View Full Version : business requests

mranderson
05-16-2005, 11:53 AM
If you could get any business(es) to locate in Oklahoma City, either headquarters or locations (or both) which one(s) would it be... And why?

metro
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
In-and-Out burgers because they are yummmmmy
W hotels, because they are sweet

Karried
05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
I miss In & Out Burgers.... the best in the world!

mranderson
05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I miss In & Out Burgers.... the best in the world!

Although on a strict diet, I'll try one if they are in the Stockton area.

I would like to see Bojangles Chicken, El Polo Loco, and Del Taco.

Decious
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Without a doubt, I'd like to see a Costco. It's my favorite department store, and they'd give Wal-Mart a run for their money.

diesel
05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
i would really like to see urban outfitters come to okc.. talk has been that they are coming to bricktown... but we shall see.. they have some really cool, affordable clothes

Sooner&RiceGrad
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I want to see Wal Mart relocate their headquarters to Oklahoma City. Or at least give us some sort of managerial branch... haven't we been better to their corporation that Arkansas itself?!!

metro
05-16-2005, 10:48 PM
mranderson, i'm pretty sure there is a Del Taco in stillwater and I know there is one in Ponca City

rxis
05-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Costco locations.

BricktownGuy
05-19-2005, 03:07 PM
A place where I can go so my laughing hyenas could get potty trained. lol :)

poe
05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
cheesecake factory.

jenncole
05-22-2005, 03:18 PM
A place where I can go so my laughing hyenas could get potty trained. lol :)

Best of Luck finding that place, Brick. :LolLolLol

mranderson
06-09-2005, 12:10 PM
While in California, I ate at a sandwich shop called Togo's. They have really good subs which are packed with meat. The cost is competitave with Subway, but the quality is much higher.

I would love to see them here. In addition. In n' Out. Just your typical hamburger.

okcpulse
06-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I'd like to see Whole Foods Natural Market. And they can't give us that joke of a story about how they cannot open a location here because Oklahoma doesn't allow the sale of wine in grocery stores. That is a load of crap.

Whole Foods has locations in Colorado, Kansas and Minnesota- all three of which only allow the sale of 3.2% abw beer in grocery stores. So, what's their excuse now?

poe
06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
whole foods is great. and H.E.B's central market would be a great add as well.

BDP
06-09-2005, 01:28 PM
It has become clear what you guys really want: Southern California :)

mranderson
06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
It has become clear what you guys really want: Southern California :)

Presumtion. I was 400 miles north of Los Angeles.

pilar5422
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree with poe...a Central Market would be GREAT! I'd also like to see a Cafe' Brazil.

brianinok
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Any upscale grocery store. It is VERY sad that Oklahoma City does not have one.

mranderson
06-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Any upscale grocery store. It is VERY sad that Oklahoma City does not have one.

We had an upscale grocer, however it was not a grocery store. It was a super market called Wehba's Grand Bazzar. It was owned by the family of famed Oklahoma City DJ, Dale Wehba. It failed due to high pricing.

brianinok
06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Where was it located? When was that? I have never heard of such a place (maybe that is the reason it failed). I know one could make it-- SURELY an HEB Marketplace could make it in NW OKC or Edmond.

mranderson
06-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Where was it located? When was that? I have never heard of such a place (maybe that is the reason it failed). I know one could make it-- SURELY an HEB Marketplace could make it in NW OKC or Edmond.

This was in the 80's. I think they had two locations. One was at 240 and Walker in the building that was last Pratt's. Dale did a lot of advertising, so that was not it. Their prices were VERY high.

BDP
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Presumtion. I was 400 miles north of Los Angeles.

A good safe distance. ;)

Don't get me wrong I love Togo's and In N Out as much as the next guy (as well as both Northern and Southern California). I just found it funny how many popular CA eateries were being listed.

If I was going to import some CA restaurants I might start with Sushi Roku, then maybe El Taqueria from the Mission in SF (why don't big burrito places survive in OK, seems like a natural to me), maybe Beetelnut, and definitely Massawa from the Haight.

But I'd also pretty much take any innovative sushi place, fat burrito joint, fusion southeast Asian bar-b-que (or whatever Beetelnut is), or (PLEASE!) some Ethiopian food. Yummy.

tomokc
06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
The Oasis (Palo Alto, CA) and Round Table Pizza! And Eatzi's.

metro
06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I was just thinking that yesterday, why dont we have an HEB Marketplace or some mega-grocery store that caters to alot of ethnicities and has a huge variety. It would certainly do well in NW OKC or Edmond. I guess the closest thing we have to upscale grocer is Crescent Market in Nichols Hills.

Doug Loudenback
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Ditto HEBs. Love that store ... now, if they could just sell wine in Okc, like they do in Texas ...

I also agree about Costco ... when I visit my bro in Salt Lake, or wife's bro in Camarillo (@ 30-40 minutes north of LA), I do love to go to Costco ... would give Sams competition, as well as Wal Mart.

Doug

BDP
06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I guess the closest thing we have to upscale grocer is Crescent Market in Nichols Hills.

Which, unfortunately, is never open. You have to change your work hours if you want to go there.

Patrick
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
While we're on the topic of grocery stores, I wouldn't mind seeing a Kroger come to the city. It's somewhat like Albertson's, but a tad bit more upscale IMO.

In terms of other businesses, I'd love to see more upscale speciality clothing stores like Ralph Lauren, Guess, Tommy, etc. I think Penn Square is starting this trend with the recent addition of Rockport, and the soon to open Coach!

HOT ROD
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree with poe...a Central Market would be GREAT! I'd also like to see a Cafe' Brazil.

Doesnt OKC already have a Cafe do Brasil in Midtown? I think they are going to move to a new location but it should still be in Midtown. Brasilian food is best!

ibda12u
06-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd love to see a major internet backbone collaboration come here, I know there is KC and Dallas, but I think OKC can be a major spot....ya know what, nevermind I just remembered we're tornado alley. Not sure if even a Top Tier DC can handle an F5.

BDP
06-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Doesnt OKC already have a Cafe do Brasil in Midtown?

Am I wrong or did it close. It seems there's a banner announing a new resturant at that location.

Patrick
06-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm with you....I tihnk it closed.

Concerning grocery stores, seems like Crescent Market is the only upscale grocery store we have left.....one of the very few that still delivers. We need more Crescent Market type stores. Problem is, Wal-Mart is taking over, and I'm the first to tell you, that I'm a hypocrite here. I can't afford stores like Crescent Market, but it seems like there are enough wealthy people in OKC and Edmond that can.

Some of the local grocery stores used to be more upscale. I remember Quail Plaza IGA, Snyders, etc. Snyders used to deliver as well. Bakers was a more upscale store, but they also couldn't compete with Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart's day is coming though. People are getting sick of Wal-Mart, and Target, a more upscale store which isn't too much more expensive, is making waves. I hope Target plows over Wal-Mart.

poe
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
i'm actually boycotting wal-mart. :) the last purchase i made at wal-mart was in january. and, they've got the frame up on amarillo's fourth supercenter. although not as big as the others in town, it's still a wal-mart.

citizenkane
09-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Restoration Hardware.

karlanee
09-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Poe - I salute you!!

I too have been Wal-Mart free since January. Boycotting never felt so good.

As far as businesses I'd like to see here:
1. Whole Foods or Wild Oats (My preference)
2. IKEA

karlanee
09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
I forgot one -

CostCo

floater
09-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Poe - I salute you!!

I too have been Wal-Mart free since January. Boycotting never felt so good.

I love that phrase, "Wal-Mart free". For discounter detox, go to N. Western Avenue.

As far as businesses I'd like to see here:
1. Whole Foods or Wild Oats (My preference)
2. IKEA

There was a report in OKCBusiness a few days ago that stated a barrier to Whole Foods is the law prohibiting the sale of liquor near a school or church. That makes it difficult for Auto Alley and Midtown. But the Triangle or Bricktown area would still be good. Downtown leaders can also push to change the law through the state legislature.

The newly-opened IKEA in Frisco (near Dallas) probably hurt our chances of getting one.

cedbled
09-16-2005, 10:09 AM
jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos jack in the box!!!!!! tacos, tacos, tacos

I’m sadly hooked, people...........i’ll be goin to ada this weekend,if my friend doesn't come visit me specifically to get some jitb. He lives there, and when he shows up, he can't get into my house unless he's got a greasy bag of tacos haha

BTW I called the ada location (I have no better resource right now), and I talked with an employee...I asked if he knew if jitb still planned to come to okc, and he says that they do, but when I asked about a rough timeframe, all he could give me was within a year or 2.... :(

hopefully someone here may be able to provide some new information, jitb is acutally what led me to this site.....i googled jitb in okc, and found a thread here about it.... since then i've noticed info on the fuddruckers, and round robin (WOW---they're cool, but there are TONS of places here to get a gourmet burger already),
but no new info on Jack, The Clown Prince of grease, and that ghetto a-- cheese they put into those tacos (love it)

devoP
09-16-2005, 12:28 PM
What about a Ruth Chris Steakhouse (Downtown)?

cedbled
09-16-2005, 03:12 PM
No offense, but how many steakhouses does this place need????? I mean, a pappadeux's would be nice, but i only say that for variety's sake, because i do love crabtown.....

mranderson
09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
No offense, but how many steakhouses does this place need????? I mean, a pappadeux's would be nice, but i only say that for variety's sake, because i do love crabtown.....

If you ask some Oklahomans they will tell you "one steak house for every cow in Oklahoma." They are like Chinese places. Over saturated. Frankly, I could care less about a $100 steak. Give me variety.

cedbled
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Exactly, what really pisses(can i say that) me off, is that we have a Texas Roadhouse, but oklahoma is not exactly devoid of any type of cattle industry....that sucks!!! I could see if this was LA or NY, then it would at least have some sort of theme appeal.

swake
09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Ruth's Chris is having major financial issues and are contracting, not expanding. Anyway, you are getting a Mohogany, which is really a great steak house, probably the second best in Tulsa after Monte's Chop House.

jbrown84
09-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Buca di Beppo
Pappadeux's
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Cheesecake Factory
Garduno's

Gart Sports Castle
REI
Restoration Hardware
Levi Strauss
NikeTown
Ralph Lauren
Whole Foods

floater
09-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Buca di Beppo
Pappadeux's
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Cheesecake Factory
Garduno's

Gart Sports Castle
REI
Restoration Hardware
Levi Strauss
NikeTown
Ralph Lauren
Whole Foods

We can check off the Cheesecake Factory

An REI along the river would be cool...Bass Pro might have a problem with it, though. A Restoration Hardware would be cool in the Triangle or Auto Alley -- maybe where that Habitat for Humanity shop was.

jbrown84
09-16-2005, 11:59 PM
REI is very different from Bass Pro. It's more high adventure sporting goods and less hillbilly sporting goods. Like skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering instead of hunting and fishing. Bass Pro has much more in common with Academy than it does with REI.

diesel
09-17-2005, 10:04 AM
We can check off the Cheesecake Factory

An REI along the river would be cool...Bass Pro might have a problem with it, though. A Restoration Hardware would be cool in the Triangle or Auto Alley -- maybe where that Habitat for Humanity shop was.

why checkoff the cheesecake factory?! are they already coming?

floater
09-17-2005, 10:58 AM
REI is very different from Bass Pro. It's more high adventure sporting goods and less hillbilly sporting goods. Like skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering instead of hunting and fishing. Bass Pro has much more in common with Academy than it does with REI.

I see...but those very activities (skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering) aren't readily available in OKC. We do have OKC Rocks though.

Diesel, check this thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=3144&page=1&pp=15

Yeah, it's a bit premature, but I think Penn Square will close the deal.

jbrown84
09-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I see...but those very activities (skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering) aren't readily available in OKC. We do have OKC Rocks though.

There's plenty of people around here who go to New Mexico and Colorado to ski, and there's actually a huge amount of rock climbers here. OKC Rocks has the tallest manmade routes in the country, and the Wichita Mountians is one of the most popular rock climbing destinations in the region.

We could support REI here. It would probably have to be one of their smaller stores, though.

keving
10-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I think this city needs more international cuisine like Lebanese, Argentinian, Brazilian, etc. I've seen a sign for a Costa Rican place on Memorial and Santa Fe but can't find the place.

Container Store - I think they are Dallas based
REI
Restoration Hardware
Whole Foods - Offers so much more than the current selections

metro
10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
We have Lebanese Argentian and Brazilian, even a Brazilian and Jamaican downtown. Most people just don't take the time to look

keving
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
We have Lebanese Argentian and Brazilian, even a Brazilian and Jamaican downtown. Most people just don't take the time to look

Where are these restaurants you speak of?

I only know of Cafe Do' Brasil on NW 14th (have they opened this location yet?) and Gauchos Churrascaria on NW Expressway.