View Full Version : New Supercomputer in Tulsa economic boost?

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Just curious about this, it seems pretty neat. But will it really boost the economy in Tulsa?

http://www.news9.com/story/18859691/tulsa-supercomputer-will-be-economic-boost

Snowman
06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
It will create a some jobs directly and possibly gets some thinking about starting small business but calling it a boost to there economy is a bit of a stretch, you have been able to rent time on supercomputers you only have access to through the internet for some time. So if you wanted to be in Tulsa and needed cycles on a supercomputer, one being in the city should not have been holding you back. The universities having classes and access for supercomputering is more of a key than the hardware itself.

jedicurt
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
horrible reporting... the article says it will be one of the largest, but gives no idea of scale... are we talking Petaflops? or to be less technical are we talking largest as in top 10 in the nation? top 50? top 100?

Snowman
06-25-2012, 05:56 PM
As of June 2012 the fastest computer is in the US, so it should have a good shot at being top ten when finished since even if you are aiming at number one that list does have a fair amount of turnover. The current best is 16324751 Rmax (GFlop/s), 20132659.2 Rpeak (GFlop/s)

Oil Capital
06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
horrible reporting... the article says it will be one of the largest, but gives no idea of scale... are we talking Petaflops? or to be less technical are we talking largest as in top 10 in the nation? top 50? top 100?

Actually, the article says that it will be "THE largest in the nation...". One has reason to be skeptical.

Other articles say it will be among the top 25 "academic supercomputers in the nation".

I don't think you get even close to the nation's top supercomputers with a $6.7 million budget.

One wonders if the Tulsa supercomputer will even be the largest in the state.

jedicurt
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
One wonders if the Tulsa supercomputer will even be the largest in the state.

i was wondering that myself... and you are correct... i misread the article... it does say The largest in the nation...

Plutonic Panda
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
horrible reporting... the article says it will be one of the largest, but gives no idea of scale... are we talking Petaflops? or to be less technical are we talking largest as in top 10 in the nation? top 50? top 100? Yeah thats what I thought to. There is new new supercomputer in I believe Utah that has something like 100 Petaflops when it is finished in 2014? So if this computer is bigger than that I guess NatGeo is wrong which is weird.

Plutonic Panda
06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Actually, the article says that it will be "THE largest in the nation...". One has reason to be skeptical.

Other articles say it will be among the top 25 "academic supercomputers in the nation".

I don't think you get even close to the nation's top supercomputers with a $6.7 million budget.

One wonders if the Tulsa supercomputer will even be the largest in the state.Another thing that crossed my mind is maybe they are saying it will be the largest college public acces supercomputer.

Swake2
06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I bet HP's site near Tulsa International is larger anyway. Much larger.

The NSAs new site in Utah will be the world's most powerful computing center. All the better to keep tabs on us.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

jedicurt
06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
I talked with the guys at OU's supercomputer this morning (they office down the hall from me). and they said that it is the largest community-owned supercomputer (multiple institutions in a metro owning it together).

and that at the low end of the estimate they give, it will only be half as fast as OU's current supercomputer and at the high end, twice as fast. so in reality, it will probably end up close to around the same speed at OU's current supercomputer which is scheduled to be replaced within the next couple of years.