View Full Version : Justin Blackmon Arrested

ljbab728
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
http://newsok.com/former-osu-football-star-justin-blackmon-jailed-on-aggravated-dui-complaint/article/3681183

Unfortunately this isn't the first time for this kind of situation for this talented man. This statement after his previous arrest is very telling about his character.

"I made a mistake and I take full responsibility for it," Blackmon said at the time. "I'm embarrassed to be in this position. I am truly sorry to my family, to my friends and Oklahoma State all together. I look forward to redeeming myself and proving to everybody that this isn't who I am. I'm not this guy and I am humbled by this experience and I will grow from it."

Now he is not only facing some serious legal consequences but he could conceivably have cost himself millions of dollars since he hasn't agreed on his pro contract yet. The pros don't look kindly on these kind of situations.

kevinpate
06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Even without millions and a pro career involved, an aggravated dui is no walk in the park these days.

If anyone here is drinking and driving, please be more responsible. Your life and your impact on others should demand respect of your limitations rather than compel you to challenge your limitations.

Cocaine
06-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Next time he should just call a cab or any one to pick him up instead of driving drunk.

Sheetkeecker
06-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Drunk driving.
No excuses acceptable, none.
Hope it costs him $5 million--and it very well might.

He should thank the police that he did not kill one or more people and end his career and send his life down the toilet.
All for a buzz.
Stupid beyond human comprehension.

Just the facts
06-04-2012, 06:01 AM
New owner and new coach here in Jax. It will be interesting to see what kind of players this new management wants to put on the field. The old Jags had their share of drug addicts and boozers and attendance has gone way down.

Logan18
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
New owner and new coach here in Jax. It will be interesting to see what kind of players this new management wants to put on the field. The old Jags had their share of drug addicts and boozers and attendance has gone way down.

I wouldn't consider Blackmon a drug addict or a boozer. I truly believe he's a good person who has problems with alcohol. Hopefully he'll get his life together because that's too much talent to be spending in jail or prison. Maybe he should hire a driver and get help for his problems.

PennyQuilts
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I feel really bad for him but at least no one was injured. I tend to disagree with you, Logan - someone with this much on the line who has already had a conviction is behaving like someone who can't control himself. Getting a driver is better than driving drunk, certainly, but he sounds like one of those people who can't handle drinking at all. I hope he gets help. As for talent, prisons are full of talented people. It is a mistake for anyone to think their talent will somehow stand between them and the consequences of breaking the law. That is a mistake a lot of people make.

I wonder if he has some sort of underlying mental illness - say, bi-polar - that is prompting him to self medicate and get out of control. If so, maybe they can treat that and he'll get back on track. Better yet, I hope it was just a stupid decision so he doesn't have that particular monkey on his back. I wish him well.

Just the facts
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't consider Blackmon a drug addict or a boozer. I truly believe he's a good person who has problems with alcohol. Hopefully he'll get his life together because that's too much talent to be spending in jail or prison. Maybe he should hire a driver and get help for his problems.

This was the front page above the fold story in the Times-Union this morning. Needless to say, fan enthusiam went way down because the Jags have had this problem several times. If Blackmon doesn't work out for whatever reason the local media is ready to pounce becasue the Jags wasted another early round pick on a kicker, instead of 'plan B'. They put a lot of eggs in his basket.

He would be better off getting rid of his car and hiring someone for $50,000/yr to drive him around.

This is not how a football team builds fan support, especially in a city where fan support is already on thin ice.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400617/gene-frenette/2012-06-03/gene-frenette-justin-blackmon-jaguars-face-critical

Either the football gods have put a dreaded curse on the Jaguars and their first-round draft picks at wide receiver, or this franchise’s task of rising above mediocrity just got a lot harder.

Because what Justin Blackmon did Sunday — getting arrested at 3 a.m. on a charge of aggravated DUI in Stillwater, Okla. — goes beyond putting a serious blemish on his NFL career before it could get started. He also embarrassed the Jaguars’ organization with an incredibly stupid lapse in judgment.

Anyone scheduled to sign a fully guaranteed contract in the near future worth around $20 million — and who was fully contrite in October 2010 after being arrested on a previous DUI charge — doesn’t do something this dumb again unless he’s got a drinking problem.

In the Jaguars’ entire history, which includes the alcohol/drug demons of receivers Jimmy Smith and R.J. Soward, this incident with Blackmon is especially troubling because the team just made him its third-highest draft pick (No. 5 overall) ever.

There’s never a good time for a public relations disaster, but this was especially bad as the Jaguars struggle to fill those EverBank Field seats. The team is in the middle of a player caravan to outlying cities in South Georgia and Northeast Florida to drum up season-ticket sales. Blackmon was scheduled to appear Friday in Waycross, Ga., but that appearance could be in jeopardy.

Bunty
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I wonder if he has some sort of underlying mental illness - say, bi-polar - that is prompting him to self medicate and get out of control. If so, maybe they can treat that and he'll get back on track. Better yet, I hope it was just a stupid decision so he doesn't have that particular monkey on his back. I wish him well.
Talk apparently has it that Blackmon was on the strip partying with some friends. He was given so many congratulatory shots that he didn't realize how intoxicated he had become.

Anyone who drinks after driving should buy a breathalyzer to make sure they are within legal limits to drive. Their accuracy may be questionable and are subject to needing re-calibrated, but are surely better than relying on nothing.

PennyQuilts
06-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Talk apparently has it that Blackmon was on the strip partying with some friends. He was given so many congratulatory shots that he didn't realize how intoxicated he had become.

Anyone who drinks after driving should buy a breathalyzer to make sure they are within legal limits to drive. Their accuracy may be questionable and are subject to needing re-calibrated, but are surely better than relying on nothing.

Someone who is already on notice that drinking and driving is no good won't do it if he has his head on straight. But a drunk or a user is just looking for a reason - any reason will do. And his hangers on did him no favors by undermining any attempt on his part to be sensible. It is a shame all his friends who "set him up" didn't follow through with making sure they didn't send him out on the road to ruin. But that is an old story and one of the reasons trying to blame others to divert responsibility is so sad.

But at any rate, anyone who has a bunch of celebratory shots is going to get wasted. Anyone. He knew that before he started them and didn't make plans to avoid driving - or perhaps abandoned plans to avoid driving while drunk. One of the hazards that come with that sort of thing. He sounds like a nice person with a self distructive streak.

BigBlackRod
06-05-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm not a Jag fan, although I live in Jacksonville. I do, however like Oklahoma State, and wished that y'all had played for the Natty instead of LSU or Alabama. That said, the media here is KILLING Blackmon, and it will not stop until he has at least ten touchdown catches. The GM here, Gene Smith, is known to prefer to pick Boy Scouts, preferably from a Div. III school if possible. The Jags were cursed because the teams's early stars, Tony Boselli and Mark Brunell, were fine, upstanding citizens; Jimmy Smith, who may have been the best player of them all, had drug problems, but they were at the end of his career, and he seems to have gotten a handle on them as of late. RJ Soward REALLY made them leery of alcohol problems. Anyway, it goes without saying that Blackmon's behavior is stupid, but this may have been the WORST place to be with this type of charge hanging over his head...PEACE.

Just the facts
06-05-2012, 08:13 AM
It is really very very simple - if you have a drink (even just one) - don't drive. It is no harder than that.

WilliamTell
06-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Oddly enough I know one of the female bartenders that was serving him at Murphys the night he got pulled over this weekend, she said he seemed drunk but not that drunk. But yes, people buying him shots, telling him congrats and so on.

Its a shame, I wont sit here and act like ive never drank and drove while I was in stillwater because god knows I would be a huge hypocrite - luckily after spending 6 years there ive never had a DUI or hurt myself or someone else. But its very dangerous (deadly) to yourself and others and he's gotta learn that as you get older you have more and more responsibility placed upon your shoulders so you really got to watch yourself. Its just not worth it.

I've always liked the saying - you gotta find your rock bottom before it finds you.

onthestrip
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Stillwater doesn't help itself much as far as there being many taxis or a community free ride program. When I was there, which wasn't too long ago, there were basically only 2 cabs. You can't get home after drinking unless you can find a stranger that wants to drive you home.

Obviously this is no excuse but OSU/Stillwater could make a better effort to curtail drunk driving

Just the facts
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Stillwater is small enough that nobody should be driving anywhere. You can bike across the entire town in 12 minutes.

kevinpate
06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Never lived in Stillwater. Never partied there either. But it's a college town and none are all that different. Folk just need to exercise some maturity and decide that someone takes one for the team and serves as the designated driver.

He or she gets the danged keys if multiple vehicles are involved. If need be, a cab fare pool gets funded at the outset.
The DD, and only the DD, decides if you get your keys back. Doesn't matter if you're on a strip, red dirt road, side of a mountain, private home. None of the 'Hey, I drive better after a few shots' or 'I'm not as think as you drunk I am HAR HAR HAR HAR BELCH" arguing back and forth. If you're a grown up, even if you're still a babydult, then drink like a friggin' grown-up.

Even a first timer receiving a deferred sentence is still going to be out some serious coin and that's with zero property damage or any personal injury issues arising.

Bunty
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Not as well known is that Blackmon's replacement got arrested that same night for urinating in an alley at the strip while police saw it.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x916002088/NEW-Blackmons-Oklahoma-State-successor-Tracy-Moore-has-his-own-run-in-with-police

Bunty
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Stillwater is small enough that nobody should be driving anywhere. You can bike across the entire town in 12 minutes.
But you wants to walk or bike all the way out to the Tumbleweed? Anyway, Stillwater isn't so small that OSU didn't feel students needed a bus service for everyone to get around. If I'm right, it was considered to run the buses on weekends from the strip until it closed but was rejected, because it was feared that students would only drink more.

Just the facts
06-06-2012, 08:33 AM
But you wants to walk or bike all the way out to the Tumbleweed?

Certainly not people who have no problem driving drunk. Does anyone not see the inherent problem of having a bar that has to be driven to - and from? Why would the City of Stillwater allow such a place to even exist at that location? Bars should be within walking distance of their customers.

Bunty
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
There are several bars including Tumbleweed and a stripper bar located outside of Stillwater, so Stillwater can't do anything about it. In addition, city code acts to shut the bars down on Sunday, because they are then required to serve at least 50% food. So that oppressive, asinine law apparently encourages bars to open outside city limits, so they can open on Sunday. At least the strip is within easy walking distance for a number of students.

In addition to the oppressive alcohol laws, the county Stillwater is in is dry on Sunday, so no liquor by the drink allowed in restaurants then. The attitude toward alcohol in Stilwater is not just screwed up, it's dangerously irresponsible A glaring case in point, one of the candidates running for county commissioner opposes going wet on Sunday, saying,

"No. I don’t think we should be selling alcohol on Sunday. If we have the kind of function that wants to have an open bar on a Sunday afternoon in downtown Stillwater, I would rather them go to Tulsa to do that sort of thing." Quote from: http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1647279299/District-2-County-Commissioner-candidates-discuss-the-issues

onthestrip
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Certainly not people who have no problem driving drunk. Does anyone not see the inherent problem of having a bar that has to be driven to - and from? Why would the City of Stillwater allow such a place to even exist at that location? Bars should be within walking distance of their customers.

Right, so I guess the bouncers at every bar in the state should check all IDs to see if they live within walking distance of their bar...

Stillwater is a very bikeable city but let's not expect every bar goer to bike to the bars, especially in our extreme winters and summers. A much better solution is some type of free ride service sponsored by OSU and/or Stillwater.

kevinpate
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
easy peasy. Have a designated driver and it doesn't matter where the alcohol is or how far away. You get there safely and back and you avoid the risk of many future party dollars going to fines, costs, attorney fees, interlock devices, classes, insurance increases, etc.

ljbab728
06-06-2012, 09:17 PM
His apology today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299cb9a/article/justin-blackmon-i-dont-have-a-drinking-problem

He's very right about this:

"Words are words, and it's my actions that are going to have to show," Blackmon said.

Bunty
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
This video shows Blackmon being processed at the police station: http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1318680378/Stillwater-police-release-video-of-Justin-Blackmons-arrest