View Full Version : Shame on Mercy Hospital???

RadicalModerate
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
So, I just drove by Mercy Hospital and there was a large banner, bearing the message: "Shame on Mercy Hospital (labor dispute)" at the corner of Meridian and Memorial . . . with somebody doing a "Kilroy Was Here" impression (with their face hanging over the center of the banner).

Wuzzup with that?

(I'm thinkin' that you don't want to be messin' with the selfless--Roman Catholic--angels of mercy laying up treasure in heaven and that this all must be a misunderstanding . . . but I could be wrong. In any case, it's something you don't see everyday . . .)

Jon27
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I saw that too, and was wondering about it. I didn't think Mercy was Union. If they aren't, someone should tell the people standing behind the sign they might need to update their resumes.

bluedogok
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Usually it is a union protesting, the cases that I have seen is the union is protesting the general contractor hiring non-union workers for a project being done for the ones the union are supposedly protesting. The union hires day laborers who know nothing about what they are protesting, just paying them cash with no benefits...kind of ironic, isn't it? There was another thread about it with a story the NBC affiliate did about one of the "Shame On" protests here in Denver. There were also protests at my wifes church in Austin with the pastors name on it instead of the general contractors name.

Typical union misinformation using non-union labor as protestors, maybe they should protest themselves......

Jon27
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Usually it is a union protesting, the cases that I have seen is the union is protesting the general contractor hiring non-union workers for a project being done for the ones the union are supposedly protesting. The union hires day laborers who know nothing about what they are protesting, just paying them cash with no benefits...kind of ironic, isn't it? There was another thread about it with a story the NBC affiliate did about one of the "Shame On" protests here in Denver. There were also protests at my wifes church in Austin with the pastors name on it instead of the general contractors name.

Typical union misinformation using non-union labor as protestors, maybe they should protest themselves......

Figures.......great explanation. Wasn't aware of all of that. Unions served a purpose 50-60 years ago, but now more greedy than the corporations they protest. I love how they say they are pro-labor. Yet they are making people lose their jobs rather than creating them. Someone's pockets are getting deep, and those effected can't seem to realize what's going on. Just my opinion.

mugofbeer
06-12-2012, 09:02 PM
It is a union - same organization that is doing this across the country. Can't speak for OKC, but in Denver they have a banner across the street from my office. One of the TV stations did a story and found that they are protesting construction crews working in buildings who aren't union. However, the people they have manning the "Shame On..." banner are street people they hire for $8/hr and have no benefits. They don't even pay the "protesters" a union scale.

Its The Local of the Southwest Regional Council of Carpenters.

bretthexum
06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
They have a shame on JC Penney sign here in Minneapolis. Sounds related to this stupidity.

MustangGT
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
If they have to hire stooges to man the sign that really says all that needs to be known about the union and the issues.

kevinpate
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
If they have to hire stooges to man the sign that really says all that needs to be known about the union and the issues.

But on a brighter note, it provides at least a potential for some of those tax form prep shops in statute of liberty costumes to have a no costume gig after April comes and goes.