View Full Version : Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

BBatesokc
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Internet Gives Harassed Bus Monitor a $20,000 Vacation

I really hope the parents of these kids saw this video and dealt with it.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/20/bus-monitor-vacatio/

And here...... http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

WilliamTell
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Whoa...I would expel all of them for the year if i was the school administrator.

I like one of the comments on the story - basically said that if that was one of his kids doing that they would of spent every single day that summer over at that ladies house mowing her yard, weeding her flower beds, vacuuming her house, cleaning her bathrooms and doing any thing that she didnt want to do. By the end of the summer they will know first hand what it means to respect someone else.

Roadhawg
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
If I did that I wouldn't be sitting down for a week plus I would be writing a public apology the this nice lady.

Jon27
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I could only watch about 2 minutes of that. Heartbreaking.

RadicalModerate
06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Tough Love can be "heartbreaking" . . .

This vidclip has nothing to do with race.
It is all about the wannabee "culture"
And the response of a seasoned citizen
In the face of [a total punk]
on a bus
without any expectation
of a reward

oepMGXMktcs

BBatesokc
06-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Tough Love can be "heartbreaking" . . .

This vidclip has nothing to do with race.
It is all about the wannabee "culture"
And the response of a seasoned citizen
In the face of [a total punk]
on a bus
without any expectation
of a reward

oepMGXMktcs

Love it! And, like you said, it has nothing to do with race.

Roadhawg
06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
He picked on the wrong Vet

FritterGirl
06-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Whoa...I would expel all of them for the year if i was the school administrator.

I like one of the comments on the story - basically said that if that was one of his kids doing that they would of spent every single day that summer over at that ladies house mowing her yard, weeding her flower beds, vacuuming her house, cleaning her bathrooms and doing any thing that she didnt want to do. By the end of the summer they will know first hand what it means to respect someone else.

Sadly, I get the sense that these kids are likely growing up in a household where these kinds of things are acceptable. I didn't see the entire video. I would think that were I in that position (of the lady), I would have turned and given those kids what-for. Stand up for yourself and don't let others - especially punk seventh graders - speak to you that way.

White Peacock
06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, if I was being harassed like that by some kids, composure be damned. I'd throw so much venom at them they'd be traumatized for years.

White Peacock
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Also, she now has a $190,000 vacation fund; not just $20k now. Holy hell!

Roadhawg
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Also, she now has a $190,000 vacation fund; not just $20k now. Holy hell!

Maybe she could use some of that money to buy those kids some manners.... I'm really hoping the parents didn't know their kids were behaving this way and explained the errors of their ways to them.

bretthexum
06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
over 320K now. I hope she can retire.

Pete
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
We need to create a fund to send those kids to a few years of military school.

FritterGirl
06-21-2012, 03:45 PM
We need to create a fund to send those kids to a few years of military school.

Either I've missed the stories, or the media haven't made contact yet with the parents of these kids. I'd really like to see some recompense here. This has struck a nerve. Suffice it to say were I on a bus and I saw that kind of behavior from a bunch of 13-year old kids, I'd give them a piece of my mind. They wouldn't have the chance to keep mocking me, or any other person on that bus.

mmonroe
06-21-2012, 05:00 PM
When I first watched this yesterday, the OP had stated $20k raised, when I visited the site yesterday it was at $82k and by the time I was finished watching the video and reading the article, the amount had went up to $87.5k and i'm amazed now, it's at $351.5k. AMAZING, this woman is going to live good for the rest of her years.

Questor
06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Not to take anything away from the woman at the center of this, but seeing how those kids acted to an adult on that bus I am more than sure that there are other kids who ride the bus whose lives are a living hell each and every day, day after day, year after year. It's nice and all to give the lady a wad of cash, but I think if I were in that district I'd be more concerned about the nightmare that the other adolescent bus riders must be living on a daily basis.

boscorama
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
The woman, Ms Klein, should've asserted "You need a dermatologist" or "Why don't you zip up your pants", or "Why is your ***** so, err, little?"

Questor is right, some kids experience this cruelty all the time. Adults have the luxury of walking off the job; at least this one does, but the kids are stuck there till graduation.

Snowman
06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow, it is now at 416,705; more than 80 times the original goal with 29 days left. It has gone from giving her a vacation to a good amount to put away for retirement.

ljbab728
06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
I rode a school bus for years in the 50's and there were idiots and bullys aboard then too. That's not going to change because kids will always be immature. The language used has certainly changed since then though.

Here's the latest update and it sounds like the kids are not getting a pass at all.

http://newsok.com/at-least-380k-raised-for-bullied-ny-bus-monitor/article/feed/396375

WilliamTell
06-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Wow, it is now at 416,705; more than 80 times the original goal with 29 days left. It has gone from giving her a vacation to a good amount to put away for retirement.

I hate to be that guy in such a good natured thread - I think more than likely she will hit a million dollars in donation, it would be classy if she donated a portion (maybe a 1/5th??) to an antibullying group. I'm sure the feds will come after her for taxes since this is so public and it might help in being able to write off some to a non profit and helping a good cause.

Either way im glad good news stories like this happen.

rcjunkie
06-23-2012, 05:32 AM
I hate to be that guy in such a good natured thread - I think more than likely she will hit a million dollars in donation, it would be classy if she donated a portion (maybe a 1/5th??) to an antibullying group. I'm sure the feds will come after her for taxes since this is so public and it might help in being able to write off some to a non profit and helping a good cause.

IMHO, a better use would be to purchase said parents long, hard wood paddles.

Easy180
06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
With this around half a mil now lets get ready for some fake copycat videos trying to cash in as well...Not a dig on this one just sayin

BBatesokc
06-23-2012, 04:40 PM
With this around half a mil now lets get ready for some fake copycat videos trying to cash in as well...Not a dig on this one just sayin

Ohhh that's definitely coming. And probably some real videos too. I doubt this outpouring will ever be repeated, I think its pretty symbolic though and I like it.

BBatesokc
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM

The amount will automatically be reported to the IRS by the website collecting the money.

Hopefully she gets some good tax advice and is able to shelter a lot of it.

Midtowner
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
The amount will automatically be reported to the IRS by the website collecting the money.

Hopefully she gets some good tax advice and is able to shelter a lot of it.

It's a gift, so the first lifetime $5MM is not taxed.

BBatesokc
06-25-2012, 07:02 AM
It's a gift, so the first lifetime $5MM is not taxed.

Isn't the individual 'gift' exemption limited to $13,000 (in a single gift from a single person). The CEO of the company said they have to report the transaction but only those who gave more than $13,000 (?) would be subject to the gift tax. Considering then average gift was only $20, I think virtually everyone is safe.

She can deposit it and pay no taxes, but any earnings from the money will be subject to taxes.

bretthexum
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I read somewhere that it won't be taxed. I am not sure what the reason was though. Good for her.

You're correct tho - earnings on that will be taxed.

BBatesokc
06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I read somewhere that it won't be taxed. I am not sure what the reason was though. Good for her.

You're correct tho - earnings on that will be taxed.

I'm no CPA, but I believe it all counts as individual gifts - which are not taxed.

I can throw a big birthday party and everyone shows up and gives me gifts ranging from cash to merchandise. Those are not subject to income tax regardless how many I get, as long as no one gift is worth more than $13,000 (?).

Can any verify or dispute?

Bunty
06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Meanwhile, the guy who got much of his face ate off isn't getting much money. It sure doesn't pay to be homeless and in big trouble. Maybe the bus lady will share some of her money with him.

Martin
06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Meanwhile, the guy who got much of his face ate off isn't getting much money. It sure doesn't pay to be homeless and in big trouble. Maybe the bus lady will share some of her money with him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Debbie_Downer.PNG/215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

Questor
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM

There's something sad but very revealing about this comment. There's a social experiment making the rounds right now where people are shown a picture of a homeless man on a cold wintry street cuddling with a stray dog. Everyone goes "awww" and feels sad for the dog. Almost no one ever comments about the homeless man. I'm not sure what it means, but it is kind of disturbing to think about.

BBatesokc
06-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I think we could all point to a thousand examples of things 'worse' than what this bus monitor had to endure - but that doesn't make the message here any less special - thousands of people coming together to express support for her and to everyone who has suffered both mentally and physically at the hands of bullies. I think its something most everyone can relate to and she handled it spectacularly. It doesn't take anything away from victims of other tragic and horrific circumstances but it is reassuring on this one topic.