View Full Version : A DowntownontheRange.com

G.Walker
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Probably the best blog I read all year, there is a lot of truth in it:

http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2012/06/so-youve-heard.html

Just the facts
06-19-2012, 07:29 AM
For those who don't know, the Kirkpatrick Foundation is moving the City Arts Center downtown, just not anywhere near the Arts District which I think is an unfortunate oversight of synergy, which is so important for the arts

The Arts District boat sailed long ago. They should rename it the Civic District, or better yet - just get rid of the contrived names. Districts are not random lines on a map, they are achieved through sense of place at the sidewalk level.

BoulderSooner
06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
this idea that anything to do with the "arts" needs to me in one district ... is crazy .. the city is better having IAO on film row .. the art gallery in midtown across from mcnellies and now having City arts coming to AA ...

Just the facts
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
If you are going to have an Arts District wouldn't it make sense to have the "Arts" located in it? Museums, live theater, art centers, etc typically do best when they are concentrated in one area. Anyhow, that ship sailed - rename the district.

Pete
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I know it's partially a state project, but I always thought it was a mistake to put the Oklahoma History Center near the capitol rather than somewhere downtown.

And these feelings were only completely reinforced when I visited the facility for the first time this Saturday. They have a fantastic new exhibit on Oklahoma in the Movies and the entire setup is very impressive.

Yet, in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, we had almost the entire, huge place to ourselves. In fact, they didn't even have anyone manning the place you buy your tickets; instead, signs directed you to buy them in the gift shop. Just goes to show you how much traffic they get there, they don't even want to pay two employees.

I couldn't help but wish it had been situated somewhere near Bricktown so the hoards that go there would have something else to do but eat and stand around.

The History Center is doomed to be completely underutilized and our downtown was cheated out of a great opportunity to provide another activity and attraction.

HangryHippo
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I know it's partially a state project, but I always thought it was a mistake to put the Oklahoma History Center near the capitol rather than somewhere downtown.

And these feelings were only completely reinforced when I visited the facility for the first time this Saturday. They have a fantastic new exhibit on Oklahoma in the Movies and the entire setup is very impressive.

Yet, in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, we had almost the entire, huge place to ourselves. In fact, they didn't even have anyone manning the place you buy your tickets; instead, signs directed you to buy them in the gift shop. Just goes to show you how much traffic they get there, they don't even want to pay two employees.

I couldn't help but wish it had been situated somewhere near Bricktown so the hoards that go there would have something else to do but eat and stand around.

The History Center is doomed to be completely underutilized and our downtown was cheated out of a great opportunity to provide another activity and attraction.

Sadly, this seems to be the unending story for this city. It's always the same tale of missed opportunities and half-ass plans.

Pete
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
It's all about critical mass, which I'm sure was part of Nick's point in his blog.

Critical mass is the one most essential element of creating a real central city or even fully accualized neighborhood.

Deep Deuce is getting close but we are still running in a million different directions, scattering limited assets (human, creative, money, civic improvements and a bunch of other things) over a dozen or more districts.

My one hope is that DD does reach critical mass and then we slowly start to round out a few more districts. But other than Midtown and maybe AA, I don't any that are close, even with the massive investment of time and money that has already been made.

I plan to write about this subject in greater detail as I process everything from this trip.

Just the facts
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Sadly, this seems to be the unending story for this city. It's always the same tale of missed opportunities and half-ass plans.

Amen. I for one am ready for full-ass plans. The problem is execution and realization of the vision. We all seem to know what we want in an end product but we don't know how to build it or in some case WHY we like something. Let me give you brief example if I can.

I used to like homes like this. I liked it for the gable ends, varied roof line, and variety of exterior building materials.

http://www.viprealtyinfo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/luxury-home-300x200.jpg

Then I was shown why I liked it. It turns out this house (and millions of others like it) is actually an attempt to recreate the entire skyline of a small village. So you see, it wasn't the house that I liked, it was what the house was replicating that I liked and I was simply transfering the favorability to the model.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd500/compassexpeditions/Forums%20photos%20to%20go%20with%20text/Beautifulfrenchbackroadriding.jpg

BoulderSooner
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
that house is also designed after a ton of country English manors that have been around as long as your village picture

Just the facts
06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Except the English Manor houses are symmetrical. A little feature that early classic British architects picked up from their grand tours of Italy in the 17th and 18th century.

If you get a chance checkout Kevin McClouds Grand Tour on Netflix.

3DkqH3GFETk

Larry OKC
06-19-2012, 02:00 PM
JTF: reminded me of what Vegas does...

Spartan
06-19-2012, 03:56 PM
What's with all these kitschy euro and vegas pics in a thread about my blog?? :p

Questor
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I think a lot of it is the multitude of government entities we have and their apparent unwillingness to ever set down and talk to one another. Maybe it's just me but I sort of picture a bunch of state guys coming up with the plans for the Oklahoma History Museum and them wanting to put it on state land that has nothing to do with OKC....

Seems like the same story whether we are talking about crappy street development, highway interchanges that make no consideration of local needs or developments, ABLE enforcement that appears insane to city entities, or new museums. It's almost like our state does everything it possibly can to ignore OKC's government.

But even at the city level I imagine it is a problem. Often times I see city councilors talking about one thing and "planners" and engineers actually doing something completely different.

The only thing I can think of that can help that are strong leaders who go out of their way to communicate, even when it technically isn't their responsibility. That and de-funding our state government.

Larry OKC
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Spartan: my apologies but you can blame JTF

Just the facts
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
LOL - it started with a discussion about the lack of putting the Arts in the Arts District but took on a more holistic view of why the City can never implement the vision.

Spartan
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh, ok that makes sense. Sorry I'd chime in here, but I don't want anyone accusing me of being self-serving.. carry on

But I will say to definitely stay tuned to DowntownontheRange where you can read my response to this and more.. :lol2:

Larry OKC
06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, since you didn't start the thread...no accusations coming from me...