View Full Version : What do you look for

mranderson
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
When you look for possible mates of the opposite sex, what do you look for? Do you want Ken or Barbie? Do you want someone just to have fun? Are you looking for a serious relationship? Chat about the qualities. Their hobbies and activities. What is important in both a positive and negitiave way?

suzi
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I look for someone who doesn't dwell on past relationships. My philosophy is you live and learn but if you keep going back to it, you haven't learned a thing! Someone that I can have a conversation with about several different subjects. When I say conversation I mean being able to discuss more than one point of view and not trying to convince me my view is totally wrong. We all have a right to our opinion and no one is right or wrong, that's what an opinion is all about. Respect for each other, a friendship that could develop into more. Treating me like a lady when we're in public even if we are "just friends" and, last but certainly not least, common interests. For me that would be vegie gardens, dogs, fishing, reading and a desire to learn more about all people.

bandnerd
05-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Well, first of all I don't call them a "mate." It just seems weird to me.

I look for someone who is not a pushover, who has an opinion about things, who is intelligent, and who can have a sense of humor when it is appropriate. They don't have to have the perfect body, because I don't and I think that is an unrealistic expectation living in a state that is generally so unhealthy.

However, even though I have made my list, it doesn't mean that I "look" for these things. It takes awhile to get to know a person, and first impressions often aren't true.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
05-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Someone who's single is a start for me...

Luke
05-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Confidence, Intellect and Humor... From there it's all gravy.

jenncole
05-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Someone who's single is a start for me...

true that. El Gato.

Curt
05-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I look for someone that will be true to me, someone that does not feel they need other male friends, which always seems to be my case.

Ms.Relaxationstation
05-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I look for best friend material. If he can be my best friend and someone I can laugh with...then he gets a foot in the door.

Curt
05-23-2005, 05:36 AM
I look for best friend material. If he can be my best friend and someone I can laugh with...then he gets a foot in the door.
I think I need to learn from this. My problem is I try to be a lover first, then a friend.

mranderson
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Do we have a lot of interests in common? We do not need to be a perfect match, and some can be major differences, however, are there enough to have a good time?

Is she friendly toward people? She doesn't have to like my friends, but I expect her to be respectful toward them. This has never really been a problem, however.

Is there potential to eventually develop a long term relationship? I am looking for a woman to spend the rest of my life with. Is she looking for the same in a man.

Is she stable mentally, career, and otherwise?

How flexable is she in where she will live if we do marry?

What is her background? Does she come from a healthy (all aspects) family?

What does she want for her future? To retire and travel, to raise her small children, etc.

How willing is she to communicate? All areas, like telling you frankly if something needs to change or if she is ready for something. Signals are not always enough.

Looks, although important (both facial and figure), they are not the most important. Many times, a beautiful woman will leave when Stanley Stunning appears.

Is she looking for a bank account, or is she looking at the real me? (if it's the bank account, she is in for a rude awakening)

Are her kids (if any) well behaived and polite?

Are we compatiable politically? Are her religious beliefs acceptable?

There are more, however, this is the majority.

Keith
05-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I hope you don't look for this. He has way too many piercings....do you think he could get a real job with all of the piercings he has?
http://kochugov.ru/piercingblog/Filling_in_the_holes_2.jpg

Curt
05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
I dont think he could get a real job.............but he'd make a killin' on the freak show circuit.

Jay
05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
I hope you don't look for this. He has way too many piercings....do you think he could get a real job with all of the piercings he has?
http://kochugov.ru/piercingblog/Filling_in_the_holes_2.jpg

Just give it time, I am sure some lawyer will claim not hiring this guy will be appearance discrmination. As much as I hate to say it. Professional appearance standards are probably going to be a thing of the past in about 10-20 years. When you go out to dinner your waiter will look like this and he will not have showered, shaved or brushed his teeth in the last 6 weeks.

soypreciosa
05-24-2005, 11:31 AM
I really don't care for the phrase "what do you look for" because I don't have a list that I check each time I meet someone new but the question is "what do you look for". SO......... with that in mind I'd have to say that above all else I want someone that knows how important communication is and with life being so crazy the ability to laugh. Things like character, intellect, values, family, and inside qualities are things that come with getting to know a person.

Leon
05-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Can't say, haven't dated in a long time.....but I could give a long list of what I'm NOT looking for.