View Full Version : What is it with Churchs?

Roadhawg
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
The God I believe in teaches love and tolerance... These so called men of God are the reason I don't like organized religion.

Boy sings 'ain't no homo gonna make it to heaven' in church Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-sings-homo-gonna-heaven-church-pastor-receiving-death-threats-report-article-1.1087165#ixzz1wTKk3mXI

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/curtis-knapp-kansas-pastor-death-of-gays-defense-cnn_n_1559293.html

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/05/23/pastor-put-gays-behind-electric-fence

Kaye
05-31-2012, 01:32 PM
That's horrible. I guess their Bibles are all missing things that are in mine..."Judge not, lest ye be judged". "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". And isn't their something about "Thou shalt not kill'? If these people think that homosexuality is sinful, that's their right. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I wonder how God will judge them for what they're wanting to do to people who've not hurt anyone. Very hypocritical!

I couldn't get your NY article link to open. But as much as I can gather, raising a child to have such hatred...that may be the worst of all of it.

HewenttoJared
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
I think those are the exception, not the rule. I know plenty of churches around here that wouldn't tolerate anything like this story.

Kaye
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
I agree, definitely the exception. I think though sometimes all it takes is to read a few stories like this or have a bad experience with someone who is a church goer, but whose behavior is hypocritical to turn people off from churches in general. It's unfortunate.

PennyQuilts
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
No way am I going to wade into the waters of "my" church is more godly than "your" church. That is how wars are started.

GaryOKC6
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I think those are the exception, not the rule. I know plenty of churches around here that wouldn't tolerate anything like this story.

I agree. If you look long and hard enough at anything you will always find the extreme nut jobs. This to me is not necessarily a reflection of organized religion.

Larry OKC
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
There are hypocrites everywhere (not just in the church), heck, you might even find 1 or 2 at tonights Thunder game. Does that mean you shouldn't enjoy the game or the Thunder or the NBA? By extension all of pro sports? Put it into perspective and compare scripture with scripture or "rightly dividing the Word of Truth". In other words, don't take a single phrase/verse/sentence out of context.

Larry OKC
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
No way am I going to wade into the waters of "my" church is more godly than "your" church. That is how wars are started.
Just be like Peter when he walked on the water like Jesus did...it was only after looking at all of the reasons why he shouldn't be able to he "waded" into the water instead...

bucktalk
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
there are hypocrites everywhere (not just in the church), heck, you might even find 1 or 2 at tonights thunder game. Does that mean you shouldn't enjoy the game or the thunder or the nba? By extension all of pro sports? Put it into perspective and compare scripture with scripture or "rightly dividing the word of truth". In other words, don't take a single phrase/verse/sentence out of context.

this!

RadicalModerate
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Amen to THAT, Brother.
Semantic Trivia/Significa: The root word of "hypocrite" is from the Greek term for "actor" or "one who puts on a mask".

I think that if all the kind, caring, "good" people took off the masks/removed the blinders . . .
Well . . . Even the Thunder Game could be a positive event.

However: I will not repent for the thought behind my comment, in a different context, regarding "the pastor" of Westboro "baptist" "church" and how snakes could provide a realtime/reallife learning opportunity . . . =)

Easy180
05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
When I first saw the video my first thought was please not in Oklahoma...Shew

Roadhawg
05-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I should have titled it what's with these hateful preachers.

PennyQuilts
05-31-2012, 07:24 PM
I should have titled it what's with these hateful preachers.

When I was raising my kids, televangelists were banned on the television. They are no longer banned but no one in this house is remotely interested in watching them. Well, I did walk in on the 700 club the other day and that was a surprise but there wasn't any bible thumping going on. Still, I was taken aback.

We have a preacher in our neighborhood - nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He heads a large congregation and has never once tried to save us. If we expressed an interest, I am sure he would "share the word" but he clearly understands that setting a good example and being a good neighbor and person is the best way to attract people who are ready. He is the kind of person who, if you needed spiritual guidance or thought someone else might, you'd trust to at least talk to. I wish more were like that.

Easy180
05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
When I was raising my kids, televangelists were banned on the television. They are no longer banned but no one in this house is remotely interested in watching them. Well, I did walk in on the 700 club the other day and that was a surprise but there wasn't any bible thumping going on. Still, I was taken aback.

Bet they displayed their address for convenience the entire time...God wants them to get some new HD cameras

Bunty
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
What kind of parents would want their kids to sing a song one way or the other about homosexuals? Let little kids be little kids.

I theorize the problem is that a number of people after finding out about the story are lacking in forgiveness for the homosexuals who led God into destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. Lack of forgiveness can make someone a very hateful and bitter person.

kevinpate
06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Church's like their chickens to be known for being a bit spicy and hot.

Do with that what ya will.

HewenttoJared
06-03-2012, 07:21 AM

We have a preacher in our neighborhood - nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He heads a large congregation and has never once tried to save us. If we expressed an interest, I am sure he would "share the word" but he clearly understands that setting a good example and being a good neighbor and person is the best way to attract people who are ready. He is the kind of person who, if you needed spiritual guidance or thought someone else might, you'd trust to at least talk to. I wish more were like that.

We watched them for entertainment from a very young age. Thought they were comedy until someone made me go to church once and I was like !!!! PEOPLE ARE LIKE THIS???

kevinpate
06-03-2012, 10:42 AM
... He is the kind of person who, if you needed spiritual guidance or thought someone else might, you'd trust to at least talk to. I wish more were like that.

In my experience, more are than aren't. If someone wants to have a discussion with a preacher and s/he wouldn't be comfortable talking to one's own, or if there isn't a one's own, suggesting a preacher who does not seek out a public mic or camera light tends to be a useful choice.

sacolton
06-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I was shocked when I saw how they indoctrinate their children to fear their own toys. Check this out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gs6GOeYK8

Easy180
06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
"Do you want to play with a toy that Jehovah hates?"

"Hell yes I do!"

Roadhawg
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Wonder if he dug it out of the trash when mom wasn't looking.

sacolton
06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Wonder if he dug it out of the trash when mom wasn't looking.

I would have! Strange to throw something like that away and not just give it back to the friend that gave it to him. I bet that toy was expensive! Sparlock rocks!

Roadhawg
06-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I would have! Strange to throw something like that away and not just give it back to the friend that gave it to him. I bet that toy was expensive! Sparlock rocks!

Jehovah probably took it for himself.

Garin
06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
When your standing in front of GOD answering questions , there will be no watered down judgement coming from his mouth. You won't be getting the life church version!

rcjunkie
06-06-2012, 04:11 AM
We watched them for entertainment from a very young age. Thought they were comedy until someone made me go to church once and I was like !!!! PEOPLE ARE LIKE THIS???

WOW, what church did you visit. I have attended church for the past 45 years, 27 at the same house of worship and I have never encountered anything like this.

ThomPaine
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I was shocked when I saw how they indoctrinate their children to fear their own toys. Check this out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gs6GOeYK8

"Caleb, is this toy magical?"
"Mm hmm."
"Who likes magic? Jehovah or satan?"
"Satan..."
"Right! Magic is bad, that's why Jehovah hates it."

I think the problem here is a mother who believes in magic toys...

Dustin
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Why do we even have churches? Aren't you supposed to speak to god alone?

Matthew 6:6
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Soonerman
06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I always thought they had good fried chicken.

HewenttoJared
06-07-2012, 06:52 AM
WOW, what church did you visit. I have attended church for the past 45 years, 27 at the same house of worship and I have never encountered anything like this.

A few baptist and a couple non-denominational charismatic. My parents are from very different religious backgrounds but when we visited grandparents we always had to go no matter what town we happened to be in.

White Peacock
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
When your standing in front of GOD answering questions , there will be no watered down judgement coming from his mouth. You won't be getting the life church version!

Come on...but there will be a Starbucks there, right? I'd like to be able to get a venti java chip frappuccino with an extra espresso shot for the trip to the basement.

kevinpate
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Being no fan of Starbucks, perhaps one will have to go to the basement before getting in line to place an order, behind 12 folks not well versed with the menu.

White Peacock
06-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Being no fan of Starbucks, perhaps one will have to go to the basement before getting in line to place an order, behind 12 folks not well versed with the menu.

"I don't want no damn venti, goddamnit. I want a large!"