View Full Version : Article: Good Luck OKlahoma City!: Hornet Fan's Perspective

mmonroe
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/good-luck-oklahoma-city-thunder-hornet-fans-perspective-123200980--nba.html

Good Luck OKlahoma City!: Hornet Fan's Perspective

Oklahoma City Thunder

The Oklahoma City Thunder are one win away from their first trip to the NBA Finals. And while most Hornets fans in New Orleans are thinking about Anthony Davis, I will be tuning in to TNT tonight to cheer on the Thunder as they face the San Antonio Spurs.

Hurricane Katrina

My love and respect for Oklahoma City and its fans began when the New Orleans Hornets temporarily relocated there after Katrina. While most New Orleans fans were angry that Oklahoma City lobbied to keep the Hornets, I never held that against OKC. Who could blame Oklahoma City for wanting an NBA franchise of its own?

And this probably won't win me many friends in New Orleans, but the fact is that Oklahoma City supported the Hornets better from 2005 to 2007 than they have ever been supported in New Orleans. I for one respected and appreciated the support given to the Hornets while New Orleans rebuilt its city.

Seattle Sonics

The great fans in Oklahoma City finally got an NBA team of their own when the Seattle Sonics relocated there and became the Thunder. What should have been a celebratory moment in Oklahoma City was criticized throughout the NBA. Many pundits felt the Sonics should have never left Seattle.

Whether the owners, fans or politicians were to blame for Seattle losing the Sonics, it was not Oklahoma City's fault. I know how it feels for a new NBA city to get criticized when a team moves there. The media still seems to be angry at New Orleans for getting the Hornets. And in 2012, NBA experts still occasionally call my team the Charlotte Hornets!

Russell Westbrook

Last season, I couldn't believe the vitriol levied against Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook. The national media felt that Westbrook was taking too many shots, thus reducing Kevin Durant's shots. The fact is a point guard who can score is one of the most valuable players in basketball because opponents don't know how to defend him.

I even wrote an article in the offseason proposing that the New Orleans Hornets trade Chris Paul to the Thunder in exchange for Russell Westbrook. Fortunately, Oklahoma City is a lot smarter than the national media and the Thunder realized how valuable Westbrook was to their team.

2011-12 NBA season

In two separate articles, I picked the Oklahoma City Thunder to be the best team in the Western Conference and I picked Kevin Durant to win the MVP award. Although I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Spurs and their commitment to excellence while playing like professionals, their time has passed.

I believe we are seeing the beginning of a dynasty in Oklahoma City. Thunder coach Scott Brooks is the most underrated coach in the NBA. As a New Orleans Hornets fan, I love everything that is happening with the Oklahoma City Thunder for all the reasons stated above.

The Oklahoma City Thunder have the support of at least one Hornets fan in New Orleans!