View Full Version : What Will The NCAA Do to Penn State After The Sandusky Trial?

Sheetkeecker
06-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Sadly, I think they will get the Death Penalty in Football.
SMU got it for something 1-ten-thousandth as bad.

It is a very sad thing, in every way.
The crimes committed there were IMMENSE and CRIMINAL at the most horrible level.

CHILD ABUSE must NEVER be acceptable in any way, shape, form or fashion.
All criminals should have the BOOK thrown at them.

The cover-ups here are pervasive and tell a gruesome story of morally bankrupt people at every level at Penn State.

Midtowner
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure the NCAA has an interest in this issue.

bluedogok
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure the NCAA has an interest in this issue.
Agreed, from the outside looking in it doesn't any NCAA violations occurred that would trigger than kind of penalty. The only thing they could get nailed with is "Lack of Institutional Control" but that is even questionable for what is a criminal matter and not any direct violations of NCAA rules.

We will never see another death penalty again, the violations would have to be 100x worse than what SMU did, I just don't think they will do it again. Pat Jones has talked about when they handed the penalties handed down at OSU when he was coach they were told they had come the closest to the death penalty of any school since SMU (up to that time).

MustangGT
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
We will never see another death penalty again, the violations would have to be 100x worse than what SMU did, I just don't think they will do it again. Pat Jones has talked about when they handed the penalties handed down at OSU when he was coach they were told they had come the closest to the death penalty of any school since SMU (up to that time).

Never say never. Univ of Miami is acting as if they expect it. For what they did they deserve it. The behavior swirling around that program makes SMU look like a stubbed toe.

bluedogok
06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Never say never. Univ of Miami is acting as if they expect it. For what they did they deserve it. The behavior swirling around that program makes SMU look like a stubbed toe.
I think Sha-la-la would kill the program before the NCAA would.

MustangGT
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
I think Sha-la-la would kill the program before the NCAA would.

When you look at what they are doing that is exactely how it looks to fans and residents of the area.

ljbab728
07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
There are increasing calls for the football "death penalty" for Penn State even if it's unlikely.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/penn-state-should-lose-football-privileges-dealth-penalty-in-wake-of-freeh-report-child-sex-abuse-071212?ocid=xnetr6-4

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48126484/ns/sports-college_football/

MikeOKC
07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Read this Newsweek story.... http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/13/buzz-bissinger-ban-penn-state-football.html

It's clear something serious is going to have to happen to Penn State. Growing calls for the "death penalty". I didn't think this was a real possibility, but too many people who I wouldn't have suspected, are calling for just that, and they have a valid argument. This cover-up WAS done to protect the competitive level of the football team. To not hand out the harshest penalty of all might be the wrong message at the wrong time. Nothing would surprise me after the Freeh Report. As damning a report on an athletic program as I've ever read.

Just the facts
07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Penn State should be lucky to survive as an educational institution, let alone have an athletic program.

Roadhawg
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Penn St. will survive and it won't get the death penalty. The NCAA has to look at what NCAA rules were violated, not laws broken. The NCAA learned a lesson with the death penalty the last time they used it, was it SMU?, and how it affected the other teams and the whole conference.

MikeOKC
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Penn St. will survive and it won't get the death penalty. The NCAA has to look at what NCAA rules were violated, not laws broken. The NCAA learned a lesson with the death penalty the last time they used it, was it SMU?, and how it affected the other teams and the whole conference.

I hear what you're saying, Roadhawg, however.....I'm sure nobody would have even thought to need to include in the NCAA rule book that coaches and those associated with the athletic program not rape children in the shower and that said institution should not report it and proceed to cover it up to keep the football program free from scandal in order to remain competitive. It's not an NCAA "rules violation" because nobody would have thought there's a need to include such travesties. If this doesn't rise to the level of an egregious infraction to remain competitive (their wording for the death penalty) - I guess I don't know what one would be.

ou48A
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Very bad, but what NCAA violations were committed and when?
Isn’t there is an NCAA statute of limitations?

The culture around the institution with its fan base needs to change.
Rather than giving PSU the death penalty, if it’s possible I would rather see the NCAA force PSU to play all road games for at least one season.
The culture of corruption in the B1G is nowhere close to the old SWC. So there is no need to punish others.

MikeOKC
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Very bad, but what NCAA violations were committed and when?
Isn’t there is an NCAA statute of limitations?

The culture around the institution with its fan base needs to change.
Rather than giving PSU the death penalty, if it’s possible I would rather see the NCAA force PSU to play all road games for at least one season.
The culture of corruption in the B1G is nowhere close to the old SWC. So there is no need to punish others.

I made a few edits to my post above to address the rules violation. I agree about the culture and the pressure to succeed. We see that up close and personal in our own state. I really wish we could be like the rest of the world and keep our excitement for sports separated from our universities for higher education. I say that as one who enjoys college football, but it's a sham as far as "student athletes" go and the pressure to succeed is at the pro level. It's just insanity.

Just the facts
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
So pay an athlete $200 buck to NOT work at local dealership and the schools gets TV ban or Bowl ban. **** a child in the *** and they have to play all road games? This is proof positive that a growing number of sports fans have their priorities way out of wack. MikeOKC - I think I like yor idea of removing 'sports' from the college environment.

Laramie
07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Face it, no death penalty in college football for Penn State.

The NCAA made that mistake once before and if anyone deserves the 'Death Penalty' in football, it is Penn State. You won't see that happening with programs like Southern California, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, Alabama or Auburn. Initiating the so-called 'death penalty' was to make an example of a college institution and it did just that. There are too many people who are affected by a 'death penalty' blow and the ones who you are trying to impact are usually gone from the program by the time that occurs.

venture
07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19600940/video-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-will-not-rule-out-death-penalty-for-penn-state

NCAA President Mark Emmert will not rule out death penalty for Penn State

"This is completely different than an impermissible benefits scandal like [what] happened at SMU, or anything else we've dealt with," Emmert explained. "This is as systemic a cultural problem as it is a football problem. There have been people that said this wasn't a football scandal.

"Well, it was more than a football scandal, much more than a football scandal. It was that but much more. And we'll have to figure out exactly what the right penalties are. I don't know that past precedent makes particularly good sense in this case, because it's really an unprecedented problem."

So there is the NCAA president pretty much laying it out that they are looking at everything including the death penalty. Which I guess they kind of have to.

ljbab728
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
A local call for a voluntary death penalty.

http://newsok.com/penn-state-needs-to-shut-down-football-program-on-its-own/article/3693269

Just the facts
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
2 years isn't long enough. It should be 5 years. When the first game is played at Penn St after the hiatus, no student in the stands should have attended a Penn St home football game while a student at Penn St. That is how you cleanse the system.

kevinpate
07-18-2012, 09:39 AM
2 years isn't long enough. It should be 5 years. When the first game is played at Penn St after the hiatus, no student in the stands should have attended a Penn St home football game while a student at Penn St. That is how you cleanse the system.

Was it current students who were responsible for the problems? News to me, but I admit I dinna follow the story very closely. I thought it was coaches, friends, administrators and the donor wallets they did not wish to offend. Wouldn't it make more sense to ban the full grown adults involved, for life, and send any donors involved in the shush-up, if any, packing, also for life? I realize several are gone, but is everyone who had a hand in it gone? That I don't know.

Placing the weight of it on the shoulders of babydult students for something they had nada to do with seems an odd pathway to me.

Just the facts
07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Anyone involved in the actual cover-up should be in jail. Cleansing the university and athletic department is different than criminal punishment. If you followed this story closely you will see that the 'excuse making' on behalf of Penn State fans is sickening. That thought process has to be removed form the collective minds of Penn St followers and the only way to do that is to create a new fan base (or as close to as can be accomplished).

venture
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/jim-delany-wants-the-power-to-fire-coaches/30771

Big Ten commissioner wants the power to fire coaches at the member universities to avoid things getting covered up by a school. It is also being discussed should Penn State get a ban, to expel the school from the Big Ten completely. They would need the vote of 8 out of the 12 schools.

Spartan
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Well they will never replace the kiddie fiddlers with the school they've always wanted...

venture
07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Sounds like the NCAA is going to be crushing Penn State completely tomorrow.

Death Penalty is not being used, however sources were telling CNN and CBS Sports that it is worse. This is what is expected...

$30 to 60 million fine
First every president's punishment being exercised by the NCAA head.
Multi-year post season ban.
Elimination of a significant number of scholarships

Essentially it seems like the hammer is coming down and PSU will be done as a competitive FBS team for years to come. The question will have to be asked, does the Big Ten kick them out and seek a replacement team now.

ljbab728
07-23-2012, 12:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

With some interesting comments.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

Unbelievable," said a Penn State trustee informed of the NCAA statement, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. "Unbelievable, unbelievable." The Penn State trustees' hope that the statue's removal might send a positive message was trumped by the NCAA, which had already decided.

"Emmert has been given full reign by the pansy presidents (at other universities) to make his own decision," said the trustee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He has been given the authority to impose these unprecedented sanctions. It's horrible."

It's obvious that this Penn State trustee still just doesn't get it.

Just the facts
07-23-2012, 06:53 AM
It's obvious that this Penn State trustee still just doesn't get it.

That is why nothing other than ending the football program at Penn St for atleast 5 years will get their minds right. Maybe it should even be one year per victim.

venture
07-23-2012, 08:00 AM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/23/source-penn-state-to-be-hit-with-fines-in-excess-of-30-million/?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/19637974/penn-state-hit-with-crippling-penalties

"The NCAA imposed a $60 million sanction on the university, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university. The sanctions also include a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins from 1998 through 2011. The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records. Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. In addition, the NCAA reserves the right to impose additional sanctions on involved individuals at the conclusion of any criminal proceedings."

Big Ten is set to announce its own penalties later today.

onthestrip
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I dont have a problem with the NCAA vacating wins and fining them $60 mil but it does suck for current players who had nothing to do with it the tragic events to be punished like they are.

Just the facts
07-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Current players are free to leave. If they choose to maintain a relationship with Penn St that is their choice. Some people chose to stay aboard the Titanic also.

venture
07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I dont have a problem with the NCAA vacating wins and fining them $60 mil but it does suck for current players who had nothing to do with it the tragic events to be punished like they are.

Yeah. Though the players are now free to transfer without restrictions and schools that take them ( as it is appearing now) will be able to have the scholarship limit waived. Though there are some players that are just going on and taking this as a rallying cry to fight back. Completely the wrong attitude to have, IMO, when it comes to the situation. Those would be kids that I would definitely not want to have in my program.

venture
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Big Ten apparently has now banned Penn State from the Big Ten title game for 4 years. They also will not receive the bowl game revenue for four years, which is $15M a year.

kevinpate
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Big Ten apparently has now banned Penn State from the Big Ten title game for 4 years. They also will not receive the bowl game revenue for four years, which is $15M a year.

In light of the lost scholarships, immediate and future, and the possibility (probability?) of players transferring to other programs, the title game ban seems of little import. Hitting the program's pocket book, in an amount equal to the ncaa fine, would serve to sting a fair degree.

venture
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
So more specifics...

The Big Ten penalties will be for $13 a year and will be donated to children's charities.

The NCAA scholarship penalty is for 10 initial and 20 total each year for a four year period. So only 15 freshman may be offered them (down from 25) and only 65 total per year (down from 85).

ljbab728
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
A few in the Penn State heirarchy are just determined to not let this die.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8240385/penn-state-nittany-lions-trustees-appeal-ncaa-vow-federal-lawsuit

A Penn State board of trustee member filed an appeal Monday afternoon with the NCAA over sanctions levied against the university after the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal.

Three other trustees joined the appeal, which states that the consent decree university president Rodney Erickson signed with the NCAA agreeing to the sanctions is "null and void" because Erickson "lacked the legal authority" to enter into such an agreement without the board's approval.

venture
08-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Wow they are stupid. Sure...go ahead and tell the NCAA that the previous agreement doesn't mean anything. Then see how well they deal with a 4-year Death Penalty.

BoulderSooner
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Wow they are stupid. Sure...go ahead and tell the NCAA that the previous agreement doesn't mean anything. Then see how well they deal with a 4-year Death Penalty.

that was a threat without much to back it up .. the NCAA president doesn't have the power to impose sanctions ...(he only could against penn st because they agreed that he could) ...

ljbab728
08-07-2012, 08:45 PM
that was a threat without much to back it up .. the NCAA president doesn't have the power to impose sanctions ...(he only could against penn st because they agreed that he could) ...

It wasn't just a threat from the NCAA president.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

If Penn State had not accepted the package of NCAA sanctions announced Monday, the Nittany Lions faced a historic death penalty of four years, university president Rodney Erickson told "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday afternoon.

In a separate interview, NCAA president Mark Emmert confirmed that a core group of NCAA school presidents had agreed early last week that an appropriate punishment was no Penn State football for four years.

Emmert told Erickson in a phone conversation on July 17 that a majority of the NCAA's leadership wanted to levy the four-year penalty because of Penn State's leaders' roles in covering up the child sexual abuse of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

BoulderSooner
08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
It wasn't just a threat from the NCAA president.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

the NCAA leadership .. doesn't impose sanctions either .... they have a very set procedure they didn't follow it ... which doesn't matter because penn st president signed the agreement ... unless he didn't have the authority to sign the deal ....

MustangGT
08-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Which is what should have happened to begin with.

ljbab728
08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
the NCAA leadership .. doesn't impose sanctions either .... they have a very set procedure they didn't follow it ... which doesn't matter because penn st president signed the agreement ... unless he didn't have the authority to sign the deal ....

Please note this.

http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Process/Charging

The only thing the NCAA didn't do was conduct their own investigation. They accepted the Freeh Report as the completed investigation. It clearly states that if the school accepts the findings it goes directly to the "summary dispostion". They don't have to go before a committee. That is what transpired. The only issue is if the school president was authorized to accept the punishment for the school.

Just the facts
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Clearly Penn State fans aren't getting the message. They really do need to be beaten into submission.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/09/controversial-t-shirt-sold-at-bookstore-on-penn-states-campus/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The recent sanctions against Penn State University and its football program have left many people upset and some have decided to take their frustrations out on the NCAA.

The Student Bookstore, an independent Penn State store just off campus, is selling t-shirts dubbed the “NCAA Overstepping” shirt.

What has caught people’s attention is that the front of the shirt reads: “NCAA National Communist Athletic Association,” with the “C” designed to look like the Communist symbol.

ljbab728
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Clearly Penn State fans aren't getting the message. They really do need to be beaten into submission.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/09/controversial-t-shirt-sold-at-bookstore-on-penn-states-campus/

Of course there's nothing to keep the school from leaving the NCAA organization that so many of them hold in disdain. Let's see how that works out for those fans.

bluedogok
08-09-2012, 09:27 PM
The NAIA would probably welcome them......

Just the facts
08-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Of course there's nothing to keep the school from leaving the NCAA organization that so many of them hold in disdain. Let's see how that works out for those fans.

If nothing else it will save them $40 million right off the top.

ljbab728
02-02-2013, 01:40 AM
I tried to put this in a new thread but for some reason new threads aren't working tonight. If the moderators can change it to a new thread that would be great.

While it can't compare to Penn State's problems, it looks like UT may be having issues of their own.

Texas' Applewhite had 'inappropriate, consensual relationship' with student - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21628848/texas-applewhite-had-inappropriate-consensual-relationship-with-student)

The Texas Board of Regents has called an emergency meeting for February 3

He has always seemed to have a squeeky clean image but that may be about ready to change.

There is little in the way of details but it will probably come out.

As to why this is a story after it happened four years ago.

If you’re wondering why the story is coming out now if it took place in 2009, we have some ideas.

Former Texas women’s track and field coach Bev Kearney resigned last month after she was investigated for having a sexual relationship with one of her athletes in 2002.

Kearney’s attorney says the woman with whom his client had an affair came forward about the inappropriate relationship at a time when Kearney was about to ask the school for a $150,000/year raise and new five-year deal. According to CNN, Kearney and her attorney, Derek A. Howard, were planning to discuss her legal options. He said they were considering a gender and race bias lawsuit.

CNN reported that Howard planned to file open-records requests with the school in early January. He reportedly claimed that male coaches and professors at the school had similar relationships and weren’t punished.

Rather than have the news about Applewhite emerge through Howard, Texas probably felt it would be best to get in front of the story by releasing the statements. They also probably felt going public with the story would discount Howard’s gender bias claim.