View Full Version : Will OKC ever get an indoor Waterpark?

SoonerBoy18
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I was just wondering why Oklahoma City doesnt have a huge indoor waterpark like other places that I have seen on the Travel Channel. We have some of the hottest summers and I think our economy is stable enough to handle this type of buisness. I think we deserve something bigger and better than White Water Bay. Can MAPS projects include a White Water expansion? I think our city would love an indoor water park. Frontier City isnt cutting it anymore.

kevinpate
06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Maybe the city fathers ought to have lunch with the city fathers of Clinton. Seems they have one opening soon.
http://www.water-zoo.com/
(http://www.water-zoo.com/)

it isn't huge, but then neither is Clinton. It's a start, and may prove to be a nice all season break for western OK folks. For what it's worth, Clinton is a fairly short drive down 40 West.

SoonerBoy18
06-03-2012, 01:38 PM
They are probably going to see how well it does there first, then decide for OKC to get one next.

Spartan
06-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Can MAPS projects include a White Water expansion

No.

bluedogok
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I worked on a proposal for one for a private developer but the project never moved forward.

metro
06-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I was just wondering why Oklahoma City doesnt have a huge indoor waterpark like other places that I have seen on the Travel Channel. We have some of the hottest summers and I think our economy is stable enough to handle this type busness. I think we deserve something bigger and better than White Water Bay. Can MAPS projects include a White Water expansion? I think our city would love an indoor water park. Frontier City isnt cutting it anymore.

MAPS isn't to fund private business and it's a silly suggestion. indoor watermarks such as Great Wolf Lodge are smaller than White Water FYI.

Larry OKC
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
MAPS isn't to fund private business ...
Well, not just any private business...

Jesseda
06-05-2012, 12:36 PM

It would neat if someone here in okc built a dome theme park like the one in circus circus las vegas

Spartan
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Hehe. :yeahthat:

shawnw
06-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Does the indoor pool with its slides, etc, at the Bricktown Hampton not count?

I kid, of course, but that's the closest thing we've got right now.

Kelsi
06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
I am the Marketing Director for the Indoor Water Park in Clinton, Water-Zoo. Please LIKE us on Facebook (Water-Zoo.com) and follow us on on Website. We are a short drive from OKC Exit 65. We plan to open September 1st. Check out our website for more information and photos.

BradR
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Drove by the one in Clinton a few days ago. It looks like a neat idea.

kevinpate
06-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome Kelsi. Pop around anytime to drop an update if you are of a mind to do so. You're just not that far out of the metro, particularly the west side. I can envision some folks thinking a road trip your way could make sense this fall.

SoonerBoy18
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Welcome Kelsi. Pop around anytime to drop an update if you are of a mind to do so. You're just not that far out of the metro, particularly the west side. I can envision some folks thinking a road trip your way could make sense this fall.

I have been to Clinton numerous times, and I live in El Reno, Is 50 minutes a short drive when it comes to the buisness world?

kevinpate
06-07-2012, 08:01 PM
I have been to Clinton numerous times, and I live in El Reno, Is 50 minutes a short drive when it comes to the buisness world?

For something I might wish to do for recreation with my family, including grandkiddos? Not much of a drive at all.

For example, from Norman, a trip to Clinton/Arapaho is about 90 minutes absent getting stuck in traffic (rare for me outside morning/eve rush hour, which let's face it, is rarely ever a full hour morn or eve around here.) Would I haul the fam and g-kiddos out there in July? Probably not. There's White Water, Andy Alligator, Whatever Frontier City is opening, and a cadre of lakes closer to home. But in October or March when nothing else is available for indoor water play in the area? Makes a bit more sense. Or, if we were out camping, say a 40-80 mile radius from Clinton ... yeah, a water park stop there could factor into a weekend plan. I spent several years hauling youth down I-40 to Burns Flat then south to Granite and Lone Wolf area for camping. Not really any further than going southwest toward the Apache/Lawton/Medicine Park area and closer in than the southeastern hills or the Tulsa area.

bluedogok
06-07-2012, 09:12 PM
For most people in this part of the country that is not much of a drive at all. For those that live in a 2 mile bubble, it can be.

ABryant
06-08-2012, 04:02 AM
We don't need an indoor water park as much as we need an indoor ski park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Dubai

I Jest....

kevinpate
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
We don't need an indoor water park as much as we need an indoor ski park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Dubai

I Jest....

You go ahead and jest. me, I'll just drool and wish a bit. That would be sweet to have.

kevinpate
06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
For most people in this part of the country that is not much of a drive at all. For those that live in a 2 mile bubble, it can be.

Had to chuckle. Although I can easily see making the trip from the metro, especially in the fall or spring when nothing similar is available locally, I actually spend a very large part of my life fairly entrenched inside a rectangle that is not quite 1 mile by 2 miles in size.

bluedogok
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Had to chuckle. Although I can easily see making the trip from the metro, especially in the fall or spring when nothing similar is available locally, I actually spend a very large part of my life fairly entrenched inside a rectangle that is not quite 1 mile by 2 miles in size.
I know about that real well, my mother kind of lives in about a 4 mile bubble. My sister and I received the "adventure gene" from our father, definitely not our mother. My wife grew up in West Texas, 35 miles from Odessa and 60 miles from Midland, she is used to having to have a larger bubble to live in as well. It amazed me how many in Austin thought any place on the "other side of the river" was way too far, like they needed to play a trip with a possible overnight stay for crossing the river. It seemed most of them never made it out into the Hill Country like those of us who moved to Austin from the outside world. The only time ventured out of town was maybe to go tubin' on the river near New Braunfels...of course with the aluminum can ban in place for this season they may not be venturing there as often, they may just stay on 6th Street to get their drink on.

Spartan
06-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Mine is roughly bounded by I-40, NW 13th, I-235, and Classen Blvd. I think that's around two square miles. :dance:

Cocaine
06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
UUmmm... No.

Snowman
06-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Getting to Clinton in 50 minutes is speeding quite a bit if you live in El Reno; Yukon to Weatherford (slightly shorter distance) is still 70 minutes while speeding.

Something like the center in Kingfisher might be a good model to look at for concepts as well, I know several families that used it for birthday parties all year round from El Reno, Yukon & Piedmont.
http://www.gaconstruction.com/images/kingfisher2.jpg

rcjunkie
06-11-2012, 07:02 AM
IMHO, being outside in the hot sun is why we have and need outdoor pools. Swimming indoors is like taking a shower with your clothes on, why bother.

kevinpate
06-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Never had a reason to take a shower with my clothes on, so unable to confirm or deny that thought. I definitely prefer to swim outdoors, weather permitting. When swim desire and weather are not in synch, indoor pool areas will suffice. Throw in some fun time elements and a couple of grand kiddos and yeah, I could see opting for something like what is being built in Clinton over a bare bones pool at a local motel. It isn't great Wolf Lodge, but it also isn't 3 or more hours away. Weather permitting though, no reason to travel that far unless it'sbeing tied into some other aspect of a trip.

RealEstateCop1
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
My wife took a water taxi ride this weekend and they were saying that we are getting an 11 acre water park near downtown.

shawnw
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Surely referring to the whitewater rafting course?

Or depending what "near" means... could be referring to Andy Alligator or Frontier City expansions?