View Full Version : The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

ljbab728
06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/queen-marks-diamond-jubilee-wave-popularity-023737896.html

There is certainly something to be said for tradition and longevity but I wonder how this is viewed here. The American public has always had a fascination with the British royal family and it's ups and downs but is it really relevant in the modern world or just a nostalgic relic?

I was in London a couple of years ago with my brother and decided to take the Buckingham Palace tour. It hadn't been open to the public on my previous visits to London. My brother's British friend who lives in London went with us. We also invited his friend's mother to go with us but she declined because she wasn't fond of the Royals. Evidently they aren't universally loved in Britain.

boscorama
06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
" . . . celebrating the Queen's 60 years on the throne . . . " Somewhat different meaning in the USA.

Oh, the imagery.

Sheetkeecker
06-03-2012, 02:57 PM
" . . . celebrating the Queen's 60 years on the throne . . . " Somewhat different meaning in the USA.

Oh, the imagery.

I would suggest Milk of Magnesia.

Sheetkeecker
06-03-2012, 03:01 PM
When will the world rid itself of "Royalty".

Stupid and arcane.

If the pageantry brings tourists--well OK, put them up in a Disneyland-like environment and have people pay to come and watch them through glass panels as they go about their daily routine.

Rides and concessions everywhere.
Hot links and Funnel Cakes.
Funny little hats with big long feathers for the children.

boscorama
06-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Where is the irony when Queen's hubby is hospitalized with a bladder infection while Her Highness continually celebrates those 60 years on the throne?

You can't make up this stuff.