View Full Version : relocation help ?????

falcon trucker
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
hello everyone my names Steven I was born in raised in newyork but do to circumstances in newyork I've had enough between immigrants to politics and cost of living also the people I'm ready to get the he'll out and never come back lol.. I'm a husband and father of 2. I
looking for a local driving job in okc. I hold a class b license with hazmat and tanker. I curently work for newyork state dot which sucks benefits are good but pay is so horrible. I have alot of exprience operating all different types of heavy machinery. my question is is okc good for employment is the pay scale good what area are nice to raise a family. I plan on coming down April 2013 and will job froth still be good at the time you think and input much appreciated.:pat_head:

falcon trucker
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I apologize for the grammar I'm posting from my phone and it first type everything correctly

Larry OKC
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Reportedly, Oklahoma and Oklahoma City have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country right now. That said, unless you are in certain fields (health & energy), jobs can be few and far between. Overall, Oklahoma pay scales rank fairly low (but this may be changing depending on field of employment). This seemed to be rather across the board, be it manual labor or president of the company. The exception being our state Legislature which until recently was the highest part-time one in the country and in the top 10 overall. That said, we have a lower cost of living here than in many places, so even though you may be getting paid less, you may see that your dollar goes further.

Given your experience and licensing, I would think your opportunities would be decent here. Maybe get on with Devon, Chesapeake or the relocating Continental Resources (our major Energy companies) as a driver?

Good luck.

falcon trucker
06-20-2012, 09:47 AM
thanks for the info I got a job offerd to me yesterday for driving a large dump truck but I'm not in the circumstances to move that fast. but come April I will be they offerd me 15 an hour start whic I guess is ok for now

1972ford
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Schawrz Ready mix will start you out at $14 an hour $16 after 3 months I think you will get TONS of hours up to 70 a week benefits are good free health insurance for singles and $300 a month for family they have a 5% match on your 401k cheap vision dental insurance as well they have plants in OKC Norman Yukon and Edmond. Schwarz is always looking for more driver as they continue to grow. The parent company is Boral HQed in Australia they are one on the largest construction material providers in Australia and are looking into expanding into north america.

If you are looking for a good location for a family I would suggest the south end of Yukon as Edmond is nothing but overcrowded and the traffic sucks.

I see tons of wanted ad for class B drivers with hazmat for Vac trucks although since I have never worked for them I don't know how good of companies they are.

I also see tons of classifieds looking for tanker drivers to haul oil presuambly from Ok to texas for refining or export

OSUPeterson
06-21-2012, 01:43 PM
If you moved to Yukon, you could easily get a job driving for the oil companies. If you already hold a class B, they would probably train you for free to drive freight and semis. I know they will pay for most people to get their CDL licenses if they can pass the written test on their own. They always need people to drive equipment and rigs to the oil field sites. Pay is pretty decent and there are lots of hours to be had.

You're money goes alot further down here than in New York. You would be suprised how low the cost of living is here.

Also, the okc and the metro area have lots of construction projects going on, and look to have lots going on into the future. I would guess that there are lots of jobs to be had as long as you can pass the drug test.

1972ford
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
cost of living for me in Warr Acres across from the police station in a 3 bedroom house being single is a whopping 1400 a month thats mortgage utilities phone insurance food and gas as well as a 200 dollar buffer. living is cheap you just got to buy rather than rent

Lyrewood is cheap and well advertised but don't touch that place with a 20 foot pole nothing but thieves and hooligans and gangbangers there outside the few people that are actually tring to get out of the poverty ccyle

falcon trucker
06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
wow thanks everybody for the info I really appreciate it and I'm going to look up these places and apply

Larry OKC
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Apts along Lyrewood Lane (from NW 63rd to Wilshire) and those along NW 10th Street should be avoided. As 1972ford said, they are known for being less than reputable

1972ford
06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
DO NOT move into the eastside of the city either unless you like being beaten and robbed

Larry OKC
06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't want to leave Falcon with the wrong idea, as with any city there are good and not so good places to live. OKC has plenty of good ones too.

1972ford
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
all the outlying communities, the core, the south west side past 89th, northwest side north of 16th are all good areas with the exception of Apts along Lyrewood Lane (from NW 63rd to Wilshire). I don't know exactly about the south east side and where the bad stops on the northeast side of town. lottie is a nono street for anyone the bad news we used to get everyday from the eastside has declined significantly in the last 6 months or so. Maybe its getting better but I would wait till that area is tore down and redeveloped before I would even think about it

falcon trucker
06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
DO NOT move into the eastside of the city either unless you like being beaten and robbed

beating and robbed lol better hope they have a gun I'm a 2 time golden gloves fighter and I plan on gett my pistol permit when I get down there but thanks for the good word

Achilleslastand
06-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes stay away from Lyrewood Lane aka Detroit version 2.0.

Larry OKC
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Not saying you can't take care of yourself, but we have had off duty police officers and current/former military be severely injured or worse (most often alcohol was involved). Also, I think by the time you relocate our open carry law will be in effect (currently concealed carry). Same permitting etc, just won't run the risk of going to jail if you accidentally expose your concealed weapon...