View Full Version : 2012 NBA Finals - Thunder vs. Heat / Celtics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ljbab728
06-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I would hate to fall into the trap of thinking too far ahead but it might be interesting to start looking at a potential matchup in the Finals. It looks like Boston is following OKC's script in their series with the Heat. They can win the East with a win at home on Thursday. Am I correct that an OKC - Boston matchup would give the Thunder home court advantage?

CCOKC
06-05-2012, 09:32 PM
We would have home court versus either team. The first game is Tuesday the 12th in either OKC or San Antonio.

Pete
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
As fans, we don't have to play the game so we can think whatever we want!

I'm super excited because I'll be in OKC during most the finals and it's almost too much to hope that we'll still be playing. But I've really got my hopes up now.

ljbab728
06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I hope you could get tickets, Pete. You sure won't be watching the games in Thunder Alley. LOL

CCOKC
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm just glad I am a season ticket holder and don't have to worry about where I am going to be for all of the games. I am too nervous to predict the winner tomorrow night. I have been an NBA fan since 1979 and just cannot believe I get to see a future hall of famer play with my own eyes. Believe me, I know what a good thing that this community has been blessed with.

Bellaboo
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm just glad I am a season ticket holder and don't have to worry about where I am going to be for all of the games. I am too nervous to predict the winner tomorrow night. I have been an NBA fan since 1979 and just cannot believe I get to see a future hall of famer play with my own eyes. Believe me, I know what a good thing that this community has been blessed with.

We are so lucky, we could be doing this (finals) for several years to come. I too am a season ticket holder, and I'm trying not to be overly optomistic for tonight.....

SoonerDave
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey, this is an awesome time for OKC. I must admit I *never*, repeat *never* thought OKC would ever have a pro sports franchise, let alone have a truly authentic shot at a championship title. Unbelievable.

And for those of you who have tickets, hold on to those things like gold, because they may be the hardest ticket around since OU-Texas!! Tried to put out some feelers for some as a surprise to my kiddo and there just aren't any to be had (clarifying that the $8,500 floor seats on stubhub are out of my budget :)

ThunderUp!

Pete
06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey, this is an awesome time for OKC. I must admit I *never*, repeat *never* thought OKC would ever have a pro sports franchise, let alone have a truly authentic shot at a championship title. Unbelievable.

I will admit to thinking the same way about OKC never being able to get or support a pro team.

And now we are legitimate contenders for a world title... I still sometimes have a hard time believing it.

Lord Helmet
06-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Ugh. You guys better not be jinxing us!

Pete
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I know, there is still this dark fear we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Still, I wouldn't bet against us.

SoonerBoy18
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I mist admit, I was a Laker fan before I knew Oklahoma City Thunder was actually an NBA team, I use to think they were some D-league team, up until we played the Lakers in the 1st round of the 2010 playoffs. After the Lakers beat us that year, I went back to supporting the Lakers until they won their title. I didnt no much about the NBA since it was my first time ever watching it but for some reason I hated the Boston Celtics, and I still cant believe we are one win away from playing THEM (Boston, a team whos been there and done it). I am so happy for our team and our city.

Matt
06-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Let's do this. Again.

Dustin
06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
FINALS FINALS FINALS FINALS!! OMG OMG OMG! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I'm so excited!

Pete
06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Unbelievable.

Incredible.

Fantastic.

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
OK, so now do we hope for playing tradition (Celtics) or stars (Miami) in the finals?

Dustin
06-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm wearing my Thunder shirt to work tomorrow. I don't care what anyone says...

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I think I tend more toward the Celtics instead of watching Labron.

Easy180
06-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Fine either way...Would rather watch a Heat-Thunder matchup but think it would be easier to beat another OLD team

Matt
06-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Here’s the schedule. All times are Central, and every game will be shown on ABC.

Game 1: Tues., June 12 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.
Game 2: Thurs., June 14 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Sun., June 17 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 7 p.m.
Game 4: Tues., June 19 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 8 p.m.
*Game 5: Thurs., June 21 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 8 p.m.
*Game 6: Sun., June 24 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 7 p.m.
*Game 7: Tues., June 26 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
This could certainly change but the latest odds I saw for winning the championship are:

OKC - 1/1
Miami - 13/4
Boston - 9/2

http://www.betvega.com/odds-to-win-nba-championship/

All of the the TNT talking heads are basically picking OKC. Shaq says the world want to see KD versus Lebron.

Matt
06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Season record against the Celtics:

Jan. 16 - OKC 97, BOS 88
Feb. 22 - BOS 104, OKC 119 (DNP: Rondo)

And the Heat:

Mar. 25 - MIA 87, OKC 103
Apr. 4 - OKC 93, MIA 98

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
A limited number of tickets for first two games go on sale on Saturday.

http://www.koco.com/sports/thunder/NBA-Finals-Tickets-for-Games-1-2-on-sale-Saturday/-/12398332/14726216/-/ea50iw/-/index.html

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Current ESPN poll.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=3058

58% favoring Boston to face OKC.

69% favoring OKC to take the title.

54% rooting for OKC to take the title. (Who would have ever thought that?) The only states not for the Thunder are Florida (no surprise), Kentucky, West Virginia, and the New England states.

Even the state of Washington is rooting for the Thunder.

Spartan
06-06-2012, 11:44 PM
People love the little engine that could. I think OKC, the smallest yet most successful market in the NBA, also has arguably the most exciting and entertaining brand of basketball in the league right now. The young guns are riveting.

Matt
06-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Random Tweets of note. . .

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
If Thunder win Game 6, they'll have beaten West's last three champions to reach NBA Finals. Elias says that's never happened

Royce Young ‏@dailythunder
The Thunder went through the Mavericks, the Lakers and the Spurs. Also known as the last 13 Western Conference champions.

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
So, if 94.2% of teams up 2-0 advance, it means cumulative probability of OKC-Bos Finals was 0.3% -- that's 3-in-1,000 -- on Thursday.

Numbers Never Lie ‏@ESPN_Numbers
3 = the Thunder are only the 3rd team in NBA history to win 4 straight games in the conference finals after trailing 2-0.

ljbab728
06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
It won't matter in the least in the results but now the percentage rooting for OKC in the ESPN poll is up to 56%.

blangtang
06-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Here’s the schedule. All times are Central, and every game will be shown on ABC.

Game 1: Tues., June 12 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.
Game 2: Thurs., June 14 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Sun., June 17 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 7 p.m.
Game 4: Tues., June 19 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 8 p.m.
*Game 5: Thurs., June 21 - Oklahoma City at Boston/Miami, 8 p.m.
*Game 6: Sun., June 24 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 7 p.m.
*Game 7: Tues., June 26 - Boston/Miami at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.

Let me get this right cuz I don't pay too close attention to details - the NBA does a 2-2-1-1-1 in the early rounds of the playoffs but does a 2-3-2 in the finals?

Also, looking at the schedule you posted, there are no Fri/Sat games. What a bummer for the people who like to get rowdy on the weekends!

ljbab728
06-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Not exactly about basketball but a fun video that Steve posted on his blog.

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/06/06/yeah/#respond

ljbab728
06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
An interesting and gracious comment from Popovich.

“As sad and disappointed as we are, you really have to think about it almost like a Hollywood script for OKC in a sense,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

“They went through Dallas, last year’s NBA champion, then they went through the Lakers, then they went through us. Those three teams represent 10 of the last 13 championships, and now they’re going to go to The Finals and play either Boston or Miami, and that’ll be 11 of the last 13 championships.

“I don’t know if anybody has ever had a run or gone through a playoff playing those kinds of teams. It’s just incredible, and I think it’s pretty cool for them.

Matt
06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Let me get this right cuz I don't pay too close attention to details - the NBA does a 2-2-1-1-1 in the early rounds of the playoffs but does a 2-3-2 in the finals?

Yep.

Also, looking at the schedule you posted, there are no Fri/Sat games. What a bummer for the people who like to get rowdy on the weekends!

Yep. It's all about TV ratings.

This opinion piece (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/06/08/change_format_and_give_it_a_rest/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news) is a couple of years old, but it addresses both of those things:

When questioned about the 2-3-2 NBA Finals format recently, commissioner David Stern attributed the change, now 25 years old, to Red Auerbach, who had complained that heavy travel for Games 5, 6, and 7 affected the quality of basketball.

In those days, back-to-backs for Games 1 and 2 and Games 3 and 4 were common and Red was right; given the schedule, which allowed off days only if there was a change of venue, the increased travel as the series wore on affected play.

That is no longer the case, yet the NBA seems married to this format that is annoying more than anything else.

(snip)

Stern has the power to make changes, but the question is whether he wants to because one of his primary goals is satisfying television demands.

A former NBA player questioned why the NBA doesn’t push Game 3 to Wednesday, then play Game 4 Friday and Game 5 Sunday. A grand idea, except television wants to avoid Friday night because of ratings.

The NBA could have scheduled Game 1 of this series last Friday, but the series started on Thursday for a reason. Stern is listening to his masters and if ABC wants two weekday games and then a Sunday game for ratings, that’s what Stern will do. But adhering to television requests as well as making for a fair series forces the league into some difficult decisions.

(snip)

And if the NBA is fine with the other playoff series in a 2-2-1-1-1 format, why are the Finals different? Stern dropped the responsibility in the lap of Auerbach, who eventually acknowledged he didn’t like the format.

Although Stern has more pressing responsibilities trying to formulate a new collective bargaining agreement, the commissioner can no longer throw up his hands and blame a 25-year-old conversation with Auerbach because of the format. He has the power to collaborate with ABC for an amicable 2-2-1-1-1 format that would satisfy television, because ABC/ESPN had no trouble with the Celtics-Magic series or even the Celtics-Cavaliers seven-game thriller two years ago.

Something hasn’t seemed right with the Finals since the format changed, and the progressive Stern should finally admit this trend has run its course. The NBA is the only professional league in which the finals format differs from the rest of the playoffs, and that makes no sense.

Stern scoffed at Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy’s earlier suggestion that the playoff series are too spread out and back-to-backs need to return. So if that old-school idea was so preposterous, why is he holding on to 2-3-2?

It’s time for Stern to blend a little of the progressive and old school, and he is brilliant enough to devise a format that would satisfy all parties because 2-3-2 will never stop giving off that uneasy feeling.

Pete
06-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Love this excerpt from ESPN:

They are the worthiest of conference representatives, running a historical gantlet of kings. In three playoff rounds they have defeated the Lakers, Mavericks and Spurs, gotten past Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki and Duncan, the three teams and star players who had accounted for every Western Conference championship since 1999 and won the NBA Finals a collective 10 times.

The young Thunder, who start four players who don't meet the 25-years age minimum required to rent a car, even manage to astonish the older heads in their own locker room.

Snowman
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Current ESPN poll.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=3058

58% favoring Boston to face OKC.

69% favoring OKC to take the title.

54% rooting for OKC to take the title. (Who would have ever thought that?) The only states not for the Thunder are Florida (no surprise), Kentucky, West Virginia, and the New England states.

Even the state of Washington is rooting for the Thunder.

Interesting difference in survey:

Percent wanting for OKC to win in Oklahoma: 98%
Percent wanting for Boston to win in Massachusetts: 88%
Percent wanting for Miami to win in Florida: 52%

Pete
06-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I would really love the Thunder to incorporate a third uniform design that features O-K-C, ala the Suns and PHX. Atlanta has done something similar as well.

The OKC tag has now become completely recognized around the country (you hear commentators using it all the time, and even opposing players) and I think it would be great to help brand the city even more:

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/arizona_sportspage/Steve%20Nash%20photo.jpg

http://www.wahoowire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/atl.jpg

Easy180
06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Love this excerpt from ESPN:

Something tells me KD is able to rent a car when he pops up at the front desk lol

Matt
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I would really love the Thunder to incorporate a third uniform design that features O-K-C, ala the Suns and PHX. Atlanta has done something similar as well.

The OKC tag has now become completely recognized around the country (you hear commentators using it all the time, and even opposing players) and I think it would be great to help brand the city even more:

I've been thinking about what a possible alternate jersey might look like, whenever they decide to do one. I like the OKC idea, but I was thinking more about what color they would go with. Probably either navy blue or orange. Orange would be cool, since so few teams use it (the Suns and who else?), but that probably wouldn't sit too well with the Sooner Nation.

Lord Helmet
06-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been thinking about what a possible alternate jersey might look like, whenever they decide to do one. I like the OKC idea, but I was thinking more about what color they would go with. Probably either navy blue or orange. Orange would be cool, since so few teams use it (the Suns and who else?), but that probably wouldn't sit too well with the Sooner Nation.

I'm a huge Sooners fan....and I could give a crap what color the 3rd jersey might be. Orange would be cool.

Bellaboo
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Something tells me KD is able to rent a car when he pops up at the front desk lol

In the last few years, most states require car rental companies to allow rentals starting at 21 years old. It changed just a few years back.

Pete
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
The color of orange used by the Thunder is kind of red-orange and I think that would be great, especially with blue numbers and lettering outlined in white.

The Knicks have used orange, but not often. I think the Thunder orange would be darker than this:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2n0u9u0.jpg

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Do not care for the orange Thunder car flags I have been seeing lately...Thunder Blue or go home

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
So why does the away team get the 3 game advantage first? Seems if 2-2-1-1-1 works for the other rounds, should work for the final round

Matt
06-07-2012, 10:04 AM
The color of orange used by the Thunder is kind of red-orange and I think that would be great, especially with blue numbers and lettering outlined in white.

The Knicks have used orange, but not often. I think the Thunder orange would be darker than this:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2n0u9u0.jpg

That's a Photoshop.

http://i.imgur.com/REprt.jpg

I don't think the Knicks have ever worn orange jerseys. Their current alternate is green, but they only wear it on St. Patrick's Day and Christmas games.

Mel
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Interesting difference in survey:

Percent wanting for OKC to win in Oklahoma: 98%
Percent wanting for Boston to win in Massachusetts: 88%
Percent wanting for Miami to win in Florida: 52%

Its those darn hanging chads making the Florida vote so low. need a re-count.

Ginkasa
06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Nevermind.

Bellaboo
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
So why does the away team get the 3 game advantage first? Seems if 2-2-1-1-1 works for the other rounds, should work for the final round

It's all about less travel and playing the games over a more compact time frame. When both conferences had their finals, we had a game just about every night due to the stagger. When it's down to two teams, they are taking out several travel days with the 2-3-2 format. It reduces the travel days in half.

BoulderSooner
06-07-2012, 12:21 PM
It's all about less travel and playing the games over a more compact time frame. When both conferences had their finals, we had a game just about every night due to the stagger. When it's down to two teams, they are taking out several travel days with the 2-3-2 format. It reduces the travel days in half.

the NBA finals are played over a longer period of time then the east and west finals ...

Matt
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm a huge Sooners fan....and I could give a crap what color the 3rd jersey might be. Orange would be cool.

You may be cool with it, but you know there are a ton of Sooner fans who are complete idiots about that sort of thing.

Bill Robertson
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM

You may be cool with it, but you know there are a ton of Sooner fans who are complete idiots about that sort of thing.I'm a huge OU fan also. I would have no problem with orange for a third Thunder uniform. I hate OSU orange and Texas orange, Thunder orange is just fine! The OU fans that are "complete idiots about that sort of thing" are just idiots.

Bill Robertson
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Back to the thread title. I would rather play the Celtics. I don't want the Heat to make it past this series. LeBron and his "5 Championship Guarantee" made me cringe. I think we'll beat either in 5 or 6 so from that standpoint it doesn't really matter.

Dubya61
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
LeBron stiffed Cleveland in a grand style befitting a true jerk. I'd rather he not even get to the playoffs, period.

Pete
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll be cheering for the Celtics tonight.

However, a matchup with the Heat would be more sexy and would be the additional story of Lebron chasing -- and hopefully being denied -- his ring.

Either way, the home court advantage for us is huge. Can't wait to get started!

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Ok, then, just play the championship series in a neutral location and go 7 games back to back or even every other day (if needed)

jn1780
06-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Streets on the west side of the Chesapeake Energy Arena will close today through June 27 so national media crews can prepare for the NBA finals.

The closure affects:
Robinson from Reno to SW 3
SW 2 from Robinson to Harvey

The Robinson exit from Interstate 40 will remain open, and motorists will be detoured to Shields/Gaylord.

Thunder Up!

Here comes the national attention.

Matt
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Ok, then, just play the championship series in a neutral location and go 7 games back to back or even every other day (if needed)

xlA9bNk3b5Q

kevinpate
06-07-2012, 04:23 PM
A friend of the lovely was way more confident than we were last night. Well in advance of the game, he posted to his FB something along these lines:

What do you call a group of Texas millionaires watching the NBA finals? ........ The Spurs

SoonerBoy18
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I personally thought the NBA does a 2-3-2 format was to favor the team that didnt have home court advantage

ljbab728
06-07-2012, 09:20 PM
The Celtics got rolled tonight and looked totally inept in doing so. Lebron and Miami had a tremendous game but Boston was just terrible anyway. OKC would have stomped them tonight to. Who knows which Boston team will show up for their final game.

Bill Robertson
06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
The Celtics got rolled tonight and looked totally inept in doing so. Lebron and Miami had a tremendous game but Boston was just terrible anyway. OKC would have stomped them tonight to. Who knows which Boston team will show up for their final game.So true. Boston looked pretty good in Miami for game 5 then folded up like a cheap suit from the tipoff last night.

MikeLucky
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
The NBA prefers the 2-3-2 format for the Finals because it's the most likely format to produce a 7 game series...

Pete
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
The pressure will shift back to Miami for Game 7 even though they will be at home.

Both the Heat and Celtics have been wildly inconsistent, but of course, the Heat worries me more.

BoulderSooner
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
The NBA prefers the 2-3-2 format for the Finals because it's the most likely format to produce a 7 game series...

it started 25 years ago .. because the travel from LA to boston in the finals was a strain on the players (red auerbach asked for it)

they have never changed .. that is why it is still around