View Full Version : Washington Mutual, OKC eliminated

metro
05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Financial company eliminates city's bid

By Paul Monies
The Oklahoman

Washington Mutual Inc. has bypassed Oklahoma City and selected sites in Texas as finalists for a regional operations center, company officials said Wednesday.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry also said the financial services company would be eligible for $15 million from the Texas Enterprise Fund in exchange for creating up to 4,200 jobs in the next seven years.

Oklahoma City had been a possibility for the sales and service center along with San Antonio and a location in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Washington Mutual spokesman Joe Arbona said Wednesday the company was leaning toward San Antonio. City and county officials there approved tax and job-training incentives last week. Washington Mutual is considering former MCI office space in San Antonio, he said.

"We had signed a letter of intent on a property there that we're taking a closer look at," Arbona said. "But we have not made a final decision on an actual city."

Officials with the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce said Washington Mutual told them the city would be a strong contender for future company facilities.

"In our debrief with Washington Mutual, they let us know that the Oklahoma City package was extremely competitive," said Robin Roberts, executive vice president for economic development. "In fact, we exceeded their expectations in several categories. Unfortunately, they already have an office in Texas, and the availability of an existing facility allowed them to ramp up more quickly."

Roberts said the city's package included help from the state's Quality Jobs program, which offers quarterly cash rebates of up to 5 percent of payroll for job creation. The program has paid out almost $386 million since 1994, according to the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Perry's office administers the Texas Enterprise Fund, a "closing fund" of almost $295 million for job grants and economic incentives. The fund was established in 2003. Critics have called it a giant slush fund, but Perry said the money has lured projects that are expected to bring 28,000 jobs to Texas.

Seattle-based Washington Mutual, which offers services from banking to insurance, is the nation's largest savings and loan association.

JOHNINSOKC
05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
It's seems like OKC is ALWAYS a runner-up city. I think Washington Mutual was going to Texas all along. At least it didn't go to Dallas.

mranderson
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
It's seems like OKC is ALWAYS a runner-up city. I think Washington Mutual was going to Texas all along. At least it didn't go to Dallas.

Regardless of where, it is still Texas. At least we are not stuck with more poverty level jobs like most call centers offer.

mrote
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see the non-poverty level jobs pouring into the state either.

HKG_Flyer1
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
"Unfortunately, they already have an office in Texas, and the availability of an existing facility allowed them to ramp up more quickly."

This doesn't really make a lot of sense. The existing Texas office is in north Dallas. Oklahoma City is nearly 100 miles closer to their existing facility than the chosen San Antonio location. In terms of air service, there are 23 non-stop flights per day from Dallas to Oklahoma City, and flight time is 10 minutes shorter.

Hopefully, OKC's economic development folks got some more meaningful and sensical feedback from the Washington Mutual folks after what I'm sure was a very extensive courting process, rather than a patronizing "atta boy!" and a slap on the back as 4,500 jobs head south.

metro
05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
HKGFlyer please note that that quote is not my personal quote but an article from the daily Disappointment, I mean Oklahoman. You may want to clarify. I personally know that doesn't make alot of sense.

HKG_Flyer1
05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I see what you mean, it looks like you were saying that, when in actuality it was a quote from Robin Roberts at the OKC Chamber of Commerce. I've made the clarification.

okcpulse
05-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Even though this probably won't happen with Washington Mutual, I noticed that any company that passes up Oklahoma City winds up in some trouble.

United Airlines, bypassed OKC in 1991 for Indianapolis, now under fire from Indianapolis for not delivering the jobs and revenue United promised.

Fleming, departed OKC in 1999 for Lewisville, Texas, now in serious financial trouble and facing bankruptcy.

Micron Technologies, bypassed OKC in 1996 for Salt Lake City, Utah. Didn't even finish the plant.

NHL, bypassed OKC in 1997 for four other finalist cities. Now in lockout. Facing serious financial crisis. Season canceled for 2004-05.

Corning Fiberoptics- chose OKC, started construction but didn't finish the plant. Entire company hit hard by the dot.com bust and information technology bust. Now facing bankruptcy.

Shall I keep digging?

Pete
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
That's really too bad... WAMU has a reputation for being a good place to work, as they treat their employees well and typically invest in the community.

And yes, their explanation didn't make sense. I would hope the CofC would press for more details, even though they might be tough to hear.

metro
05-20-2005, 10:11 AM
JOHNSINOKC, I'm not sure what you mean by:

The article stated they want to expand in Texas, either DFW or San Antonio although they are leaning towards San Antonio, no final decision has been made.

Oklahoma City had been a possibility for the sales and service center along with San Antonio and a location in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Washington Mutual spokesman Joe Arbona said Wednesday the company was leaning toward San Antonio.