View Full Version : Serpent-Handling Pastor Dies from Rattlesnake Bite

ThomPaine
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Anytime a person purposely messes around with a wild animal, for religious reasons or not, I root for the animal...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/serpent-handling-pastor-profiled-earlier-in-washington-post-dies-from-rattlesnake-bite/2012/05/29/gJQAJef5zU_story.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/serpent-handling-pastor-profiled-earlier-in-washington-post-dies-from-rattlesnake-bite/2012/05/29/gJQAJef5zU_story.html)

By Julia Duin, Updated: Tuesday, May 29, 8:35 PM

Mack Wolford, a flamboyant Pentecostal pastor from West Virginia, hoped the outdoor service he had planned for Sunday at an isolated state park would be a “homecoming like the old days,” full of folks speaking in tongues, handling snakes and having a “great time.” But it was not the sort of homecoming he foresaw.

Instead, Wolford, who turned 44 the previous day, was bitten by a rattlesnake he owned for years. He died late Sunday.

Mark Randall “Mack” Wolford was known all over Appalachia as a daring man of conviction. He believed that the Bible mandates that Christians handle serpents to test their faith in God — and that, if they are bitten, they trust in God alone to heal them.

He and other adherents cited Mark 16:17-18 as the reason for their practice: “And these signs will follow those who believe: in My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

The son of a serpent handler who himself died in 1983 after being bitten, Wolford was trying to keep the practice alive, both in West Virginia, where it is legal, and in neighboring states where it is not. He was the kind of man reporters love: articulate, friendly and appreciative of media attention. Many serpent-handling Pentecostals retreat from journalists, but Wolford didn’t. He’d take them on snake-hunting expeditions.

Last Sunday started as a festive outdoor service on a sunny afternoon at Panther Wildlife Management Area, a state park roughly 80 miles west of Bluefield, W.Va. In the preceding days, Wolford had posted several teasers on his Facebook page asking people to attend.

“I am looking for a great time this Sunday,” he wrote May 22. “It is going to be a homecoming like the old days. Good ’ole raised in the holler or mountain ridge running, Holy Ghost-filled speaking-in-tongues sign believers.”

“Praise the Lord and pass the rattlesnakes, brother” he wrote on May 23. He also invited his extended family, who had largely given up the practice of serpent handling, to come to the park.

“At one time or another, we had handled [snakes], but we had backslid,” his sister, Robin Vanover, said Monday evening. “His birthday was Saturday, and all he wanted to do is get his brothers and sisters in church together.”

And so they were gathered at this evangelistic hootenanny of Christian praise and worship. About 30 minutes into the service, his sister said, Wolford passed a yellow timber rattlesnake to a church member and his mother.

“He laid it on the ground,” she said, “and he sat down next to the snake, and it bit him on the thigh.”

A state forester, who was not authorized to speak on the record, said park officials were unaware of Wolford’s activities. “Had we known he had poisonous animals, we would have never allowed it,” he said.

The festivities came to a halt shortly thereafter, and Wolford was taken back to a relative’s house in Bluefield to recover, as he always had when suffering from previous snake bites. By late afternoon, it was clear that this time was different, and desperate messages began flying about on Facebook, asking for prayer.

Wolford got progressively worse. Paramedics transported him to Bluefield Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. It could not be determined when the paramedics were called.

Wolford was 15 when he saw his father die at age 39 of a rattlesnake bite in almost exactly the same circumstances.

“He lived 101 / 2 hours,” Wolford told The Washington Post last fall. “When he got bit, he said he wanted to die in the church. Three hours after he was bitten, his kidneys shut down. After a while, your heart stops. I hated to see him go, but he died for what he believed in.”

According to people who witnessed Mack Wolford’s death, history repeated itself. He was bitten roughly at 1:30 p.m.; he died about 11 that night.

One of the people present was Lauren Pond, 26, a freelance photographer from the District. She had been photographing serpent handlers in the area for more than a year, including for The Post, and stayed at Wolford’s home in November.

“He helped me to understand the faith instead of just documenting it,” she said Tuesday. “He was one of the most open pastors I’ve ever met.
He was a friend and a teacher.”

The family allowed her to stay near Wolford’s side Sunday night, and she’s still recovering from having witnessed the pastor’s agonizing death. “I didn’t see the bite,” she said. “I saw the aftermath.”

In an interview with The Post for last year’s story, Jim Murphy, curator of the Reptile Discovery Center at the National Zoo, described what happens when a rattlesnake bites.

The pain is “excruciating,” he said. “The venom attacks the nervous system. It’s vicious and gruesome when it hits.”

But Wolford refused to fear the creatures. He slung poisonous snakes around his neck, danced with them, even laid down on or near them. He displayed spots on his right hand where copperheads had sunk their fangs. His home in Bluefield had a spare bedroom filled with at least eight venomous snakes: usually rattlers, water moccasins and copperheads that he fed rats and mice. He was passionate about wanting to help churches in nearby states — including North Carolina and Tennessee, where the practice is illegal — start up their own serpent-handling services.

“I promised the Lord I’d do everything in my power to keep the faith going,” he said in October. “I spend a lot of time going a lot of places that handle serpents to keep themmotivated. I’m trying to get anybody I can get involved.”

His funeral will be held Saturday at his church, House of the Lord Jesus, in Matoaka, just north of Bluefield.

PennyQuilts
05-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I am very sorry he suffered and died. The good news is that he was probably whisked straight to heaven. And upon arrival, probably was told he was being a dumbass by St. Peter.

Sorry - don't mean to be a jerk. I know handling serpents is biblical and a lot of people believe in that but it just seems to be asking for it and "showing off" your faith. Besides, this guy's dad died from a snakebite. You'd think that would be a message from on high to leave them alone. If God really wanted them to be handling snakes, you'd think put a stop to that dying of snake bite stuff. It would be different if people of faith could handle then, safely, and others couldn't. Absent that, I am not sure the point other than to say they trust god to forgive them their recklessness.

I need to quit trying to figure this stuff out. Still, no offense to god or christians, but people should let poisoness snakes be, seems to me.

Midtowner
05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Darwin.

Roadhawg
05-30-2012, 08:55 AM
I lived in NW Georgia for a while and there was a snake handling church about 20 miles from me. Darwin is right.

RadicalModerate
05-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Has anyone thought about emailing this story to Fred Phelps in Topeka, Kansas?
Not as a "warning" or a "threat" . . .
More as a friendly suggestion regarding a way for him to prove The Truth of His "Religious" Convictions.

Perhaps with a gift certificate for a Black Mamba or a cobra?

Roadhawg
05-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I would donate... Seen his work close up too many times :(

ThomPaine
05-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I would donate... Seen his work close up too many times :(

Same here. Seems like I have a list around here somewhere of people I wish were snake handlers...

RadicalModerate
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
On the other hand . . .
Placing a deadly poisonous snake--of whatever "denominational persuasion"--in the position of possibly having to bite Fred Phelps, could be construed as a Venial, perhaps even Mortal, Sin against snakes.

Not to mention the Scriptural "suggestion" that it is "unwise" to [test/tempt G-d].

(Hmmm . . . I wonder if St. Augustine or Martin Luther had anything to say on the topic . . .
I might consider asking Saul of Tarsus (a.k.a. Paul) . . . but I'd be reluctant to consult Moses:
He might slap me upside the head with his staff for asking, accompanied by the rabbincal admonition:
"What? You never read your 'Bible'? (oy veh . . .)"

White Peacock
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I like stories like this. They take up the serpents because faith protects them from the venom, but when the snake bites and the person dies, they maintain the faith and the practice, and have some faith-maintaining answer like "God works in mysterious ways". All the while, if they're bitten and survive, it's because "God is good". You can't have it both ways. Either your faith protects you from the venom, or it doesn't.

Maybe God only works with asps or cobras. I don't think they had rattlers in the Old World, so perhaps it catches Yahweh off guard.

RadicalModerate
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
That was an interesting response to this News Item . . .
(from an "atheist"? perspective? no insult nor slight intended)

Some Believers/Followers of The Way might say . . .
"Well . . . Obviously, he didn't have enough Faith . . ."

Others might echo the imagined thoughts St. Peter as expressed by Poster #2: "What a dumbass."

All of this brings to mind, "'the informal parable' of Ba'laam and His Donkey (ass)":
Apparently, it is better for preachers, who choose to handle snakes, to keep their mouths shut (and vice-versa) than it is for a jackass to represent The Faith.

I apologize for any subliminal, unintended reference to any symbol of any political party now or in the future.
After all . . . one must respect that mythological wall separating church and state.

White Peacock
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
That was an interesting response to this News Item . . .
(from an "atheist"? perspective? no insult nor slight intended)

Some Believers/Followers of The Way might say . . .
"Well . . . Obviously, he didn't have enough Faith . . ."

Others might echo the imagined thoughts St. Peter as expressed by Poster #2: "What a dumbass."

All of this brings to mind, "'the informal parable' of Ba'laam and His Donkey (ass)":
Apparently, it is better for preachers, who choose to handle snakes, to keep their mouths shut (and vice-versa) than it is for a jackass to represent The Faith.

I apologize for any subliminal, unintended reference to any symbol of any political party now or in the future.
After all . . . one must respect that mythological wall separating church and state.

Atheist, no. I'm just partial to logic and like to point out the fallacies that permit people to maintain illogical stances when reality tries so hard to slap them in the face. For instance, irresponsible, religious parents who refuse to get their children medical care, trusting that God will heal them, and when the child dies, their faith is oddly unshaken. If it works, yay, God is great! If it doesn't, yay, God is mysterious and he's opened new doors for us!

kevinpate
05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I have absolute faith in the concept of snake handling. I am unshakeable in my conviction if I handle a poisonous snake, it is not going to end well for me. So I go through life with one simple rule ... I don't do it. So far, no bites, no smotes. I like my faith more than his.

ThomPaine
05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Atheist, no. I'm just partial to logic and like to point out the fallacies that permit people to maintain illogical stances when reality tries so hard to slap them in the face. For instance, irresponsible, religious parents who refuse to get their children medical care, trusting that God will heal them, and when the child dies, their faith is oddly unshaken. If it works, yay, God is great! If it doesn't, yay, God is mysterious and he's opened new doors for us!

In a similar vein, but not exactly the same, I cringe every time there is a natural disaster that results in deaths, and somebody says "God was watching out for me. If not, I would have died." I always feel bad for the loved ones of those who perished. I know those folks who claim God saved them mean no harm, and probably do feel blessed, but I always feel like it sends the message that God did not look out for those who were killed.

Of course, on the flip side, if you believe that you receive your heavenly reward upon your death, then those who survived here on earth are the ones God really wasn't looking out for... Doh!

HewenttoJared
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Darwin.

Did he already have kids? Clearly his own fathers death from a snake didn't lower his fitness. ;)

Kaye
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I am very sorry he suffered and died. The good news is that he was probably whisked straight to heaven. And upon arrival, probably was told he was being a dumbass by St. Peter.

Sorry - don't mean to be a jerk. I know handling serpents is biblical and a lot of people believe in that but it just seems to be asking for it and "showing off" your faith. Besides, this guy's dad died from a snakebite. You'd think that would be a message from on high to leave them alone. If God really wanted them to be handling snakes, you'd think put a stop to that dying of snake bite stuff. It would be different if people of faith could handle then, safely, and others couldn't. Absent that, I am not sure the point other than to say they trust god to forgive them their recklessness.

I need to quit trying to figure this stuff out. Still, no offense to god or christians, but people should let poisoness snakes be, seems to me.

Well said!