View Full Version : Are window tinting laws here not enforced?

Achilleslastand
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I know tinting the front windshield is illegal except for a strip that covers the top few inches. Every other car on the road does seem to have some tinting on the front windshield,so if this one of those laws thats on the books but never is enforced?

Roadhawg
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Every other car? I don't think I've seen one that has illegal tinting on the front windsheild.

Achilleslastand
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Any tinting at all is illegal on the front windshield except above the manufacturers AS-1 line which depending on make/model is up to 10 inches i believe.
Yes and quite a bit of cars have the fronts tinted.

Snowman
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
It may be something they only hit you with a ticket when you are a jerk when stopped for something else, some of the suburbs are strict about it. It seems like I have see less patrol cars in the metro watching for speeding and other vehicular infractions in general over the last five to ten years.

venture
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Would love to see people with the mirror tint and extremely dark window tint ticketed and towed to ensure it is removed. The other thing that should be illegal are the tail light covers that make them so dark you really can't even tell when they are braking.

BBatesokc
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I've seen a few front tinted windows.

Many cars I've owned were technically illegally tinted on the sides and back. I've never been ticketed not heard of anyone in OKC ticketed and I know a lot of people on the south side with very dark tint.

That said, I personally know two people that were ticketed in Edmond and I've heard of others.

Roadhawg
06-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Many cars I've owned were technically illegally tinted on the sides and back. I've never been ticketed not heard of anyone in OKC ticketed and I know a lot of people on the south side with very dark tint.

That said, I personally know two people that were ticketed in Edmond and I've heard of others.

I don't think the cops worry about it unless you're pulled over for something else.

MustangGT
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
IIRC the ordinances were vacated as being unenforceable and unnecessarily broad. I will look into it next week tho.

RadicalModerate
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I think that any laws regarding the amount of tinting on any vehicular glass surfaces is an infringement on the rights of celebrities to their privacy.

I also think that this gives police officers the right to apply whatever means necessary to break out any vehicular glass surfaces as deemed necessary and expedient in order to protect their personal well-being.

I'm voting on the side of choosing less glass tinting as a reasonable alternative pointing in the direction of a Win/Win situation.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Edmond has been cracking down hard on tint violations for the last year or two.

I've had my windshield tinted before...And I'd advise against it. It looks GREAT, but it makes it impossible to see out very well at night. But I had 5% on all the side windows and 15% on the windshield. The interior on that car was blacker than the inside of a cow.

Roadhawg
06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
I wonder if someday we'll have car windows like transitional eyeglasses that get dark in the sun and clear at night.

kevinpate
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I wonder if someday we'll have car windows like transitional eyeglasses that get dark in the sun and clear at night.

Would be nice ... real nice.

BradR
06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I didn't even know we still had enforced tinting laws. I always put 5% tint on my cars as soon as I get them.

WilliamTell
06-23-2012, 03:59 AM
This is just my two cents - But i wonder if its because of the level of tint thats coming out on factory cars anymore. It seems like most models, espcially SUV's or trucks come stock with extremely dark tint. I know a few people have commented about my tint after i purchased a new car but its what it was delivered with from the dealer.

BBatesokc
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
This is just my two cents - But i wonder if its because of the level of tint thats coming out on factory cars anymore. It seems like most models, espcially SUV's or trucks come stock with extremely dark tint. I know a few people have commented about my tint after i purchased a new car but its what it was delivered with from the dealer.

Most models are about 20% and it is usually a dye in the glass and not a film.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-29-2012, 02:39 PM
It's also generally not on the driver and passenger windows. The factory doesn't put it on them...But the dealership may put it on there (usually farms it out to a couple of different places like Dealer's Aftermarket).

Cocaine
07-04-2012, 02:16 AM
I don't think the cops worry about it unless you're pulled over for something else.

Well it's more of just an excuse to pull someone over. Because you can be pulled over having tinted windows or having your brights on a street with no street lights on. So if you have dark windows don't ride dirty because you will get caught.

rcjunkie
07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Well it's more of just an excuse to pull someone over. Because you can be pulled over having tinted windows or having your brights on a street with no street lights on. So if you have dark windows don't ride dirty because you will get caught.

Fear of getting caught should be the last reason you "ride dirty".

JayhawkTransplant
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
The windows on my car are actually illegally dark...not the windshield, though. It was a pre-owned car, and I purchased it that way. I have been pulled over a few times in it (once for a suspected seatbelt violation, but I had my seatbelt on!!) and the police officers have never mentioned my windows.

Maynard
07-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Happy '4th'!

jyszP2M8LFI