings account, because the lower fall/winter bills left more money for Christmas shopping. I suppose it's whatever works at the time, you may want to average through the utility someday, and it's nice to have the option.
C. T.
I don't do average billing either. Why? Because it really turns out to average out between gas/electric between summer/winter. I've always been more of a "pay for what you used" kind of guy and never really cared for averaging systems....again, just me.

Servicetech571
08-13-2014, 06:21 PM
ServiceTech - since I'm out of the program, I don't really want to go through all the number crunching again. After 2.5 seasons of the program, I got a good enough feeling for my particular case to know what I wanted to do, which was leave. So far, I'm still happy with the decision, even though it means a higher bill now.

I'm not suggesting to recrunch/recalculate numbers, just click the "how can I save" tab on the myogepower website. If Smarthours does cost more for those who don't follow the plan it should show up there. I'm curious to how much extra Smarthours costs vs. fixed rates if you don't follow OGE's recommendations.

SSEiYah
08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Critical Price Alert for tomorrow 8/19.

Our estimated costs are $140 for our bill where as the "average" shows $227. In the last 10 days on this billing period we have used 698kw costing $57 so far, so an around 8.3 cents per kw hour. This is with all the fees and what not.

Servicetech571
08-19-2014, 05:01 AM
Critical Price Alert for tomorrow 8/19.

Our estimated costs are $140 for our bill where as the "average" shows $227. In the last 10 days on this billing period we have used 698kw costing $57 so far, so an around 8.3 cents per kw hour. This is with all the fees and what not.

Were at $53 for 536KWH so far this month, estimated bill $79. About 10 cents per KWH taxes/fees included... "How can I save" tab showing a $104 savings ($883 vs $779) per summer. We're not as aggressive as some with "2-7pm shutdown", but $104 is $104...

s00nr1
09-02-2014, 05:42 PM
High of 94 tomorrow so let's go ahead and make it another critical price event.

venture
09-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Another one today. LOL They are really trying to get the revenue in for this quarter before the month ends. :)

okclee
09-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Another one today. LOL They are really trying to get the revenue in for this quarter before the month ends. :)

95 is the new 100 ....... I'm sure OGE financial dept isn't very happy that OKC had near record low number of triple digit heat temps this summer.

BBatesokc
09-04-2014, 10:26 AM

I get the cynicism and all regarding Critical Days being called in 90-something degree weather - but, in all honesty - I'd much rather OG&E use up their critical days on milder days when there is little chance my air is going to kick on anyway.

I don't bump my thermostat up because they've called a critical day and yesterday my air never even cycled on during the peak period because I had already pre-cooled to 72 degrees. I sat at 75/76 all afternoon.

s00nr1
09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
I'd rather they not use them at all :)

Filthy
09-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I sat at 75/76 all afternoon.

And that's why several people have stated, that different people have different tolerances, in regards to comfort vs. saving a few dollars. No way in hell, I could be comfortable with it being 75 in my house.

ctchandler
09-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Filthy,
Interesting, what temperature are you comfortable with? My thermostat is never programmed at less than 76. Once in a while with several people in the house or when I'm particularly active (not too often at my age), I change the programmed setting to 75 or even 74 and I'm always comfortable. And I'm retired and at home a lot and I won't be uncomfortable. I have to admit, I wear a t-shirt and light pants/sweat pants most of the time at home, maybe that's the difference.
C. T.
And that's why several people have stated, that different people have different tolerances, in regards to comfort vs. saving a few dollars. No way in hell, I could be comfortable with it being 75 in my house.

BBatesokc
09-04-2014, 08:22 PM

75 not comfortable? You realize air conditioned homes and cars haven't been around all that long ......

ctchandler
09-04-2014, 08:44 PM
BBatesokc,
Actually, they have but most folks couldn't afford them. I believe air conditioned cars came out in the early 50's and I had a few friends that had air conditioned homes in the early 50's as well. My first air conditioned car was a 1967 Pontiac and my first central air conditioned home was 1969, so in reality, you are absolutely correct. Most of the folks I grew up with didn't have the luxury until the mid to late 60's.
C. T.
75 not comfortable? You realize air conditioned homes and cars haven't been around all that long ......

Servicetech571
09-05-2014, 05:19 AM
I'm really considering switching to the "fixed peak" of 19 cents 2-7pm. It's called TOU rate instead of VPP. It seems OG&E is calling more 43 cent peaks while having less 6 and 10 cent afternoons. Normally in June they do call quite a few 6/10 cent afternoons, perhaps switching for the July 2015 billing cycle is the way to go. I'll have to pull my "how can I save" tab at the end of the season and do a comparison. If we have a HOT summer in 2015 TOU may prove to have the lowest overall energy cost vs. KWH used. Currently I'm at $13 advantage for having VPP (Smarthours) vs. TOU:

Servicetech571
09-05-2014, 05:22 AM

He probably has humidity problems in his house and has to drop the temp for humidity relief. If the AC isn't running near "wide open" to keep the house 75f inside while it's 98f outside it's probably oversized and not running long enough to properly pull the water out of the air. It's his $200+ electric bill to pay, not mine...

Filthy
09-05-2014, 07:43 AM
He probably has humidity problems in his house and has to drop the temp for humidity relief. If the AC isn't running near "wide open" to keep the house 75f inside while it's 98f outside it's probably oversized and not running long enough to properly pull the water out of the air. It's his $200+ electric bill to pay, not mine...

I appreciate the incompetent response. My home was built in 2013, using some of the latest energy efficient technology/materials. If anything, it was "over engineered" as it was a point of emphasis, when My wife and I designed the house. So, no...there aren't any moisture issues. Both of my thermostats stay at 70 throughout the year, because that's what temperature I want it set at. I want my home to be crisp and cool/cold at all times. I know it might be a difficult thing for you to comprehend, but l'll do my best to slow it down for you.... different people have different preferences in regards to comfort level. For me personally..its 70-72 degrees. And, a $200 electric bill? I would throw a block party in celebration of a $200 electric bill.

Martin
09-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I appreciate the incompetent response. My home was built in 2013, using some of the latest energy efficient technology/materials. If anything, it was "over engineered" as it was a point of emphasis, when My wife and I designed the house. So, no...there aren't any moisture issues. Both of my thermostats stay at 70 throughout the year, because that's what temperature I want it set at. I want my home to be crisp and cool/cold at all times. I know it might be a difficult thing for you to comprehend, but l'll do my best to slow it down for you.... different people have different preferences in regards to comfort level. And, a $200 electric bill? I would throw a block party in celebration of a $200 electric bill.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

bombermwc
09-05-2014, 08:40 AM
He makes the point clearly though. As I've said many times, everyone has a different threshold of what they are willing to pay for comfort. My biggest electric bill of the year just came in at 200 with no smart hours and it had a higher utilization than last year at the same time. So, had I been on smart hours, the temp would have been adjusted up to save on the AC running, thus some savings. For me, I'm happy to pay the extra 20-30 bucks on the August usage because it kept me from being uncomfortable. For Filthy, he wants it 70 year-round, so he pays for it to be 70 year-round. So what? He's probably a person that smart hours would not be a good decision for...moving on.

ylouder
09-05-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm glad summer is nearing its end so i dont have to read service tech asking yet another person to 'post a screen shot' or click on ' how i can save'.

If he was generating his own electricity through wind or solar panels it would be interesting and informative - but switching back and forth between schemes / not cooling your house during the heat of the day to get a few dollars back from the only power monopoly in town isnt worth the time.

Servicetech571
09-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I appreciate the incompetent response. My home was built in 2013, using some of the latest energy efficient technology/materials. If anything, it was "over engineered" as it was a point of emphasis, when My wife and I designed the house. So, no...there aren't any moisture issues. Both of my thermostats stay at 70 throughout the year, because that's what temperature I want it set at. I want my home to be crisp and cool/cold at all times. I know it might be a difficult thing for you to comprehend, but l'll do my best to slow it down for you.... different people have different preferences in regards to comfort level. For me personally..its 70-72 degrees. And, a $200 electric bill? I would throw a block party in celebration of a $200 electric bill.

House built in 2013 with the latest energy efficient materials and your bill is still $200+? If you don't mind giving the monopoly $200+ a month, I'm sure the shareholders appreciate your prompt payment .

Crank down that AC so it will run and get that humidity out, because it doesn't run long enough to properly dehumidify with the AC set at 75f. It's not a matter of wanting to be 'crisp/cold' at all times since you also have a 70f heating setpoint.

Servicetech571
09-05-2014, 04:41 PM
He makes the point clearly though. As I've said many times, everyone has a different threshold of what they are willing to pay for comfort. My biggest electric bill of the year just came in at 200 with no smart hours and it had a higher utilization than last year at the same time. So, had I been on smart hours, the temp would have been adjusted up to save on the AC running, thus some savings. For me, I'm happy to pay the extra 20-30 bucks on the August usage because it kept me from being uncomfortable. For Filthy, he wants it 70 year-round, so he pays for it to be 70 year-round. So what? He's probably a person that smart hours would not be a good decision for...moving on.

Does the "how can I save" tab reflect that you would pay an extra $20-30/mo by being on Smarthours? Keep in mind it's a "look back" based on how you actually used your power over the last 12 months and DOES NOT include any changes you might have made if you were on the plan.

How much is the penalty for signing up on Smarthours and NOT reducing energy use from 2-7pm? OG&E says is supposed to be a "break even" if you sign up and don't reduce energy use 2-7pm, but I question that...

Clown puncher
09-06-2014, 09:37 AM
House built in 2013 with the latest energy efficient materials and your bill is still $200+? If you don't mind giving the monopoly $200+ a month, I'm sure the shareholders appreciate your prompt payment .

Crank down that AC so it will run and get that humidity out, because it doesn't run long enough to properly dehumidify with the AC set at 75f. It's not a matter of wanting to be 'crisp/cold' at all times since you also have a 70f heating setpoint.

He never said how large his house was so 200 maybe pretty efficient for large home. For me I have right at 2800 sqft and I use smart hours the stat is at 75 always unless I override it and our bill averages around 115 bucks a month. It took a little while for use to adjust to 75 ,because we too came from 71-72 being our comfort zone..... But it's working now for us

Servicetech571
09-06-2014, 11:45 AM
He never said how large his house was so 200 maybe pretty efficient for large home. For me I have right at 2800 sqft and I use smart hours the stat is at 75 always unless I override it and our bill averages around 115 bucks a month. It took a little while for use to adjust to 75 ,because we too came from 71-72 being our comfort zone..... But it's working now for us

Doing 74 off peak/76 on peak would result in about the same overall power bill if you wanted to be a bit cooler 143hrs per week in exchange for being a little warmer 25 hours per week. A big chunk of that 25hrs you would be at work anyway if you work 9-5 weekdays.

s00nr1
09-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Low of 64 tonight and high of 89 tomorrow -- let's go with the high rate of 19 cents. :rolleyes:

Servicetech571
09-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Low of 64 tonight and high of 89 tomorrow -- let's go with the high rate of 19 cents. :rolleyes:

Lets see what happens next summer. If they start too early with the 19's I'll switch to TOU. In 2012 OG&E had lots of 5 cent days until the end of June. The spread between TOU and VPP gets smaller every summer.

king183
06-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Is there going to be a single (non-weekend, non-holiday) day this summer that OGE doesn't call a critical event? Holy moly, they're calling critical events like crazy.

okatty
06-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I get more texts from OG&E than I do my family.:rolleyes:

Dubya61
06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
I get more texts from OG&E than I do my family.:rolleyes:

I believe they're limited to how many critical days they can declare each season. 20?

PhiAlpha
06-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Is there going to be a single (non-weekend, non-holiday) day this summer that OGE doesn't call a critical event? Holy moly, they're calling critical events like crazy.

No kidding...it isn't even that hot yet...

zookeeper
06-30-2015, 09:35 PM
It's all smoke and mirrors. An investor-owned (private) utility will always find a way to get more money in the end - period.

Compare and contrast...and join the fight for true public utilities in Oklahoma City. More to come soon. Same time. Same station.

From the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-electric-bills-differ-private-companies-charge-more-than-public-utilities-20150614-story.html) last week:

In Sacramento, a family using 500 kilowatt hours of electricity last October was charged $58. Customers in Los Angeles, also served by a public utility district, paid $79.

Pacific Gas & Electric charged $93 for the same amount of power. Southern California Edison billed customers $97. And San Diego Gas & Electric topped the Southern California Public Power Authority survey at $116 for 500 kilowatt hours.

The comparison of rates charged by public and private electricity providers in California shows a notable discrepancy in the amounts customers pay for power, depending on where they live and which provider serves them.

Especially for heavy users, bills are higher at the investor-owned utilities SDG&E, Edison and PG&E, overseen by the California Public Utilities Commission. The commission is required to make sure the rates are just and reasonable at the private utilities, and doesn’t oversee the municipal districts.

Municipal utilities say their rates are lower because there is no profit margin and their revenue is reinvested into the public service.

“Simply put, money spent here stays here,” said Heather Raymond, a spokeswoman for the city of Riverside, which has delivered its own water and power since 1895. “That’s great news for communities like Riverside that have utilities that are able to give back in the way of community support.”

The public agencies have their problems as well, including in Los Angeles, where a recent audit found $40 million of ratepayer money was spent on overpaid managers, personal expenses and vendors hired without competitive bids.
(see below)

Public salaries criticized at the Los Angeles utilities department were $220,000, compared with $11.6 million in cash and equity in 2014 for the CEO of PG&E, an investor-owned utility, or IOU.

Back to Smart Hours, just know it's not Smart Pricing as long as our "public utility" has to pay their three top executives tens of millions of dollars.