View Full Version : Raising Canes

Pages : [1] 2

gurantula35
06-23-2012, 12:52 PM
I didnt see this posted anywhere on here yet, but i drove by there today and saw they were gutting the inside of Steak n Shake and saw a banner that had Raising Canes coming soon. I couldn't be more excited about this. That place is EXCELLENT.

Plutonic Panda
06-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah I really like Raising Canes to, but it sucks to see Steak n Shake go.

Debzkidz
06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm glad to see it. I never liked Steak and Shake.

It seemed to happen almost over night. I'm in that center pretty frequently, and it seems like one day Steak and Shake was there, with cars around it, and then the next day or so I drove by and it was not only closed up, but all the signs were gone and everything. Then I drove by just a few days later, and the Canes banner was already there.

Debzkidz
06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
It was mentioned a few days ago in the food and restaurant thread.

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Well thats crazy. I only like Steak n Shake milkshakes though. But it was just a cool restraunt to go and sit down in with friends or family.

bluedogok
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
My parents would go up top that Steak 'N Shake quite often when it first opened but they said that it fell off rather quickly. I loved S-N-S when I ate them in Missouri and places in the Midwest, the ones in the DFW area seemed pretty consistent. We were excited when it opened up in South Austin but we gave it many chances but it was never quite as good as the others that I had previously eaten at, we finally gave up after the first year that it was open, we only went there for milkshakes if we were already in the area. That just seems to be the nature of franchised restaurants, they can either be good or awful depending upon the operator.

Debzkidz
06-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I guess we were never fans for several reasons. We only went to the Edmond location a couple of times, when we first moved here 6 years ago, although we'd eaten at them in Texas several times. The food was mediocre. Always felt like I needed to order 2 burgers, or at least a double meat burger just to get full. Service was never great. Hubby is a huge malt fan, and Steak and Shake doesn't serve malts, only shakes, so they lost him there. We just always went to Freddy's Frozen Custard instead. Burgers are a decent size, although sometimes a bit too salty, and hubby can get his malt fix.

MDot
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I guess we were never fans for several reasons. We only went to the Edmond location a couple of times, when we first moved here 6 years ago, although we'd eaten at them in Texas several times. The food was mediocre. Always felt like I needed to order 2 burgers, or at least a double meat burger just to get full. Service was never great. Hubby is a huge malt fan, and Steak and Shake doesn't serve malts, only shakes, so they lost him there. We just always went to Freddy's Frozen Custard instead. Burgers are a decent size, although sometimes a bit too salty, and hubby can get his malt fix.

Freddy's is pretty good. Don't eat there a ton but it's always good when I do.

bigbyron
07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
We went to Raising Canes in Moore today for the first time. All I can say is wow! Slim's and Express better look out.

Pete
08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Building permit today for a new location on the east side of Penn, just north of Chik Fil A.

Anonymous.
08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Has anyone else noticed Raising Canes is putting establishments near every Chick-Fil-A?

They even put one inside the Quail Springs Mall. Nice battle shaping up here.

okc_bel_air
08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
This was discussed in the northside Dicks Sporting Goods thread, post #44. I drove by there yesterday and it looks like that are about to pour the foundation slab.

Bellaboo
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Building permit today for a new location on the east side of Penn, just north of Chik Fil A.

They just opened one in the food court of QS Mall in the last couple of months.

jedicurt
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
the one in moore is close to chick fil'a as well...

Soonerman
08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Whats the deal with Raising Canes going next to Chick-fil-a? They did that at Quail too now didn't they?

Anonymous.
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
It seems they are out to directly steal business from Chick-Fil-A.

Every Raising Canes location that I am aware of (5 total) are all next to, or extremely close to the anti-gay chicken sandwiches. I would like to see what they paid for the ex-SteaknShake location in Edmond. Just to be directly across the street from Chick-Fil-A

okc_bel_air
08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Really? Was that necessary??

metro
08-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Every Raising Canes location that I am aware of (5 total) are all next to, or extremely close to the anti-gay chicken sandwiches. I would like to see what they paid for the ex-SteaknShake location in Edmond. Just to be directly across the street from Chick-Fil-A
This point was made in the other Raising Canes thread weeks ago, but yes no doubt that's what they're doing. They won't succeed, Chick Fil A has a different demographic AND is known for their exceptional customer service.

rcjunkie
09-02-2012, 04:51 AM

Sad, Shallow, Childish, Pathetic. Just to name a few.

Martin
09-02-2012, 06:32 AM
ok, everybody: let's leave the politics out of a non-politics thread. -M

LandRunOkie
09-02-2012, 07:06 AM
For those wondering if Raising Canes chicken is too good to be true, yes it is. Their secret ingredient is MSG. I believe it is in the sauce & the chicken.

WilliamTell
09-02-2012, 07:47 AM
For those wondering if Raising Canes chicken is too good to be true, yes it is. Their secret ingredient is MSG. I believe it is in the sauce & the chicken.

Calm down your rhetoric....Chic-Fil A 2nd ingredient on their chicken is MSG (twice, soak it in it then in the breading), and its hard to find a product that they serve that doesnt have MSG in it. From their website -

100% natural whole breast filet, seasoning (salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika), seasoned coater (enriched bleached flour , sugar, salt,[B] monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening [baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate], spice, soybean oil, color [paprika]), milk wash (water, egg, nonfat milk), peanut oil (fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness and Dimethylpolysiloxane an anti-foaming agent added

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/ChickfilA-Nuggets#?details=ingredients

LandRunOkie
09-02-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't eat at either one. Raising Cane's was preferable until I found out about the MSG. No reason to suppress free speech when public health is involved. This city needs all the help it can get in that regard ...

Anonymous.
09-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Damn, try to poke a little fun at a current event and people get their feelings hurt. Rough times here on the internets.

boscorama
09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
FWIW, Chic-Fil-A has a decent grilled chicken sandwich. They've been around for decades; they can survive healthy competition.

jn1780
09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Just so people know, KFC, LJS, and McDonalds are also unhealthy. I would hate to think their are people eating it who think otherwise. LOL

metro
09-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Damn, try to poke a little fun at a current event and people get their feelings hurt. Rough times here on the internets.

No, it was a classless low blow due to your political beliefs, I agree with the others.

Anonymous.
09-03-2012, 09:41 PM
As a strong supporter of gay rights, I don't think you understand which side of the issue I am on, suit yourself with your "classless" comments. But to comply with the no politics in any board other than political, I will apologize for mentioning such in an incorrect board. Please learn to read a post correctly before jumping to your own conclusions about my political beliefs. I believe someone (incorrectly) reported my post and that is why mmm even stumbled into here.

...Anyways, I hope to try Raising Cane's food soon - I love the competitive spirit.

corwin1968
09-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Sort of like Walgreens and Eckerds and we all know who won that battle. I'm not sure who was following who, though.

jn1780
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Sort of like Walgreens and Eckerds and we all know who won that battle. I'm not sure who was following who, though.

CVS won that battle and now fighting the battle against Walgreens. I don't think one takes lead, their both looking for undeveloped corners and the other one follows.

LandRunOkie
09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Just so people know, KFC, LJS, and McDonalds are also unhealthy. I would hate to think their are people eating it who think otherwise. LOL

You're just stating the obvious. MSG is addictive and linked to obesity, and makes people thirsty, which makes them drink more of whatever sugary drink they would normally be drinking there. Also Raising Cane's uses more MSG than any other restaurant if common sense is any indication. They also have used aggressive marketing tactics in the past, like giving away free meals when a new store opens, and then raising prices when people are hooked. Kind of a dirty operation if you ask me..

jn1780
09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
You're just stating the obvious. MSG is addictive and linked to obesity, and makes people thirsty, which makes them drink more of whatever sugary drink they would normally be drinking there. Also Raising Cane's uses more MSG than any other restaurant if common sense is any indication. They also have used aggressive marketing tactics in the past, like giving away free meals when a new store opens, and then raising prices when people are hooked. Kind of a dirty operation if you ask me..

Otherwise known as a fast food operation. lol The above mentioned places have MSG also. Don't know why you thought Raising Cains was special to begin with.

Debzkidz
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
While visiting our son in College Station, TX last year, we noticed they had built a Canes right next door to a little mom and pop chicken strip shack named "Laynes". It doesn't seem to have deterred Laynes business any though. It's always still packed. It's really good. Hopefully, the little local place will win that battle. But I guess in a town of 50,000+ hungry college kids, there's probably plenty of business to go around.

mgsports
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Eckerds was good so is Albertsons and so on.

WilliamTell
09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Also Raising Cane's uses more MSG than any other restaurant if common sense is any indication. Kind of a dirty operation if you ask me..

Im not sure who you are or why you have such a bone to pick with raising canes, but you are a very ignorant person. I have no ties to raising canes and havent even ate there before but find it almost amusing at the nonsense you keep spouting out about them.

Do a little research on MSG and you will find out if a place uses too much of the chemical it has a negative effect on a dish. Its like artificial sweetner, the right amount is sweet but too much is insanely bitter. So to claim that they use so much more than other fast food places is insane. I've done some research on KFC, popeyes,wendys, mcdonalds, churches, taco bell, and chick fila and in all of the cases i found that all of the fast food places used MSG in all of there chicken products and quite a few of there other products. IMHO if you are looking for fried chicken with out MSG you might be better off buying it at a grocery store deli.

The only places that ive found that dont use msg are taco mayo and arbys (well its in arbys ranch sauce, but all ranch has it). I got interested in MSG after my son went nuts after being given 1 mcdonalds french fry and refusing to eat the rest of his meal.

LandRunOkie
09-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Im not sure who you are or why you have such a bone to pick with raising canes

Its surprising to me people feed their kids that stuff and thinking it is just magically so much better food.
You can actually buy MSG by the bottle at a grocery store, which I have done so I know what it tastes like. My point is that it is a controversial substance and people need to be aware of it.

yukong
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, I for one don't care...I love Raisin Canes. I love Chick fil a, McDonalds, Taco Bell...well all the ones named above. I have low cholesterol, low blood pressure, and I have great lab figures and always have. I'm not obese. I don't eat it every day. I don't eat this every week. But not because of MSG, or any other goofy reason. In fact, if their secret ingredient is MSG...well then give me more MSG. Raisin Canes just tastes good. I like things that taste good. I enjoy things that taste good. And if, and I mean a big "if" it does something to effect my health...well that was my choice. Oddly, just today, I heard about a new comprehensive health study released by Stanford University (not know as a bastion of conservatism) that found there were no appreciable health benefits derived from organic foods over foods produced in a "non-organic" method. So...please pass the Canes sauce for me to dunk my Canes chicken fingers and fries. Oh, and refill my pop. Man, I'm hungry now.

jn1780
09-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Its surprising to me people feed their kids that stuff and thinking it is just magically so much better food.
You can actually buy MSG by the bottle at a grocery store, which I have done so I know what it tastes like. My point is that it is a controversial substance and people need to be aware of it.

And a lot of people swear up and down that Chick-Fil-A is better than Raising Cains and they both use the "secret" ingredient. So apparently there are other factors involved for someone liking a particular chicken establishment besides the "secret" ingredient.

Of course, if you want to launch a crusade against MSG in general, I say go for it.

LandRunOkie
09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I posted the information to raise awareness, not to attract misguided hostility. If you want to support Raising Cane's, the best way to do that is to go buy some MSG-laden chicken.

onthestrip
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
All you have to do is look at the color of a basket of food from Raising Canes to know its unhealthy...its all brown. Not sure why some are bashing a guy trying to point out that its not exactly the healthiest food. This is Oklahoma though, god forbid someone tell us not to eat our beloved brown fried foods.

ShiroiHikari
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I never understood why people like Raising Cane's so much. I went there once and it cost me almost $8 for some generic chicken strips, some crappy fries, and a drink. The sauce was okay, I guess, but other than that? Bleh. Not worth the money.

For the record, I think Chick-Fil-A is overrated and overpriced as well, MSG or no.

Anonymous.
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Well this restaurant opened today (9/21/2012).

Edmond Police were directing traffic in the parking lot and it was a fluster cluck to say the least.

Debzkidz
09-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I stopped by and had lunch there yesterday. It was pretty crowded but the service was fast. I really liked it. I thought it was much better than Slim Chickens. The chicken was really tasty and the fries, were good too. They aren't fresh, but they were thin crinkle cut fries and they were nice and crispy.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, they built a location right next to a local place named Laynes, in College Station. I was talking to my son who used to live in College Station last week and he gave me the scoop on how this all transpired. Apparently, Canes had a location in Austin, and for quite some time people in College Station had been trying to get them to put a location there, but they never would, saying that CS was too small. That's when some locals got together and opened Laynes. I gotta say, Laynes and Canes taste just about the same, dipping sauce and all. So, after a couple of years, Canes finally came to CS and built their location right next to Laynes. Every time I've ever been to Laynes or even driven by, its been packed, but there's usually not much of anyone at Canes. Everyone is just sticking with the locals. And just recently, a 3rd chicken place opened on the other side of Canes. Also local. It's called Fowl Digits. I just don't think I could eat at this place with a name like that.

ctchandler
09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Debzkidz,
I like a good catchy name. Did you misunderstand it? Fowl=chicken, digits=fingers. I'm not a huge fan of chicken or turkey so I always said, "There's a reason they call it fowl(or foul)". One of my favorites was a fish monger in NYC with the name "Meat without feet". I think my only question about Raising Canes and a couple of others is how they stay in business selling basically one thing. I suppose they do or they wouldn't be expanding.
C. T.

t's called Fowl Digits. I just don't think I could eat at this place with a name like that.

jedicurt
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I think my only question about Raising Canes and a couple of others is how they stay in business selling basically one thing.

you can easily stay in business with only one product if that product is done extremely well, and in the case of Raising Canes, i believe it is.... but i still don't know how Slim Chickens stays in business, i have eaten there twice (once at two different locations) and i will never be going back

Debzkidz
09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Debzkidz,
I like a good catchy name. Did you misunderstand it? Fowl=chicken, digits=fingers. I'm not a huge fan of chicken or turkey so I always said, "There's a reason they call it fowl(or foul)". One of my favorites was a fish monger in NYC with the name "Meat without feet". I think my only question about Raising Canes and a couple of others is how they stay in business selling basically one thing. I suppose they do or they wouldn't be expanding.
C. T.

Oh, I totally got it. I just thought it was really stupid.

rezman
02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I've eaten there twice now, and both times have left unimpressed. It's edible, but that's about the extent of it.

progressiveboy
02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Raising Canes is growing extremely rapidly. I know food is subjective, however RC is very good. Much better than Chik Fila. Much better quality.

MDot
02-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Raising Canes is growing extremely rapidly. I know food is subjective, however RC is very good. Much better than Chik Fila. Much better quality.

I disagree that it's better than Chik-fil-A, but Raising Canes is very good and is at the top of my list for fast food.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I highly disagree. I ate at Raising Canes all the time in Dallas and it wasn't all that good, neither is the one here in Edmond.

rezman
02-14-2013, 06:27 PM
The only reason I tried it the second time is because it was on a Sunday and Chick Fil A was closed. So I thought we should give RC a second chance, which confirmed it for me.

MDot
02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
I highly disagree. I ate at Raising Canes all the time in Dallas and it wasn't all that good, neither is the one here in Edmond.

Difference of taste buds I suppose.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah lol..... I don't mean to speak for anyone else. Just me haha :)

SoonerDave
02-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah lol..... I don't mean to speak for anyone else. Just me haha :)

I'm with ya, there, Panda. I've backed off fried chicken almost entirely trying to drop some lbs, but when I tried Canes in Moore, it was a greasy, soggy mess. Heck, after my teenage son tried it two or three times because everyone had said how good it was, even HE gave up on it. Told me he just plain didn't like it. Repeat: My teenage SON, who would eat nearly anything, didn't like it. He liked Chicken Express down the street much better. So you're not alone at all on your feelings about 'Canes. If some folks like it, hey, great, power to 'em, but we didn't find it compelling at all.

Just shows-ta-go-ya that there are different tastes out there. :)

HangryHippo
02-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Raising Cane's is excellent. I think I prefer Chick-Fil-A's chicken, but everything else that Cane's offers puts it atop my list.

rezman
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Raising Cane's is excellent. I think I prefer Chick-Fil-A's chicken, but everything else that Cane's offers puts it atop my list.

So that leaves what? ... toast, cole slaw, crinkle cut fries and special sauce.

Plutonic Panda
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm with ya, there, Panda. I've backed off fried chicken almost entirely trying to drop some lbs, but when I tried Canes in Moore, it was a greasy, soggy mess. Heck, after my teenage son tried it two or three times because everyone had said how good it was, even HE gave up on it. Told me he just plain didn't like it. Repeat: My teenage SON, who would eat nearly anything, didn't like it. He liked Chicken Express down the street much better. So you're not alone at all on your feelings about 'Canes. If some folks like it, hey, great, power to 'em, but we didn't find it compelling at all.

Just shows-ta-go-ya that there are different tastes out there. :)yuup haha... I pretty much will eat anything as well. But, Canes just wasn't my thing lol.

metro
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Cane's is good, but I don't think it'll take any business away from CFA. It's got a different target audience, is extremely stingy with their sauce, and has a much higher price point. It's basically the same flavor as Churches Chicken, just has a nice "special sauce". Now that I learned how to make Cane's sauce at home, I just get my chicken at CFA and make my own sauce. (2 parts ketchup, 1 part mayo, splash of worcestershire sauce, and a 1/4 tsp garlic powder, black pepper to your liking).

Pete
06-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Raising Canes just filed a building permit application for the SE corner of Reno & MacArthur.

Last use was a car lot.

rte66man
06-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Raising Canes just filed a building permit application for the SE corner of Reno & MacArthur.

Last use was a car lot.

Another chicken ghetto. There's a Zaxby's on Reno and a Chick-Fil-A just south of there. Still can't beat NW Expressway between Market Place and just west of Rockwell. Church's, Zaxby's, Popeyes, Chick-Fil-A, KFC, and Raising Canes.