View Full Version : OKC Wish List Round 2

Pages : [1] 2

mmonroe
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6950

I was reading this thread and got inspired, I encourage you to read through it and see who's wishes have come true.

Lets do this again, what would you wish to see in OKC?

Spartan
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
This week, I'd like to see the Hale Photo Bldg preserved and not torn down. That wish would need to be processed by the New Roof Fairy.

Midtowner
06-06-2012, 07:31 AM
1) CHK to survive in some form where they might someday be able to re-expand back into their campus;

2) The Native American Cultural Center to be completed;

3) Downtown residential development to not be killed by developers who are pricing their best potential buyers out of the market.

Larry OKC
06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
That all of the MAPS 3 projects be built:

1) On time

2) On budget

3) As promised

Oooops...oh well

Pete
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I would merely like us to build and expand on the present foundation:

Complete all the MAPS 3 projects
Expand the street car to the Heath Sciences Center, the Capitol, and OCU
See at least a handful of the various urban districts reach critical mass (Deep Deuce is close but there are several others that need to follow)
Much more in the way of recreation, bike lanes, sidewalks, trails, etc.
Have OU develop into a truly great university (OKC and the state in general needs at least one excellent institution of higher learning)
See First National Center redeveloped in a sustainable and responsible way (really, the last big failure that remains in the CBD)
Complete and expand the ACCIM

All of this is completely doable and would help take OKC to the next level.

Of Sound Mind
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Wish #1: Take a 24-month break from road construction so that, for once, we could enjoy leisurely drives to and from work (especially downtown), without dodging countless construction cones, detour signs and unfamiliar drivers trying to navigate their anxious way through ever-changing, never-clearly-delineated maze.

Wish #2: The above point notwithstanding, to go back a completely fulfill the original Project 180 vision so we don't end up with another half-assed effort after all this pain of construction downtown.

Wish #3: I'll steal this one from Midtowner's #3.

Wish #4: No street cars. Period. It's economically unsustainable and an unnecessary money pit that will show nothing but negative returns. I'd love for it to work here, but it's grossly incongruent with the Oklahoma City population and lifestyle.

Pete
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Wish #4: No street cars. Period. It's economically unsustainable and an unnecessary money pit that will show nothing but negative returns. I'd love for it to work here, but it's grossly incongruent with the Oklahoma City population and lifestyle.

Valid concerns but I would argue that project has more ability to change the OKC lifestyle than anything else.

The good news is the first phase is already funded and will be a good test for future expansion. I would bet good money it will be much more popular than most people would expect. I think there is a real hunger for this sort of thing that is hard to understand until something is in place.

Of Sound Mind
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Valid concerns but I would argue that project has more ability to change the OKC lifestyle than anything else.

The good news is the first phase is already funded and will be a good test for future expansion. I would bet good money it will be much more popular than most people would expect. I think there is a real hunger for this sort of thing that is hard to understand until something is in place.
I'll be happy to take you up on that bet. I could always use some more poker money for my next trip to Vegas.

soonerliberal
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
1) Large company(ies) either relocate from out of state or add a significant number of white collar, mid-high to high income/education jobs to the CBD.
2) Project 180 to be completed in its entirety.
3) TREES - lots more of them planted around the whole city, particularly along freeways, parks, major city streets, intersections, and entry points to the city.
4) Continued infill in the Health Sciences and Midtown areas (especially less fields and parking lots)
5) The streetcar developed and extended upon due to its success
6) Completion of the Native American Cultural Center

6.5) UNP in Norman to live up to its original promises

Naptown12713
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I like most of the suggestions already noted. I would like to include on my wish list for OKC is a very well planned and user friendly development for the Seed Plant site. This site has the potential to be a game changer for the expanded downtown area.

Spartan
06-06-2012, 07:45 PM

2002 called and says we've had a little bit of downtown development since people were saying it wouldn't work. You have to be kidding me if you don't think downtown has at least reached critical mass in the last year or so capable of supporting the streetcar. It will open to record-breaking crowds that will exceed even my optimistic projections.

Or is the head firmly in the sand to the point where no matter what, streetcar will never work in OKC? That sounds like lose-lose to me. If you ask me, there is one project that we could easily can in order to throw another extra $250 million into the streetcar.

bchris02
06-06-2012, 11:00 PM

Little Rock has streetcars and its smaller and more sprawled than OKC is. If it works there, there is no reason it couldn't work in OKC.

Spartan
06-06-2012, 11:30 PM
The LR-NLR heritage trolley also significantly exceeded ridership projections. The funny thing is that the FTA actually uses a very flawed ridership model that does not take into account any TOD, based entirely on existing circulation patterns. While this makes it harder than necessary for these projects to compete for funding even against the most stringent and objective of standards that we all know highway projects aren't held to, it also at least insures some exceeding of low expectations.

1972ford
06-07-2012, 03:35 AM
I want disc golf courses around the river a course at overholser as well as hefner. No one goes to Woodson really for fear of being robbed or worse. Will Roger park lost what little it had going for it when they removed a ton of trees which leaves us with dolese. When I started playing golf about 10 years ago 2 hours was a long game now you are lucky to finish a game in 4.

I think I'll start a petition to the city maybe we can get the parks as part of the MAPS 3 using the contigency fund. looks like Sales tax revenues are exceeding projections anyway

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Good luck...those funds (contingency & positive projections) are probably already spoken for by projects that are expected to go way over budget.

Spartan
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Good luck...those funds (contingency & positive projections) are probably already spoken for by projects that are expected to go way over budget.

Larry for the win, again.

NoOkie
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
1. Complete the trails master plan.
2. Stripe some bike lanes outside of downtown. Cycle tracks in some places would be sweet.
3. More trees. Everywhere. Trees are great.
4. Another major company in town, good all around.
5. An edmond-downtown-norman train and a tinker-Mustang train.
6. Speed up the I-44/235 and I-35/235 interchange projects. The timetables are absurdly long.

Of Sound Mind
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
2002 called and says we've had a little bit of downtown development since people were saying it wouldn't work. You have to be kidding me if you don't think downtown has at least reached critical mass in the last year or so capable of supporting the streetcar. It will open to record-breaking crowds that will exceed even my optimistic projections.

Or is the head firmly in the sand to the point where no matter what, streetcar will never work in OKC? That sounds like lose-lose to me. If you ask me, there is one project that we could easily can in order to throw another extra $250 million into the streetcar.
Perhaps your projecting with your "head-firmly-in-the-sand" comment. Would I like to see OKC have a streetcar system? Absolutely, if it's done right. That's the rub. A successful streetcar system is going to have to be extensive enough for people to want to utilize it as a viable means of transportation to major areas of interest. The MAPS 3 plan hardly fits that bill. And there's no funding plan in place for future expansion to make it a viable mode of transport for enough people to take it seriously.

My biggest issue is funding. What plan out there does not count on federal funds that may or may not be there? Does anyone really think that in the coming years, given the federal budget and debt issues, that federal funding for projects like these won't disappear as lawmakers try to figure out how to cut costs without trimming the right-left darlings of defense spending and entitlements? It will be a massive shame, disappointment and embarassment should the streetcar system be started only be left unfinished and ultimately impractical transportation option... and all the money invested from MAPS 3 and beyond will have been wasted when it could have be utilized elsewhere.

If I'm wrong, then everyone wins. If I'm right, everyone loses. I've been a pretty consistent advocate for OKC's renaissance these last couple decades. However, with the perpetual budget issues in our own state capital and the looming financial crisis in Washington, D.C., I'm wondering how everyone plans to fund this very expensive project sufficiently so that it provides a practical, useful and beneficial transportation alternative for enough people to make it economically viable. If that's head-in-the-sand thinking, then I think that phrase has been redefined.

One final thought... that $250 million project you're alluding to is for a revenue-generating (both in facility use fees as well as collateral sales tax revenues from surrounding businesses) project, and a project that's sorely needed if you've ever tried to find meeting space for any sizeable event in Oklahoma City. Right now, there is only one facility that can accommodate those large-event needs and trying to book space there can be quite the challenge with increasing numbers of conventions, conferences and special events booking space. Conversely, how long before the streetcar system would be revenue-neutral or even revenue-generating?

Larry OKC
06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Of Sound Mind: sending you a PM so as not to derail the thread.

1972ford
06-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Well if the city would be willing to allocate some of its parkland off overholser, the river, or hefner the disc golf community can raise the funds for baskets and concrete. it does not even matter if the land they allocate is fully wooded land is the only thing keeping the disc golf community from funding the cost of basket and concrete. it would cost around 10k for baskets and concrete and the city alreay owns the land this is something the city could provide its spraw with something to do.

I have honestly considered moving to Tulsa just so I can live in close proximity to some golf parks.

Of Sound Mind
06-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Of Sound Mind: sending you a PM so as not to derail the thread.
Got it and responded. Thanks for continuing the discussion in a respectful, rational and reasonable manner. I'm truly not anti-OKC growth and development; in fact, I'm quite the opposite. More so, though, I am FOR fiscally sound, realistic and practical solutions given our current local, national and global economic and budgetary environments. Nothing is more disappointing than an uncompleted and/or half-assed project that disappoints EVERYONE.

After visiting with Larry via PM, please allow me to revise my wish list, borrowing heavily from some of the excellent suggestions above.

1) Fulfill the original Project 180 (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Project+180) vision in its entirety.

2) "Speed up the I-44/235 and I-35/235 interchange projects." ллл These are WAY overdue and VERY needed.

3) Make more streets around the entire city (and eventually metro) more pedestrian and bicycle friendly, including dedicated bike lanes where they can be safely added and are appropriate (especially downtown and around schools and college campuses).

4) "Complete the trails master plan."

5) "More trees. Everywhere. Trees are great." ллл VERY needed.

6) "Downtown residential development to not be killed by developers who are pricing their best potential buyers out of the market."

7) Hold our city and state leaders accountable for the proposals, projects and initiatives they try to sell us in that they deliver on EXACTLY what they promised and are REALISTIC on making accurate projects on the actual costs (potentially even over-estimating it to account for inflation and "unforeseen" variables) to complete the proposals AS ADVERTISED and not continually run in to over-budget quandaries that mean cut-back deliverables or increased taxation beyond what was agreed to. In other words, if you're going to show me fancy graphics to sell me on something, THAT better be what I get in the end. If private companies can do it, it's possible to get it done. Prime example: Devon.

BoulderSooner
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
street car has between an 8-1 and 15-1 return on capital investment ... the CC can't touch that ..

and the street car will be expanded ... most likely in maps 4 ........ plus it will not be long until we have a Regional transit authority .. with commuter legs to norman/edmond/midwestcity/and at least to the airport west ...

NoOkie
06-08-2012, 08:46 AM
street car has between an 8-1 and 15-1 return on capital investment ... the CC can't touch that ..

and the street car will be expanded ... most likely in maps 4 ........ plus it will not be long until we have a Regional transit authority .. with commuter legs to norman/edmond/midwestcity/and at least to the airport west ...

That's all well and good, but I really just want some damn bike lanes.

And the 235/44 interchange fix. I see that backed up all the time when I ride over the extension.

Just the facts
06-08-2012, 09:06 AM

It is only some lines on a proposed route map and already 4 developments have cited it as reasons for redevelopment. If you look at cities around the country that have implemented rail (and it is a lot more cities than people are aware of), the TOD and TND has taken off big time. Even our own Tronox with their move to Stamford picked a location within walking distance of a rail station. In OKC they were out in the sticks. When given a choice, people and businesses will move next to the most economical form of transportation - and that is rail hands down and across the board. I've said it before but one lane of track can move the same capacity as 15 lanes of interstate. A train can carry 1 ton 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel.

Spartan
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM

This. With rail transit we have to take some kind of first step at some point, so that's what this is. I think it's an excellent first step, I don't know what better project we would be completing with the same M3 funding instead. One of the few things that I think our city's limited accountability will be able to get right simply due to the efficacy and hard work of the sub-committee behind the transit component. Other M3 projects can't say that.

Larry OKC
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Got it and responded. ...After visiting with Larry via PM,
Never got the PM, if you have it and can send it again???

Spartan
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Boo. I wanna see a Larry v. of sound mind smackdown in this thread! :cool:

Larry OKC
06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Boo. I wanna see a Larry v. of sound mind smackdown in this thread! :cool:
As far as I know, there wasn't a "smackdown" based on his reply in this thread...

Thanks for continuing the discussion in a respectful, rational and reasonable manner.

JAW
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
1) OKC as the high speed rail hub for the US. Since the population continues to move south and west, eventually the population center for the country (currently somewhere in Missouri) will be in OK. N-S rail, NE-SW rail, E-W rail, and NW-SE rail, that connects OKC to NYC, LA, DC, Florida, Canada, Mexican border, and all relevant stops in between. Met with rings of street car and commuter rail around the OKC and Tulsa metro areas, ostensibly connecting every OK town with 25000+ population and every OK attraction across the state by rail. Ideally, one can live in downtown OKC, take the streetcar to a commuter rail stop, take the commuter rail to the high speed rail stop, and off and on your way to a cross country rail trip, without having to deal with the restrictions of flight. High speed rail could also be used for freight, which could lead to an uptick in manufacturing, as OKC would be centrally located to deliver products quickly to population centers.

2) Multiple Fortune 500 countries relocate or sprout in OKC.

3) 2+ new four-year universities in the OKC core. One would be located on the river, preferably where that junk yard is, another could be located in Midtown, with a more urban style campus.

4) Iconic structure(s) added to the skyline. Devon Tower, its great, but its still a skyscraper. Something like the Gateway Arch or the Space Needle or the TransAmerica Pyramid, 600+ feet tall. I have some ideas.

5) More skyscrapers overall, hopefully in conjunction with #2.

6) Downtown urban wildlife refuge, particularly one that hosts a herd of bison, and maybe other animals. Ideal location would be between Reno and NE 10th, I235 and I35, northeast of the crosstown. Clear out that whole area. Have a decorated wall (ie, gate) around the whole area, elevated trails for people to walk to safely view the bison with downtown in the background. The refuge would be penned in by 2-10 story buildings on all sides, allowing for hotels, restaurants, apartments, condos, townhouses, retail (both vistor oriented and practical). Relocate Bass Pro to the area between Reno and I35 on the NE to free up area in Bricktown for better projects.

7) Finish the AICCM at all costs.

8) If the Convention Center and its hotel are placed between the Myriad gardens and the new park, extend the canal from where it stops now to the Myriad gardens and then south to the new park. Build the Center over the canal, which will then create an attractive walking path from the Myriad to the park. Embrace innovative ideas in the Center's design, for example, vertical gardening (google vertical gardening, vertical farming, to get an idea of what I'm talking about). Make the Convention center "fit in" with the Myriad and park with green draping its sides, even an additional garden on the roof. Another possible iconic structure, unique to OKC.

9) Relocate Frontier City and the Cowboy Museum to the Stockyards district. Put tax incentives for all the Western stores on Reno/Meridian area to relocate as well. Obviously Frontier City would need to be an outlier, but on the south bank of the river would be awesome spot. Put in a world class Rodeo in the area.

10) A tall iconic statue of some sort in the Central Park, at least 200 feet, in addition to what's mentioned in #4. Would be cool if it was surrounded by a thin pool, which in fact turns out to be a roundabout for the canal and the boat rides, as it heads back through the Convention Center, the Myriad, and traditional Bricktown.

11) Heavy expansion of the Medical district, building up instead of out. Hopefully competes with Houston for SW prominence, (understanding this will take a LOT of investment and focus).

12) Riverside golf course. Wheeler park looks to be a prime spot.

13) Tear down Cox Convention Center, replace with Indoor Amuseument Park ("Bell's Bricktown"), brick exterior, pass through tunnel for canal extension to Myriad. A family fun place in Bricktown, would make weekend Thunder games all that more rewarding for families. Indoor rides that are Oklahoma themed (weather, land run, basketball, football), and virtual rides as well.

14) Tear down cooperative mill, use materials to build a Winter Sports complex, which includes an NHL ready arena, but also borrows from Dubai and builds a 400 ft tall indoor ski slope. Some thinks it cheesy, I think its brilliant, offering counterprogramming during the hot summer, and gives Oklahomans (and Texans, whom we want to come over and spend money) to learn how to ski on any weekend of the year for more natural ski vacations in the winter.

SOONER8693
06-13-2012, 12:37 PM
WOW! That's impressive. ^^^

mmonroe
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Quality content sir, thank you.

Spartan
06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
6) Downtown urban wildlife refuge, particularly one that hosts a herd of bison, and maybe other animals. Ideal location would be between Reno and NE 10th, I235 and I35, northeast of the crosstown. Clear out that whole area. Have a decorated wall (ie, gate) around the whole area, elevated trails for people to walk to safely view the bison with downtown in the background.

That's the JFK neighborhood?!? :headscrat

OKCisOK4me
06-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Quality content sir, thank you.

He surely gets the 6th Post Award!

Fantastic
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
8) If the Convention Center and its hotel are placed between the Myriad gardens and the new park, extend the canal from where it stops now to the Myriad gardens and then south to the new park.

I have been saying this for years. The three question that I get asked the most: 1) "How deep is the Canal?" 2) "How long is the Canal?" 3) "DOES THE CANAL GO TO THE MYRIAD GARDENS?"

It makes too much sense to not think about, and with the new Boulevard replacing the old I-40 (Oh great, I'm about to make some people irritated) Reno is effectively unnecessary between Shartel and Gaylord. Just my opinion, but a Canal expansion in this area would be freaking sweet!

ljbab728
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Except for the part about more 4 year universities. Totally not needed. Oklahoma is overrun with 4 year universities.

Spartan
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I absolutely agree with lj, instead of two more universities, I would close at least twenty universities arrgh lol.

But I agree that we absolutely need to consider extending the canal through the hotel core of downtown. Not doing so does lack foresight.

Fantastic
06-13-2012, 11:35 PM
But I agree that we absolutely need to consider extending the canal through the hotel core of downtown. Not doing so does lack foresight.

:congrats:

mmonroe
06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
I wish they would widen the river, it seems too small, or make a lake on the east side of the river area. All great cities have large water features. (imo)

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
JAW: Not on board with all of them but a lot of interesting ideas that should be considered/debated

Spartan: we had the foresight, as the Canal as originally pitched was supposed to have been a continuous waterway, going from the River, through Bricktown and to the Convention Center. Then due to massive cost over runs, we only got the Bricktown segment of the Canal (and it costing more than double what the whole thing was supposed to have cost). We are getting the Bricktown/River "extension (but due to elevation changes, doesn't actually connect with the Canal) with the 2007 General Obligation Bond issue. And there was a push by former Mayors, Norick & Humphreys to get the Convention Center extension included as part of MAPS 3 but it didn't make the cut.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the $20 million or so that Mr. Humhreys had mentioned in an old thread...fully funded, just needed a project to spend it on??? The proposed MAPS 3 Canal extension was going to cost about that amount...

mmonroe
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought the Humphreys were busy with Carlton Landing

OKCisOK4me
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
IIRC, the original rendering with MAPS 1 had the canal dead ending at Reno and Robinson.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
RE-Surfs streets around the downtown area, South Walker, Classen, etc. and development of the old downtown airpark.
Also, look at running shuttles for big events into Downtown from places like Wheeler Park to elimante the parking problems in bricktown and around the arena

Spartan
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
JAW: Not on board with all of them but a lot of interesting ideas that should be considered/debated

Spartan: we had the foresight, as the Canal as originally pitched was supposed to have been a continuous waterway, going from the River, through Bricktown and to the Convention Center. Then due to massive cost over runs, we only got the Bricktown segment of the Canal (and it costing more than double what the whole thing was supposed to have cost). We are getting the Bricktown/River "extension (but due to elevation changes, doesn't actually connect with the Canal) with the 2007 General Obligation Bond issue. And there was a push by former Mayors, Norick & Humphreys to get the Convention Center extension included as part of MAPS 3 but it didn't make the cut.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the $20 million or so that Mr. Humhreys had mentioned in an old thread...fully funded, just needed a project to spend it on??? The proposed MAPS 3 Canal extension was going to cost about that amount...

I knew it was originally envisioned to the river but I didn't realize it was originally envisioned to the convention center on the west as well. Interesting, Larry. As for the canal extension proposal in MAPS3, you have to admit, that was a really screwy extension proposal.

JAW
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
For the urban wildlife reserve, I meant NE 4th, which is what I have on my Google Map of "If I had tens of billions of dollars to throw at OKC development, what I would do" projects. The area between I 40 and NE 4th, with the I35s on East and West, is an eyesore for travelers passing through. The RV park, the one star hotels...ala Core to Shore, call it I40 to 4th, remake that area into a unique destination for both travelers and citizens.

15) Build an Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom memorial and museum. Seize the initiative and do it before anyone else does. That's what Kansas City did way back in 1921 for World War I. The Liberty Memorial and museum eventually became the official WW1 memorial in the US. Not in DC, where all the other major war memorials are, but in KC, and its one of the must see destinations in KC. Do it right, do it with honor, do it respectfully, without heavy handed politics on other side. Its meant to be a memorial.

In some ways, we have to copy what other cities have done. But we also have to leapfrog them, and not play catch up. Leapfrogging involves doing what other people haven't thought of doing, or if they have, doing it before they do. We should embrace being pioneers, we are the pioneer state.

mmonroe
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I wish they would widen the river, it seems too small, or make a lake on the east side of the river area. All great cities have large water features. (imo)

http://www.wavegarden.com/

One of these, with that ^^^!!!

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I knew it was originally envisioned to the river but I didn't realize it was originally envisioned to the convention center on the west as well. Interesting, Larry. As for the canal extension proposal in MAPS3, you have to admit, that was a really screwy extension proposal.

Not sure which part you mean (the proposals I saw showed a few different options), the one that would have gone to the Convention Center was routed through a space they intentionally left for later access.

OKCisOK4me: Not sure about original MAPS renderings but in an open letter to voters before the election, Norick described the Canal route and said it was imperative or some other strong language saying that the whole Canal must be built for it to succeed. Sort of like what we are hearing now by the ULI folks that for the Convention Center to succeed, we MUST have an attached C.C. hotel and it MUST open within 6 months of the C.C. IIRC, wasn't the Canal supposed to have run down Reno? Then do to some structural issues that came up after the engineers looked at things, California was chosen???

ljbab728
06-14-2012, 08:58 PM
RE-Surfs streets around the downtown area, South Walker, Classen, etc. and development of the old downtown airpark.
Also, look at running shuttles for big events into Downtown from places like Wheeler Park to elimante the parking problems in bricktown and around the arena

That sounds nice except for the fact that there is not a parking problem.

JohnH_in_OKC
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
1) OKC as the high speed rail hub for the US. Since the population continues to move south and west, eventually the population center for the country (currently somewhere in Missouri) will be in OK. N-S rail, NE-SW rail, E-W rail, and NW-SE rail, that connects OKC to NYC, LA, DC, Florida, Canada, Mexican border, and all relevant stops in between. Met with rings of street car and commuter rail around the OKC and Tulsa metro areas, ostensibly connecting every OK town with 25000+ population and every OK attraction across the state by rail. Ideally, one can live in downtown OKC, take the streetcar to a commuter rail stop, take the commuter rail to the high speed rail stop, and off and on your way to a cross country rail trip, without having to deal with the restrictions of flight. High speed rail could also be used for freight, which could lead to an uptick in manufacturing, as OKC would be centrally located to deliver products quickly to population centers.

2) Multiple Fortune 500 countries relocate or sprout in OKC.

3) 2+ new four-year universities in the OKC core. One would be located on the river, preferably where that junk yard is, another could be located in Midtown, with a more urban style campus.

4) Iconic structure(s) added to the skyline. Devon Tower, its great, but its still a skyscraper. Something like the Gateway Arch or the Space Needle or the TransAmerica Pyramid, 600+ feet tall. I have some ideas.

5) More skyscrapers overall, hopefully in conjunction with #2.

6) Downtown urban wildlife refuge, particularly one that hosts a herd of bison, and maybe other animals. Ideal location would be between Reno and NE 10th, I235 and I35, northeast of the crosstown. Clear out that whole area. Have a decorated wall (ie, gate) around the whole area, elevated trails for people to walk to safely view the bison with downtown in the background. The refuge would be penned in by 2-10 story buildings on all sides, allowing for hotels, restaurants, apartments, condos, townhouses, retail (both vistor oriented and practical). Relocate Bass Pro to the area between Reno and I35 on the NE to free up area in Bricktown for better projects.

7) Finish the AICCM at all costs.

8) If the Convention Center and its hotel are placed between the Myriad gardens and the new park, extend the canal from where it stops now to the Myriad gardens and then south to the new park. Build the Center over the canal, which will then create an attractive walking path from the Myriad to the park. Embrace innovative ideas in the Center's design, for example, vertical gardening (google vertical gardening, vertical farming, to get an idea of what I'm talking about). Make the Convention center "fit in" with the Myriad and park with green draping its sides, even an additional garden on the roof. Another possible iconic structure, unique to OKC.

9) Relocate Frontier City and the Cowboy Museum to the Stockyards district. Put tax incentives for all the Western stores on Reno/Meridian area to relocate as well. Obviously Frontier City would need to be an outlier, but on the south bank of the river would be awesome spot. Put in a world class Rodeo in the area.

10) A tall iconic statue of some sort in the Central Park, at least 200 feet, in addition to what's mentioned in #4. Would be cool if it was surrounded by a thin pool, which in fact turns out to be a roundabout for the canal and the boat rides, as it heads back through the Convention Center, the Myriad, and traditional Bricktown.

11) Heavy expansion of the Medical district, building up instead of out. Hopefully competes with Houston for SW prominence, (understanding this will take a LOT of investment and focus).

12) Riverside golf course. Wheeler park looks to be a prime spot.

13) Tear down Cox Convention Center, replace with Indoor Amuseument Park ("Bell's Bricktown"), brick exterior, pass through tunnel for canal extension to Myriad. A family fun place in Bricktown, would make weekend Thunder games all that more rewarding for families. Indoor rides that are Oklahoma themed (weather, land run, basketball, football), and virtual rides as well.

14) Tear down cooperative mill, use materials to build a Winter Sports complex, which includes an NHL ready arena, but also borrows from Dubai and builds a 400 ft tall indoor ski slope. Some thinks it cheesy, I think its brilliant, offering counterprogramming during the hot summer, and gives Oklahomans (and Texans, whom we want to come over and spend money) to learn how to ski on any weekend of the year for more natural ski vacations in the winter.

Cool. You have some very innovative ideas. Some of them I hope we can implement in the future. But you can't put Frontier City in the Stockyards. Although the Stockyards sometimes is odoriferous, it is a necessary economic asset & we'll probably be stuck with it for another 100+ years. A whole lot of businesses in Stockyard City depend on the Stockyards staying where it is. Maybe we'll be able to install a stockyard-wide air purifier that will counteract the Stockyard's biggest negative.

mmonroe
06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Counteract the negative smell... plants that smell good, tons of plants that smell good. A good landscaping around that area could fix it...

Spartan
06-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I do think we need to work on the riverfront from I-35 to I-44...it needs trees! The riverfront's canopy is a joke.

Larry OKC
06-15-2012, 12:24 PM
That sounds nice except for the fact that there is not a parking problem.

Even the City is now admitting there is or very soon will be a parking problem....

1972ford
06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
About time they figured it out. I guess someone keeps stealing their spots.

Spartan
06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Even the City is now admitting there is or very soon will be a parking problem....

It's not "admitting" anything. There is now a parking crunch for office workers, because COTPA has been wheelin and dealin with its parking garages lately, and realizes it needs to build at least two more. However there is still an abundance of short term parking (under 2 hours) free, metered, or $5 event parking.

Holy crap, did I just defend City Hall? :eek:

ljbab728
06-15-2012, 09:38 PM

My point is that there is not a parking problem and that's correct, especially for Bricktown. The poster was inferring that Bricktown and the current convention center didn't have enough parking and Wheeler Park should be turned into parking with a shuttle downtown. How well do you think turning a riverside park into a parking lot would go over? LOL
Parking issues for downtown workers and dwellers will need to be addressed in the future, of course.

kevinpate
06-16-2012, 02:48 AM

Sheeesh Larry. You've spent months, years even, noting all the things the city folk say where you feel their statements are dead bang wrong,. Why one earth would you give them any form of a pass or accept this bit of inaccurate information.

Larry OKC
06-16-2012, 11:34 PM
kevinpate: I do try to give them credit for getting it right, they are finally seeing the light of day and I commend them for it.

ljbab728: I stand corrected, I was speaking of Downtown in general and not Bricktown proper.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
MY POINT WAS FOR BIG EVENTS SUCH AS CONCERTS AND LARGE EVENTS (THUNDER BASKETBALL) USING THE EXISTING PARKING AT WHEELER PARK FOR OVER FLOW PARKING AND RUN A SHUTTLE TO THE VENUE .......AT A COST OF COURSE THE CITY HAS TO MAKE A PROFIT.Not for everyday parking.

The park or the parking lot is not being used now. But the City wants to build another central park in okc..........why not utilize the existing parks along the river. oops that would be in SOUTH OKC not in downtown

ljbab728
06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
MY POINT WAS FOR BIG EVENTS SUCH AS CONCERTS AND LARGE EVENTS (THUNDER BASKETBALL) USING THE EXISTING PARKING AT WHEELER PARK FOR OVER FLOW PARKING AND RUN A SHUTTLE TO THE VENUE .......AT A COST OF COURSE THE CITY HAS TO MAKE A PROFIT.Not for everyday parking.

The park or the parking lot is not being used now. But the City wants to build another central park in okc..........why not utilize the existing parks along the river. oops that would be in SOUTH OKC not in downtown

Thanks for the clarification but it's still not needed for parking at all and that has nothing to do with anything being in South OKC.

betts
06-19-2012, 02:02 PM
So is parking on everyone's wish list, or are we seriously off topic?

YO MUDA
06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
High banked 1/2 mile oval asphalt race track for Nascar LateModels and Camping World Truck Series. And a great promotion team.
( well you asked)