View Full Version : Dog owners be on the look out.

rondvu
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Just heard from a friend who was walking their dog on 6/2. He was accosted by three guys. They pulled up and one got out and said, “ we are taking your dog” and bulled up to him. He said did the same and said, “ I will kill you before I let you take my dog”. The attempted dog snatcher then did a chest bump and my friend said I mean it and my friend did a chest bump back. Once of the occupants of the car said, “ get back in”. He did so and they drove away.

Upon research he feels that, they ether wanted to resell the dog or to use the dog as a bait dog in dog training. He said by their appearance he would guess the latter. Please let your friends, and neighbors who are pet owners aware of this incident.

PennyQuilts
06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
They'd have to kill me to get my dogs and if they managed to get their hands on them, that would be the last thing they'd touch. The very notion makes my blood boil. Kudos to your friend for standing his ground although if they'd decided to go deadly violent on him, I might not be thinking that. It surprises me that they would accost someone right out in broad daylight with the attendant heightened criminal charges, as opposed to stealing a dog from a yard while someone was at work. What idiots.

MondoMan
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
What part of town did this occur?

kevinpate
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Not that big a surprise to me PQ. I suspect a 3 thug on 1 civilian setting would, more often than not, result in a angry though fearful person wishing they could have stopped it ... after they gave up the pooch. The average joe isn't typically going to chest bump back against those odds.

PennyQuilts
06-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Not that big a surprise to me PQ. I suspect a 3 thug on 1 civilian setting would, more often than not, result in a angry though fearful person wishing they could have stopped it ... after they gave up the pooch. The average joe isn't typically going to chest bump back against those odds.

True enough. It could be prompted by fear but a good part would be the paralysis that came with shock that someone could act so outside the lines of decency. It is hard to imagine that people are out there who would not only rob a fellow citizen in broad daylight, but would rob them of their DOG to use as bait. I suppose it is a good thing that most of us don't realize there are monsters around us. Most people are decent souls, fortunately.

GaryOKC6
06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Just heard from a friend who was walking their dog on 6/2. He was accosted by three guys. They pulled up and one got out and said, “ we are taking your dog” and bulled up to him. He said did the same and said, “ I will kill you before I let you take my dog”. The attempted dog snatcher then did a chest bump and my friend said I mean it and my friend did a chest bump back. Once of the occupants of the car said, “ get back in”. He did so and they drove away.

Upon research he feels that, they ether wanted to resell the dog or to use the dog as a bait dog in dog training. He said by their appearance he would guess the latter. Please let your friends, and neighbors who are pet owners aware of this incident.

That would be a big mistake. My dog would eat them.

Roadhawg
06-05-2012, 06:32 AM
That would be a big mistake. My dog would eat them.

Mine would of too.

BBatesokc
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
It would probably be helpful to know the breed of dog and where geographically this happened and time of day/night.

I would suspect they were targeting a specific breed or type of dog.

Wondering if they would have bothered a dog walker exercising their open carry option?

Jogging, hiking, biking and dog walking are all on my list of when I'd at least seriously consider open carry.

No so much because of dog nappers, but because when we walk our dog we often come upon dogs running lose. Most are friendly, but some..... not so much.

PennyQuilts
06-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Mine would of too.

Mine would kiss them to death and at least one of them would try the same thing with another dog trying to eat THEM. Aggressive they are not.

NoOkie
06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
It would probably be helpful to know the breed of dog and where geographically this happened and time of day/night.

I would suspect they were targeting a specific breed or type of dog.

Wondering if they would have bothered a dog walker exercising their open carry option?

Jogging, hiking, biking and dog walking are all on my list of when I'd at least seriously consider open carry.

No so much because of dog nappers, but because when we walk our dog we often come upon dogs running lose. Most are friendly, but some..... not so much.

There's a miniature Pincer in my neighborhood that runs free(I've seen the owners standing in the drive way when it takes off after me) and terrorizes the kids. I'm not real concerned about it when I'm walking, but I am concerned it's going to get caught up in my wheels and throw me when I'm doing 20 mph down the hill.

Considering some mace or bear spray to rectify the problem.

PennyQuilts
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
There's a miniature Pincer in my neighborhood that runs free(I've seen the owners standing in the drive way when it takes off after me) and terrorizes the kids. I'm not real concerned about it when I'm walking, but I am concerned it's going to get caught up in my wheels and throw me when I'm doing 20 mph down the hill.

Considering some mace or bear spray to rectify the problem.

Letting you dog run wild is just as wrong as letting your kid run wild. It is a shame that its owners have placed passers by in the situation where they are trying to come up with a solution.

NoOkie
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Letting you dog run wild is just as wrong as letting your kid run wild. It is a shame that its owners have placed passers by in the situation where they are trying to come up with a solution.

Yeah. If I'm walking, turning around is enough to make the thing run away. But on my bike, I can't stop that quickly if it darts out between some cars. And if little Fifi gets caught in a wheel, I'm going down, possibly over the handlebars.

I'm a dog owner, so I understand that sometimes they get out. I understand dogs have a chase instinct. I also understand that it's my responsibility to control my damn dog, not ignore them when they go terrorizing little kids. A min pin can't do much to me(on foot, anyway), but it could probably do some damage to a 7 year old.

RadicalModerate
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Is this "Issue" a metaphorical/allegorical "Strawman" set up by The Forces of Good vs Evil (e.g. Michael Vick's unsportsmanlike dog-fighting brothers in kennels with arms and chest bumps) to counter the arguments in favor (or against)ConcealCarry/ConcealOnly, Firearms (by right-thinking Americans--regardless of race, creed or color (except for the creed of dogfighting) or whut?

Seriously: WTF?
(Sometimes I feel like killing the barking dog next door,
other times I give it leftover bones
the solution (to the "barking problem"
is that anti-bark egg
they sell at Pet-Smart.
Again: WTF?)

And I used to run with hard-core chicken fighters (when it was legal)
so I have a certain perspective on this sort of thing. =)

Roadhawg
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
better yet we should arm the dogs and let them open carry so they can protect themselves.

RadicalModerate
06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
That is the first logical and do-able suggestion on this topic/thread I've yet read.
Thank you.

(especially if the dog is like . . . a beagle or a border collie . . . with the intelligence of Lassie . . .
and the strength and courage of Rin-Tin-Tin or Yukon King.)

Still . . .
WTF . . .???

kevinpate
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
better yet we should arm the dogs and let them open carry so they can protect themselves.

isn't that what their toothies are for?

Not that our pooch would know. Lickyest dang dawg I've ever known. Only time I ever see him act aggressive is when it is the mailman, or anyone wearing near that shade of postal uniform blue-gray. Hates that color big time.

Pooch went nuts on day on the couch at the big window, snarling and barking fool head off. Knew it wasn't time for our mail guy. Doubled over laughing when I saw what was up. Some chap sitting on the road outside on a blue cycle wearing a near postal gray jacket and near matching helmet. Guess the dawg thought aliens had landed.

rondvu
06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
What part of town did this occur?
It was in Gatewood, just off Indiana and it was a full blood Schnauzer. Me, I have three pound rescue dogs.

bluedogok
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Mine would kiss them to death and at least one of them would try the same thing with another dog trying to eat THEM. Aggressive they are not.
It would have just depended how my heeler would have interpreted the situation, I think they have a keen sense of when someone is friendly and when they need to go into protection mode...I guess because that is what they were bred for, protecting the herd. Usually she was pretty friendly but there were times that she had a completely different attitude when walking by certain places.

1972ford
06-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Someone snatched my dalmation once the idiot should have tried a smaller dog. dude made it 3 blocks down the road I was coming home from work and saw the dalmation going at him. Told the dude I wont call the cops but you better not show your face round here again. I bet he went straight to the hospital. My dog is well behaved and from my neighbors tell me when I am gone he just sits there in the backyard staring at the driveway so I was confident my dog did not run off.

OSUPeterson
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
It was in Gatewood, just off Indiana and it was a full blood Schnauzer. Me, I have three pound rescue dogs.

Can you get any description of the people or car they were in?

I live in that area and would like to be on the lookout. Kinda strange though as there are usually tons of people out with dogs, and the neighborhood seems to be pretty aware and safe.

Granted, I would feel much less safe south of 16th, and even certain streets on the eastside of gatewood can be sketchy.

bandnerd
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I was in the front yard with our dog, a lab-whatever mix, yesterday afternoon. I was deadheading flowers and she was rolling around in the wet grass, a favorite activity of hers. Down the street, where there is a three-way stop, I saw a small pickup, dark blue and in bad shape, rumble to the stop. They started to go straight through the intersection, but they went about 3/4 of the way in and then turned sharply left, driving slowly down my street toward me. They slowed down practically to a stop in front of my yard. I didn't get a good look at the driver, as I immediately (after having read this thread a few days ago) called Callie over and started toward her. The driver started up again down the street. I watched him drive down the street, to another house where a lady had her Schnauzer in the front with her, and saw the brake lights. She immediately grabbed up her dog and took him inside.

It made me very uncomfortable, and wary of having the dog in the front if I'm alone with her. I mean, I was barefoot picking flowers, not prepared to put up a fight with someone. Other than the older lady down the street, no one else was out as it was around 2pm. Not really a busy time.

I didn't get a look at the driver, as I was too busy staring at my dog and trying to grab her, and looking at the truck. I wish I had gotten the license plate but I know what it looked and sounded like. Not exactly a stealthy vehicle, and not one I've ever seen around here.

ETA: I live on the NW side of town.

OSUPeterson
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Might need to be brought up to the gatetood neighborhood association and plaza people. I've never talked to them before, but getting everyone aware may deter these guys from the area.

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
kevinpate: Thanks for the laugh...was even worth the odd look I just got from my office mate.